Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Fairly overt is putting it mildly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If anybody wants a bit more manic Ian he guest started on Gotham this week playing a young Joker. The show is trash but I think he did a great Joker considering he had to follow Heath loving Ledger.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

If anybody wants a bit more manic Ian he guest started on Gotham this week playing a young Joker. The show is trash but I think he did a great Joker considering he had to follow Heath loving Ledger.
poo poo , really? guess i should catch up on gotham, but good choice.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

You know, when Ian was plotting about how to get back at those protestors at the funeral, I was thinking he'd be a good Joker.

Did anyone else feel like all the scenes with Ian could've been used for developing the other plot threads? I think everyone watching the show knew how it would end, considering that he just ran to the car with the baby with absolutely no preparation, and we already knew Ian needed psychiatric help. It just felt like a shaggy dog story.

On another note, I'm glad to see Jimmy back but holy poo poo, I was waiting for him to say "Estafania got deported and her dad was really pissed at me" instead of "I love you" to quell Fiona's anger repeatedly.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

FireWorksWell posted:

On another note, I'm glad to see Jimmy back but holy poo poo, I was waiting for him to say "Estafania got deported and her dad was really pissed at me" instead of "I love you" to quell Fiona's anger repeatedly.

That's because Jimmysteve is a manipulative sack of poo poo and he said whatever he had to say to get Fiona to gently caress him at that time. And it worked because when it comes to choosing guys she is weak and self-destructive

I'm hoping they're not gonna pull a contrived True Blood-like pairing with the two of them for what is bound to be the last couple of seasons

rubberrazors
Nov 1, 2011

If Jimmy wasn't so much of a whiny rear end everytime someone (deservedly) told him to gently caress off, I'd find him more bearable. But he's been like that since the beginning and now that he's back it's worse than ever.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

rubberrazors posted:

If Jimmy wasn't so much of a whiny rear end everytime someone (deservedly) told him to gently caress off, I'd find him more bearable. But he's been like that since the beginning and now that he's back it's worse than ever.

To be honest Jmmy's one of my favorite characters in the show because of how he reacts to the environment around him; he has great dialogue (I'd watch a sitcom about Jimmy and Escalade Guy; "Hey, how's that finger doing buddy?" "Better, it's finally starting to heal") and can pull some hilarious expressions.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

he's certainly come a looooong way from being an anglo-Goku :v:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aces High posted:

For like a year I went around saying "Hey, apparently there is a live action DBZ movie that stars Jesse from Breaking Bad!"

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Aces High posted:

Well Emmy Rossum did play Bulma :v:

rubberrazors
Nov 1, 2011

FireWorksWell posted:

To be honest Jmmy's one of my favorite characters in the show because of how he reacts to the environment around him; he has great dialogue (I'd watch a sitcom about Jimmy and Escalade Guy; "Hey, how's that finger doing buddy?" "Better, it's finally starting to heal") and can pull some hilarious expressions.

I loved that line and also his reaction to his poor finger. That face was priceless. I give jimmy credit when I can but altogether he's ugh.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I have to say I wasn't feeling last episode. I'm all about Shameless doing disturbing stuff from time to time but this episode just piled it on. The baby stuff was uncomfortable to watch and went on way too long. Mix in Fiona's uncomfortable sex scenes and the mental hospital stuff and it felt like they packed in a season worth of depressing poo poo into one hour.

My main gripe with the show now is that none of the Gallaghers really have stories together anymore. They all seem to be doing their own thing and it's like 5-6 different shows in one. Lip and Ian were so close at the beginning of the show and seem to never interact anymore. Fiona doesn't seem to care much about the younger ones. Frank feels more like a prop when he's hanging out at the house. It's cool that they all do their own thing but I miss those scenes where they did stuff together (the Lip/Fiona stuff was great last season).

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Debbie and Carl seem to be doing lots of stuff together but I definitely agree about the rest of the family.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aces High posted:

Debbie and Carl seem to be doing lots of stuff together but I definitely agree about the rest of the family.

Coincidentally those two have been the best thing about this season.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Niwrad posted:

My main gripe with the show now is that none of the Gallaghers really have stories together anymore. They all seem to be doing their own thing and it's like 5-6 different shows in one. Lip and Ian were so close at the beginning of the show and seem to never interact anymore. Fiona doesn't seem to care much about the younger ones. Frank feels more like a prop when he's hanging out at the house. It's cool that they all do their own thing but I miss those scenes where they did stuff together (the Lip/Fiona stuff was great last season).

While I miss those moments, it's hard to make a character drama like this while keeping all of the characters together and static. They have to move on to other things or it'll get stale after a while. That being said yeah, they don't even really feel like a "family" any more, they're more like a bunch of people who just kind of run into each other from time to time while out doing their own things.

It's one thing to be dysfunctional, it's another to be totally estranged which is how it's starting to feel.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
drat, the scenes with Ian and the baby were just heart wrenching and infuriating at the same time. One great thing to come of all that though is Mickey's reaction. loving badass, take no poo poo, in your face Southside MICKEY is in love and doing his part to save Ian. His tearful goodbye to Ian at the psych ward was fantastic. Team Mickey 4 lyfe, Ukranian whores and all.

If anyone hasn't seen it, Noel Fisher (Mickey) is in season two of The Booth At The End, a really good fantasy on Hulu that everyone should watch.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

King Vidiot posted:

While I miss those moments, it's hard to make a character drama like this while keeping all of the characters together and static. They have to move on to other things or it'll get stale after a while. That being said yeah, they don't even really feel like a "family" any more, they're more like a bunch of people who just kind of run into each other from time to time while out doing their own things.

It's one thing to be dysfunctional, it's another to be totally estranged which is how it's starting to feel.

That is life though. You grow up, move out, live your life, and see your siblings every now and then.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Was there no new episode on last night?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

Was there no new episode on last night?

Guess not! Looks like next ep is March 1st. No wonder I couldn't find it last night.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I don't get all the hate for Jimmy/Steve, he's one of my favorite characters on the show. He understands Fiona more than any of the other guys she dated. Then again I don't really like Gus.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Gaunab posted:

I don't get all the hate for Jimmy/Steve, he's one of my favorite characters on the show. He understands Fiona more than any of the other guys she dated. Then again I don't really like Gus.

If you haven't noticed, instead of forming their own opinions goons will frequently decide what opinions a thread should have for any given topic and if you disagree youre wrong.

This thread decided to dislike jimmy.

I like him too, though.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

E: oh yeah, it's all a conspiracy to keep TEAM JIMMY/STEVE down. This goes right to the top! :jerkbag:

Gaunab posted:

Did you not think the way he emotionally manipulated her into sex the last episode was hosed up?
Or that sleezy smug smile on his face the morning after when he just hung out at the Gallagher's, slowly sipping his coffee after being explicitly told to get out by Fiona?

Guy is creepy as hell

Krowley fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 1, 2015

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
That doesn't make him a bad character ffs

It's ok to like a character that doesn't do nice things. Don't worry, he's not a real person.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Fetus Tree posted:

That doesn't make him a bad character ffs

It's ok to like a character that doesn't do nice things. Don't worry, he's not a real person.

Maybe you should calm down and not be such a twat about a TV show?

It's fine if you like him, I don't care, I was just replying to the guy who didn't get why people didn't, which honesty should be fairly obvious by now

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Jimmy/Steve has been interesting when he is powerless in a scenario, whenever he has power he's more on a level of Frank in terms of scumminess. I recall the discussions about who was right and who was wrong in season 3 when he and Fiona constantly got in arguments about how he wasn't being appreciated enough and she could give less of a gently caress since there were more important things to take care of.

I don't think it's that the thread hates Jimmy/Steve it's more that the type of Jimmy/Steve we are seeing is not a character that many people want around. I liked him in season 3 because he was cut off and had to survive and it was funny to see him continue to be a whiny bitch and everyone around him going "get your head out of your rear end and contribute, we only need one Frank" but so far I'm not liking where the show is taking his character. I actually felt really bad for Fiona when she had sex with him a second time because it kind of dawns on her how bad she is with relationships and while, sure, Jimmy/Steve gets her better than most of the other guys she's been with that doesn't mean that the way he came back into her life isn't super creepy, especially since she's married.

We can talk all day about how her getting married was a super rash decision and shouldn't have happened the way it did but you cannot deny that Jimmy/Steve's conduct regarding it shows that he doesn't actually care about Fiona's well-being, he just wants her under his thumb and it has been that way since the series premiere. Sure it makes for a great character in terms of what they can explore but much like how I do not like Lip some people just do not like Jimmy/Steve

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
That was very well put.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Krowley posted:

Maybe you should calm down and not be such a twat about a TV show?

It's fine if you like him, I don't care, I was just replying to the guy who didn't get why people didn't, which honesty should be fairly obvious by now

I'm calmer than you are

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Newly handsome Carl, bipolar Ian, and Frank's oldest daughter are all big wins this season - they're extroverts in a cast that until this point had generally been tormented and withdrawn. It's totally plausible to imagine Samantha enjoying making pancakes for everyone, whereas there's no way that Fiona actually enjoys doing that. (This is part of why it was so gutting when bipolarmom showed up and left - she brought a personality the family really was missing until recently.)

Carl has been especially hilarious this season - it's great watching him try really hard but still have difficulty keeping track of weed without having to have some angst-ridden close-up monologue where he shares his pain at like how hard everything is.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 1, 2015

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Jimmy being all "you got married?!" is kinda rich considering he showed back up from one of his disappearances married to a Brazilian crime lord's daughter.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Jimmy being all "you got married?!" is kinda rich considering he showed back up from one of his disappearances married to a Brazilian crime lord's daughter.

Yeah he was forced into that a little different.

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011

Aces High posted:

Jimmy/Steve has been interesting when he is powerless in a scenario, whenever he has power he's more on a level of Frank in terms of scumminess. I recall the discussions about who was right and who was wrong in season 3 when he and Fiona constantly got in arguments about how he wasn't being appreciated enough and she could give less of a gently caress since there were more important things to take care of.

I don't think it's that the thread hates Jimmy/Steve it's more that the type of Jimmy/Steve we are seeing is not a character that many people want around. I liked him in season 3 because he was cut off and had to survive and it was funny to see him continue to be a whiny bitch and everyone around him going "get your head out of your rear end and contribute, we only need one Frank" but so far I'm not liking where the show is taking his character. I actually felt really bad for Fiona when she had sex with him a second time because it kind of dawns on her how bad she is with relationships and while, sure, Jimmy/Steve gets her better than most of the other guys she's been with that doesn't mean that the way he came back into her life isn't super creepy, especially since she's married.

We can talk all day about how her getting married was a super rash decision and shouldn't have happened the way it did but you cannot deny that Jimmy/Steve's conduct regarding it shows that he doesn't actually care about Fiona's well-being, he just wants her under his thumb and it has been that way since the series premiere. Sure it makes for a great character in terms of what they can explore but much like how I do not like Lip some people just do not like Jimmy/Steve

This is one of the most well-put analysis of Jimmy/Jack/Steve that I have read this season.

What I didn't like about his character this season was the way he wormed his way back into Fiona's life without any regard for her situation (like, she's married) as if she would just take him back. I don't think it was creepy, just selfish. At the same time it also puts in the forefront Fiona's lack of self-control and propensity towards chaos.

One moment that I overlooked the first time was Sean's comment (paraphrasing): "You hit him about six times, so I'm guessing you slept with him." It's like Sean is psychic. Then again, he did say that Fiona is chaos, and he's been through it all himself.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Sober posted:

I did a double take with that because although I recognize her stereotypical voice, I don't think I've seen her face before so even after going back and looking at that scene I was kinda confused there, because she sounded a lot more sedate than I expected.

Who the gently caress are you guys talking about? IMDB has this Jennifer Hale person as "Karen's Mom" and the only Karen I know who exists in this show is the one who got knocked up with the Asian down syndrome baby and then run over by Mandy. Karen's mom is Joan Cusack, or Shiela.

I wish TVIV would stop using a character's real name when the actor isn't really famous. Who the gently caress is Jennifer Hale? And why did seeing her cause a double-take. And why is she credited as Karen's mom. I must have missed the entire scene involving her this episode or I didn't find it as compelling as you guys did.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Shadow posted:

Who the gently caress are you guys talking about? IMDB has this Jennifer Hale person as "Karen's Mom" and the only Karen I know who exists in this show is the one who got knocked up with the Asian down syndrome baby and then run over by Mandy. Karen's mom is Joan Cusack, or Shiela.

I wish TVIV would stop using a character's real name when the actor isn't really famous. Who the gently caress is Jennifer Hale? And why did seeing her cause a double-take. And why is she credited as Karen's mom. I must have missed the entire scene involving her this episode or I didn't find it as compelling as you guys did.

She was the older lady in the dorm hallway that bowled up Lip and instructed him about her daughter's medication regime.

She is listed as Karen's mom because she isn't named and refers to her daughter's name. I understand your sentiment, but in this case, it's understandable why people are referring to the actors name.

She is a fairly famous voice actor hence people double taking when they heard the voice.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Shadow posted:

Video game voice acting stuff. Same reaction a Futurama fan has watching an episode of Married With Children.

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011
Ten minutes in and V's being a real selfish bitch.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

xcore posted:

She was the older lady in the dorm hallway that bowled up Lip and instructed him about her daughter's medication regime.

She is listed as Karen's mom because she isn't named and refers to her daughter's name. I understand your sentiment, but in this case, it's understandable why people are referring to the actors name.

She is a fairly famous voice actor hence people double taking when they heard the voice.

No Wave posted:

Video game voice acting stuff. Same reaction a Futurama fan has watching an episode of Married With Children.

Thanks... at first I thought I was losing it. Then I looked her up in IMDB and that cleared up nothing at all.

New episode on Showtime Anytime now. I just discovered this show recently and marathoned a bunch of it to catch up. Fiona's scenes at this point just make me look at her, judgingly, and saying "can you stop being a complete gently caress up?" Doesn't help that she's Hot As gently caress and guys constantly look past it all. Sean dodged a huge bullet... which I'm sure he'll happily jump in front of before the season's over. His poor kid. :(

I actually love when Jimmy gets Fiona back. They're both hosed up and deserve each other. It's their way of saving 2 others from their dysfunction. Well, the 2 others who'd otherwise get caught in their respective webs plus anyone who cares about those other 2.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
"Easy, Liam. Chubby cheeks are cute only for so long on black men."

Says the mother of the gargantuan autist, Chuckie. That's rich.

I skimmed through this thread and noticed some of ya'll seem to like Chuckie. I'm not one of you. :colbert:

E: V's just joining the many who are Title characters (being shameless)... although that poo poo about "you'll be chasing them when they're 35 years old" was kinda sad. She's absolutely gotta be suffering from PPD. Hopefully she doesn't try to harm them. :(

Shadow fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 2, 2015

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

How you gonna take Thermo II and Mass Transfer without completing Calc II first.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Jack :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

What happened to Lip's credit card number stealing machine.

• Locked thread