Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Iamblikhos posted:

I know everyone always says it, but I was unironically half-expecting goatse. I mean, why else make a thread like this?

To enlighten everyone on a chill Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

HJB posted:

Then you really should have opened it by discussing the concept of Rota Fortunae:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

HJB posted:

what god are you into i want to fuxxx with it

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

HJB posted:

Maybe there's a luck dragon like in Never-ending Story.

Hail Falcore

pop fly to McGillicutty fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 11, 2015

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

have you even just constructed your own personal shrine to luck where you bear offerings to luck in service to it?

Uhhhhmmmmmmmm......

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
it's funny how people make fun of religious people for being sexually repressed, yet atheists are almost always virgins

at least religious people are often virgins by choice

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

Uhhhhmmmmmmmm......

this is something Shinto worshipers do, not atheists. technically it's not even the same 'luck' referenced because luck is anthropomorphized whereas when the wind blows your winning lottery ticket out of your hand and you utter "just my luck" you aren't.

e: hence why the OP is wrong and dumb

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 11, 2015

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Cnut the Great posted:

it's funny how people make fun of religious people for being sexually repressed, yet atheists are almost always virgins

at least religious people are often virgins by choice
its funny how out of all religions christians have been the smallest average penis sizes after hindus

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Iamblikhos posted:

Then you really should have opened it by discussing the concept of Rota Fortunae:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66gmYLtJJuc

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

how me a frog posted:

Luck is the result of very specific observable circumstances. Also has nothing to do with what you wrote. You wrote "forces I cannot personally control = GOD".

Heck according to your idiotic definition, I am god.

This can't be quoted enough. Luck is just a name we assign to some poo poo we see.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Info: Since atheism is the rejection of any gods, there is, in fact, no such a thing as an "atheist God".

I hope this helps.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Kanthulhu posted:

Info: Since atheism is the rejection of any gods, there is, in fact, no such a thing as an "atheist God".

I hope this helps.

Fools need to look up Deism. It's not widely known, but I'd say it makes the most sense.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Correct OP; much like God, there is no such thing as luck in this deterministic and uncaring Universe.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Wicker Man posted:

Fools need to look up Deism. It's not widely known, but I'd say it makes the most sense.

deism is even dumber than atheism. god exists because you can see evidence everywhere in the world around us. deists are just atheists who likewise see no evidence for god but then say he exists anyway because they don't want people on the internet to think they wear fedoras.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Cnut the Great posted:

god exists because you can see evidence everywhere in the world around us.

Actually, no.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Wicker Man posted:

how me a frog posted:

Luck is the result of very specific observable circumstances. Also has nothing to do with what you wrote. You wrote "forces I cannot personally control = GOD".

Heck according to your idiotic definition, I am god.
This can't be quoted enough.
but the post you quoted said something other than gently caress this tard thread

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

luck is what happens when you give a data point agency and a frame of reference

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

HJB posted:

A belief that there are forces beyond your own control? Sounds like a God to me.

God:
-Plate tectonic movement.
-Gravity.
-Your mum.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Kanthulhu posted:

Actually, no.

try looking at a sunset some time, fucko

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Cnut the Great posted:

deism is even dumber than atheism. god exists because you can see evidence everywhere in the world around us. deists are just atheists who likewise see no evidence for god but then say he exists anyway because they don't want people on the internet to think they wear fedoras.

No. God's there, he just doesn't do poo poo. What are you reading?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Luck is just quantum mechanics, man. Like you can know the location of a particle but you have to guess at the velocity or something. Are you correct? You got lucky.

That's why you suck at poker, OP.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
If advanced intelligent life could track and keep themselves aware of more variables in the universe, they would effectively be psychic from our perception of stupid idiot pattern brains.

They wouldn't even have to be really good at it from their standpoint. loving dogs are probably astounded by our level of foresight. If they could be such a thing.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
They worship technology, op

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Cnut the Great posted:

let's be real though: there's clearly some greater force in the universe with all the qualities traditionally attributed to "God" and if you deny this blindingly obvious fact you probably have an extremely low IQ and live a dull and unfulfilling life

also you probably repost "Science is AWESOME" links on FB and secretly think of neil degrasse tyson as "one of the good ones"

he is a credit to his race

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

let's be real though: there's clearly some greater force in the universe with all the qualities traditionally attributed to "God" and if you deny this blindingly obvious fact you probably have an extremely low IQ and live a dull and unfulfilling life

also you probably repost "Science is AWESOME" links on FB and secretly think of neil degrasse tyson as "one of the good ones"

lol

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
i watched a movie yesterday evening on EWTN about Pope John Paul I. And there's one scene in the movie in which Pope John Paul I says "good luck" to a pair of Swiss Guards after having chatted with them about their lives...

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
In high school someone said "good luck" and got interjected with "there is no such thing as luck it's gods work," by the hyper religious kid

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
"I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."
"Good luck."
"LUCK IS A FALLACY CREATED BY WEAK-MINDED FOOLS TO EXPLAIN THE—"
*click*
*rapes and kills his daughter*

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
a bad thread

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Are we applying this to an individual or just the nebulous idea of it?

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
lol atheists misdirect their emotional energies as irrationally as if they had religious zeal

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Just be an agnostic, that is the one true faith. People who believe in God are at best a terrible bore and Internet atheists are literally the worst.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Just be an agnostic, that is the one true faith. People who believe in God are at best a terrible bore and Internet atheists are literally the worst.

the lazy man's atheist

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I choose to believe in non-belief and practice non-belief as a dogma.

M'Lady

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

HJB posted:

An attributable catch-all for random chance? A belief that there are forces beyond your own control? Sounds like a God to me.

I do actually believe that some people actually have more tangible luck than other people. Like they have nothing else going for them they just have good poo poo happen to them constantly, or maybe some other people have luck in the sense that they keep narrowly-avoiding bad poo poo happening to them. Other people just get absolutely dumped on for no apparent reason.

But to put it more succinctly

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Luck isn't random, it's carefully portioned out by the fairy folk.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
arbitrarily declaring there is not a god is exactly as much a religion as christianity or scientology, in that it is impossible to prove a negative

chew on THAT athiests :smug:

naem
May 29, 2011

I HOPE BAD THINGS DONT HAPPAN TO YOU

There nothing supernatural

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Actually she's a Goddess, OP.

Hail discordia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
hey guys just chrcking in to say that, anyone who thinks things I dont think is definitely stupid, probabyl a virgin, and possibly a closet racist.

• Locked thread