Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

bigass jncos posted:

Durarara is cool because the only good way to say it is to make motorcycle noises.
Or Whitebeard laughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Or stuttering. Durarararagi

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Man, I watched the first two episodes and realized that I've forgotten almost everything that happened in season 1. Time to go back and rewatch!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SyntheticPolygon posted:

There had to have been a less awkward way of presenting events in a non-chronological order other than having Shinra explain everything to the audience.

You know exactly why they need him to do this and it's not funny that you forgot.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Gyre posted:

Man, I watched the first two episodes and realized that I've forgotten almost everything that happened in season 1. Time to go back and rewatch!

I did this as soon as I knew a new season was airing, because I remembered how little I remembered (Izaya is a total fuckhole).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Izaya is the second best character because 1)He is a conniving mastermind who gives no fucks and 2)he leads Shizuo on rampaging adventures.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Just who the hell is that actress anyway?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i read that this is going to run for three split cours?

is that true because holy poo poo that'd rule

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cake Attack posted:

It does, in fact, rule, friend.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

Yes. It does rule, and is forcing the writers to pick up the pace which is very appreciated. Even if that means it has to rush through some things.

Also this episode was good because it had clear parallels to some of the major themes of the show, which is nice.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grouchio posted:

Just who the hell is that actress anyway?

The only real reference we've had to her before this season is that she's the idol chick Togusa obsesses over (I think).

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She is basically a new character, which is why this episode was largely dedicated to exploring her personality and motives and connections to other characters.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I mean what kind of 'monster' is she? A simple murderer or a vampire? Or something else?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It kind of bothers me that most of the characters seem to have proportions now as if they were designed by CLAMP.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

It kind of bothers me that most of the characters seem to have proportions now as if they were designed by CLAMP.
I believe that only the wounded Russian guy has those kind of proportions.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Grouchio posted:

I mean what kind of 'monster' is she? A simple murderer or a vampire? Or something else?

She clearly has some kind of regenerative ability, from what the doctor guy said.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Grouchio posted:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Or she could just be like Shizuo, an anomaly amongst humans. It's not like he's a vampire or anything he's just freakishly strong because that's just how he is.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
That entire ending sequence that culminated with her alone back in her room was just so on point for the series---loving the new characters this season and I'm pretty sure I caught some nice new music in this episode as well.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Fangz posted:

She clearly has some kind of regenerative ability, from what the doctor guy said.

She also seems to be able to rip people apart with her bare hands.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

paragon1 posted:

She also seems to be able to rip people apart with her bare hands.
To survive that kinda fall without turning into a grotesque ragdoll, she can probably just ram her hand through somebody and worry about the consequences later. Sorta like how Shizuo's bones don't break anymore.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I got a big Hotline Miami vibe from the opening scene.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Woah. That was quite a step up from the first two episodes.

Also Shinra is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Celty actually gives it away at the end when she drops her off at her apartment building.

"You smell like me." She's part whatever the heck Celty is. Some ancient Irish thingy -- Dullahan .

Why she's compelled to kill people? Don't know. Seems like it's only certain folks though. I supposed they deserve it somehow? Maybe she's just following some pre-ingrained programming because of what she is?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dan7el posted:

Celty actually gives it away at the end when she drops her off at her apartment building.

"You smell like me." She's part whatever the heck Celty is. Some ancient Irish thingy -- Dullahan .

Why she's compelled to kill people? Don't know. Seems like it's only certain folks though. I supposed they deserve it somehow? Maybe she's just following some pre-ingrained programming because of what she is?

I'm pretty sure Celty means she smells non-human, not specifically Dullahan or Irish spirit of some sort.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
This episode reminded me why I loved the first season: all characters are huge wierdos :allears:

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I just finished my rewatch of the first season; there was a fair bit I had forgotten about these characters, even though thus far we're focusing on new and mostly-new characters. But man was the first season good. One thing I had forgotten that really surprised me at the time was how likeable Anri was. She's such a wet blanket in most scenes, I had forgotten about her being a proactive and interesting character. Hopefully that comes back for this season.

Just about everyone is great though. One of my favorite parts of this series is that it's simultaneously intricately plotted while still feeling very organic, like the characters are having their own lives that occasionally intersect in a natural way.

All I'm really saying is that this season hasn't really grabbed me so far but the series is really fantastic so I'm enthusiastic about such a lengthy season 2.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mikl posted:

This episode reminded me why I loved the first season: all characters are huge wierdos :allears:

That's been the whole point since Baccano, so its really just a return to form.

A drat good return to form.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Every person who whines about DRRR not being baccano in these discussions sometimes deserves a punch to the face, IMO.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

when blue haired guy gets called izumii and says that that name reminds him of his older brother, was i supposed to get what that was in reference too. there's a decent amount of names i don't quite remember off the top of my head.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

when blue haired guy gets called izumii and says that that name reminds him of his older brother, was i supposed to get what that was in reference too. there's a decent amount of names i don't quite remember off the top of my head.

they havent introduced his brother yet so no? i think telling you the answer might spoil something so just wait.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ah okay

i thought i might just be forgetting someone's name or something

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

they havent introduced his brother yet so no? i think telling you the answer might spoil something so just wait.

Nah, we've already seen him. He was the leader of the gang that kidnapped Masaomi 's girlfriend

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
By seen him do you mean mentioned? Because I don't remember anything other than getting namedropped with the other blue square guy who did appear.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Redmark posted:

By seen him do you mean mentioned? Because I don't remember anything other than getting namedropped with the other blue square guy who did appear.

I don't think we saw him physically, but he was the one who called Masaomi to tell him they kidnapped his girlfriend and was arrested after van crew saved her.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

This was the funnest episode of anime that I have seen in a while. General friendly mayhem FTW! :haw:

Also every time Mikado does something subtle (for each episode) from now on, I SHALL CALL THY DRAGON'S NAME~

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I feel really sorry for that biker gang. Between Celty, Hollywood, Egor, and then Shizuo they really had no idea what the gently caress they were getting into.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

the wildest rear end posted:

I don't think we saw him physically, but he was the one who called Masaomi to tell him they kidnapped his girlfriend and was arrested after van crew saved her.

We saw him get set on fire by Walker. So he's definitely had an appearance already.

Edit: Also, this episode hosed up by not showing Izaya be really confused and pissed off that an incident occurred that he didn't know about and had nothing to do with.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 31, 2015

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

We saw him get set on fire by Walker. So he's definitely had an appearance already.

Edit: Also, this episode hosed up by not showing Izaya be really confused and pissed off that an incident occurred that he didn't know about and had nothing to do with.

Isn't that what happened at the end? Namie says as much, Izaya just doesn't respond explicitly because he's the ~puppetmaster~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I love when someone gets the better of Izaya. Him sulking because he didn't get invited to his chat buddies' party was great.

• Locked thread