Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I just finished my rewatch of the first season; there was a fair bit I had forgotten about these characters, even though thus far we're focusing on new and mostly-new characters. But man was the first season good. One thing I had forgotten that really surprised me at the time was how likeable Anri was. She's such a wet blanket in most scenes, I had forgotten about her being a proactive and interesting character. Hopefully that comes back for this season.

Just about everyone is great though. One of my favorite parts of this series is that it's simultaneously intricately plotted while still feeling very organic, like the characters are having their own lives that occasionally intersect in a natural way.

All I'm really saying is that this season hasn't really grabbed me so far but the series is really fantastic so I'm enthusiastic about such a lengthy season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I love when someone gets the better of Izaya. Him sulking because he didn't get invited to his chat buddies' party was great.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
This episode seemed a little meandering. I'm not sure I understand what's going on with Celty. I guess it's about her becoming complacent as a 'human' despite being dragged into shady business again. Next episode, though, Varona is going to take on Anri? That can't possibly go well for biker chick.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
The way Akabayashi has gotten into this mess is kind of funny. He just doesn't want Anri to get involved with a bad boy! I want to see his face when he finds out that one of her best friends is a gang leader, the other is a double gang leader, and even Anri herself is a gang leader, of a sort.

Also, we finally know the identity of the policewoman lady in the ED. I'm not sure I understand what her point is as a character, but maybe that's coming.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Glad to see the final season. This episode was pretty fun. With the formation of the guild I think pretty much all the cast is going to end up in a group for whatever the final showdown is. We've got the Yodogiri Group, Izaya's team, Celty's guild, the Dollars, and the Yellow Scarves, and maybe the Awakusa Group also. I'd imagine everyone who matters will be affiliated with one of those. Not sure if I'm missing any key players.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I have to appreciate Namie trying to call Mikado out on his hypocrisy, but it's a little too late to fix him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean he still he hasn't really shown him anything, so there's still a chance.

Anyway, Nasujima's the worst character and it sucks that he and his dumb zombie plan are getting so much screentime.

Also, now that it's all coming to a conclusion one of the weirder things I find about Durarara is that despite how much it promotes the relationship between the three kids Mikado and Masaomi's arcs are super connected but Anri kinda deals with all her poo poo away from them. Like this season has been all about building to the confrontation between Masaomi and Mikado and all their development in the past 10 episodes has been a lead up to that, but for Anri it's been about dealing with her relationship with Saika and her issues with love and parasites and her passivity and stuff. And she's pretty much dealt with all that through her scenes with Kujiragi, Erika, Saki and basically the whole van crew like in the latest episode and it's barely features Masaomi or Mikado at all.

Like, they're all still good and interesting arcs but it's always been weird to me that the story keeps focusing on the relationship between the three of them even though as the plot goes on that relationship begins to feel less and less important especially in regards to Anri. It's just sort of strange.

That's okay though because Anri is awesome.

• Locked thread