Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

Not responding to a baby crying, its only method of communication mind you, is a solid method of potentially giving them a vast array of mental and/or physical issues. There are some theories regarding not giving in to the obvious demands of toddlers crying but that is not comparable to ignoring a loving baby, especially at night.

V isn't asking Kev to ignore their kids crying all the time. She's asking this one time because their relationship needs it. I think she had a point that the kids have been fed and changed, they would be okay to wait for a few minutes. I cater to my kids hand and foot, but after you have your second... you just can't hold the baby 24/7. Sometimes they have to cry. You try to reduce that as much as you can, but they're not going to be traumatized for life because you let them cry once. You can even argue that it's better for the kids to be ignored during that conversation, because having two loving parents is a lot better than two bickering ones or just a single parent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Kitiara posted:

V isn't asking Kev to ignore their kids crying all the time. She's asking this one time because their relationship needs it. I think she had a point that the kids have been fed and changed, they would be okay to wait for a few minutes.

Or maybe she could apologise for shouting and waking the kids, go up stairs for 30 seconds to get them back to sleep and continue the important conversation without the skull piercing sounds of two babies crying.

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011

Tailored Sauce posted:

Definitely. Her last argument with Kevin was basically "I thought it would still be the same, just with two other people in the house" I threw my hands up at how stupid that was. And then giving him an ultimatum right after that, ridiculous.

When I heard that, I was thinking the same thing.

I don't know if she wanted kids all along, but I had the vibe in the last episode that V was being really self-absorbed. I'm hoping that she's coming down with PPD.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Mickey. :smith:

Cloyster
Jun 26, 2011
My heart is breaking for Mickey. Watching him beat the poo poo out of that dude while muttering "I won't cheat on Ian" made my heart melt.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
gently caress this Jimmy storyline so much.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Other than that, this was the first great episode of the season. Cameron Monaghan and Noel Fisher have both become such tremendous young actors.

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

Noel Fisher is a great young actor and really carried this episode. Poor Mickey :(

I was a little disappointed that Mickey finally said I love you over a voice mail though.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Excellent episode for me, especially since I'm mostly fine with the Jimmy storyline - apart from him not laying out the fact that he was kidnapped as clearly as he should have. The rest was brilliant. Also, it was fun to see Jennifer Hale in it.

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

BreakAtmo posted:

Excellent episode for me, especially since I'm mostly fine with the Jimmy storyline - apart from him not laying out the fact that he was kidnapped as clearly as he should have. The rest was brilliant. Also, it was fun to see Jennifer Hale in it.

Yeah he should have fessed up about the whole story about what happened. Glad to see him back but he's seriously too toxic for Fiona who is a chaos addict and needs someone more stable.

I liked the cup guy from season 4 but she f'd that up pretty quickly.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
So Jimmy very obviously knocked up Fiona this episode, right? There might be some question of Gus being the father, but it will be Jimmy, no doubt.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

LazyDivey posted:

Yeah he should have fessed up about the whole story about what happened. Glad to see him back but he's seriously too toxic for Fiona who is a chaos addict and needs someone more stable.

I liked the cup guy from season 4 but she f'd that up pretty quickly.

Well, I mean, he did tell her all this stuff we didn't know about being chained in the yacht and being guarded by women with AKs, but even to me it sounded like crazy bullshit despite me knowing it's true. He really should have started with Estefania and her kingpin father - Fiona actually knows about them, knows how dangerous the father was, and likely would have understood what happened since it would ease her into the story.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

poor Mickey :(

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Tyree posted:

So Jimmy very obviously knocked up Fiona this episode, right? There might be some question of Gus being the father, but it will be Jimmy, no doubt.

Well Emmy did say that a Gallagher was getting preggers this season...so I'm willing to bet you maybe right and that'll lead into S6.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Also, was it just me who thought the second Fiona/Jimmy sex scene was a pointed mirror to their first time in the pilot? Where it ended up being considerably different, of course, but the start is very similar.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

BreakAtmo posted:

Also, it was fun to see Jennifer Hale in it.
I did a double take with that because although I recognize her stereotypical voice, I don't think I've seen her face before so even after going back and looking at that scene I was kinda confused there, because she sounded a lot more sedate than I expected.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

This episode was art. It was basically a hangover from the first five. Everyone had to deal with the repercussions of their actions.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

jesus christ.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I love the story they're telling with Gus and Jimmy. Just as Fiona finds what she think is happiness with Gus she realizes she obviously doesn't know him at all. She starts to doubt and just like that the person that she knows best and best knows her walks right back into her life. It's made even more apparent when everything is going to hell and Gus has no idea which brother is even which and Jimmy jumps right back into the fold with a handle on the situation because he's been around them for years now. It also shows how much Fiona has changed because a big part of the problem with Jimmy was her attachment to the family and now it's almost like she's the odd man out there because this entire thing went down without her even around.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The biggest lovely thing on Jimmy's part was waiting until Fiona was married before he even let himself be known. He had his "partner" spy on Fiona for months, talking directly with Fiona for weeks at least, and just when she had the ring and was a week or so into marriage Jimmy just decides to come back into Fiona's life.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Jimmy is such a sleazy turd, god drat. He should've died on that boat.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, I hate him about as much as Frank at this point. Fiona really seems to have zero self-control, though.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Tyree posted:

I was gonna say "but she told him to stop" but then I remembered that they had sex the previous night so whoops :downs:

On one hand I felt bad for Fiona realising what her actions are again costing her but then I remembered that I actually was more concerned about Gus, poor Gus :smith:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Krowley posted:

Jimmy is such a sleazy turd, god drat. He should've died on that boat.

"Leave your family for me, they'll be fine."
*years later*
"Leave your newlywed husband for me, he'll be fine."

MrTpug
Feb 16, 2011

I do love that Sammy has taken over for Fiona and is essentially doing a better job at this point

rubberrazors
Nov 1, 2011

"I'm sorry. I love you. I love you! I'm so sorry. Hey, can I have some coffee? Fiona, I love you so much. I'm sorry."

-Jimmy/Steve, 2015

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
All the stuff about Ian with the baby was just painful to watch. No food or diapers, running with the baby, I hate seeing that stuff. I don't know anything about bipolar but can you just forget how to care for a baby completely like that? He was being so responsible with him before this. I don't mean the impulsiveness, but wondering why he was crying and not changing a diaper until the next day.

I agree that Jimmy Steve "gets" Fiona and her family but he's always lied to her. I don't particularly warm to Gus. He's so bland puddingface that he just went along with being Fiona's pretend date to asking her to marry him within a week. What a weirdo. They're both pretty awful in their own way. Fiona, it wouldn't kill you to be single for a while.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

hepscat posted:

All the stuff about Ian with the baby was just painful to watch. No food or diapers, running with the baby, I hate seeing that stuff. I don't know anything about bipolar but can you just forget how to care for a baby completely like that? He was being so responsible with him before this. I don't mean the impulsiveness, but wondering why he was crying and not changing a diaper until the next day.

I think by that point he had a full on psychotic break.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hepscat posted:

I agree that Jimmy Steve "gets" Fiona and her family but he's always lied to her. I don't particularly warm to Gus. He's so bland puddingface that he just went along with being Fiona's pretend date to asking her to marry him within a week. What a weirdo. They're both pretty awful in their own way. Fiona, it wouldn't kill you to be single for a while.

The shots of him leaving the baby on the hood of the car turned my stomach. I kept expecting to hear grass crunching and the baby to have rolled off or something.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

MrTpug posted:

I do love that Sammy has taken over for Fiona and is essentially doing a better job at this point

Taken over for Fiona, yes, but she has more of a Sheila quality. I guess with Sheila gone Sammi has to pull double duty.

edit: I liked when Sammi was warning Debbie about high school as if it were some juvenile detention center or prison. I mean it's the inner city but she made it sound like Gitmo.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 17, 2015

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

hepscat posted:

All the stuff about Ian with the baby was just painful to watch.

That was Edge of Your Seat poo poo. Scary as hell.

Having a Bi-Polar loved one would loving suck.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
The stuff with Ian hits really close to home for me and yeah, it's a pretty drat good portrayal of mania cycles. I was happy they finally got him into a place, but I'm also super worried this arc is going to end with him killing himself somehow.

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah, I hate him about as much as Frank at this point. Fiona really seems to have zero self-control, though.

Jimmy/Steve/Jack should have hosed off back to Brazil.

If last season taught me anything, Fiona never had any self-control. Sean was right on the money.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Fiona has no self-control around men in her life. Remember, every Gallagher has this principal vice. Fiona is not a terrible person but she's being pulled in both directions which is sorta making her neglect Carl/Debbie/Liam.

I'm actually kinda surprised and not surprised at the same time how Sammi just course corrected after the first third of this season. Of course, her obvious vice was trying to get Frank's approval but that's bound to be a swing and a miss, so she doesn't really have anything really to unhinge her.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
What was the purpose of Svetlana's friend/co-worker soliciting the soon to be dad of the surrogate baby? I thought maybe the wife would catch the husband and they'd ditch the kid, but nope.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Tyree posted:

What was the purpose of Svetlana's friend/co-worker soliciting the soon to be dad of the surrogate baby? I thought maybe the wife would catch the husband and they'd ditch the kid, but nope.
I think it was just like a bit of "hey Shameless is kooky and funny sometimes" while the rest of the episode was basically pathos bombs.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico

Tyree posted:

Probably future blackmail

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

I really like Debbie's storyline this season. The only real plot that kinda bores me is the Kev/V stuff, though I think it has potential. I don't think their relationship has ever been tested like this before, sans maybe that one episode where Kev's old girlfriend came trotting into town with a kid she claimed was his.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
The bipolar Ian scenes with the baby just made me want to smack him for endangering that poor kid.

Great to see Jimmy / Steve again. Hope the one true pairing happens again, this time with less chaos.

Also, I saw at the end of the credits a compliance statement about "sexually explicit conduct." Is this new and for what scene did they need it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

liltimshady posted:

When I heard that, I was thinking the same thing.

I don't know if she wanted kids all along, but I had the vibe in the last episode that V was being really self-absorbed. I'm hoping that she's coming down with PPD.

Is there any doubt that this is full-on PPD right now? You basically never see V interacting with the kids and when she is, it's with fairly overt resentment.

• Locked thread