Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Allarion posted:

I asked this way back in the winter anime thread, but for anyone who actually read the novels, I heard that Mikado was actually toned down in S1 compared to the novels so he became more of a wet blanket. I mention this since I heard his character goes down some interesting routes later on which somewhat conflict with his S1 characterization.

i read a japanese to chinese to english translation of the first 10 novels and this isnt true. like the other dude said all the characters develop more and change. season 1 mikado is just a basic bitch. his time will come

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

speaking of the novels looks like Yen Press is going to published them. first novel stated for July 2015

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-01-09/yen-press-adds-durarara-novels-strike-the-blood-black-bullet-rust-blaster-manga/.83089

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Xythar are you working on this show?

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

pandaK posted:

It's probably because she's black.

someon please give that guy the "yoda loving luke" avatar back please.

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

celty being afraid of the police is just a silly gag. there's no deeper meaning or reason.

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i hope they devote an entire cour to covering the "Lovey Dovey Prattles of an Underground Doctor" parts of the novels

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

when blue haired guy gets called izumii and says that that name reminds him of his older brother, was i supposed to get what that was in reference too. there's a decent amount of names i don't quite remember off the top of my head.

they havent introduced his brother yet so no? i think telling you the answer might spoil something so just wait.

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

erika's moe level was off the charts this episode. also izaya saying vacation's over bitches was cool.

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Dan7el posted:

You made me laugh. Celty --"...not quite right in the head."

I'm enjoying the insanity, but I wish we'd get a little more about the main characters here too. Also, the twins. They are too much. I'm liking Shizuo's new friend a lot. Prediction: Based on the conversation he was having with his boss prior to meeting said friend, I think she's going to be his new love interest. Although, she seems young. Maybe just short. Hard to tell with anime girls.

if you are talking about the girl who used the stun gun on shizuo she is like 9

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

can someone tell me what this is supposed to mean? crunchyroll cant

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i dont have any problems with the pacing. they are hitting all the marks they need to and not skipping anything major.

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Wark Say posted:

It was one long arc, actually. Although Volume 1 from the books is chiefly concerning the Yagiri Pharmaceuticals storyline along with establishing the main men along with some very basic setup for everyone else, the anime sprinkled some content from books 2 through 4. Hell, Shizuo's backstory is mostly shown in the 2nd book, but in the anime, we've got it before Anri's arc. That's what I remember, at least.

The books are going to eventually come out in America, right?

yea i am pretty sure Yen Press got the license for them.

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

im not sold on vorona's voice yet

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

this is good though

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

mikado buys a m60 and rigs it up in the trunk of his car and uses it in the final chapter to exact revenge on all his enemies he created during the series

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

in the final episode of this first cour mikado pushes the sexy and hot reporter girl he is having a torrid affair with into the front of a moving subway train and then makes some quip straight to the camera like "hows that for a headline?" then he taps his ring on the nearby support beam and walks away

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

turns out mikado and anri are actually siblings and when masoami catches them "in the act" in order to keep their secret safe mikado kicks him out the window thus causing masoami to become a cripple and setting in motion a whole chain of events that will lead us thru the next 24 episodes

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

hype as h*ck for the next episode

lol

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

the Aozaki and Akabayashi scene with Slon and Vorona was great. i always liked the yakuza guys

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

this was a good first 12 episodes and i really liked the adaptation and i hope they keep it up. the introduction of the yakuza was great. when they were introduced in the books i was like man these dudes are the real deal, the dollars, blue squares, and yellow scarves are really just small time compared to these guys, and they hammered that point home in the show. there is lots more good stuff that is gonna happen and everyone should be hyped for july.

is there one more episode that is going to be released in theaters in japan between now and july? do we know anything about that or is it still to early

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Welp! Time to prepare for the second third of the season! When should we expect the first episode?

July 4th

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

im like 2 episodes behind, but have we met Mikage yet?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

maybeflan posted:

The female instructor? She showed up in 17 and showed up in this week's episode.

she's the best and i love her

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i just watched episodes 18 and 19 and stuff is really starting to get good. these are some of my favorite parts

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

here is a cool pic from the books of some of the people in izaya's hotpot party alliance

also episode 19 changed a lot of thing around compared to the novel but it still works. the only thing i didnt like is that the cool dojo girl (Mikage) is the one who tracked down the stalker guy. she broke both his legs and carried him all the way to izaya's

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Are those the biker cops that always chase Celty? I assume it's not the one particular guy at least (forgot his name).

no. they are members of a biker gang that used to be very prominent and active in the city.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

If I remember correctly. Adabashi causes chaos a bit longer burns down Ruri's house. And ends up in a fight with Mikado because Mikado pretends to be Ruri to lure him into a trap. Kida then saves Mikado and the events of the show play out with the change being Mikado was pretending to be Ruri instead of a generic gang member.

Also it was Mikage instead of Izumi that defeated Adabashi and brought him to Izaya's place to join up with their gang.

Still Adabashi if he has one thing going for him, it's that he is very capable actually incapacitating Anri for a bit.

yea like synthetic polygon said above us they really blew through that volume of the novel, but i think the changes they made work pretty good this way too. i wish we got to see Mikage be more of a badass tho.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Whose the other person with the red eyes?

Haruna Niekawa she was the Slasher in season 1

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I am having an impossible time keeping all these characters straight. I've been just rolling with it, trusting that things would be made plain if they matter, and that's worked out so far, but that was a lot of characters I don't know at the end there.

i will name them for you

of course you know izaya and namie

Manami Mamamiya the girl who tried to kill Izaya when he was in the hospital

members of the dragon zombie bike gang

Haruna Niekawa aka the Slasher we dont know what she has been doing since season 1

Slon

Adabashi the Stalker

Kine. We havent really met him yet.

Ran Izumii. found Adabashi. has a hammer now i guess. we will meet him more later.

Mikage Sharaku. karate girl. my wife

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

Hey novel people, is what Izaya did to cool karate lady to get her under his thumb addressed in a flashback later, or is the explanation that happened this week all we're going to get?

Mikage went to the same high school as Shizuo and Izaya. she had a crush on Izaya, but because izaya is izaya he would just end up using her in a scheme or something. eventually she took the fall for something Izaya did, we are never told what, and she had to drop out of high school. she still has a crush on izaya even though he is just using her.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

she's the best

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Akabayashi deserves his spot in the op

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Twiddy posted:

I remember liking the LN version of all this better, but then again it's kind of impossible to adapt an entire LN into an episode. Maybe we'll come back to some of this.

i remember the LN was more suspenseful, and described how Earthworm was torturing him trying to get him to talk with more detail

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Redmark posted:

drat that hammer to the flying knee :stare: She's not going to be able to walk for a while after that one.

I googled spoilers for all this Amphisbaena and Heaven's Slave stuff and, if we were supposed to be able to figure out all of that from this episode, I am not nearly smart enough for this show. But there doesn't seem to be enough material for a second episode about these guys (Earthworm and Shijima).

the next episode ties back into this one. if anyone is able to figure out the spoilers you read about those 2 groups just from this one episode they are really smart

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

the episode next week is the OVA from season 1. i hope there are not major production problems or something.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

the wildest rear end posted:

This was one of those episodes where I'm not too sure what went on, but I will know after a couple more episodes.

Also can someone remind me what the reporter guy did besides get put into a hospital by Shizuo.

I havent seen the episode yet, but is the reporter guy you are talking about the one from the first season that was looking for the strongest person in ikebukuro? if so he is haruna niekawa's dad, and he got slashed by the slasher and was told to get anri, but he was stopped by shizuo and kadota

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

didnt the aniplex subs get the policewoman's name wrong. they called her Maju Kuzuhara. i thought her name was Shinju Kuzuhara. based aniplex.

anyways the girl policewoman is the niece of the motorcycle cop who scares Celty, Kinnosuke Kuzuhara. the Kuzuhara's are a family of police officers.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

yes please

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

a kitten posted:

Lmao. Poor Celty. Poor Tougasa.

yea everyone was being mean to celty. but that was a really good first episode. they recapped a lot of stuff and set up a lot of stuff for this final cour. its gonna be good

• Locked thread