Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I continue to be amused by the fact that the team I chose to support purely on the basis of their having cool jumpers and my latent homosexual attraction to SBW turns out to be not only the most hated one out there but also arguably the best.

gently caress y'all haters, Easts to Win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
See, this is why I never got interested in the NFL despite living the USA all my life. Just not exciting enough.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
No, you have it exactly right.

Also I like y'all's accents.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
For a second there I thought you were talking about Sheffield.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Hey here's a dorky question:

Did RL players used to wear shoulderpads, but largely stop doing so at some point? Can anyone tell me when/why that stopped? Was there a significant change in the rules and/or playing style that made it happen?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

MacDougall posted:

Because they are utterly useless.

I was hoping the answer was "in the 90s they started hiring nutritionists and discovered that players could vastly improve their performance if they expanded their diets beyond pies and XXXX and now they're all hulking Greek gods of footy who have no need for puny shoulder padding" but your answer works too.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
That is stupider than a London-based NFL team, which is saying something considering Rugby League is a sport invented and already actually played quite often in England.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Something to look forward to before I pretend to care about the Super Bowl, yay.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I can't believe Smith didn't get ejected when he just straight kicked out at a dude. This is why I hate Wigan.

But that Widnes supporters crowd looked amazing, much respect to the Vikings.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Billy Boston :colbert:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Craig Gower's time with Italy in Union should disqualify him.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Smorgasbord posted:

The kid that Gallen hit high then forearmed in a frigging exhibition game has a spinal injury and is out indefinitely.

WTH is that guy's problem, seriously. it's horse drugs, isn't it

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
This is my list of what I want/expect to see in NRL 2015:

1. Vodafone Warriors of New Zealand Brought to You by Vodafone(TM)
2. Cowboys
3. Bunnies
4. Seagles

5. Storm
6. Easts To Win
7. Penrif
8. Bulldogs

9. Broncos
10. Newcastle (it's better than 12th :v: )
11. Eels
12. Dragons
13. Titans
14. Raiders
15. Sharks
16. Tigers

I'm just glad I remembered all the teams this time without having to look them up, sometimes I forget that the Tigers exist (which I think their opponents do too, sometimes).

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

iajanus posted:

It's just our latest strategy for success - hopefully no other teams will want to tackle us and so we'll score a million tries a game!

As if that would stop a single NRL player. all of them except Will Hopoate already have zillions of STIs, hell, STI is the Dragon's abbrev. anyway

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Oh and BTW here's my half-assed Super League XX prediction:

1. Warrington
2. WIIIIIIIIGAAAAAN :argh:
3. Huddersfield
4. Leeds
5. St Helens
6. Widnes
7. Hull KR
8. Catalans

9. Hull FC
10. Wakefield
11. Salford
12. Castleford :v:
13. Leigh
14. Sheffield
15. Batley
16. Dewsbury
(13-16 made up but Leigh and Sheffield are the only 2 I've ever seen play a game on TV so...)

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Vagabundo posted:

You've listed the Wigan Warriors, Castleford Tigers and Catalans Dragons, not to mention the fact that the London Broncos got relegated to the next level down.

Huh? What do you mean?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

MiniSune posted:

Wendell Sailor is crying.

League stars going to Union haven't had a good run. I'm expecting Folau to be revealed as part of some Mormon Sex Death Cult.

But that would be redundant.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Noope, still want Wigan to lose. I don't think they will, though, I think Brisbane is a 'meh' team and Wigan are very good.

Warrington looked good. Nabuli should have gotten a card for that clothesline tackle, might have made the difference but probably not.

The Marshall-Widdop-Dugan backbone of the Dragons looks very solid now that they've had an entire pre-season to settle players into their positions and gameplan.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Heh, gently caress you, Wigan. What an awful way to give away a try.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Holy poo poo Joe Burgess.

Coming to the Roosters next season :getin:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Matty Smith usually takes drop goals only when Wigan are already 10+ points clear, as sort of a "gently caress you" to the opposition. Intrigued to see how this goes...

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
High tackle, right around the neck. No question it was a penalty, for mine.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
WHAAAAAAT

Chargedown on the penalty goal attempt????

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Really a shame that was penalized.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
They may have won, but at least Wigan lost!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I know it's illegal, I just wish the ref had made an exception for more hilarity.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 21, 2015

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
51 minutes, Souths 30 - 0 St Helens

Just FYI

edit: this is really a hiding, I was not expecting this based on the previous two games but one must remember that St. George-Illawara and Brisbane weren't the 2nd and 3rd place NRL teams.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 22, 2015

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

MiniSune posted:

Probably watch this match on replay as early monday morning is a tough time to watch football.
That was a weird try to watch live , totally missed the the knock down.

Not as tough as it is for St. Helens to play, evidently.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yeah I heard that. I mean, it's not hard to imagine 130kg total bench since I know that in Union, Will Genia (the sometime Wallabies and Reds scrum-half, who is my size i.e. 1.74m and 85kg) can bench 172kg when he's fit, and the Burgesses are large enough to eat him for dinner.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Meanwhile, Jarryd Hayne is on his way to the league plagued with a whole other set of issues.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Next week: Kevin Locke suffers a fate worse than death (playing RU for Scotland)

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I thought it was a bad defensive display from Leeds (again), a shocking referee, as usual, and we should have won much more easily than we did.

Yeah, right at the 79:15 mark the Giants got a massive breakaway that Leeds simply did not look prepared to defend, which almost cost the game. Leeds have so much talent and drive, they just need to focus on doing the basic stuff right. Like staying flat and tight on defense.

McDermott's interview at the end--especially his comments on Huddersfield's play style and the refereeing--was all kinds of :stare:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

bowmore posted:

if you wiped your rear end with your hands every year and then discovered wet wipes and toilet paper would you keep using your hands?

Well if you're Todd Carney...

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Didn't see this posted yet:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000475963/article/australian-rugby-star-jarryd-hayne-signs-with-49ers

NFL.com posted:

He had initially crossed them off his list, but on Monday, Jarryd Hayne chose the San Francisco 49ers.

The Australian rugby star announced his signing, adding that the Niners had beaten out the Seattle Seahawks and Detroit Lions, the Mercury News reported.

Hayne has been preparing for the decision since October, when he quit the sport -- a "bombshell" move in the rugby world -- to focus on pursuing an opportunity in the NFL. He has twice been named the best player in the National Rugby League, and at 6-foot-2 and 226 pounds, ran a 4.53 40-yard dash in a December workout.

The 27-year-old spent time visiting the Seattle Seahawks and consulted with current free agent running back Reggie Bush in 2014. He was rumored to be close to signing with Bush's former team, the Lions, last week before announcing his decision to join San Francisco.

Hayne met 49ers coach Jim Tomsula in December, but initially eliminated the team due to the uncertainty surrounding former head coach Jim Harbaugh's job status. After Harbaugh departed for Michigan, Hayne was back on board with the Niners.

The pairing isn't by mere coincidence -- Tomsula has experience with international players, having spent several years coaching in NFL Europe and ascending to head coach of the Rhein Fire in 2006.

Hayne is guaranteed $100,000 in his deal with the 49ers, and acknowledged his transition from rugby to football isn't exactly a safe move.

"This is a huge risk," Hayne said. "I'm taking a massive leap of faith."

Hayne will compete for a spot as a return man and running back. Even if Frank Gore's time in San Francisco is finished, Hayne will have decent competition in a Niners backfield that includes Carlos Hyde and Alfonso Smith.

Would love to see him play a game this fall, it might even convince me to watch NFL (which has been shoved down my throat since I was like 2 and which I've never managed to care about)

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 3, 2015

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Just made it official: I am now a member of the Eastern Suburbs District Rugby League Football Club

:getin:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

iajanus posted:

gently caress off and die.

I mean, well done for supporting your team and being a real fan. You're doing the right thing and more people should do the same.

Also, gently caress off.

Also, die.

Thanks?

Maybe if I actually lived in Australia I'd support a non-shitheel club, but that's a big if.

My buddy from Australia is from Bondi and has always been a Tigers fan, I guess because he hates his life.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Wow, what a fun weekend for Rugby League!

I baked and then ate my first meat pie, it was very tasty. Almost choked on it when the ref put that clothesline tackle in the Tigers/Titans game on report instead of using the bin. JFC what do you have to do to get 10 minutes out in this sport?

Also, stckyfngrdboy, what do you think McDermott said to the Rhinos at halftime?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Ha, yeah, that sounds about right.

Honestly it looked like two completely different teams that just happened to be wearing the same strip. The second half performance was fast, precise, and above all supremely confident; in other words, they played like Leeds.

Also Rob Burrow is my hero, I hope he has a good season this year.

EDIT also the Roosters owned bones, Michael Jennings is basically a laser in human form.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 9, 2015

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Sometimes he is, sometimes he's an idiot who makes stupid decisions on the field as well as off.

I don't think Mitchell Pearce would have won Origin last year, but maybe this year?

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Warrington vs Widnes (not on TV), fans have thrown a flare onto the pitch causing the ref to take the players off the pitch for six minutes. Assuming it's Vikings fans but maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully no trouble will start because of it.

Hull Derby has started well.

You know, we've already seen the World Club Series contested by the players, but I want to see the Super League Fans vs National Rugby League Fans challenge. I have a feeling both sides could come up with some creative shenanigans.

• Locked thread