Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Senerio posted:

Nope. Mai's a chatterbox offline but can't type, so she's quiet. Kururi is the one who speaks a lot online.

Also, all of you arguing that Celty isn't sane haven't given a reason why she's not the (second, okay, behind Tom) most well adjusted member of the cast.

She keeps losing her head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Nate RFB posted:

That's exactly what I said :confused:

Either I'm reading wrong or you said "Mairu goes by Kururi online and vice versa"

Mai is Mairu, but she never talks online, while Kururi is Kuru, who talks incessantly online.

Soylentbits posted:

Fair point.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh, that. I thought the kanji mapped up to the other sister but it was just me getting the order they entered the chatroom wrong. They still do switch from being talkative or not in real life to the opposite online though.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Soylentbits posted:

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I will never get tired of people picking fights with Shizuo without knowing that's a bad idea.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I will never get tired of people picking fights with Shizuo without knowing that's a bad idea.
He's basically Kiryuu Kazuma in that regard.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zettace posted:

He's basically Kiryuu Kazuma in that regard.

And we already have the real deal in this series! Who woulda thunk it?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The guy probably knew it was a bad idea after he took the first punch. The reason Shizuo brought him Shinra is because he kept coming at him anyway while taunting him.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Womanizer biker boss is such a huge dork, wow.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So I rewatched the first season because my friend got me the dvd, and I love the music in the show so much.

For example, the Saika song is literally chanting "Anri" throughout the song. Also the entirety of episode 16. Especially the parts with Haruna and that creepy song that plays while she just. doesn't. blink.

The only downside to the dub is that Yagiri's voice isn't that great, but even that's not that major after the first arc.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
This episode seemed a little meandering. I'm not sure I understand what's going on with Celty. I guess it's about her becoming complacent as a 'human' despite being dragged into shady business again. Next episode, though, Varona is going to take on Anri? That can't possibly go well for biker chick.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I get the feeling a lot of people are going to be in for a few rude awakenings in the next episode.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

I get the feeling a lot of people are going to be in for a few rude awakenings in the next episode.
Character-wise or fan-wise?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The characters, I have no idea what happens in the books. Assuming it's the Russians breaking into Anri's house then they could very well be double-teamed by an irritated Celty and a girl who can summon an army to do her bidding.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

The characters, I have no idea what happens in the books. Assuming it's the Russians breaking into Anri's house then they could very well be double-teamed by an irritated Celty and a girl who can summon an army to do her bidding.

I dunno about that. Durarara has shown multiple times that Russian assassins are extraordinarily competent. Egor could go toe-to-toe with whatever Ruri was and Simon is probably the only person who could block a Shizuo punch.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I dunno about that. Durarara has shown multiple times that Russian assassins are extraordinarily competent. Egor could go toe-to-toe with whatever Ruri was and Simon is probably the only person who could block a Shizuo punch.

A thing about Egor is that he is better suited for most jobs then assassins considered to be better then him for the simple fact that he never carries any weapons on him. Egor's claim to fame is that he is pretty much Bullseye from Marvel comics able to use almost anything as a lethal weapon. So yeah the Russian assassins are really good.

Also on Yadogiri Jinnai keep an eye on him everybody and make sure you remember him.

Also Fun fact Vorona and Slon are Russian for Crow and Elephant.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 15, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just watched these last two episodes and really dug them, a lot more than the last arc. I hope they can keep it up!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm not entirely sure why the wire even knocked Celty off her bike. I'd expect it to maybe knock her helmet off and then she goes "huh?" somewhere in the middle of the next block.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think she's just as surprised. We'll find out why next episode, I think.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

I'm not entirely sure why the wire even knocked Celty off her bike. I'd expect it to maybe knock her helmet off and then she goes "huh?" somewhere in the middle of the next block.

It probably also got some of her neck but due to Dullahan durability it didn't do any harm to her besides knocking her off Shooter. And giving her some slight psychological damage of "did some random woman just try to kill me while seemingly understanding that I have supernatural powers? This city's getting loving weird again."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, I think it did actually get her in the neck.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Nate RFB posted:

I mean it entirely depends on what their plan is. Anri is possibly the dumbest target in the entire city if they're going after peoples' lives, but the context seems to be a kidnapping? For how dangerous Anri is, she's also super passive so as long as no one's really threatened. She'll probably just cooperate.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Is the chat room that everyone uses not a Dollars thing? I always assumed it was but Izaya's sisters were talking about the Dollars as if they aren't members.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Is the chat room that everyone uses not a Dollars thing? I always assumed it was but Izaya's sisters were talking about the Dollars as if they aren't members.

Nah, it's a separate instant messaging thing

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

the wildest rear end posted:

Nah, it's a separate instant messaging thing
Yeah it seems like it's just supposed to be a random chatroom that happens to have Izaya, Celty, and Mikado as its primary members. Which basically means Izaya probably manipulated them to chat there somehow.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is it just me or does the pacing seem rather sped up? Like the producers are trying to finish the series in three cours when they went through just a quarter of it last season in two cours?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i dont have any problems with the pacing. they are hitting all the marks they need to and not skipping anything major.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah if they have sped up rate they're adapting the books at it's been a good call so far

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Is it just me or does the pacing seem rather sped up? Like the producers are trying to finish the series in three cours when they went through just a quarter of it last season in two cours?

Yes and it is only a good thing.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I wouldn't mind if they were able to take things a bit more slowly, but the current pacing is better than the first season's. Knowing where one's going and when one needs to get there lets one go at an appropriate speed; who knew?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Grouchio posted:

They're adapting triple the content with only 50% more episodes so I'd be surprised if the pace was slower.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I've been rewatching the old series, and the pacing is almost unbearable. I mean, it's okay in the first arc where we're introduced to the important characters one at a time, but afterward it's just kinda stalling. I like the pacing in the new series.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Twiddy posted:

Anri is possibly the dumbest target in the entire city if they're going after peoples' lives

There is exactly one target dumber than that.

Also, I felt the pacing of the first couple arcs were fine. I didn't mind the Slasher Arc, and it was only 5 episodes, as opposed to the 6 of the previous ones, and the 7 of the one after it.

The issue was the Yellow Scarves Arc wasn't that great compared to the arcs before it.

This new one seems to be going 3 arcs/cour at 4 episodes/arc, which is a pretty solid pace.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Feb 16, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Senerio posted:

Also, I felt the pacing of the first couple arcs were fine. I didn't mind the Slasher Arc, and it was only 5 episodes, as opposed to the 6 of the previous ones, and the 7 of the one after it.

Wait, how are you dividing the first 12 episodes into two arcs? It felt like one really long to me.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Clarste posted:

Wait, how are you dividing the first 12 episodes into two arcs? It felt like one really long to me.

It was one long arc, actually. Although Volume 1 from the books is chiefly concerning the Yagiri Pharmaceuticals storyline along with establishing the main men along with some very basic setup for everyone else, the anime sprinkled some content from books 2 through 4. Hell, Shizuo's backstory is mostly shown in the 2nd book, but in the anime, we've got it before Anri's arc. That's what I remember, at least.

The books are going to eventually come out in America, right?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Wark Say posted:

It was one long arc, actually. Although Volume 1 from the books is chiefly concerning the Yagiri Pharmaceuticals storyline along with establishing the main men along with some very basic setup for everyone else, the anime sprinkled some content from books 2 through 4. Hell, Shizuo's backstory is mostly shown in the 2nd book, but in the anime, we've got it before Anri's arc. That's what I remember, at least.

The books are going to eventually come out in America, right?

yea i am pretty sure Yen Press got the license for them.

----------------

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Clarste posted:

Oh, I'd guessed that the first 6 episodes were setting up the Yagiri plot. The Slasher Arc was tightly paced compared to the two around it then.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Senerio posted:

There is exactly one target dumber than that.

I don't disagree, but I was thinking of a different kind of dangerous. Shizuo's dangerous because of how damage he can cause and he's always one step from kicking your poo poo in. He's the one that causes the most damage in the story. Anri, on ther other hand, is probably the most bullshit in terms of power level with her demonic sword and poo poo, so pissing her off probably puts you in worse shoes than pissing off Shizuo.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

im not sold on vorona's voice yet

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

this is good though

----------------

• Locked thread