Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

IShallRiseAgain posted:

lol, that was just one giant plug for LNs published by the same company that publishes the Durarara novels.

Wasn't the Van Gang as a whole also named after LN writers or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Man, they didn't even show Chikage and Shizuo's fight. :(

I think the implication that Chikage was getting up after the first three punches was badass enough to make up for the no-show in the fight. Chikage's girlfriends chastising him for getting his rear end kicked and Shizuo actually being enough of a bro to drop him at Shinra's was kinda funny. What actually got me laughing out loud (and a bit grossed out) was Namie's narration/monologue about how fake and foolish all human relationships are, except for her love of her little brother Seiji of course. Taking into account the very first arc of the series and how things went down because of said character's being "too legit to quit", I can't help but to find the whole spiel really dumb and super funny.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MonsterEnvy posted:

On Namie. She said her love of Seiji is not a love for Seiji the person. Stating Seiji the person, "is scum."

Honestly the lady just has issues.
gently caress, that's right! It's a family thing: The Ronnie Retard approach to love! :suicide:

Nate RFB posted:

Looking back on the first season, it really was almost entirely setting up this world/environment and the principle characters. People soured on the third arc when now I'm convinced more than ever it would've been fine as long as it wasn't the final story to close out on. With all of that out of the way and the general infrastructure pretty well established now, it feels a lot tighter and snappier with that natural escalation of chaos that was done so well in Baccano!.
To be fair, Anri's arc showed that, after a little set up regarding the whole environment/characters, the results did yield unadulterated :toot::hf::black101: (Shizuo beating the poo poo out of the slashers and Anri confronting a few of her demons). I do, however, agree that closing out with Masaomi's arc was not a good way to go for such a long rear end time. I wonder if they decided to wait this long so that they could tackle that much more material without having to wait that long of a time.

Fangz posted:

The headless horsewoman is probably the most well adjusted person in this show.

Questionable. She's living with a nutcase that waltzes about in a labcoat. She might also be a tsundere which, if watching Nichibros has taught me anything, is a major, controversial topic of criminal psychology.

vvvv e:Fine. The nutcase that's been in love with her for 20+ years. vvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 8, 2015

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The_White_Crane posted:

The nutcase who fell in love with her after he helped his dad dissect her while she was strapped to a table naked and still alive.
They're very cute together, but drat that's hosed up.

Wait, if the organism is still alive, then doesn't that count as Vivisecting?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think that, aside from employing and being friends with Shizuo, Tom is the most well-adjusted character. Then again, he probably hangs out with Shizuo off the clock, so who knows.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zettace posted:

He's basically Kiryuu Kazuma in that regard.

And we already have the real deal in this series! Who woulda thunk it?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Clarste posted:

Wait, how are you dividing the first 12 episodes into two arcs? It felt like one really long to me.

It was one long arc, actually. Although Volume 1 from the books is chiefly concerning the Yagiri Pharmaceuticals storyline along with establishing the main men along with some very basic setup for everyone else, the anime sprinkled some content from books 2 through 4. Hell, Shizuo's backstory is mostly shown in the 2nd book, but in the anime, we've got it before Anri's arc. That's what I remember, at least.

The books are going to eventually come out in America, right?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Devil Tesla posted:

I expect him to continue stuttering like an idiot through everything, but secretly be a violent maniac, like everyone else on this show.

Now, let's be fair: Shizuo's apeshit violent fits are fairly well known to the people that live/work around Ikebukuro (and a bunch of biker dudes from Saitama, I guess).

Twiddy posted:

The show isn't exactly subtle so much as the first season didn't really have a proper ending. That is, the current arc is a continuation of a lot of stuff that was unresolved in the first season. However, because the first season ended, it feels like the first season was a complete whole and this season is a continuation based off that. In actuality, the first season is stories 1, 2, and 3 and we're currently moving into stories 4, 5, and 6 or so.

Basically, I'm pretty sure if you go back and watch season 1 plus season 2 once season 2 is complete you'll find a lot of things that maybe didn't make as much sense make a LOT more sense.

I think this can be excused due to the fact that it's been like 4 and a half years since the first series ended (3 years since it was broadcast on Adult Swim), and that's a long-rear end time for lots of people.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
C'mon, let it be a cool surprise. ;)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cake Attack posted:

that's how izaya pranks people

You'd think that after getting lectured by a big Russian dude to knock that poo poo off (after getting said poo poo punched out of him) he'd learn to at least exercise some restraint. Then again, his overall demeanor with regards to Shizuo (whether he's speaking about or directly to the dude) seems a ton more affable in the anime than in the novels. Also, wasn't the guy who stood in for Izaya one of three dumbasses from the early parts of the first season?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nate RFB posted:

Nooooooo stay the gently caress away in the boonies or whatever Masaomi, the last thing this arc needs is for you to show back up conveniently at the end.

lol conveniently :v:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Daedalus1134 posted:

I've seen a couple other shows that reference it as something students do in PE classes, so ~my anime knowledge~ would imply it is.

Or at the very least it's more popular there than in the US, where I have never heard of it.

Are you thinking of this one example?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AnacondaHL posted:

Angel Beats, that show people like if they haven't watched good anime

I was young and a bit high off the goodwill the director acquired with me through that "My Bride is a Mermaid" show! :(

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

The pen scene was a stunner, awesome!

On the other hand I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel about that scene with Sonohara that was just strange; I just don't understand.

I guess that's why they call it TITTYllation and whatnot! :pervert:

Seriously, though: I can't wait for July to arrive. Just like the opening advertised, poo poo's gone out of control, and I wouldn't want it any other way. :allears:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Shiki I believe just thought Shizuo was the only one who could have killed the men so brutally with his bare hands. He then thought of Hollywood when re realized their was another barehanded murderer. It was probably to keep us guessing what the deal with the murders was.

That's what I like so much about this story: Very few of the "main players" have the complete facts. Hell, that's the whole reason Kida had to hightail it at the end of his Story Arc, not to mention how a good chunk of people think it's Shizuo the one fully responsible for the Slasher attacks coming to an end. Misinformation as plot device is often done really shoddily in some media, but when done well, goddamn does it knock it out of the park.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The "who's the weirdness nut-job among this group of nut-jobs" seems like the kind of fruitless argument you're likely to find regarding power-levels on a Type-Moon thread / wiki or something. Mostly because they all seem to be somewhat nuts. Part of what's interesting for yours truly, however, is how they all seem to try to maintain some semblance of normal facade and that, in some cases, they're getting a bit better about it. Let's look into it for the main-ish characters:
  • Shizuo has a lot of issues with keeping his viciously-violent-streak-freakish-strength combo under control. He seems to be getting a bit better about it, though (especially when Izaya is not involved); having Tom and Celty as his closest friends and a group of dudes/ladies that don't mind hanging out with him when he's chill seems to be doing the job.
  • Shinra is a loving weirdo, though how much of that is due to Shingen 'raising' him + growing up with a headless fae, Izaya and the Heiwajima brothers as close acquaintances and how much is him just preferring weird stuff from the get-go is anybody's guess. Also, a lot of people find him annoying. He seems to have a somewhat steady gig and does seem to like Celty for reals and not just because of 'the love that they share'.
  • Kyohei seems like the pacifying influence in a group consisting of three otaku weirdos, but the fact that he seems to go into weird tangents himself means that he's not all that normal. Compared to Walker and Erika, he can still come off as normal, and actively tries to rein in those two.
  • All six of the main high school kids have some emotional baggage from before the series began. In some cases, we're shown what the damage is (Masaomi's iffy past as a gang-leader + Izaya's influence over the key incident, Anri's domestic tragedy + bullying at school), we can probably make a pretty sure-fire guess (growing up with Izaya as a brother couldn't possibly have positive effects in the long run for the twins) and some are yet to be shown (You're loving dreaming if you think I'm that much of a douche to spoil Mikado's and Aoba's backstories; we'll get there... probably).
  • Izaya, well, you're gonna find out this season. Of course, if you've been following all three cours of this show so far, you know he has a few screws loose. Even with that into account, it also seems that he's able to appear somewhat civil when he stands to gain something (being in cahoots with the Yakuza dude with the fox-like eyes).
  • Celty seems like the most outwardly weird. You know, what with her being a headless fae and all. But she also has a lot of down-to-earth qualities, especially concerning the way she carries herself. Her relationships with Shizuo, Anri and Mikado always give me this air of 'older-sis helping you sort your poo poo out' whenever she has the time, because of course she's not always gonna have the time. She has a job, and is decent at it. And her fears regarding both goofy stuff (aliens, dinosaurs and paranormal stuff) and serious stuff (the traffic cops being after her) seem like the conclusion of normal experiences, like people getting scared when watching a horror movie or having unwanted brushes against authority. Of course, she also has a few quirks: Her relationship with the aforementioned annoying weirdo and her ignorance of traffic norms being chief among them. She does seem to keep them under control most of the time, however. It probably helps that she's unable to talk normally and needs to use her mobile device.
  • The Yagiri brothers and Mika seem like the most disturbing of the bunch, despite appearing somewhat normal in appearances. For the most part, they are almost completely inconsequential to the plot, with Namie staying relevant mostly due to her being Izaya's employee and being almost as bonkers as her boss, she's just better at hiding it.
Of course, that's just my take. Some of the secondary guys (the Yakuza guys, the russian dudes and lady, etcetera) also have some interesting traits when it comes to the weirdo/normie ratio. Hell, even the foreign dudes the Van gang hangs out with have some interesting traits. I don't know who's the person/team in charge of scripts for the anime adaptation, but they've been doing right by Narita's original novels for the most part.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nate RFB posted:

Last season I thought it was kind of weird, just a bit though, how Akabayashi was given a rather pronounced presence in the openings and such yet didn't do anything until the very last episode. So it's nice to finally has his introduction of sorts out of the way.

Akabayashi and Aozaki had their establishing episode last season and it was a combination of :stare: and :black101:. It felt less like they were the top enforcers for the Awakusu and more like they were forces of nature getting unleashed to get poo poo solved ASAP. One of my favorite parts from both the novel and the anime is just how much of a struggle most characters experience when dealing with Sloan and Vorona getting all up in their grill, but the moment they get pitted against these two actual veterans, they get their poo poo ruined in record time.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cake Attack posted:

mikado is going insane

He's basically getting his wish for an interesting life. Kid is going places :unsmigghh:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Clarste posted:

I believe the old members also switched their voices around randomly until they were revealed.

Pretty much. Right after the first arc is over is that we get to see who's who.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ViggyNash posted:

I swear the op just gets worse every season.

But I'm ok with it, because the show gets more insane every season.

You're not talking poo poo about Headhunt, are you? :toughguy:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

krnhotwings posted:

I need a refresher: What's the deal with the girl that tried to kill Izaya when he was hospitalized? Who is she? 'cause as far as I remember, she was kinda just "injected" into the series during that scene where she attempted to kill him.

Okay, I'll try to make this simple:

Remember this wee lady?

She is Rio Kamichika. In season 1, she has an important-ish role in the first 2 episodes where she:
  1. Gets kidnapped by the trio of assholes that do most of the dirty work for Yagiri pharmaceutical.
  2. Gets the brunt of Izaya's first crazy-rear end in a top hat speeches.
Both of those things happen to her because she wanted to "disappear" (commit suicide, if I remember correctly) due to her parents having a bitter falling-out and she thought she ran into the guy who would enable / do it with her: Nakura (a.k.a. Everyone's favorite rear end in a top hat, Enjin Hi'izumi Izaya Orihara). Of course, Izaya was loving with her and set her rear end up to get kidnapped for the Yagiri human research. When Celty (with the help of Kyohei and his pals; again, I'm playing this off memory) got a hold of that, she said hell to the no and did her knight in shining armor bit to save her. Thanks to that, Rio and Izaya have their about face, Izaya does his thing and calls her off on her dumb teenage poo poo. Celty comes in to the rescue once more and gives Rio a small but cooling pep text-talk.

Here's the thing:

MonsterEnvy posted:

In the Novels she shows up during Izaya's very first scene. She is not named or anything then. It was cut in the anime but later shown as a flashblack during the scene were Izaya is hospitalized and she tried to kill him. Pretty much she was a insignificant person that wanted to screw Izaya over.

Everything MonsterEnvy just mentioned? That was Manami's gig, almost all of which it ended up going to Rio, at least importance-wise. You see, Rio was basically created for the anime because Ryohgo Narita had yet to give Manami any significant features or importance aside from her grudge with Izaya due to the incident shown in the flashback. However, when that happened, it created this wee problem...

Volume 7 came out around the same time the first season of the anime started airing. In that volume, Izaya starts waiting for a bunch of people to come out of the woodwork and pay him back for all the grief he's inflicted on them due to his madcap asshattery. Nobody actually shows up, which causes him to start losing it (okay, further losing it; this is Izaya we're talking about, after all)... until Manami shows up (I think she's still nameless at this point in the novels) and good-ol' Izaya simply asks "Who are you?". Manami spills the beans and that basically pulls Izaya out of his funk / drives him further nuts.

Thing is, in theory, Rio is the one who should've showed up to the hospital. However, due to the way her little arc ended (Celty text-telling her that people aren't all as lovely as Izaya and/or her parents), that wouldn't make sense. Hell, Narita even ended up making her canon as she appears as part of Chikage's harem in Volumes 9 or 10 (with the second season integrating her into said harem even earlier). Izaya thought that he had this all-consuming impact on people due to all the poo poo that he's pulled so far. Truth is, however, most of them have had a significant development to the point that Izaya is just a bad memory at most. Amongst the main cast:
  • Shizuo coming to grips with his strength and using it in positive ways has helped him a little when it comes to dealing with situations where he would normally go berserk. He still hates Izaya's guts but probably wouldn't give him the time of day.
  • Kida is on his payroll and, while still kinda bitter due to the whole situation with the Ikebukuro gangs, at least he got a girlfriend and does his prefecture-wandering thing on Izaya's dime.
  • Celty has threatened him a ton of times but, for the most part, she's the single most level-headed person when dealing with him and just stays out of his way as long as Izaya leaves Shinra alone.
  • The Izumii/Kuronuma siblings still hate him but are either bidding his time / play along with him or prefer to stay the gently caress away from him.
  • The little sisters are boring and, aside from the (fake) opportunity to meet Shizuo's little brother by killing Izaya, they care little for him due to being busy as full-time teenage nutjobs/chuunis/lesbians. Again, boring.
  • He still didn't know anything about this Yodogiri fellow aside from the ultimatum he gave him to stay the gently caress away from his business and just do his crazy nonsense in Ikebukuro.
  • The Russian sushi guys just keep him in check when he starts pulling poo poo like he did with Kida in Volume 3.
  • Sloan / Varona have different targets going on.

So yeah. Of course, the anime just simply decided to add upon it by making clear that Izaya duping suicidal/depressed girls was not a one-time gig for him.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 17, 2016

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

:allears: He really has been loving nuts right from the beginning hasn't he?

Who? Fancy-pants social studies rear end in a top hat or the glorious leader of anonymous?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

El Burbo posted:

He's a pedophile who was in a relationship with Niekawa. Niekawa went insane because of Saika and started stalking him, that's the part that freaked him out.

Wouldn't that make him an ephebophile since Haruna was already a High-Schooler? I mean, he's still a piece of poo poo who got his just desserts when Shizuo punched the poo poo out of him at the end of Vol 2 / episode 17-18 of the first season. Also, part of what made you uncomfortable about the 1st season is that, no matter any weird short-cuts that the production team sometimes took to save budget when it came to wonky animation, when it came to body language, the scenes were really well made, and all interactions Nasujima had with Anri (besides the last one where she tells him in no uncertain terms that she finds him disgusting) were just so loving cringe-worthy.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Twiddy posted:

Let's just not, this "debate" never goes well.
:agreed:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Adelheid posted:

are you real

Anyway, most important takeaway from this episode is definitely Kujiragi joining the cosplay club.

Look, I'm genuinely sorry that I brought it up. Please let's just put this behind us.

And :agreed: on Kujiragi being cute. :3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

a kitten posted:

That fuckin hat.

Hey, a man has to look his best, even after getting slightly roughed up. :tipshat:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Don't worry. If they stick to the novels for this, you're in for a wild loving ride.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

In an episode with Celty getting her head back and regaining all her supernatural power, the beginning of Izaya and Shizuo's final deathmatch and an impending zombie apocalypse, the scariest or at least most unnerving thing that happened was Mikado getting a gun. That was the last thing this kid needed.

Also, Russian Sushi with the military ordinance. :allears:

Well, duh! Out of the 4 characters you named, only 3 of them seem to have a faint idea of what they need to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The funniest thing about Durarara is how, despite how much effort Mika put into keeping Seiji away from shenanigans / relevance by bugging the hell out of everyone, Rocchi still found out about him and used it to troll the big sister about it.

What I'm saying is that Rocchi is the best.

• Locked thread