Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

naem posted:

Perfect weather
Perfect weather
Perfect weather
Perfect weather
FIRESTORM!! BURIED ALIVE!!! SEISMIC HOLOCAUST!! TSUNAMI HELLWAVE EROSION!!
Perfect weather

In all fairness, the only one of those that affects a significant percentage of the state population when it happens is the earthquakes, and those seem to only happen every ~15 to 20 years. The big ones, that is.

We do sometimes have outbreaks of wildfires all over the state, but those are generally in really rural areas where maybe a few hundred people are affected at a time.

I don't think we've had a significant tsunami in living memory?

That mudslide up in washington that killed a bunch of people, I want to say last year? That one was worse than anything that's happened in california in living memory.

Also we do have lovely weather, it's just mostly confined to the central valley, where it spends a lot of the time every summer being way too loving hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ooh ooh now do a prospective full eruption of the Long Valley Caldera next!

e. Back to that storm,

quote:

"We think this event happens once every 100 or 200 years or so, which puts it in the same category as our big San Andreas earthquakes. The ARkStorm is essentially two historic storms (January 1969 and February 1986) put back to back in a scientifically plausible way. The model is not an extremely extreme event."

I hate it when science writers present this sort of probability by saying it happens "every 100 years or so" because that gives people who don't understand statistics the wrong idea. A much better way to put it is "the odds of this happening in any given year are about 0.5% to 1%."

Which are probably not actually that accurate odds, because global climate change is affecting our ability to use historical weather patterns to predict future weather patterns, but the point is that just because the last "fifty year flood" happened to some community ten years ago, does not mean it'll probably be another forty years before the next one: the probability of a 50-year flood is 2% per year, every year, even if it just happened last year, or if it's been a hundred years.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 13, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No-one in any burrito argument has ever, ever actually given any kind of criteria by which they decide what is good or what is better. It's always just an unqualified "it's better" which is loving useless.

bensnotacat posted:

it's all that san diegans have

burritos and beaches

They also have whale-torture facilities.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I live in the bay area and we get at least one of those guys down my block every day that it isn't raining. Which is almost every day.

It's not restricted to socal.

• Locked thread