Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think it would be nice to see a continuation of some sort that tied up some of those loose ends, maybe something that explored Ginti's further development and answered what Nona was up to. Oculus was totally creepy there at the end, too and I was bummed that it didn't really go any further with that side of things.

I thought it was interesting that Decim's eye thing wasn't permanent. I liked that it wasn't a complete magical transformation but a process that got a bit of a jumpstart and then continued forward with more room to grow.

edit:

source (mangaka of GANGSTA.)

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Just gonna reiterate that

Allarion posted:

The afterlife is run by robots made from the soulless husks of humans. Death Parade was secretly a sci-fi robot story all along.

Which was essentially the metaplot of Death Parade. Nona, and arbiters in general aren't satisfied with their default state, and at some point start trying to understand humanity. Nona basically accelerated this process in the case of Decim just to see what would happen, but it happens to every other arbiter at some point too, as we start seeing with Ginti. This ties in thematically with how people relate to each other and how their bonds may affect them, positively or negatively.

I liked the show in general, though I think there are parts that could have been stronger. Also getting voided is still a lovely proposition, and I really wished they had went with a more ambiguous definition for void instead of being straight-up hell.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think ending with Chiuki departure was a good place to end, but I'll be kind of disappointed if they don't follow this up with something else, at least an OVA. There's a lot of very compelling side details that were provided but never really explained, and the conflict b/w Nona and Lotus Beard (forgot his name) fell flat because it seemed they didn't quite know what to do with it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

I think ending with Chiuki departure was a good place to end, but I'll be kind of disappointed if they don't follow this up with something else, at least an OVA. There's a lot of very compelling side details that were provided but never really explained, and the conflict b/w Nona and Lotus Beard (forgot his name) fell flat because it seemed they didn't quite know what to do with it.

It did have a bit of resolution; Rule 4.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It did have a bit of resolution; Rule 4.

Certainly Oculus (That's his name!) sees it as a resolution, though obviously Nona doesn't agree, and Decim's still operating and without being mind wiped, so that partial explanation makes it an awkward situation.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

A very strong and touching final episode. :cry:

The back story in general is good, but could have been constructed more robustly. I also still think that void and reincarnation should have been presented more ambiguously. In short: for some souls reincarnation might be actually a prolongation of their suffering that would be mercifully stopped by entering the void. But we've talked about this several times already.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Felt like they were setting themselves up for a second season -- otherwise, that was an incredibly grim ending for the show. Nona's attempt to expand the system is crushed, No Name (Now With Name) is spaced, but Decim has a creepy doll to remember her by.

I anticipate that, if there is any kind of follow up, it'll focus on Ginti and the girl he voided. Since those souls are used as base material for the Arbiters, I wouldn't put it past them to bring her (bonded with the idol) back as a new Arbiter.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Felt like they were setting themselves up for a second season -- otherwise, that was an incredibly grim ending for the show. Nona's attempt to expand the system is crushed, No Name (Now With Name) is spaced, but Decim has a creepy doll to remember her by.

I anticipate that, if there is any kind of follow up, it'll focus on Ginti and the girl he voided. Since those souls are used as base material for the Arbiters, I wouldn't put it past them to bring her (bonded with the idol) back as a new Arbiter.

I don't think that was actually confirmed anywhere, I just speculated about the nature of arbiters because they have dummy bodies just like humans have dummy bodies when they're being judged, so I just specced that arbiters might retain the former soul that the dummy used to have, which would explain them slowly gaining emotions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Allarion posted:

I don't think that was actually confirmed anywhere, I just speculated about the nature of arbiters because they have dummy bodies just like humans have dummy bodies when they're being judged, so I just specced that arbiters might retain the former soul that the dummy used to have, which would explain them slowly gaining emotions.

Nona and Oculus pretty much straight up say how Arbiters work, early on in the finale.

• Locked thread