Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
New OP is not as good as the previous two, but I guess the ED is a step in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Maybe a bit of a callback to how Izaya dealt with that one girl back in season 1. Must be a family thing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It kind of bothers me that most of the characters seem to have proportions now as if they were designed by CLAMP.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Looking back on the first season, it really was almost entirely setting up this world/environment and the principle characters. People soured on the third arc when now I'm convinced more than ever it would've been fine as long as it wasn't the final story to close out on. With all of that out of the way and the general infrastructure pretty well established now, it feels a lot tighter and snappier with that natural escalation of chaos that was done so well in Baccano!.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Speaking of the chat, it wasn't immediately obvious to me at first but the twins pull another personality switch in that Mairu only says one or two words at a time and Kururi talks non-stop. They even swapped their names from the looks of it.

I believe the current breakdown is:

Setton - Celty - Gray
Taro Tanaka - Mikado - Blue
Kanra - Izaya - Orange
Saika - Anri - Red
Bakyura - Kida - Green
Kuru - Mairu - Light Blue
Mai - Kururi - Violet

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Senerio posted:

Nope. Mai's a chatterbox offline but can't type, so she's quiet. Kururi is the one who speaks a lot online.
That's exactly what I said :confused:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh, that. I thought the kanji mapped up to the other sister but it was just me getting the order they entered the chatroom wrong. They still do switch from being talkative or not in real life to the opposite online though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I get the feeling a lot of people are going to be in for a few rude awakenings in the next episode.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The characters, I have no idea what happens in the books. Assuming it's the Russians breaking into Anri's house then they could very well be double-teamed by an irritated Celty and a girl who can summon an army to do her bidding.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The studio is pretty much completely unknown, isn't it? I wonder how long they'd be shopping around to find someone willing to animate the series finally and had to more or less settle with whomever said "Yes" first.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That was Aoba and his cronies who seem to worship the Dollars.

Taro is IIRC one of the most common/bland names in Japanese. It'd be like having the online handle John Smith. Mikado has such a crazy real-life name that it's almost certainly an intentional contrast.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wonder why Izaya didn't bother to manipulate Akane himself and instead used whomever that brown-haired stand-in was. Unless Namie is going behind his back? That seems unlikely since everything seems to be going according to what Izaya planned at the moment.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

My guess would be Namie is doing this one on her own, and trying to stitch Izaya up in preparation for the inevitable murderous Yakuza reprisal. Although I'm guessing it won't work and will spiral out of control somehow, because Durarara.
Come to think of it, it was specifically Namie who used the "We are moving" notice to get Shizuo to go to the crime scene.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Nooooooo stay the gently caress away in the boonies or whatever Masaomi, the last thing this arc needs is for you to show back up conveniently at the end.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So he factions that were at play here...

Akane's father planned to have those three killed anyway because of various reasons, and figured he might as well use it as leverage in his negotiations with a rival group. To this end he hired Sloan/Varona through those two big shots (the guy with the cane/scars and the other guy with the scars). Shizuo showing up was unexpected and someone else's machinations. And Akane getting kidnapped was also obviously not part of this plan. Varona was spared because the yakuza were approached by Egor who promised them they'd give the group preferential treatment in buying guns as payment.

The kidnapping and basically everything Varona/Sloan did for shits and giggles was because of Yadogiri Jinnai, whose plan we don't know yet. He is also somehow involved with Ruri, I think? Presumably he's the actual one who roped in Shizuo. I guess I'm still not clear on whose plan that was if it wasn't Izaya's. Actually not sure what Izaya was really doing this arc at all besides getting the gently caress out of dodge early.

No real confusion with the gang war at least, I think that was pretty clear cut by the end.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be exact Akane's father had hired Sloan to kill the three guys that Shizuo was blamed for killing. Akane's father did not want it to get out that he put the hit on the 3 guys right away so he let Shizuo take the fall for a bit. Sloan and Varona kidnapped his daughter on Yadogiri Jinnai's orders which is why he sent the Top Brass of his Yakuza to take them out. Varona's father made a deal with the Yakuza to spare her despite her crimes against both the Russion Mob and Yakuza and Egor was the one relaying the deal.

Varona and Sloan attacked Akane on orders from Yadogiri. (He knew that Celty was hired on as a bodyguard and Varona wanted to take her out for fun.) Yadogiri before going into hiding from the Yakuza for stuff we don't know he did used to be Ruri's manager who apparently made her do some bad stuff or something. Varona's job to take on Anri was by a different client. (Presumably Izaya as he like the only other person that would do that.) Yadogiri had nothing to do with Shizuo, Izaya framed Shizuo for the murder and tried to get Akane to kill him. As a result of Shizuo getting involved with Akane and the Yakuza, Varona and Sloan's kidnapping failed. As retribution for messing up his plan by getting Shizuo involved Yadogiri had Izaya stabbed.

In the previous episode Shiki made the mental connection to Hollywood/Ruri when he was talking with Shinra about Shizuo not being the killer; what was the point of that connection if the person who killed them was Sloan? Was it to suggest that the previous murders were actually contracts to Sloan/Varona instead of Ruri?

If this somehow requires bringing up later spoilers obviously I'd prefer to not know about it just yet, just trying to make sure all of the pieces make sense. I'm also a little confused as to why Izaya manipulated Akane using a proxy acting like him (the guy had brown hair and we never saw his face) unless he wanted to make it such that Akane could not identify him afterwards or something. Maybe it was just for shits and giggles, which wouldn't surprise me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Shinra is a really weird dude.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Last season I thought it was kind of weird, just a bit though, how Akabayashi was given a rather pronounced presence in the openings and such yet didn't do anything until the very last episode. So it's nice to finally has his introduction of sorts out of the way.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The unseen mishaps of Shinra/Celty's vacation will always be funny. Guess they will be AWOL the whole season.

Triggerhappypilot posted:

no, kadokawa just blocks the video from being played in all regions

It wasn't that :effort: anyway.

Here, let's see if it works on a less draconian website
As a fan of that show, I laughed. So thanks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I thought the stalker was at Anri's apartment, but then who was it that beat up Shinra? Thought I guess he could've just gone back.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Being a sad sack, basically. Funny how that's how Mikado kinda sorta started out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Are those the biker cops that always chase Celty? I assume it's not the one particular guy at least (forgot his name).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like I blinked and the episode was already over.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not going crazy am I, the past like 3 episodes have felt like they were 5 minutes long. I keep getting surprised by them suddenly ending.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For some reason I missed that Yen Press was doing the light novels and are already up to volume 3. As much as I like the show I definitely get the feeling they're skipping some content so it'd be pretty sweet to tackle the books to see what's been missing. Only 13 volumes too (apparently Baccano! is at 21, sheesh).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Episode delayed this week or something?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It worked in Shaun of the Dead after all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Assuming there is only one more episode to wrap it up, man are there a lot of characters and plotlines that just kind of went nowhere. I'm vaguely aware that there is a sequel so maybe some of them like Izaya's sisters get more attention there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I liked it, the ending was good. Takahashi though certainly got a Bad End though :gonk:

• Locked thread