Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I meant arbitrary in the sense of damning someone to oblivion because they had an affair. I don't know what's typical for Eastern religions but from where I'm standing that's some old testament poo poo. I'm just waiting to see if the show wants us to think of the judgements the games provide as just and right, or if it's meant to be ugly and unfair for some reason.

Hmm--speaking from personal exp Eastern religions (Buddhism?) don't have a hell or a concept of being damned forever per se. It's fairly forgiving in the idea how a person who committed crime will have a chance to redeem him or herself in the next life. IIRC I always felt they were less judge-y than say Christianity but then again my knowledge of religion kinda stopped after that one Global History class :coffee:

Not to say it's OK to be a vengeful person for the rest of the person's life but actually nothing is forbidding it either other than perhaps karma.

Ofc this all based off my own conjecture and I read despite Shintoism being popular in Japan they don't really have a set default religion? I do know they have Buddhist funerals though.

BTW: I don't think that person will necessarily suffer but in stead just decide to not play the reincarnation game again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I look at the end result in this anime this way: It's fiction. Anything could happen. I think reading too much into the religious aspects of the afterlife for this particular anime isn't really going to get me too far. Some person or people made up a set of rules, perhaps based on the ideals of their society or perhaps not, and wrote an interesting story with that as the backdrop. Maybe I'll get a clearer picture of the whys and what-nots of those who are damned and those who are saved as the series progresses. Maybe it'll befuddle me completely each time an eternal sentence is declared?

No guarantees that the two that come down can't take the same elevator, right? Although, they do actually arrive in separate elevators, so you'd assume they'd depart in separate elevators. Likewise, the stories won't be interesting if there isn't some kind of conflict. In the original billiards one, I think both gents ended up being pretty drat good at billiards, but one was a sleaze and the other wasn't. I think?

Hence, we might assume that we won't be seeing any major accidents with multiple deaths, and that the two individuals who actually do show up will be interesting. If the parties coming down in the elevators aren't interesting, there's no point. Maybe we'll see two people per elevator or more? Elevators can hold more than one person, right?

I would like to see some people initially realize they're dead and not act all "what? what?" at some point. That'll get old fast. I want Decim to ask a guy, "Do you remember what happened immediately before coming here?" And he's like, "Yeah, my friend dared me to pee on the bare power line exposed near the transfer station....Oh. poo poo!

Also, if we get to know the people behind the scenes and their stories, that may be the most entertaining thing of all. My guess is that every other episode will be one about those working the place. The best would be if they actually got their supplies from the real world via some delivery folks.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think that the most important thing in the episode is the look on her face as the elevator door closes.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
From what little I know of religion, I know that reincarnation is not necessarily a positive, considering the goal is to break out of it and reach enlightenment. In any case, the first episode as well as death billiards left it pretty ambiguous as well. Like the old man in billiards was obviously not the rear end in a top hat in that game, but there were a couple glimpses at his past younger life where he may have been an rear end in a top hat as well, not to mention taking the demon elevator and smiling about it. The first episode was a retread of that dynamic for anyone who hasn't seen the ova, with the obvious rear end in a top hat who wants to live and the more ambiguous person who is more accepting of their fate. Hopefully the show will expand beyond that, exploring the staff as well as how various people face their lives and death.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just hope they change the format, soon, real soon because introducing two new characters so that they can have a match, get judged and nothing else will get old real quickly.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Well next episode seems to be one that will be giving us some character development for the 'staff'. Possibly even some insight into the system of judgement they use.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

That OP will never get old though. Maybe the show will be about the quirky staff of Queen Decim trying to rehearse the song and dance number in the OP while being interrupted by dead folks.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That OP really is the greatest thing.

cammy14
Apr 5, 2011
I'm in the camp that the woman was lying about the baby not being her husband's, judging from the flashback of the pregnancy test. She was radiant and happy, and I don't think an illegitimate child would bring out that same reaction.

I thought the guy checking the phone on the bed was her husband though, I interpreted that scene as him waiting for her to fall asleep before checking for mails/messages on the woman's phone for signs of an affair.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

cammy14 posted:

I thought the guy checking the phone on the bed was her husband though, I interpreted that scene as him waiting for her to fall asleep before checking for mails/messages on the woman's phone for signs of an affair.

Oh that makes perfect sense, I hadn't really thought of it like that.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I thought so too, but when I rewatched it I saw that he didn't quite look like her husband. Also if he really had been jealously checking her phone he wouldn't have looked so calm, I think. In my opinion the woman really did cheat and felt guilty about it but the kid is probably the husband's.

I really wonder if she loved him though. The flashback with the happy memories suggests so, maybe she loved him but started to resent him because of his jealousy and so on and that's what caused her outburst at the end... Or it was an attempt to save her husband and trick the arbiter but it would be weird if he couldn't see through something like this. And if he had seen through a possible attempt to save the husband it would have made more sense to punish the husband or reincarnate them both.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

People are complicated. It's possible she did at one point in their relationship but due to his reactions and paranoia about her being not faithful her opinion of him changed at the last min. I do like playing armchair psychologist if that makes sense because if I can't over-analyze anime IDK what else I can do for life :coffee:

Sometimes it's a lot more than do I like this person enough? Esp. if there's eternal pressures for people to get married by a certain age (I know because of reasons :v:) and in the end people find themselves in less than ideal situations but don't know how to move forward anyways.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

It could also be that the episode required a ton of little details to be made accurately (facial expressions, timings of body language, etc.) and a few fell through the cracks compared to what the director actually wanted to show.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Maybe something awful is our Queen Decim

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Way I read the ending was what the man thought happened didn't happen, but she went out of her way to convince herself this was true so that she could burn that bridge. Only part I have that is a sticking point is motivation; was it to spite him, since he's revealed that black spot he's been harboring for their whole relationship, or did she do it because she knew he couldn't live with knowing his paranoia led to his killing himself, his wife, and their unborn child. Her somber expression at the end throws both things in the air and I love and I hope they never explain it.

Also, more BRADIO appreciation, because goddamn this band has a great sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm1rnknsoEY

edit: buddy keeps finding more songs and :sbahj:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiHubLFtRw4

tlarn fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 14, 2015

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I'm hoping for a little more elaboration on the means by which people are judged but that most of the details of the final verdicts are left ambiguous. I don't think I really ever want to know for sure why she went down and he went up. I'm not entirely sure if that's possible, but hey we'll see I guess.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Does anyone else think the OP doesn't quite fit the show? It's cool and all, but it feels like it would be better suited to a more showy anime.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

HiveCommander posted:

Does anyone else think the OP doesn't quite fit the show? It's cool and all, but it feels like it would be better suited to a more showy anime.

I think its great because of how unfitting it is for the show. You expect fun and game then boom (boom boom) its purgatory kaiji.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Good point.
When will we get our shoujo romance anime with Babymetal or something doing the OP

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

tlarn posted:

Way I read the ending was what the man thought happened didn't happen, but she went out of her way to convince herself this was true so that she could burn that bridge. Only part I have that is a sticking point is motivation; was it to spite him, since he's revealed that black spot he's been harboring for their whole relationship, or did she do it because she knew he couldn't live with knowing his paranoia led to his killing himself, his wife, and their unborn child. Her somber expression at the end throws both things in the air and I love and I hope they never explain it.

Also, more BRADIO appreciation, because goddamn this band has a great sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm1rnknsoEY

edit: buddy keeps finding more songs and :sbahj:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiHubLFtRw4

That was my reading of it too. The Hubby was mistaken, lived in paranoia, paranoia causes crash.

e: It wasn't wasn't really much of a spoiler at least, assuming everyone's watched the first episode.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 14, 2015

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Realizing the broken spoiler tag in 3... 2.... 1....

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

tlarn posted:

Also I just might have to add the band that did the OP, BRADIO, to my list of stuff I regularly listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w0E6y01OuQ

:allears:

:drat: this is smooth as gently caress. That dudes afro is awesome aswell.

I really liked the first episode if the series continues along these lines I will be a happy camper, I need to watch the OVA too.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

@tlarn: Thanks for posting the YT as I like their songs despite not really following any JPN bands due to language barrier and all.

About the OP and I agree with how it's different but a welcome change to a gloomy topic to be so energetic? Sure it's possible to overdo it in a way that's weird and jarring but I say this probably one of the better OP for this season.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

trucutru posted:

I just hope they change the format, soon, real soon because introducing two new characters so that they can have a match, get judged and nothing else will get old real quickly.

I'm still hoping that this is the next jogoku shoujo (season 1). That was basically 4 or 5 eps of people being sent to hell before the plot kicked in.

Jigoku shoujo season 1 was very good.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I want Death Mahjong so bad.

In terms of the shows inner philosophy though I'm really cautious, I am not a fan of religions whole thing about deciding where you go or buddhisms voidness as being the ultimate goal. I think its interesting how our impression of the show might be radically different from a Japanese or Chinese audience.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Oh my god, all this time everyone was arguing over what happened in the first episode, and then it turns out all the ambiguity arose because Decim is too dense to understand the subtleties of human emotion. What a completely unanticipated twist!

E: I wonder if the OVA is canonically part of this time line and if Decim has managed to get better at not loving up by then.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

pandaK posted:

Oh my god, all this time everyone was arguing over what happened in the first episode, and then it turns out all the ambiguity arose because Decim is too dense to understand the subtleties of human emotion. What a completely unanticipated twist!

E: I wonder if the OVA is canonically part of this time line and if Decim has managed to get better at not loving up by then.

Yeah, here we were thinking that the arbiters were infallible:v:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parcae

quote:

Nona (Greek equivalent Clotho), who spun the thread of life from her distaff onto her spindle;[1]
Decima (Greek Lachesis), who measured the thread of life with her rod;[2]
Morta (Greek Atropos), who cut the thread of life and chose the manner of a person's death.

Just something I came across when I Google searched Nona on the off chance she was named after something.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Decim, Nona, Quin are all numbers.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Decim, Nona, Quin are all numbers.

Decim = 10, Nona = 9, Quin = 5?

That sorta makes sense since Nona said they were headed to floor 15, which is the Quindecim.

Genocyber posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parcae

Just something I came across when I Google searched Nona on the off chance she was named after something.

I wouldn't count this out yet though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, this show just got even more conceptually terrifying.

Not only are people who die subjected to an arbitrary, sadistic adjudication process to see whether their soul gets tossed in the cosmic trash heap or not, but the guy assigned to it is such a socially stunted goonlord that he can't even read the people he's supposed to be judging, and his boss has had to bring in an assistant to mitigate his fuckups a little.

On another note, I wonder what Miss Black's deal is? Her reaction to her new partner accidentally destroying an innocent woman seemed a little too muted for anyone with a strong connection to the human world, so I'm guessing she's not recently dead, but she does still seem more human than the rest of the celestial bureaucracy.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
She is someone mistakenly sent to the void by Decim is my random guess. The arbiters being fallible does bring a whole different spin to this afterlife though, and gives Decim room for a character arc as well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Allarion posted:

She is someone mistakenly sent to the void by Decim is my random guess. The arbiters being fallible does bring a whole different spin to this afterlife though, and gives Decim room for a character arc as well.

I doubt it. This episode made it fairly clear that if you get voided, you're gone for good. I really doubt that Machiko, for instance, is coming back.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Darth Walrus posted:

I doubt it. This episode made it fairly clear that if you get voided, you're gone for good. I really doubt that Machiko, for instance, is coming back.

Just a random guess with no real basis anyways until the show delves into the staff more, and possibly how everything works. Can't shake the feeling the house in the valley is significant somehow, but it's probably just Nono's really nice house.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

On another note, I wonder what Miss Black's deal is? Her reaction to her new partner accidentally destroying an innocent woman seemed a little too muted for anyone with a strong connection to the human world, so I'm guessing she's not recently dead, but she does still seem more human than the rest of the celestial bureaucracy.

I think she's still pretty disoriented after suddenly showing up here with, as far as we know, no memories. I'm guessing her situation hasn't really sunk in yet, and so the significance of that went over her head. Or maybe she's just very level headed and has lots of self-control. :shrug:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

Decim = 10, Nona = 9, Quin = 5?

That sorta makes sense since Nona said they were headed to floor 15, which is the Quindecim.

And Nona's house is on the 90th floor.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Allarion posted:

Just a random guess with no real basis anyways until the show delves into the staff more, and possibly how everything works. Can't shake the feeling the house in the valley is significant somehow, but it's probably just Nono's really nice house.

Both the house and the picture book(?) she has are prominently featured in the OP, so I would assume they will be relevant later.
I'm guessing each arbiter has his/her own workplace to judge people assigned to them and Decim's happens to be a sweet bar.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm hoping there's less exposition dumps in future episodes, because while we learned some interesting things it felt like a whole lot of nothing. I feel like this would have benefited from an hour long first episode to set this stuff up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm hoping there's less exposition dumps in future episodes, because while we learned some interesting things it felt like a whole lot of nothing. I feel like this would have benefited from an hour long first episode to set this stuff up.

I think all the expo and dissection of the process actually gave it a bit more impact here. It gives the impression that this is a standardised, formalised system devised by wiser minds than ours where the brutality is regrettable but necessary, and then haha nope it's just because they don't get how people work.

They basically just went all Senate torture report on us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

"Oops, I may have just damned an innocent woman to Hell. Oh well, who's up for drinks?"

Seriously though, I am really excited see where this show goes. Can't wait for Death Bowling next week

• Locked thread