Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Brony Hunter posted:

:munch:I was trying to be positive to the newbie, but yeah Baltar sucks and I have no idea why so many people pick him :v: :munch:

:allears: Because it beats dying of cancer :v:

Hands should be up to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Max Peck posted:

:allears: Because it beats dying of cancer :v:

Hands should be up to date.

Dying of cancer is totally worth it, because I am high as a kite and my hallucinations are awesome.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I have no idea what to do as Chief when going first. Ah, gently caress it.

##play POL-2 Consolidate Power, draw 2 TAC

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Brony Hunter posted:

:munch:I was trying to be positive to the newbie, but yeah Baltar sucks and I have no idea why so many people pick him :v: :munch:

I picked him because in the miniseries he seemed like a dick and an interesting character :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tac is good because it's used a lot in Skill Checks, and Strategic Planning is a really good card.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
:munch: Thank you for the advice for my game, PMush! :munch:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm Mafia Dadding... except this is neither Mafia, nor am I the right gender to 'dad' anyone, so... :shrug:?

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
:munch: I was being sincere! We're both Chief and I'm a clueless newbie. :munch:

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

I have no idea what to do as Chief when going first.

Well, for my part I'd recommend bracing for the incoming Cylon attack.

What do you mean, "what attack?"

Crisis!

Heavy Assault

Activate Raiders: the 3 raiders in sector 1 move to sector 2.

Setup: One viper in sector 6. One civilian ship each in sectors 4, 5, and 6.

Poison Mushroom, the CAC is trying to place more basestars than are available; please choose whether to place a basestar in sector 1 or sector 2.

Heavy Bombardment: Each basestar immediately attacks Galactica.

Basestar 1 attacks Galactica: 5. FTL Control damaged!
Basestar 2 attacks Galactica: 5. Command damaged! Admiral Tigh is sent to Sickbay.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
:munch: Nothing like a good ol' Turn 1 Cylon Attack to ease in the newbies :munch:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Max Peck posted:

Basestar 1 attacks Galactica: 5. FTL Control damaged!
Basestar 2 attacks Galactica: 5. Command damaged! Admiral Tigh is sent to Sickbay.

Oh god, I've missed this game. :allears:

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

:allears:

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

Hey, at least now there's something to do!

Turn 1.2: Baltar (Fathis Munk) is the Current Player.

This image does not include the basestar that Poison Mushroom will need to place in either sector 1 or sector 2.

Baltar (Fathis Munk) draws 2 POL, 1 LEA, 1 ENG.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dumb rules question: If I put the other basestar in Sector 1, would a high-rolling nuke take out both of them?

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

Not in the base game; it's only the nukes that are used with the Exodus CFB stuff that would do that.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

There's literally no difference in the base game is there?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

drat. Still gonna ##place Basestar in Sector 1, on the off chance that the nuke takes out more launched Raiders, and to keep them a bit farther away from the bulk of our civilian ships.

It's honestly been a while, so I've forgotten a lot of the minutia. I'm trusting Numbers to yell at me if I'm about to do something really stupid, though.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm gonna have to use a nuke on my first turn right?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm trusting Numbers to yell at me if I'm about to do something really stupid, though.

Nah, you did what I would have done.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

Mills posted:

There's literally no difference in the base game is there?

It affects where raiders come out for a Launch Raiders icon and where heavy raiders come out for an Activate Heavy Raiders icon (since there are no heavies on the board currently).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

I'm gonna have to use a nuke on my first turn right?
It's definitely not the worst idea in the world. We get another Basestars Fire crisis before we take one out, and they roll well, we're proper hosed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ha. I just realized that this game basically started us in medias res. It's the second turn of the first round, and already there's poo poo going down.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Oh my.

Uh. Command sounds important, especially since we're under attack.

So I'm going to move to command and use my repair card to fix it up again :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fathis Munk posted:

Oh my.

Uh. Command sounds important, especially since we're under attack.

So I'm going to move to command and use my repair card to fix it up again :v:
It might be better to let me repair it, and maybe hop on the guns if you think we can wait a whole go-around before using it again. Repairing stuff is kind of my thing.

As a bonus, anyone who trusts you can drop an XO on you and you can shoot twice.

SN, verdict?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Why is Command more important than FTL?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Note for the future: I am half actually-dumb and half playing-dumb-so-the-newbies-learn-our-thought-processes. When in doubt, though, assume the former.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Poison Mushroom posted:

It might be better to let me repair it, and maybe hop on the guns if you think we can wait a whole go-around before using it again. Repairing stuff is kind of my thing.

As a bonus, anyone who trusts you can drop an XO on you and you can shoot twice.

SN, verdict?

Oh right your character's skill is focused on repairing :downs:

I guess I could move to weapon control and shoot at a raider ?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Some Numbers posted:

Why is Command more important than FTL?

I dunno, I figured we'd be able to use vipers to defend ourselves :shrug:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Basestars only fire at Galactica and there's only 3 Raiders.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

For what it's worth, in-thread actions that you're committing to should be bold (or say "bold" or "phoneposting" or something if you're phoneposting and proper bolding is annoying). Since you all seem to be discussing a bit, though, it's just as well it wasn't :v:

Fathis Munk posted:

I dunno, I figured we'd be able to use vipers to defend ourselves :shrug:

Vipers aren't really that effective against basestars--it takes a roll of 8 on a d8 for a viper to damage a basestar, and in the meantime the basestars won't be distracted by the vipers. I think SN is suggesting he'd rather be in a position to jump away from this threat ASAP?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Fathis Munk posted:

I guess I could move to weapon control and shoot at a raider ?

Oh wait with the galactica I actually have a decent chance at hurting the basestar too.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Max Peck posted:

Vipers aren't really that effective against basestars--it takes a roll of 8 on a d8 for a viper to damage a basestar, and in the meantime the basestars won't be distracted by the vipers. I think SN is suggesting he'd rather be in a position to jump away from this threat ASAP?

Yeah I just realised that I did not consider combat correctly at all.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Just to be clear, Mills, Mush and I have played this game. The other two players have not, yes?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I have, irl, something like twice or three times. I know some things about how to play the game, but don't have a great feel for what's an actual good move.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
The FTL is still going to charge up even if it's damaged right ? So maybe I should go and take some potshots at the Basestar since we're not ready for a jump right now anyways.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Fathis Munk posted:

The FTL is still going to charge up even if it's damaged right ? So maybe I should go and take some potshots at the Basestar since we're not ready for a jump right now anyways.

Ah poo poo only PMush and I can fix things up on our turn since only we two can draw repair cards right ?

Is there a significant chance of us being ready to jump before it's PMush's turn again ? If so I guess I'll fix FTL, else I'll shoot the basestar.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I almost want to play a variant where the fleet doesn't gain Jump Prep while FTL is damaged. It would make the game a lot more interesting.

To actually respond, yes, our FTL drives will still spin up while FTL is damaged, but there are two Basestars that have a more than 50% chance of hitting us. The best way to destroy Basestars is to jump away from them, so I'd like to be able to jump before they blast us to smithereens.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Fathis Munk posted:

Is there a significant chance of us being ready to jump before it's PMush's turn again ? If so I guess I'll fix FTL, else I'll shoot the basestar.

It is definitely possible that we'll be ready to jump before Poison's turn. I think the ratio of Jump Prep is 40/70 in the base game.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
How many turns do you think it'll take us to be ready to jump ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Some Numbers posted:

It is definitely possible that we'll be ready to jump before Poison's turn. I think the ratio of Jump Prep is 40/70 in the base game.

Welp answered my question. Alright, let's try getting FTL back online.

I don't know if there is any syntax to respect but ## Move to FTL, play ENG-1 Repair

• Locked thread