Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

KaiserKarl posted:

San Francisco is a pretty awesome place to live if you luck into a somewhat reasonable rent controlled apartment, or are a millionaire, and don't mind copious street making GBS threads.

It also hilarious how bay area natives dislike people from the other side some much. Yup everyone was from LA is shallow, stupid and has a million dollars in plastic surgery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

If you ever visit SF everyone will hate you. They can just tell you are from LA or something. Either that or they're just rude to everyone (this is also a possibility).

They are probably mad over how you can tell if a LA girl is hot, while you can't tell for SF girls since they wear 5-6 layers.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

naem posted:

I'm in San Francisco and I def just say a guy on an electric unicycle

this machine kills techies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOOoFEKiK8A

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

California has the distinction of being the first American state to reinvent feudalism lol

Not to mention the whole direct democracy experiment.

TeeMerk posted:

state tax, crippling home prices and so much regulation if I want to start a business instead of working for one.

sounds great.

The average home price close to where I live is 1 million, one town over it's 2 million dollars for a ugly rear end rancher style house.

The top bracket for the state is 12.3% and most counties have a 9.5% percent sales tax.

So basically CA combined both Oregon and Washington's bad state tax system into a single state.

etalian fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 10, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Without snow and other types of miserable whether you will become soft!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Best thing about the BART system is the filthy cloth seats or how the whole system randomly used indian gauge rails.

welcome to california!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTeaEL5xSII

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

appropriatemetaphor posted:

yeah cloth seats are the worst, how am i supposed to tell if someone had a poo or a urinate on the seat without touching it??

I just haul a UV lamp with me when I use BART, it's pretty effective

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bizarro Watt posted:

We're also not a right to work state, thank god.

California also has the WARN notice, which means your company has to give 2 months notice before a layoff.

Of course it has good loopholes such as only applying to companies with 50 or more employees.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Part of being a white man in the bay area is getting a arranged marriage with a asian woman.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

Hummingbirds are adorable :)

California has them year around.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

http://streetpeeper.com/cities/san-francisco?type=street_peep

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

California, where people go thinking they will work for warner brothers but instead work for vivid entertainment.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

other things that own about California:

Liquor in every grocery or drug store since it doesn't have a state liquor store monopoly system

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Top City Homo posted:

still lolling that this is a thing anywhere

at a wedding in Pennsylvania they had to have a licensed bartender pour the drinks for people and they couldn't pour it themselves lmao

18 US states still have the dumb state monopoly system.

Also going into Trader Joes to buy both hippy treats and tito's vodka owns.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

i love norcal because you have your normal shady russian liquor stores except they have ice cream fridges at the front for stoned college students doing impulse purchases, but then the white trash parents bring their kids and tell them to choose something while momma picks out a new bottle of jack like some kind of fuckin daycare

Yeah there's one of those places in my neighborhood close to the caltrain station.

It has ice cream, liquor and pirogis.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

For some reason the state capital is Sacramento.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hobohemian posted:

Sometimes I forget Sacramento exists at all. It's like going north there's SD, LA,SJ, SF and then Weed, CA then Oregon.

I wouldn't mind living there, too bad it doesn't have the best employment prospects for technical fields unless you want to work for a state agency.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Top City Homo posted:

no one would live int he strip mall hell that is central california if there was no sacramento to go "party:" at least 30 minutes away

also there would be no need for all the "massage parlors"

massage parlors are a important californian institutions.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

From cow town to state capitol.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

old dog child posted:

all massage parlors own, legit or not

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Top City Homo posted:

brb gonna smoke a blunt and get a beej all at the same place

There's basically not one week in which the local paper doesn't have some sort of massage parlor bust story.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Han Nehi posted:

SF remains the only large city I've visited that I wouldn't mind living in. Not that a schlub like me could ever afford it :(

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I know lots of older white guys at work, who don't mind working overtime.

Mainly because it gives them a good cover story for their better half when they go down to the local massage parlor.

The other weird thing about SF is I thought with all single rich nerds it would have more strip clubs and other similar types of late night entertainment.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etalian fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 11, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

he was also a serious weirdo and would invite large numbers of celebrities to his place but then just stand on the balcony and stare at them interacting instead of going and talking to them lol

He was just collecting normal people for his party.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Someone post a city tier

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

withak posted:

Kids in Fresno and Bakersfield don't realize that the sky is supposed to be blue. They think that it is the color of dust.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

its good theres a lot of water and trees and supposedly squirrels that carry the bubonic plague

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGTx9YUKCIY

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

central valley is basically the Spock's beard for california.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Doo Doo on the streets in SF is no urban myth

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It takes forever to get anywhere in California

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

I was born in Orange and have lived in either Anaheim Hills, Villa Park, Orange, Orange Park Acres, Irvine and Anaheim my entire life. At least 1/2 of my family has been here since before it was a state and that half has a fairly major street named after them.

I've also eaten here, which is as far as any of you poors will ever get.*

California loving rules, but being from a loaded family in California is the best thing.

*They changed the entrance to around the corner recently so now it's just a room with the old elevator that goes nowhere, but they have a tour that will take you inside.

Did you drive a low tier BMW in high school?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

All the earthquakes, mudslides and drought is just making up for the lack of snow.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Moonbeam's greatest accomplishment was banging Linda Ronstadt

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Absolute Lithops posted:

Lol, have fun w/ your $30 theme park food

Orange County rear end in a top hat lives up to the county's reputation

:wth:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

california homeless are the best, they don't give a gently caress. the top three i saw there were
3) gandalf, who sat on various street corners around chico with a sign that said "homeless, deal w/ it, cash only, no food"
2) cat man, who had a shopping cart full of cats on leashes
1) fashionable mind control ray woman, who shaped her entire hair with thousands of meticulously-molded pieces of tin foil

I'm sure I saw Gandalf in Denver at the famous 16th st mall.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Oneiros posted:

I stopped in Schein & Schein (cool shop) once before making my way up to Coit Tower and dug out a mid 1800s map of California. I immediately noticed the depiction of an enormous lake in the central valley where I was pretty certain there was no lake. How the hell did we lose the the 10th largest lake in the country? :psyduck:

Just the same old story, the lake was overused due to agriculture/muni supply and it dried up over time despite being the largest freshwater lake in the USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

for decades the state of California has waged an unceasing war against lake-kind

California is a collection of disasters both natural and man made

• Locked thread