Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

Second spill in 4 years, out of literally thousands of pipelines. So that particular piepline needs to be replaced. This has no bearing on Keystone XL.

A spill could happen. It's a ton less likely then that a truck or fully loaded trainset spills, or than oil being spilled at a transloading facility from storage to truck or rail. The obsessive fixation that Specifically Keystone XL Phase 4 will be the one that spills sounds ludicrous.

Keystone isn't a problem from the start. If you don't want to use tar sands, then go ahead and invent your magic battery tech or get nuclear power plants built, or hand out free electric cars yourself.

C'mon man, toxx yourself. You are so sure about the Earth saving qualities of Keystone, throw down the gauntlet. That pipe that spilled crossed really only one major river, and its spilled twice. Keystone crosses at least 5 major waterways that are ecologically important.

Nintendo Kid posted:

A spill could happen. It's a ton less likely then that a truck or fully loaded trainset spills, or than oil being spilled at a transloading facility from storage to truck or rail.

See. here's the thing: oil spills at loading docks is prepared for: Sealed concrete, spill containment zones, these are prepared systems. While there has been a few record train spills, most of them don't dump right into a major river.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Keystone isn't a problem from the start. If you don't want to use tar sands, then go ahead and invent your magic battery tech or get nuclear power plants built, or hand out free electric cars yourself.

Man, if only Citizens United and a massive Oil Lobby that spent their time pushing Keystone through wasn't a thing....

Nintendo Kid posted:

Which is again utterly irrelevant. Like I said, you're the guy saying "no one should buy Citroens!" because "ford pintos explode".

How about you stop waving around the auto analogy? You think its great, but its really not working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Notice that even the trolls can't come up with good reasons to give Keystone a free pass through the regulatory process, they can only try and pretend that risk analysis isn't a thing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hobbesmaster posted:

Nobody cares about trains other than fishmech.

http://www.autismspeaks.org/blog/2014/09/12/what-it-about-autism-and-trains

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Nintendo Kid posted:

Because his article means jack and squat about a completely different pipeline with completely different people involved. The vast majority of pipelines don't leak, and of the ones that develop leaks it rarely leads to 50,000 gallons dumped in a river.

Citroens were completely different designs of cars from the Pinto, indeed even most Fords of the day were completely different designs. That's the point. You can't say that since one car has a fatal design flaw, all cars have it, just like you can't say that since one pipe leaked in an area somewhat close by to a few miles of a potential pipeline, that potential pipeline must leak.

again, source? cause according to articles like these, the sensors on the vast majority of pipelines today detect only 20% of reported leaks. considering how much pipe goes through low population areas, i'd be surprised if there isn't a large number of unreported leaks on these pipelines (either noticed by the company and not reported, or unnoticed).

also, you keep comparing the yellowstone leak to a fatal design flaw, but was the yellowstone pipeline fatally flawed? you haven't shown any evidence of that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Condiv posted:

again, source? cause according to articles like these, the sensors on the vast majority of pipelines today detect only 20% of reported leaks. considering how much pipe goes through low population areas, i'd be surprised if there isn't a large number of unreported leaks on these pipelines (either noticed by the company and not reported, or unnoticed).

also, you keep comparing the yellowstone leak to a fatal design flaw, but was the yellowstone pipeline fatally flawed? you haven't shown any evidence of that.

Well, you see, The Ford Pinto blah blah blah.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Am I correct in understanding that right now, the Canadians have to dump their horrible tar-sands oil on refineries in the midwest, thus keeping prices down on refined products, and employing refinery workers, truckers, and environmental clean-up crews here, where I live?
If we complete Keystone XL, then they run the oil all the way down to the gulf coast, refine it in Texas, or ship crude wherever the prices are high. Driving prices up, and idling refineries here, where I live?

Why, as a redblooded American, do I want Canadians to be able to sell their oil on a global market at a premium? Rather than holding them hostage at the current end of their pipeline?

If I owned some land in Nebraska along the way, or if I were getting paid very nicely to want that, then fine. But I don't own land in Nebraska, and I don't get paid to want this. So, why do I want this, again?

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 19, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slo-Tek posted:

If I owned some land in Nebraska along the way, or if I were getting paid very nicely to want that, then fine. But I don't own land in Nebraska, and I don't get paid to want this. So, why do I want this, again?

There is really only one group that 'benefits' from the pipeline.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I would approve the Keystone pipeline as long as it is sponsored by Keystone light.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Slo-Tek posted:

Am I correct in understanding that right now, the Canadians have to dump their horrible tar-sands oil on refineries in the midwest, thus keeping prices down on refined products, and employing refinery workers, truckers, and environmental clean-up crews here, where I live?
If we complete Keystone XL, then they run the oil all the way down to the gulf coast, refine it in Texas, or ship crude wherever the prices are high. Driving prices up, and idling refineries here, where I live?

Why, as a redblooded American, do I want Canadians to be able to sell their oil on a global market at a premium? Rather than holding them hostage at the current end of their pipeline?

So we can defeat the Communists Islamic Jihadis.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

There is really only one group that 'benefits' from the pipeline.

The folks along the pipeline path benefited greatly. Have family friends who had their property purchased at 4x market price, so I think the pipeline has done some great things for individuals along its path.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm willing to bet a major aquifer on the pipeline never spilling, but I won't bet my account on it with a toxx, too risky.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

I'm willing to bet a major aquifer on the pipeline never spilling, but I won't bet my account on it with a toxx, too risky.

You aren't really betting the Ogallala aquifer, you're betting against a massive famine that would kill tens of thousands (almost all non-americans, though since we'll just pay to import food) and essentially destroying the midwest economy for the better part of a generation. Saying that you are just betting the aquifer doesn't really sufficiently explain the total cost of a large spill from the XL pipeline. Since there is no way the people in the federal government pushing this will want to step up and deal with 3-4 bankrupted state governments, horrific cleanup costs, and the massive lawsuits to follow I'm curious why the hell anyone thinks this is a good idea.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Anubis posted:

You aren't really betting the Ogallala aquifer, you're betting against a massive famine that would kill tens of thousands (almost all non-americans, though since we'll just pay to import food) and essentially destroy the midwest economy for the better part of a generation. Since there is no way the people in the federal government pushing this will want to step up and deal with 3-4 bankrupted state governments, horrific cleanup costs, and the massive lawsuits to follow I'm curious why the hell anyone thinks this is a good idea.

I thought they already bet the farm on that via poorly regulated fracking?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

If this is being built in the US shouldn't it be Keystone XXXXL?

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

BigPaddy posted:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

How about this, in exchange for approval, the CEO and every person on the board of directors agrees to personal liability for any cleanup costs of an amount up to the total compensation (including salary, stock options, bonuses, etc) they receive during operation of the pipeline.

None of this Freedom Industries "oops I just poisoned half of West Virginia, but oh golly the company's bankrupt now that I moved all the money out, good luck" horseshit.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

VitalSigns posted:

How about this, in exchange for approval, the CEO and every person on the board of directors agrees to personal liability for any cleanup costs of an amount up to the total compensation (including salary, stock options, bonuses, etc) they receive during operation of the pipeline.

None of this Freedom Industries "oops I just poisoned half of West Virginia, but oh golly the company's bankrupt now that I moved all the money out, good luck" horseshit.

Personal responsibility is not a conservative value VitalSigns.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Slo-Tek posted:

Because Canada will ultimately be annexed by America anyway, so it's in our best interest for them to be rich, as opposed to poor like Mexico.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BigPaddy posted:

:vince:

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

Slo-Tek posted:

Infrastructure is pretty much at capacity right now and the oil sands are nowhere close to it's potential output. You'd have to build more pipelines and/or get more rail cars to benefit from the Keystone XL dropping out.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

C'mon man, toxx yourself. You are so sure about the Earth saving qualities of Keystone, throw down the gauntlet. That pipe that spilled crossed really only one major river, and its spilled twice. Keystone crosses at least 5 major waterways that are ecologically important.

See. here's the thing: oil spills at loading docks is prepared for: Sealed concrete, spill containment zones, these are prepared systems. While there has been a few record train spills, most of them don't dump right into a major river.

Man, if only Citizens United and a massive Oil Lobby that spent their time pushing Keystone through wasn't a thing....

How about you stop waving around the auto analogy? You think its great, but its really not working.

You haven't toxxed first, kid.

I can't believe in one breath you claim oil companies can't be trusted to do pipelines right, then the next you claim "oh their loading docks are always 100% safe and never near anything important, and also their contracted railroads and truckers always do it right". Can't have it both ways,

That has nothing to do with anything.

How about you stop being an idiot who keeps doing the exact logical error the analogy's about?

Trabisnikof posted:

Notice that even the trolls can't come up with good reasons to give Keystone a free pass through the regulatory process, they can only try and pretend that risk analysis isn't a thing.

Because nobody said that, genius.

Condiv posted:

Where's your source that most pipelines are leaking buddy? Oh that's right, nowhere.

Where's your source that Keystone IS?

Slo-Tek posted:

No, Keystone Phase 2 and 3 connecting to Texas and Oklahoma are already in service. There are also several other pipeline systems for Canada to Texas. The XL aka Phase 4 project is a secondary leg of the system from Canada, which also picks up oil in Montana.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

You haven't toxxed first, kid.

I can't believe in one breath you claim oil companies can't be trusted to do pipelines right, then the next you claim "oh their loading docks are always 100% safe and never near anything important, and also their contracted railroads and truckers always do it right". Can't have it both ways,

:allears: Because at least the oil is spilling on their own land, say, versus a National Forest and its rivers.

The keystone pipeline is for ONE reason: To make it cheaper for oil companies to produce shale oil. Its not about 'safety'. Its not about 'jobs', its about cutting out the middle man in oil production that eats into their profits: Railroads and Road Transport.

Seriously, if you think this is going to be some safe, well maintained and funded program, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Check out this pretty loving huge list of leaks that is JUST Natural Gas and Oil pipe leaks in JUST the 21st Century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pipeline_accidents_in_the_United_States_in_the_21st_century. Conoco Philips is involved in at least 4 spills.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 20, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BigPaddy posted:

Only if it carries bacon-infused ranch dressing and has a sculpture of Honey Boo Boo at the terminal end riding it like Slim Pickens on the bomb.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

:allears: Because at least the oil is spilling on their own land, say, versus a National Forest and its rivers.

The keystone pipeline is for ONE reason: To make it cheaper for oil companies to produce shale oil. Its not about 'safety'. Its not about 'jobs', its about cutting out the middle man in oil production that eats into their profits: Railroads and Road Transport.

Seriously, if you think this is going to be some safe, well maintained and funded program, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Check out this pretty loving huge list of leaks that is JUST Natural Gas and Oil pipe leaks in JUST the 21st Century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pipeline_accidents_in_the_United_States_in_the_21st_century. Conoco Philips is involved in at least 4 spills.

So you're saying all land vaguely near an oil company is Theirs, and there's no rivers or national forests near any depots, or roads, or railroads? That's an interesting worldview.

No. That was the first keystone pipeline phase and the 12 other pipelines out of Canada's Texas. XL is for an alternate route.

If you think oil company run trucks and railroads are going to be cheaper, I have this lovely former canal outside of Niagara Falls to sell you.

Nice list, it doesn't mean jackshit. We don't have lists of all the truck and train spills because they happen too often to count.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
Today, Fishmech has taught me that it is wrong to consider any possible consequences for my actions. I should have listened to my 6 year old nephew when he made the same appeal!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

If you think oil company run trucks and railroads are going to be cheaper, I have this lovely former canal outside of Niagara Falls to sell you.

Wow, the point went right over your head. Not surprising.

Fishmech: The Oil Lobbyist

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

Because nobody said that, genius.

Its impressive your willingness to argue about a topic you don't even understand.

Well, in the same way someone constantly shoving a door labeled "pull" is impressive.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

archangelwar posted:

Today, Fishmech has taught me that it is wrong to consider any possible consequences for my actions

Well sure, if you're too stupid to consider the consequences of the other options, it doesn't make sense to consider only the consequences of a single option, genius.

CommieGIR posted:

Wow, the point went right over your head. Not surprising.

Fishmech: The Oil Lobbyist

Your point is "me scared of pipes". Period.

Trabisnikof posted:

Its impressive your willingness to argue about a topic you don't even understand.

Kindly cite where anyone in this thread said "no pipelines should be subject to any regulations".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

Your point is "me scared of pipes". Period.

Yeah. That is why I oppose it. Ya got me.

Do you actually make good faith arguments or do you just make snarky poorly thought out responses to valid concerns about the Oil Industry and the loving mess they are making of our environment?

Nintendo Kid posted:

Kindly cite where anyone in this thread said "no pipelines should be subject to any regulations".

Republicans.

Oh, you meant in this thread.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

I was unaware this was the "pipeline regulation megathread" and not the keystone xl thread. Someone should do a thread title change.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah. That is why I oppose it. Ya got me.

Do you actually make good faith arguments or do you just make snarky poorly thought out responses to valid concerns about the Oil Industry and the loving mess they are making of our environment?

You haven't made a good faith argument on Keystone XL in months.

Trabisnikof posted:

I was unaware this was the "pipeline regulation megathread" and not the keystone xl thread. Someone should do a thread title change.

Where did you see anyone in this thread saying Keystone XL in particular should have no regulations?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

Where did you see anyone in this thread saying Keystone XL in particular should have no regulations?

quote:

The Final Supplemental
Environmental Impact Statement issued by the Secretary of State in
January 2014, regarding the pipeline referred to in subsection (a), and
the environmental analysis, consultation, and review described in that
document (including appendices) shall be considered to fully satisfy--
(1) all requirements of the National Environmental Policy
Act of 1969 (42 U.S.C. 4321 et seq.); and
(2) any other provision of law that requires Federal agency
consultation or review (including the consultation or review
required under section 7(a) of the Endangered Species Act of
1973 (16 U.S.C. 1536(a))) with respect to the pipeline and
facilities referred to in subsection (a).

You can bicker with people about who said what when in this thread, meanwhile you avoid actually making an argument in favor of the bill in question.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Hal_2005 posted:

Your really covering your rear end trying to argue something you don't know anything about, and are too lazy to google. Which is where I step out, and you get to listen to an echo chamber.

This is the second time you said you'd step out. These HENRYs are so sensitive!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

So? Its Conoco Phillips? Oh, I guess that gives them a free out, obviously they'll be MUCH more careful.

What Phillips pipeline? We're talking about Bridger's Poplar system, right? A small(ish) diameter intrastate transmission system subject only to state regulation? What does that have to do with a deep, large diameter international PHMSA regulated line?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

What Phillips pipeline? We're talking about Bridger's Poplar system, right? A small(ish) diameter intrastate transmission system subject only to state regulation? What does that have to do with a deep, large diameter international PHMSA regulated line?

quote:

The Final Supplemental
Environmental Impact Statement issued by the Secretary of State in
January 2014, regarding the pipeline referred to in subsection (a), and
the environmental analysis, consultation, and review described in that
document (including appendices) shall be considered to fully satisfy--
(1) all requirements of the National Environmental Policy
Act of 1969 (42 U.S.C. 4321 et seq.); and
(2) any other provision of law that requires Federal agency
consultation or review
(including the consultation or review
required under section 7(a) of the Endangered Species Act of
1973 (16 U.S.C. 1536(a))) with respect to the pipeline and
facilities referred to in subsection (a).

So yes, Keystone will be a PHMSA regulated line, if Obama gets his way.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The pipeline will increase production from the tar sands. Right now, transport via truck and rail is a good thing in at least that sense, because it acts as a limiting factor on production. If you were to transport totally equivalent amounts of product through truck and rail as you would through a pipeline, then there would be a rational argument for using the pipeline. Pipelines are, per unit volume of generic oil, safer.

That is not what is happening.

This is not even opening up the whole can of worms regarding the differences between pipeline vs. truck/rail routes, and the environmental impact of numerous near-certain small events (truck/rail) vs. few rare large events (pipeline).

I am incredibly confused that someone would continue to argue like this thing is meant to be a one-for-one replacement of a bunch of trains, but, fishmech.

I think it was back in the USPol thread that I asked pro-Keystone people to actually spew out some numbers — or at least find somebody who has — on net environmental impact, but of course, that was ignored because it requires both effort and rational thought.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Trabisnikof posted:

You can bicker with people about who said what when in this thread, meanwhile you avoid actually making an argument in favor of the bill in question.

So then why did you make your original post, other than your blind idiocy about anything pipeline related?

You didn't even cite anything related to no regulations!

hobbesmaster posted:

But they're both pipes! With oil!

disheveled posted:

I am incredibly confused that someone would continue to argue like this thing is meant to be a one-for-one replacement of a bunch of trains, but, fishmech.

It is literally why pipelines exist, because they are cheaper and easier to maintain for long-distance transport than trucks and trains, and even than tankers when you can afford it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Looks like the poplar system is interstate even if that line in intrastate so PHMSA is inspecting their procedures. They weren't happy. At all.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Looks like the poplar system is interstate even if that line in intrastate so PHMSA is inspecting their procedures. They weren't happy. At all.

They might get fined....$3 Million dollars!

still better than labor fines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
As a stakeholder in the American rail industry I strongly oppose this pipeline.

• Locked thread