Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ethiser posted:

drat those Japanese school girls. Always sniffing paint thinner to get high.

And getting their stuff set on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Man, they didn't even show Chikage and Shizuo's fight. :(

Well I think we got the gist of it. Shizuo punched Chikage 4 times. Each time he got up and taunted him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wark Say posted:

I think the implication that Chikage was getting up after the first three punches was badass enough to make up for the no-show in the fight. Chikage's girlfriends chastising him for getting his rear end kicked and Shizuo actually being enough of a bro to drop him at Shinra's was kinda funny. What actually got me laughing out loud (and a bit grossed out) was Namie's narration/monologue about how fake and foolish all human relationships are, except for her love of her little brother Seiji of course. Taking into account the very first arc of the series and how things went down because of said character's being "too legit to quit", I can't help but to find the whole spiel really dumb and super funny.

On Namie. She said her love of Seiji is not a love for Seiji the person. Stating Seiji the person, "is scum."

Honestly the lady just has issues.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wark Say posted:

Questionable. She's living with a nutcase that waltzes about in a labcoat. She might also be a tsundere which, if watching Nichibros has taught me anything, is a major, controversial topic of criminal psychology.

Well the three Nutcases in labcoats that waltz around her house are doctors so they have excuses for their dress. Still I think she only lives with two nutcases in labcoats at the moment. The 3rd should move back in eventually.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dan7el posted:

You made me laugh. Celty --"...not quite right in the head."

I'm enjoying the insanity, but I wish we'd get a little more about the main characters here too. Also, the twins. They are too much. I'm liking Shizuo's new friend a lot. Prediction: Based on the conversation he was having with his boss prior to meeting said friend, I think she's going to be his new love interest. Although, she seems young. Maybe just short. Hard to tell with anime girls.

She's 10

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I will never get tired of people picking fights with Shizuo without knowing that's a bad idea.

The guy probably knew it was a bad idea after he took the first punch. The reason Shizuo brought him Shinra is because he kept coming at him anyway while taunting him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I dunno about that. Durarara has shown multiple times that Russian assassins are extraordinarily competent. Egor could go toe-to-toe with whatever Ruri was and Simon is probably the only person who could block a Shizuo punch.

A thing about Egor is that he is better suited for most jobs then assassins considered to be better then him for the simple fact that he never carries any weapons on him. Egor's claim to fame is that he is pretty much Bullseye from Marvel comics able to use almost anything as a lethal weapon. So yeah the Russian assassins are really good.

Also on Yadogiri Jinnai keep an eye on him everybody and make sure you remember him.

Also Fun fact Vorona and Slon are Russian for Crow and Elephant.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 15, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nate RFB posted:

That was Aoba and his cronies who seem to worship the Dollars.

Taro is IIRC one of the most common/bland names in Japanese. It'd be like having the online handle John Smith. Mikado has such a crazy real-life name that it's almost certainly an intentional contrast.

Tanaka is considered to to be the most common/bland last name. So Mikado pretty much does have John Smith as his online handle.

To elaborate on Mikado's name Walker wondered when he first showed up if it was his real one. His name more or less translates as "Emperor of The Dragon Peak"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's funny that Shirobako can give us some perceptive on why an episode of a series looks so much weirder then the rest.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

paragon1 posted:

Hahaha well maybe they can fix it for the Blu-ray release!?!?!

:cripes:

Narita appears to have said just that. It will be fixed in the BD release.

Apparently this episode was outsourced as well. Meaning we did get a studio Titanic situation.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Senerio posted:

I was rewatching the episode to see the bad animation (because I didn't really pay attention to that the first time), and I thought of this when they got to the Anri/Vorona fight scene, because Anri was basically telling Vorona that she would let her go no problem if she just left.

Sadly Vorona is crazy and was not going to if Celty had not shown up. Plus she is still crazy and plans on coming back. Presumably better armed and prepared which could be bad.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Something little about this episode.

Remember when Sloan first showed up Vorona confirmed that he had just finished a job he was given. Given the scene later in the episode it's not too hard to figure out what job he was given.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Sloan: "Why did the Black Bike take that Kid?"
Varona: "For food."
Sloan: "You're not thinking clearly are you."
Varona: "Affirmative, I am not thinking clearly."

I sort of loved that part. The words are not completely correct but this was more or less their exchange.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

Gotta say, though, the fact that Slon, a professional assassin (for a given value of 'professional') can even come close to accurately replicating a Shizuo attack is pretty scary.

He actually is far more professional then Vorona. He's weird on his own time. When doing a job or talking business with an employer, he goes for pure professionalism.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This was a fun episode. Can't wait to see how things will wrap up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nate RFB posted:

So he factions that were at play here...

Akane's father planned to have those three killed anyway because of various reasons, and figured he might as well use it as leverage in his negotiations with a rival group. To this end he hired Sloan/Varona through those two big shots (the guy with the cane/scars and the other guy with the scars). Shizuo showing up was unexpected and someone else's machinations. And Akane getting kidnapped was also obviously not part of this plan. Varona was spared because the yakuza were approached by Egor who promised them they'd give the group preferential treatment in buying guns as payment.

The kidnapping and basically everything Varona/Sloan did for shits and giggles was because of Yadogiri Jinnai, whose plan we don't know yet. He is also somehow involved with Ruri, I think? Presumably he's the actual one who roped in Shizuo. I guess I'm still not clear on whose plan that was if it wasn't Izaya's. Actually not sure what Izaya was really doing this arc at all besides getting the gently caress out of dodge early.

No real confusion with the gang war at least, I think that was pretty clear cut by the end.

To be exact Akane's father had hired Sloan to kill the three guys that Shizuo was blamed for killing. Akane's father did not want it to get out that he put the hit on the 3 guys right away so he let Shizuo take the fall for a bit. Sloan and Varona kidnapped his daughter on Yadogiri Jinnai's orders which is why he sent the Top Brass of his Yakuza to take them out. Varona's father made a deal with the Yakuza to spare her despite her crimes against both the Russion Mob and Yakuza and Egor was the one relaying the deal.

Varona and Sloan attacked Akane on orders from Yadogiri. (He knew that Celty was hired on as a bodyguard and Varona wanted to take her out for fun.) Yadogiri before going into hiding from the Yakuza for stuff we don't know he did used to be Ruri's manager who apparently made her do some bad stuff or something. Varona's job to take on Anri was by a different client. (Presumably Izaya as he like the only other person that would do that.) Yadogiri had nothing to do with Shizuo, Izaya framed Shizuo for the murder and tried to get Akane to kill him. As a result of Shizuo getting involved with Akane and the Yakuza, Varona and Sloan's kidnapping failed. As retribution for messing up his plan by getting Shizuo involved Yadogiri had Izaya stabbed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

pandaK posted:

The thing I got from this episode is that they serve shark and shark fin soup at Russian Sushi.

Simon, no :smith:

Don't worry it's Loan Shark.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nate RFB posted:

In the previous episode Shiki made the mental connection to Hollywood/Ruri when he was talking with Shinra about Shizuo not being the killer; what was the point of that connection if the person who killed them was Sloan? Was it to suggest that the previous murders were actually contracts to Sloan/Varona instead of Ruri?

If this somehow requires bringing up later spoilers obviously I'd prefer to not know about it just yet, just trying to make sure all of the pieces make sense. I'm also a little confused as to why Izaya manipulated Akane using a proxy acting like him (the guy had brown hair and we never saw his face) unless he wanted to make it such that Akane could not identify him afterwards or something. Maybe it was just for shits and giggles, which wouldn't surprise me.

Shiki I believe just thought Shizuo was the only one who could have killed the men so brutally with his bare hands. He then thought of Hollywood when re realized their was another barehanded murderer. It was probably to keep us guessing what the deal with the murders was.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

point of return posted:

I love the pen scene because Mikado went back to acting like his usual dorky self worrying about a wound that he himself caused

That was what Aoba found disturbing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Are there any non-messed up people in the show? Other than like Tom, and maybe Celty. Messed up people being involved in complicated shenanigans is kind of what the show is all about.

Other then being an Assassin Egor seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Edit: Due to the way I phrased that Celty is disqualified from the non messed up people in this show.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah other then being in love with a head (and willing to murder for it). Seiji seems somewhat adjusted.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Namie didn't come up with the plan to eat the head. She only thought it was a good idea after hearing Mika talk about it. Mika is goddamn insane.

Also Seiji fell in love with a head in a jar and tried to kill a girl over it. Dude is loving weird.

I though Namie thought that idea was crazy too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Edward IV posted:

I think you're enjoying this a little too much, Akane.

:neckbeard: :) :shepface: :gonk: :stonk:

Every girl in this episode is a psycopath.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also there is about 20 of them from what I remember.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ran Izumi just beat up the stalker and forcibly recruited him to Izaya's gang it appears. Ran Izumi I will say looks pretty intimidating.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The gang's name is also called Dragon Zombie so they're pretty cool. And I am glad Izaya finally appears to have purchased some friends, even if a few probably want to kill him.

They really rushed through volume 8 though, not that i'm complaining since Adabashi is a boring villain and the main plot is kinda weak, but it's a shame they skipped a bit of Ruri's backstory and a bunch of the new chat members just shooting the poo poo. I also would've liked a couple of the new guys to stay hidden for a bit longer but I guess the chat honestly isn't as important as it used to be.

Next few episodes should be pretty exciting though. This is where stuff starts getting really good.

If I remember correctly. Adabashi causes chaos a bit longer burns down Ruri's house. And ends up in a fight with Mikado because Mikado pretends to be Ruri to lure him into a trap. Kida then saves Mikado and the events of the show play out with the change being Mikado was pretending to be Ruri instead of a generic gang member.

Also it was Mikage instead of Izumi that defeated Adabashi and brought him to Izaya's place to join up with their gang.

Still Adabashi if he has one thing going for him, it's that he is very capable actually incapacitating Anri for a bit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I like that Izaya's evil best friend team is mostly made up of old bad guys who have already gotten their rear end kicked by the protagonists.

This is kind of true. Glasses girl that tried to murder him was beaten by Izaya, Namie was beaten by Mikado, Adabashi was beaten by a combo of Kida and Mikado before being taken out by Izumi. Izumi was betrayed by Kadota's gang, set on fire by Walker and sent to prison. Mikage was the only named character there that other characters have not beat in some way.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You're also forgetting that Sloan got owned by the Mafia.

Yeah I forgot Sloan was a member of the group.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zettace posted:

Wasn't Ran Izumi in season 1? He was a Blue Squares member wasn't he? And I'm pretty sure the scar on his face is when Kadota's crew saved Saki. If I recall correctly, Walker threw a molotov at them which must have left that burn scar.

Correct to be accurate he was the leader of the Blue Squares and the one who kidnapped Saki and broke her legs. Kida even asked one of the Blue Squares Members in this episode if Izumii had goten out of Prison.

In other connection stuff that people likely forgot. One of Aoba's gang members called him Izumii and Aoba stated he disliked that name because it reminds him of his older brother, and last episode Aoba got a call and said "I see so brother has been released from prison."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

OnimaruXLR posted:

Hey novel people, is what Izaya did to cool karate lady to get her under his thumb addressed in a flashback later, or is the explanation that happened this week all we're going to get?

Mikage's just like Saki. She pretty much just worships Izaya.

Anyway I think a bit more went on in the novel but they cut it out.

Earthworm was threatened by Izumii is a few ways and he planned on raping her. Mikage stopped him stating she is against defilement. (Though she is fine with him smashing her face in or setting her on fire.) Ran then states Mikage owes him a favor and leaves stating his job there is done.

Anyway Earthworm now works for Izaya as she is slashed by Haruna offscreen.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
You know for how much Shiki has been featured in this season and the last. I shocked he has not been been in the openings. Last season for example he was way more deserving of a spot then Akabayashi who did not do anything then.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

the wildest rear end posted:

I googled Shiki because I didn't remember who that was and I'd just like to say people ship Izaya with just about everyone

He should probably shipped with Shinra. As he is the only one outside of Shinra's immediate family and Celty that owns a key to his apartment.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ran Izumii was surprisingly fun as a narrator. Hell he is rather fun to watch and listen too as well. Still a bastard for running over Kadota however.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SyntheticPolygon posted:

She might honestly not have much of a point, being on the edges of the ending doesn't really mean much. Girl who tried to kill Izaya has only been in a scene and Igor and Chikage haven't even appeared this season I don't think.

Egor showed up early on. But has not done much.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

El Burbo posted:

I love Shingen's crew

Egor still really tall.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Redmark posted:

Who was it whose legs got smashed by Izumii again? Not Saki, but the one who was on the news this episode, unless I just hallucinated that. Was it the drug lady?

She got her arms smashed by Izumii. (Izumii did smash Saki's legs in the past however.) It was Earthworm Amphisbaena leader who captured Izaya. Shijima the Drug Dealer guy (Whose fake boss was the same fake boss that Earthworm had.) is the one meeting with Mikado.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I actually really like the new opening https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r0jdlfqeE4

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
In the Novels she shows up during Izaya's very first scene. She is not named or anything then. It was cut in the anime but later shown as a flashblack during the scene were Izaya is hospitalized and she tried to kill him. Pretty much she was a insignificant person that wanted to screw Izaya over.

But yeah no one imagined she would be such a big spanner in the works stealing Celty's head.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also apparently he is the dude that hit Kadota and met with Shijima last episode.

I did not expect him to come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also Takashi is still a huge creep. And now he is even creepier now that he knows about Saika.

• Locked thread