Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is it even still worth building the pipeline given how low gas prices are now

Saw a published piece today that said lower prices only made it more important to build. Please follow that logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Feral_Shofixti posted:

Kindly take Virginia off your map, tyia

we must never lose the sacred homeland of Our Values

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Barudak posted:

Saw a published piece today that said lower prices only made it more important to build. Please follow that logic.

Push it down to $.00000000000000000000000000000000000000001/barrel, baby! :homebrew:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Barudak posted:

I refer you to this excellent scholarly article:

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Keystone XL has already halved gas prices and it hasn't even been built yet. Obviously we need to get it built sooner.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Pegged Lamb posted:

if keystone xl isnt built right now america will die. were running out of time

you have to tell us where the pipeline plans are TELL US WHERE THEY ARE NOW WE DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
gently caress keystone :colbert:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Chokes McGee posted:

you have to tell us where the pipeline plans are TELL US WHERE THEY ARE NOW WE DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS

He's not cooperating! Thank Jesus we have these enhanced interrogation techniques for use by brave super-patriots!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Please build the pipeline mr obama im worried about america. :911:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Just realize I could have written Santa about this for Christmas if only I had known WHY DIDN'T YOU POST THIS SOONER OP!?!?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i am not american but i know this pipeline is important. build up this pipeline mr obama!

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Obama please lay some fat pipe.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bob James posted:

Obama please lay some fat pipe.

Keystone XXXL

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
I think we should hold off. I heard some European countries that already had Keystone XLs got to upgrade to limited edition New Keystones, so I'm pretty sure we'll be able to get regular New Keystones here in a few months.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Ernie Muppari posted:

I think we should hold off. I heard some European countries that already had Keystone XLs got to upgrade to limited edition New Keystones, so I'm pretty sure we'll be able to get regular New Keystones here in a few months.

I'm on board with Keystone XL but what about Keystone Light, for those of us who want a smoother, less dense Keystone?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

420DD Butts posted:

I'm on board with Keystone XL but what about Keystone Light, for those of us who want a smoother, less dense Keystone?

We need to build the pipeline to help demonstrate a demand for the entire family of Keystone products.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

KEYSTONE
The stone placed in the center of an arch which preserves the others in their places, and secures firmness and stability to the arch. As it was formerly the custom of Operative Masons to place a peculiar mark on each stone of a building to designate the workman by whom it had been adjusted, so the Keystone was most likely to receive the most prominent mark, that of the Superintendent of the structure. Such is related to have occurred to that Keystone which plays so important a part in the legend of the Royal Arch Degree.

Guys i'm a bit worried about this keystone now, what if its a Masonic plot to introduce communism into our precious bodily fluids,

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Isn't XL on the back burner for them with the oil price collapse?

That would require the Harper Government thinking twice about one aspect of their current platform. To change that now would be crazy!

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Helsing posted:

Harper has never been a businessman. He's been on the Canadian equivalent of wingnut welfare ever since he graduated from university. First he was an assistant to Preston Manning, who is kind of like the Canadian equivalent of Newt Gingrich (not a perfect comparison but basically he's the early 1990s guy who really pushed neoconservatism in the legislature). Then he was an MP for the Reform Party (Manning's political party, imagine a Canadian version of the Tea Party that destroyed and then absorbed the Republicans over the course of a decade). Then after a term as an MP Harper worked for the National Citizens Coalition, which is basically the Canadian equivalent of the Heritage Foundation. And then became the leader of the newly formed Conservative party, go re-elected as an MP, and went on to become Prime Minister in 2006. He hasn't spent any extended amount of time in the private sector during his adult life, he's always either drawn a salary from a corporate funded think tank or from the government.

The best explanation I can give for Harper is this. Whereas Americans want their conservatives leaders to be folksy southerners or genial Hollywood actors who seem unpretentious and who project a sort of hilariously overcompensating faux masculinity, Canadians seem to prefer a conservative who looks like a Wal Mart manager, talks like an accountant and has the eyes of a child rapist. I don't particularly know why Americans want their neoliberal medicine administer by a fake populist and Canadians want it to come from a robotic accountant but there you have it.

It sounds like you just described Paul Ryan, P90X notwithstanding.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

You know I'm surprised more of the american left isn't in favor of the pipeline. It would lower the cost of Alberta Tar Sands Oil which, while messy, is utterly destroying a portion of the planet no one lives on. It also really is safer to move the oil via a pipeline than through trains.

By not going with the pipeline, it guarantees an age of relentless fracking throughout the United States AND more trainloads of oil coming down from Alberta, making mini spills all along the way.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

420DD Butts posted:

Oh, Keystone XL, you're so smooth. :allears:

Please, someone else get this reference so I don't look like a cretin

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

It sounds like you just described Paul Ryan, P90X notwithstanding.

They have the same dead, soulless eyes, have Paul Ryan gain a lot of body fat and age 20 years and they'll probably look identical

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Shadoer posted:

You know I'm surprised more of the american left isn't in favor of the pipeline. It would lower the cost of Alberta Tar Sands Oil which, while messy, is utterly destroying a portion of the planet no one lives on. It also really is safer to move the oil via a pipeline than through trains.

By not going with the pipeline, it guarantees an age of relentless fracking throughout the United States AND more trainloads of oil coming down from Alberta, making mini spills all along the way.

Because principles are more important than results

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

We have to do Keystone-XL because if there is an opportunity to take Indian Lands in violation of a treaty, America is obligated to do it.

On the safety question, I think this forbes article is the best at delineating the confusing statistics:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2014/04/26/pick-your-poison-for-crude-pipeline-rail-truck-or-boat/ posted:

The short answer is: truck worse than train worse than pipeline worse than boat (Oilprice.com). But that’s only for human death and property destruction. For the normalized amount of oil spilled, it’s truck worse than pipeline worse than rail worse than boat (Congressional Research Service). Different yet again is for environmental impact (dominated by impact to aquatic habitat), where it’s boat worse than pipeline worse than truck worse than rail.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Oil prices won't stay low for the ~50 year lifespan of the pipeline. If anything it's better to build now while energy is cheap, then reap the benefits when oil prices climb back up.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'm against the Keystone pipeline simply because the energy industry needs to be told that just because they want something, doesn't mean America should bend over for them.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I hope they don't build that pipeline.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

They have the same dead, soulless eyes, have Paul Ryan gain a lot of body fat and age 20 years and they'll probably look identical

From

to

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
From what I understand most objections to the pipeline aren't to it's existence so much as where they want to build it would put major aquifers at risk.

Of course it's become part of the rhetoric now so the facts don't really matter much in any case.

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014
I hope they build a pipeline that feeds yoo-hoo's to Canada

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Keystone XL gives you

ooooooooo

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

420DD Butts posted:

Keystone light for that super light sweet WTI crude that'll make Brent jealous.

Count Canuckula posted:

I hope they build a pipeline that feeds yoo-hoo's to Canada
In return I want a maple syrup pipeline going straight to Chicago.

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

Acquilae posted:

In return I want a maple syrup pipeline going straight to Chicago.

I think this is going to be the start of a thick gooey friendship.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
America and Canada are going to pump their respective fluids all over each other, it's going to be beautiful.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

I'm against the Keystone pipeline simply because the energy industry needs to be told that just because they want something, doesn't mean America should bend over for them.

Keystone pipeline was already built, sorry.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Really guys, in this day and age I think if we don't give specific companies exemptions from laws they don't like, what will America become?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

paragon1 posted:

From what I understand most objections to the pipeline aren't to it's existence so much as where they want to build it would put major aquifers at risk.

Of course it's become part of the rhetoric now so the facts don't really matter much in any case.

Many pipelines already cross that Aquifer

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Really, at this point I oppose Keystone XL on principle. It has become a representation of the future of US energy policy - either more of the same or a shift to expand alternative energy sources. Eventually you have to pick a hill to die on, might as well be this one.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Rygar201 posted:

Many pipelines already cross that Aquifer

Don't they carry a less dangerous substance or something though?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Miltank posted:

Don't they carry a less dangerous substance or something though?

Yeah. It's pick your poison basically. Are you worried more about dirtier oil over an Aquifer or oil train derailments levelling towns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

420DD Butts posted:

Really, at this point I oppose Keystone XL on principle. It has become a representation of the future of US energy policy - either more of the same or a shift to expand alternative energy sources. Eventually you have to pick a hill to die on, might as well be this one.

You realize that this only requires federal approval because it's international right? Tons of pipelines are being built to transport the same stuff across the same areas that are domestic. This is an incredibly stupid fight to put up.

• Locked thread