Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!
I can't be the only one who thought the whole Hot Pot Party scene was totally :allears: :3:
Utterly adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Hot-Pot scene was great and then it became the best by having Izaya get jealous over how nobody likes him enough to invite him over for dinner.

Nat
Apr 3, 2012
I'm also going to jump on the bandwagon and say I really, really loved the hotpot scene full of weirdos. This episode itself had a nice pace to it, to the point where something was always going on that kept me interested and left me wanting more. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but the slight irritation on Izaya's face when his sisters ask him if he has no friends to have a hotpot with was cute. Good job to the person who animated that, or did the storyboards.

Nat fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 1, 2015

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
The best part of the hotpot scene was all those weirdos having fun together while Shizuo is just sat in the middle eating his food with the sternest look on his face.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Man I am going to have to rewatch season 1?

It's funny how they got the same voice actors for Izaya and the (younger?) sister as Karen and Arararagi.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

InspectorCarbonara posted:

The best part of the hotpot scene was all those weirdos having fun together while Shizuo is just sat in the middle eating his food with the sternest look on his face.

He's just trying really hard to not smile.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I think the part I enjoy most is how every time Shizuo's brother and Hollywood interact its basically two Anime Valium Kids slowly bouncing off of each other unsure how to deal with meeting the same archetype character as themselves. Its like the conversational version of two balloons slowly knocking into each other and there's something hilarious about it I can't pin down.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

Man I am going to have to rewatch season 1?

It's funny how they got the same voice actors for Izaya and the (younger?) sister as Karen and Arararagi.
Every smart man should've rewatched season 1 right before this started airing (like I did)

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Grouchio posted:

Every smart man should've rewatched season 1 right before this started airing (like I did)

Try the dub, it's worth it just for the Baccano cameo, and it's much easier to run in the background while doing other things.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
I cannot stop laughing at this. Out of curiosity I street-viewed Ikebukero and the first place I land has the black rider :v:

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

erika's moe level was off the charts this episode. also izaya saying vacation's over bitches was cool.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

pointlessone posted:

Try the dub, it's worth it just for the Baccano cameo, and it's much easier to run in the background while doing other things.

But the dub has different VA's for Isaac and Miria.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Genocyber posted:

But the dub has different VA's for Isaac and Miria.

Did it? It's been years since I watched Baccano. I should rewatch it again, just because it's good.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I watched the durarara dub right after rewatching Baccano a while back and yeah, not only are the VAs different they sound so different that it's jarring.

It also cemented my opinion that the main reason durarara got such a bad rap is solely on Masaomi's lovely, lovely shoulders

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 3, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

awww shizuo made a friend

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I couldn't help but notice a clip from Samurai Flamenco at the beginning of this episode. On the big screen during Izaya's speech, there's a clip from the show within a show, Harakiri Samurai.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, they didn't even show Chikage and Shizuo's fight. :(

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well I think we got the gist of it. Shizuo punched Chikage 4 times. Each time he got up and taunted him.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Holy crap poo poo's actually going to go down.

Vorona and Chikage are awesome.

Are they condensing volumes 5 and 6 here?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think the implication that Chikage was getting up after the first three punches was badass enough to make up for the no-show in the fight. Chikage's girlfriends chastising him for getting his rear end kicked and Shizuo actually being enough of a bro to drop him at Shinra's was kinda funny. What actually got me laughing out loud (and a bit grossed out) was Namie's narration/monologue about how fake and foolish all human relationships are, except for her love of her little brother Seiji of course. Taking into account the very first arc of the series and how things went down because of said character's being "too legit to quit", I can't help but to find the whole spiel really dumb and super funny.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Looking back on the first season, it really was almost entirely setting up this world/environment and the principle characters. People soured on the third arc when now I'm convinced more than ever it would've been fine as long as it wasn't the final story to close out on. With all of that out of the way and the general infrastructure pretty well established now, it feels a lot tighter and snappier with that natural escalation of chaos that was done so well in Baccano!.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah i agree, i'm really into this season so far

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wark Say posted:

I think the implication that Chikage was getting up after the first three punches was badass enough to make up for the no-show in the fight. Chikage's girlfriends chastising him for getting his rear end kicked and Shizuo actually being enough of a bro to drop him at Shinra's was kinda funny. What actually got me laughing out loud (and a bit grossed out) was Namie's narration/monologue about how fake and foolish all human relationships are, except for her love of her little brother Seiji of course. Taking into account the very first arc of the series and how things went down because of said character's being "too legit to quit", I can't help but to find the whole spiel really dumb and super funny.

On Namie. She said her love of Seiji is not a love for Seiji the person. Stating Seiji the person, "is scum."

Honestly the lady just has issues.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

MonsterEnvy posted:

On Namie. She said her love of Seiji is not a love for Seiji the person. Stating Seiji the person, "is scum."

The headless horsewoman is probably the most well adjusted person in this show.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MonsterEnvy posted:

gently caress, that's right! It's a family thing: The Ronnie Retard approach to love! :suicide:

Nate RFB posted:

Looking back on the first season, it really was almost entirely setting up this world/environment and the principle characters. People soured on the third arc when now I'm convinced more than ever it would've been fine as long as it wasn't the final story to close out on. With all of that out of the way and the general infrastructure pretty well established now, it feels a lot tighter and snappier with that natural escalation of chaos that was done so well in Baccano!.
To be fair, Anri's arc showed that, after a little set up regarding the whole environment/characters, the results did yield unadulterated :toot::hf::black101: (Shizuo beating the poo poo out of the slashers and Anri confronting a few of her demons). I do, however, agree that closing out with Masaomi's arc was not a good way to go for such a long rear end time. I wonder if they decided to wait this long so that they could tackle that much more material without having to wait that long of a time.

Fangz posted:

The headless horsewoman is probably the most well adjusted person in this show.

Questionable. She's living with a nutcase that waltzes about in a labcoat. She might also be a tsundere which, if watching Nichibros has taught me anything, is a major, controversial topic of criminal psychology.

vvvv e:Fine. The nutcase that's been in love with her for 20+ years. vvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 8, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wark Say posted:

Questionable. She's living with a nutcase that waltzes about in a labcoat. She might also be a tsundere which, if watching Nichibros has taught me anything, is a major, controversial topic of criminal psychology.

Well the three Nutcases in labcoats that waltz around her house are doctors so they have excuses for their dress. Still I think she only lives with two nutcases in labcoats at the moment. The 3rd should move back in eventually.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

She insists on riding a motorbike with no headlights and has an incredibly paranoid fear of alien invasion so I'd say she's not quite right in the head.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

YF-23 posted:

She insists on riding a motorbike with no headlights and has an incredibly paranoid fear of alien invasion so I'd say she's not quite right in the head.
You made me laugh. Celty --"...not quite right in the head."

I'm enjoying the insanity, but I wish we'd get a little more about the main characters here too. Also, the twins. They are too much. I'm liking Shizuo's new friend a lot. Prediction: Based on the conversation he was having with his boss prior to meeting said friend, I think she's going to be his new love interest. Although, she seems young. Maybe just short. Hard to tell with anime girls.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Wark Say posted:

She's living with a nutcase that waltzes about in a labcoat.
vvvv e:Fine. The nutcase that's been in love with her for 20+ years. vvvv

The nutcase who fell in love with her after he helped his dad dissect her while she was strapped to a table naked and still alive.
They're very cute together, but drat that's hosed up.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The_White_Crane posted:

The nutcase who fell in love with her after he helped his dad dissect her while she was strapped to a table naked and still alive.

Wait, if the organism is still alive, then doesn't that count as Vivisecting?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The_White_Crane posted:

A nutcase who values their love so much that he is willing to sacrifice himself or her in order to preserve it. And Celty reciprocates this love despite knowing this.

There is no such thing as a well-adjusted character in Durarara.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think that, aside from employing and being friends with Shizuo, Tom is the most well-adjusted character. Then again, he probably hangs out with Shizuo off the clock, so who knows.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Dan7el posted:

I'm enjoying the insanity, but I wish we'd get a little more about the main characters here too. Also, the twins. They are too much. I'm liking Shizuo's new friend a lot. Prediction: Based on the conversation he was having with his boss prior to meeting said friend, I think she's going to be his new love interest. Although, she seems young. Maybe just short. Hard to tell with anime girls.

if you are talking about the girl who used the stun gun on shizuo she is like 9

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

can someone tell me what this is supposed to mean? crunchyroll cant

----------------

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

can someone tell me what this is supposed to mean? crunchyroll cant

It's a pun that was a backhanded compliment, and was poorly translated. Samu is more like having a cold/distant personality.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Speaking of the chat, it wasn't immediately obvious to me at first but the twins pull another personality switch in that Mairu only says one or two words at a time and Kururi talks non-stop. They even swapped their names from the looks of it.

I believe the current breakdown is:

Setton - Celty - Gray
Taro Tanaka - Mikado - Blue
Kanra - Izaya - Orange
Saika - Anri - Red
Bakyura - Kida - Green
Kuru - Mairu - Light Blue
Mai - Kururi - Violet

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

There is no such thing as a well-adjusted character in Durarara.
Blue eyes take warning

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dan7el posted:

She's 10

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Nate RFB posted:

Speaking of the chat, it wasn't immediately obvious to me at first but the twins pull another personality switch in that Mairu only says one or two words at a time and Kururi talks non-stop. They even swapped their names from the looks of it.

Nope. Mai's a chatterbox offline but can't type, so she's quiet. Kururi is the one who speaks a lot online.

Also, all of you arguing that Celty isn't sane haven't given a reason why she's not the (second, okay, behind Tom) most well adjusted member of the cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Senerio posted:

Nope. Mai's a chatterbox offline but can't type, so she's quiet. Kururi is the one who speaks a lot online.
That's exactly what I said :confused:

• Locked thread