Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
naem
May 29, 2011

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

we're all crazy liberals who said all eggs must come from cage-free chickens. it went into effect Jan. 1

I def noticed its a dollar more for fuckin' eggs

I guess the chickens have a union

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

proof of concept posted:

is this for real?
we like our people beautiful and our chickens running free
http://whotv.com/2015/01/09/egg-prices-spike-in-california-as-hen-housing-become-costly/

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

i don't know anyone who doesn't just buy cage-free anyway

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

appropriatemetaphor posted:

*lowers hand*

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

they taste exactly the same you know

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

proof of concept posted:

Stuck in traffic is stuck in traffic, the difference is in LA you're stuck in traffic for like 2 hours minimum if you want to so much as go get groceries
I recently learned that LA has a subway which was pretty surprising, does anyone use it? Does it go anywhere?

yeah the train is pretty good but you obviously have to live near a stop for it to be useful. i'd say i make like ~80-90% of my trips by walking/bike/train, and it's clean and nice. I wish it ran later though, i've gotten stuck downtown after the last train a few times and had to cab it home which blows...

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

proof of concept posted:

they taste exactly the same you know

i don't want to eat bummer eggs from cage chickens

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
itt we are europeans visiting San Francisco

"I was thinking of going to LA, it's like an hour from here, right?"
"Why is it so cold? I only packed tank topsvests, shorts, and flipflops"
"The American diet is shameful" *is really fat*

edit: these are things that were actually said to me multiple times.

Absolute Lithops fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 10, 2015

Scrabble Tournament
May 17, 2006
MY OLD-ASS AVATAR URL BROKE THE ADMIN PANEL, THANKS RADIUM

cams posted:

my breakfast burrito place is a joint out in orange (city of, not county) called "troys". i grew up like 2 miles from the place, loving great. i can't say much about their other food since i haven't had anything except their breakfast burritos in like 15 years.

:hfive:

PixieDreamGirl
Apr 29, 2014

2014; The year I whored myself out for title changes.

Yo, I don't care what y'all do,how y'all do or where y'all do it, just keep it gangsta and never pay for an av change, have someone else do it- Ya boy Pixie

hosed up if true

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Absolute Lithops posted:

itt we are europeans visiting San Francisco

"Why is it so cold? I only packed tank topsvests, shorts, and flipflops"

i never imagined that a temperate coastal zone could be ten degrees colder than bumfuck up in the mountains in the middle of summer

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

The White Dragon posted:

i never imagined that a temperate coastal zone could be ten degrees colder than bumfuck up in the mountains in the middle of summer

Mark Twain said that the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.

As for the chicken thing: Yes, people overwhelmingly passed it. In fact, it was the same election where voters turned down gay marriage. I guess you could say gays were cock-blocked.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
state tax, crippling home prices and so much regulation if I want to start a business instead of working for one.

sounds great.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

TeeMerk posted:

state tax, crippling home prices and so much regulation if I want to start a business instead of working for one.

sounds great.

California has the distinction of being the first American state to reinvent feudalism lol

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Khazar-khum posted:

As for the chicken thing: Yes, people overwhelmingly passed it. In fact, it was the same election where voters turned down gay marriage. I guess you could say gays were cock-blocked.
I'm honestly trying not to laugh

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

California has the distinction of being the first American state to reinvent feudalism lol

Not to mention the whole direct democracy experiment.

TeeMerk posted:

sounds great.

The average home price close to where I live is 1 million, one town over it's 2 million dollars for a ugly rear end rancher style house.

The top bracket for the state is 12.3% and most counties have a 9.5% percent sales tax.

So basically CA combined both Oregon and Washington's bad state tax system into a single state.

etalian fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 10, 2015

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
imo the chicken thing is really good because we raised chickens when I was a kid and some of them were really nice chickens and they really shouldn't be crammed into tiny cages all day because that's sad. :(
I'll pay a buck more to know those filthy animals are cage free.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
West coast Best coast

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Without snow and other types of miserable whether you will become soft!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

etalian posted:

Without snow and other types of miserable whether you will become soft!

yeah well it's slightly raining and cloudy so you got your wish

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

etalian posted:

Not to mention the whole direct democracy experiment.

It's pretty hilarious how spectacularly this has failed.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

It's like 55 and there is this wet stuff falling from the sky. Does anyone know where I can find a parka?

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
haha what are you even talking about

is this a trick

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Best thing about the BART system is the filthy cloth seats or how the whole system randomly used indian gauge rails.

welcome to california!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTeaEL5xSII

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

yeah cloth seats are the worst, how am i supposed to tell if someone had a poo or a urinate on the seat without touching it??

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

yeah cloth seats are the worst, how am i supposed to tell if someone had a poo or a urinate on the seat without touching it??

I just haul a UV lamp with me when I use BART, it's pretty effective

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Lest we forget:

zonies :argh:

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 10, 2015

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

TeeMerk posted:

sounds great.

We're also not a right to work state, thank god.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bizarro Watt posted:

We're also not a right to work state, thank god.

California also has the WARN notice, which means your company has to give 2 months notice before a layoff.

Of course it has good loopholes such as only applying to companies with 50 or more employees.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

imo the chicken thing is really good because we raised chickens when I was a kid and some of them were really nice chickens and they really shouldn't be crammed into tiny cages all day because that's sad. :(
I'll pay a buck more to know those filthy animals are cage free.

you might want to actually read the specifics of the bill in that link

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I just got an earful from this douche who's moving to Texas because low taxes, less government, and less illegals and Asians. How many people are making a max exodus outside of our state, actually?

I met a really nice Albanian couple, too. Do we have a Little Albania somewhere?

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 10, 2015

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Benny the Snake posted:

I just got an earful from this douche who's moving to Texas because low taxes, less government, and less illegals and asians. How many people are making a max exodus outside of our state, actually?

I met a really nice Albanian couple, too. Do we have a Little Albania somewhere?

There's a little Armenia in LA in east Hollywood. How far is Albania from Armenia?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Fewer illegals in Texas? Even if their definition of illegal is "Hispanic looking" they're still in for a surprise.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

proof of concept posted:

you might want to actually read the specifics of the bill in that link

I get my eggs from the farmer's market near me because I am ultimate californian

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Benny the Snake posted:

I just got an earful from this douche who's moving to Texas because low taxes, less government, and less illegals and asians. How many people are making a max exodus outside of our state, actually?

A decent amount but in the grand scheme of things it isn't that much I think. It could be compared to other states but we still have at least 12 million more people than Texas already. That's more than Ohio.

Housing costs are significantly lower in Texas. The total tax burden in Texas compared to CA is about $2000 less per year. For some people that might be enough of a reason to move out of the state but for the most part it's the housing costs that are the big issue here.

Then you have the types that find California's gun laws oppressive and tyrannical (I just consider them inconvenient and largely silly) and think of places like Texas as states that "value freedom". Because gun rights are the only freedom that matters. Those people are idiots, though.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I get my eggs from the farmer's market near me because I am ultimate californian

i get guavas from the farmers market guavas fuckin rule

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

I get honey from there, too. God drat that stuff is tasty. gently caress the haters, farmers markets rule.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

I've never actually tried a guava :shobon:

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
try a guava!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserKarl
Dec 31, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

Mark Twain said that the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.

No. http://www.snopes.com/quotes/twain.asp

• Locked thread