Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I was expecting Mikado to show Masaomi his gun :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Redmark posted:

I was expecting Mikado to show Masaomi his gun :v:

I mean he still he hasn't really shown him anything, so there's still a chance.

Anyway, Nasujima's the worst character and it sucks that he and his dumb zombie plan are getting so much screentime.

Also, now that it's all coming to a conclusion one of the weirder things I find about Durarara is that despite how much it promotes the relationship between the three kids Mikado and Masaomi's arcs are super connected but Anri kinda deals with all her poo poo away from them. Like this season has been all about building to the confrontation between Masaomi and Mikado and all their development in the past 10 episodes has been a lead up to that, but for Anri it's been about dealing with her relationship with Saika and her issues with love and parasites and her passivity and stuff. And she's pretty much dealt with all that through her scenes with Kujiragi, Erika, Saki and basically the whole van crew like in the latest episode and it's barely features Masaomi or Mikado at all.

Like, they're all still good and interesting arcs but it's always been weird to me that the story keeps focusing on the relationship between the three of them even though as the plot goes on that relationship begins to feel less and less important especially in regards to Anri. It's just sort of strange.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The funniest thing about Durarara is how, despite how much effort Mika put into keeping Seiji away from shenanigans / relevance by bugging the hell out of everyone, Rocchi still found out about him and used it to troll the big sister about it.

What I'm saying is that Rocchi is the best.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean he still he hasn't really shown him anything, so there's still a chance.

Anyway, Nasujima's the worst character and it sucks that he and his dumb zombie plan are getting so much screentime.

Also, now that it's all coming to a conclusion one of the weirder things I find about Durarara is that despite how much it promotes the relationship between the three kids Mikado and Masaomi's arcs are super connected but Anri kinda deals with all her poo poo away from them. Like this season has been all about building to the confrontation between Masaomi and Mikado and all their development in the past 10 episodes has been a lead up to that, but for Anri it's been about dealing with her relationship with Saika and her issues with love and parasites and her passivity and stuff. And she's pretty much dealt with all that through her scenes with Kujiragi, Erika, Saki and basically the whole van crew like in the latest episode and it's barely features Masaomi or Mikado at all.

Like, they're all still good and interesting arcs but it's always been weird to me that the story keeps focusing on the relationship between the three of them even though as the plot goes on that relationship begins to feel less and less important especially in regards to Anri. It's just sort of strange.

That's okay though because Anri is awesome.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Myriad Truths posted:

'struth

And holy poo poo did I ever laugh at Erika's serendipitous disguise.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Myriad Truths posted:

Oh yeah, it's not bad at all. From the beginning Anri had a lot more interesting interactions with everyone outside of Mikado and Masaomi. I just find it weird the show keeps going on about the three of them as a trio even though she keeps having more important scenes with everyone else.

Like at this point Anri has had more significant development with Masaomi's girlfriend than with Masaomi himself.

Wark Say posted:

The funniest thing about Durarara is how, despite how much effort Mika put into keeping Seiji away from shenanigans / relevance by bugging the hell out of everyone, Rocchi still found out about him and used it to troll the big sister about it.

What I'm saying is that Rocchi is the best.

Chikage is indeed the greatest and i'm basically attributing it to him that Masaomi's arc has improved like tenfold this season.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

a kitten posted:

'struth

And holy poo poo did I ever laugh at Erika's serendipitous disguise.

Yeah that was excellent. I was not expecting that, and yet it makes total sense.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It worked in Shaun of the Dead after all.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
well, I haven't seen that since it was in the theatres, so :v:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
So Crunchyroll somehow messed up the order again :buddy:

And holy poo poo that motherfucker Mikado actually went for it. I was not expecting that. He was seriously rolling the dice too, that could've just killed Masaomi.

Man I still can't get over the big gun into fuckin' KGB-style little gun into heat check suicide combo. Dude is on a roll...

Redmark fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 19, 2016

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
That's not what a fire extinguisher is for, pal.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Assuming there is only one more episode to wrap it up, man are there a lot of characters and plotlines that just kind of went nowhere. I'm vaguely aware that there is a sequel so maybe some of them like Izaya's sisters get more attention there.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mikado you crazy goddamn bastard. I loving love that he decides to end the Dollars by putting it on the Mafia and the Police's hit list, subsequently tries to murder his best friend and by the end of it he's just kinda thinking about how awful he is and how boring it's become. So he decides to kill himself with the hope that there'd be something exciting in the afterlife. What a loving great character.

Also, a completely random Baccano reference that no one who hasn't read the novels would understand. The tiny gun Mikado uses was made by Huey Laforet the dude behind the black suits in the 1931 arc, and the leader of the black suits actually uses that gun in the novel. And for some reason Narita decided to make a completely random reference to it. It's sort of weird.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master
What the hell is even going on anymore. I didn't think this clusterfuck could get any bgiger.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Why are those credits starting, it can't be over ye...

uh, drat.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Feel bad for Anri tbh, all that worrying about being inhuman and she ends up less hosed up than pretty much everybody else. Should've just slashed everyone and be done with it :v:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Last episode is up! Hope it's good. :ohdear:

I might procrastinate on it for a bit, just because i don't know if i want it to actually be over...even if i do want the story to reach a conclusion.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I liked it, the ending was good. Takahashi though certainly got a Bad End though :gonk:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

I liked it, the ending was good. Takahashi though certainly got a Bad End though :gonk:

That was a solid ending. He is getting everything he deserves and more. Also, now that I think about it, it makes total sense that he would have no control over her, for if a true Saika blade couldn't control her then whatever crappy knock off he had would be child's pray to break free off.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
:perfect:

I can't really keep track of all the mechanics though, so what was the significance of slashing Celty with Shinra's Saika, if she retained the head's memories this time? Does the head contain more than just memories, but a separate will that struggles against the body? In that case sending it off to Nebula to float in a case again is kind of a jerk move.

And the gently caress is Haruna going to do with those knives? :gonk:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think cutting off the head was unneeded. Celty was going to catch him and she likely would have done something similar from him nearly dying. Plus if she kept her head she would be able to talk like a normal person.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Anri, you should kiss that idiot.

Good poo poo, kinda can't believe it's over.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Redmark posted:

:perfect:

I can't really keep track of all the mechanics though, so what was the significance of slashing Celty with Shinra's Saika, if she retained the head's memories this time? Does the head contain more than just memories, but a separate will that struggles against the body? In that case sending it off to Nebula to float in a case again is kind of a jerk move.

And the gently caress is Haruna going to do with those knives? :gonk:

As far as I understand it, Shinra's plan was basically to force Celty into a situation where she'll stay in Ikebukuro. And like Shinra said he was denying her future as a Dullahan by cutting off her head because if she became a full dullahan again she'd have a job to do as envoy of death or whatever and would need to leave. It's supposed to be like super significant because for possibly the first time in his life Shinra is doing something for Celty's sake rather than his own or for their relationship. Because Shooter makes it clear that deep down Celty wants to stay so Shinra is giving her an excuse to do what she wants even though if she does retain her memories afterwards she might not be happy with him for y'know denying her choices and all that. The novel makes it clear that that moment is a sign of a twisted love becoming untwisted or something, but without a narrator it's kind of hard to explain.

Anyway that was a solid episode even though it was mostly just giving an epilogue for all the characters involved in this last arc. Though I can't recall if they ever actually explained what Ruri and Kujiragi's relationship was. Also, Nasujima is the worst and i'm glad he got run over. Everything else though was kinda creepy tbh.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Anyway that was a solid episode even though it was mostly just giving an epilogue for all the characters involved in this last arc. Though I can't recall if they ever actually explained what Ruri and Kujiragi's relationship was. Also, Nasujima is the worst and i'm glad he got run over. Everything else though was kinda creepy tbh.

Kujiragi's was said to be her aunt.

Anyway Kujiragi despite causing all the problems the entire second season did not even have anything bad happen to her surprisingly.

I know Izumii after his fight with Kadota's gang just straight up joined the Awakusu and I think he's the last player of this arc we did not see the fate of.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
Does anyone who has read the light novels know if this is the end of the light novel as well?

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

MonsterEnvy posted:

Kujiragi's was said to be her aunt.

Anyway Kujiragi despite causing all the problems the entire second season did not even have anything bad happen to her surprisingly.

I think controlling a saika and having a constant voice in your head is bad enough, honestly. On top of the other psychological problems she clearly has.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

UchihaHirou posted:

Does anyone who has read the light novels know if this is the end of the light novel as well?

sorta. It's the end of the initial durarara series but there's a sequel series now too

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

UchihaHirou posted:

Yeah basically. There's a sequel series out but apparently it's mostly about new characters and a few of the less important ones from this series. Like Izaya's sisters and Aoba.

Also, there's apparently an Izaya series which is set after he leaves Ikebukuro and is mostly about him getting into information broker shenanigans while staying as far away from Ikebukuro as possible. And he's in a wheelchair because Shizuo broke all his bones.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

And he's in a wheelchair because Shizuo broke all his bones.

I'm glad Shizuo didn't kill him, but even more glad he did shatter his stupid arms.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

a kitten posted:

I'm glad Shizuo didn't kill him, but even more glad he did shatter his stupid arms.

Speaking of I just really love the final battle between Shizuo and Izaya in general. Turns out Izaya's big plan was not really having one, he legitimately did just want to see what the humans in Ikebukuro would do in the situation they're in. And so his entire thing this season is just to get Shizuo into a big deathmatch where either he can kill this goddamn monster that is daring to try and pass off as one of his beloved humans or Shizuo can kill him and prove himself to the world that he is a monster. Whoever dies Izaya wins.

But just like during the whole Akane thing Izaya completely underestimates how human Shizuo really is, because he has friends that care about him and don't want him to turn into a murderer. And then the same thing happens with Varona when just like Shizuo she's proven to not be a monster when Simon stops her from taking the kill shot and then Shizuo and Tom express relief about her being ok.
It's some good stuff and ties in a lot of different things together.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I find it funny that despite what a bunch of people thought. Izaya really did not have much to do with the plots of the final arc. He attacked Shizuo and tried to kill him, but that is really all he did this season. He had nothing to do with any of the other events.

Also here is funny little trivia about Durarara SH the sequel series.

quote:

The “SH” in the title is an abbreviation of “Snake Hands.” Derived from the Chinese idiom “adding legs to a snake,” it refers to the act of adding unnecessary details onto something that should otherwise be complete. It originates from a tale in which several men compete to finish a drawing of a snake as quickly as they can. The story goes that the man who completed his snake first went so far as to add legs, resulting in his ultimate defeat.

Durarara!! SH itself is the "snake’s legs" to Durarara!!. With the original series resolved, Narita refers to the sequel as an unnecessary addition to an otherwise complete story. However, he goes on to state that were the legs of a snake to evolve into arms and further into hands, then the snake could become a dragon and thereby grow into something greater than what is was before.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 27, 2016

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Dang, can't believe it's over, though it's a miracle the rest even got adapted at all. I'll have to rewatch all of it at once one of these days just to get a complete understanding.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah that was a good end and a satisfying series. If course it mostly makes me want to rewatch Baccano...

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
question for the thread:
what does Nasujima get out of repeatedly stabbing Ryugamine? as far as understood it he shaun of the dead'd the sushi place for Tom; in order to draw out and enslave Shizuo. A path to power as stupid as it is vaguely defined. Nasujima, who was never the clever manipulator he thought he was, suddenly breaks down and attacks mikado, why? target of opportunity? putting a small tick in the win column after a brutal defeat? Huh? his knife isn't a saika blade and,and if he thinks it is, he discovered that night that tiny nicks work just as well.
One of the series strengths is that characters always had unique motivations and goals and behaved in a human manner to achieve them even when using extra-ordinary means. His (title case) Fall From Grace happens so he can receive Karmic Punishment and be Condemned To A Fate Worse Than Death, smacks as a contrived and Trope-y Capstone.

Am I reading this wrong?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
He was trying to stab Akane but Ryugamine got in the way.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015

Hunt11 posted:

He was trying to stab Akane but Ryugamine got in the way.
the little Awakusu princess? did i miss that much?

here's how I remember it went down, Nasujima sees what he thinks are the dollars congregating and gives explicit orders "don't attack until we know which one is Mikado" cool he's opportunistically targeting Ryugamine. Cross-fade to Nasujima sees Mikado does the anime thing and screams his target's name immediately preceding a sneak attack, Anri steps in drawing her saika, when Ryugamine shoves her away and takes the hit instead. Nasujima blunders into an active roadway gets a face full of fender for his trouble, crowds cheer and the author holds up neon sign that reads "do you see what this says about my characters?!"

yeah understand "Show, don't Tell" but previously the series never had to resort to this kind of signposting, to have people who I thought were human enough, suddenly behave so bluntly storybook-like struck me with an capital "Thunk".

skullhead tethyis fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 30, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I thought Nasujima was obsessed with Anri, and attacked Mikado out of envy.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

skullhead tethyis posted:

the little Awakusu princess? did i miss that much?

here's how I remember it went down, Nasujima sees what he thinks are the dollars congregating and gives explicit orders "don't attack until we know which one is Mikado" cool he's opportunistically targeting Ryugamine. Cross-fade to Nasujima sees Mikado does the anime thing and screams his target's name immediately preceding a sneak attack, Anri steps in drawing her saika, when Ryugamine shoves her away and takes the hit instead. Nasujima blunders into an active roadway gets a face full of fender for his trouble, crowds cheer and the author holds up neon sign that reads "do you see what this says about my characters?!"

yeah understand "Show, don't Tell" but previously the series never had to resort to this kind of signposting, to have people who I thought were human enough, suddenly behave so bluntly storybook-like struck me with an capital "Thunk".

Wrong person I meant to say Anri

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
What happened at the end with Aoba and him not being allowed to give Ryuugamine flowers? :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zogundar posted:

What happened at the end with Aoba and him not being allowed to give Ryuugamine flowers? :downs:

He got threatened by the mafia and got scared + angry. So he threw the flowers in frustration.

• Locked thread