Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

isnt there a bunch that already charge for car repairs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

What are the Chances that the Dragons Dogma FTP announcement today seals the deal about Deep Down (another f2p) being cancelled? F2P is starting to eat its own! Its a shame Capcom is testing the waters of FTP without first seeing if making a solid game with a good price will work better.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
deep down is going to come to NA as was the intent from the beginning, but dragon's dogma online isn't leaving japan. so no, it's not going to affect it. probably.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I forget the name of it, but there's one game that's on the 3DS where it's its basically a collection of lovely baseball minigames you buy from an in store shop keeper. The concept was that the bulk of the game was actually haggling the shop keep using items (you don't have to pay for) and conversation. Each minigame starts out at like $5 but through careful negotiation and bribery you can basically unlock every single minigame for like a buck. I heard the game was basically really poo poo, but the concept is kind of humorous where the minigames themselves are basically inconsequential and the "real" game is basically haggling for the chance to pay LESS in real money for them. Kind of ridiculous. Anyone remember what it was called?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
It's Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, and it's actually pretty fun. :shobon: You don't pay for the base game, and with all the haggling you pay somewhere between $10 or $15 bucks for all the minigames. It's just like a wario ware game, but with a unique pricing gimmick. I don't think it's comparable at all to the other games mentioned here.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It's somehow super depressing to me when I see a F2P game, log in to try it, and it's essentially dead except for a few dudes spending shitloads of money. There are a ton of f2p MMOs with stupidly low userbase that want real money for their super horses or whatever WoW can get away with selling nowadays as a microtransaction. I remember, about 8 yrs ago playing a Ragnarok Online EMULATOR -- free to play private server -- and there were people In Brazil & Singapore paying like $120 USD for a static jpeg of fairy wings on the back of their character. It blows my mind.

Tucked In The Cut
Nov 15, 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd rather brush my teeth
with a rusty razor
than front and bullshit
with all you fakers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Iron Prince posted:

I forget the name of it, but there's one game that's on the 3DS where it's its basically a collection of lovely baseball minigames you buy from an in store shop keeper. The concept was that the bulk of the game was actually haggling the shop keep using items (you don't have to pay for) and conversation. Each minigame starts out at like $5 but through careful negotiation and bribery you can basically unlock every single minigame for like a buck. I heard the game was basically really poo poo, but the concept is kind of humorous where the minigames themselves are basically inconsequential and the "real" game is basically haggling for the chance to pay LESS in real money for them. Kind of ridiculous. Anyone remember what it was called?

Rusty Baseball fuckin rules

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The whole model of these F2P app games never works for me because I primarily get my enjoyment out of games when they challenge me. I don't want to pay money to get help on a level, because that feels like cheating. I want to be able to beat it on my own and get more of a sense of accomplishment as a result. Some of these games bleed you dry by tricking you into thinking that you are skilled and just need a little boost, but I never want that boost in the first place.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Games often thrive as an escape from reality but every time a game suspends itself to show real money prices on parts of a game locked away from you it's a big slide whistle of gently caress up.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
With all of the psychological tricks these games use to get players addicted I have a real concern if anyone can actually call a f2p game fun. They're designed to keep you hooked and playing. Going so far as limiting your playtime so your dopamine receptors do not become accustomed to the dopamine your mind creates while playing the game.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
4 pages in and not a whisper of Mechwarrior Online? .... There are too many hilarious lovely things done to the community, who cling to it like battered wives due to mechwarrior intellectual property. The best part was when their developer started a new kickstarter for a starcitizen ripoff, asked for an obscene amout cash, got shadowbanned from Reddit for making their own page, doubled back and doubled down on Mechwarrior Online after a pantshitting realization this was their only option for generating funds.

It is still a buggy mess. Their origional UI sucked so they promised a new one, a year later we get a fetid garbage mess of a UI that everybody wishes they never asked for. They released a community warfare mode just recently that they promised to all their 'founders' years ago when it was still a beta...

I miss dropping with my goon bros and it was fun for a bit, but the whole clan invasion last batch of hot :pgi: cum I was willing to swallow.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I think every originally-tabletop IP has been nothing but poo poo in the videogame scene but people still eat it up. I'd say Tabletop gaming is one of the industries that can be more bullshit than F2P itself. Oh hey I can play this cool game called Warhammer if I spend $500 on un-assembled, un-painted plastic miniatures.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Internet Kraken posted:

The whole model of these F2P app games never works for me because I primarily get my enjoyment out of games when they challenge me. I don't want to pay money to get help on a level, because that feels like cheating. I want to be able to beat it on my own and get more of a sense of accomplishment as a result. Some of these games bleed you dry by tricking you into thinking that you are skilled and just need a little boost, but I never want that boost in the first place.

There is no "challenge" in not having enough CC in your kart to unlock the next track in Angry Birds Go. It just means that you don't have enough coins to buy the next upgrade. To get coins you can drive any of the earlier tracks you have already finished 1st in. (Or spend real money)

There is a challenge when you finally unlock the next track and your kart is the bottom-tier one compared to all the others. You might even finish 3rd or 4th! With some tactical power-up usage you might be able to win.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ularg posted:

I think every originally-tabletop IP has been nothing but poo poo in the videogame scene but people still eat it up. I'd say Tabletop gaming is one of the industries that can be more bullshit than F2P itself. Oh hey I can play this cool game called Warhammer if I spend $500 on un-assembled, un-painted plastic miniatures.

I am grabbing my popcorn for the shitshow the upcoming Wahammer 40k f2p online will be. I remeber reading a while ago that orks would be the free to play faction, and it takes something like 4 orks to take down one paid sppeeeecsh maurine.

I will probably install it anyways because I am a faggy turbo-nerd

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Willfrey posted:

I am grabbing my popcorn for the shitshow the upcoming Wahammer 40k f2p online will be. I remeber reading a while ago that orks would be the free to play faction, and it takes something like 4 orks to take down one paid sppeeeecsh maurine.

I will probably install it anyways because I am a faggy turbo-nerd

I will probably do it too because I'm sure there will be glitches or ways to stomp all over people who paid money to feel powerful and it will be hilarious. I also sort of like the challenge of getting as far as I can and getting as much as I can without paying a dime in f2p games. But half the time these f2p games feel shady or make me feel dirty playing them. Like I'm downloading some trojan horse along with the game.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ularg posted:

I will probably do it too because I'm sure there will be glitches or ways to stomp all over people who paid money to feel powerful and it will be hilarious. I also sort of like the challenge of getting as far as I can and getting as much as I can without paying a dime in f2p games. But half the time these f2p games feel shady or make me feel dirty playing them. Like I'm downloading some trojan horse along with the game.

I definately learned my f2p lesson with MWO. A lot of our fellow goons left MWO to hop on board Star Citizen and I resisted temptation. The moment that a game feels like a grind I am uninstalling.

Edit: just checked their website... Reads just like MWO with founders packs, hero classes (mechs) etc....

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 28, 2015

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Willfrey posted:

I definately learned my f2p lesson with MWO. A lot of our fellow goons left MWO to hop on board Star Citizen and I resisted temptation. The moment that a game feels like a grind I am uninstalling.

Yea, I played a tiny bit of MWO and got burned when it started showing all its elitism on how I should be playing. When it's like "No you can't have that cool looking robot buy this tiny thing and be cannon fodder for goon groups" I was like yea seeya shitlords.

And I will probably never hop onboard Star Citizen unless I can get in free or it's a year after an actual release when people can criticize it as a videogame and not a ship buying simulator.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ularg posted:

Yea, I played a tiny bit of MWO and got burned when it started showing all its elitism on how I should be playing. When it's like "No you can't have that cool looking robot buy this tiny thing and be cannon fodder for goon groups" I was like yea seeya shitlords.

Well, tbh a lot of mechs were plain garbage. Not that a new player would be able to discern this. Man for the longest time new players were forced into trials mechs, which had awful stock loadouts taken from TT values that had no place in a FPS. I wonder how many people installed the game, got wrecked 10 matches in a row and uninstalled. PGI was the best and punching themselves in the cock with one fist, and their players with the other.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Ularg posted:

Didn't Monday Night Combat the tf2 clone actually have a malware aspect that made your computer farm buttcoins for them?

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

I haven't played it, but Rusty's real deal baseball seems really cool and while I still don't like microtransactions, like all nintendo games, when they try some new mechanic, they really make the game about it. Rusty is a divorced dad who has set up a baseball store, but kids only play videogames, so he tries to sell crappy baseball games while trying to keep it together. So it's a divorce drama, a haggling simulator with real money on the line, and a collection of baseball-themed mini games. If more f2p games were like that, I would mind microtransactions less.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Junkie Disease posted:

Didn't Monday Night Combat the tf2 clone actually have a malware aspect that made your computer farm buttcoins for them?

No. They "just" had an option where you could farm bitcoins for them in exchange for in-game currency.

Though this was for Super Monday Night Combat which ramped up the obnoxious MOBA parts of the game and tried to more or less copy LoL's F2P scheme wholesale without really understanding why LoL gets away with it.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 28, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

John Murdoch posted:

No. They "just" had an option where you could farm bitcoins for them in exchange for in-game currency.

Though this was for Super Monday Night Combat which ramped up the obnoxious MOBA parts of the game and tried to more or less copy LoL's F2P scheme wholesale without really understanding why LoL gets away with it.

Yeah for whatever it's worth Monday Night Combat was just a cool fairly cheap game you bought once and then played as much as you wanted, and the devs promptly abandoned it despite saying they weren't going to do so to make Super Monday Night Combat, a f2p version with a particularly predatory pricing model. Then people gave them over a million dollars on kickstarter to make planetary annihilation. :shrug:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

John Murdoch posted:

Speaking of League of Legends I hate that most MOBAs copy their version of F2P rather than DOTA's (paying to permanently unlock heroes vs all heroes available and charging for cosmetics). Killed any interest I had in Blizzard's new MOBA.

LoL is weird too because even though they are literally the biggest game in the world they are apparently utterly garbage at monetisation. Last I heard it was something like a single-digit percentage of players who ever spend even a single penny on it. Some of that may be due to a lot of it being played in the developing world but still, some marketer out there has to be shaking their head.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Is it time to talk about Path of Exile? Its great and outside of bank tabs(you start with more then enough) zero evil f2p stuff. Every time I boot it up I am aghast at the lack of evil in that game.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
I enjoy Terra Battle. Not once have I had to spend money on its payment model (energy, stamina), and yet there is enough incentive to do so if you're truly into the game and its mechanics.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Pierson posted:

Speaking of League of Legends I hate that most MOBAs copy their version of F2P rather than DOTA's (paying to permanently unlock heroes vs all heroes available and charging for cosmetics). Killed any interest I had in Blizzard's new MOBA.

LoL is weird too because even though they are literally the biggest game in the world they are apparently utterly garbage at monetisation. Last I heard it was something like a single-digit percentage of players who ever spend even a single penny on it. Some of that may be due to a lot of it being played in the developing world but still, some marketer out there has to be shaking their head.

Man there was long rear end discussion over this stuff in the blizzard sub forums. But the gist of it is that for other companies to copy the valve model they'd have to copy steam and its trading economy. There's certainly some outliers there that thrive due to some niche and/or whales.

Low digit spending isn't necessarily a terrible thing. You can interpret it as the game being pleasant enough to play without being pressured to spend money. Which is kind of interesting when there's all this stuff to grind for.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Drakes posted:

Man there was long rear end discussion over this stuff in the blizzard sub forums. But the gist of it is that for other companies to copy the valve model they'd have to copy steam and its trading economy. There's certainly some outliers there that thrive due to some niche and/or whales.

Low digit spending isn't necessarily a terrible thing. You can interpret it as the game being pleasant enough to play without being pressured to spend money. Which is kind of interesting when there's all this stuff to grind for.

I think DOTA actually makes more money per player than LoL does, LoL just has like 50 million players

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Pierson posted:

Most F2P games have a vast majority of players who don't spend a dime, and are supported by a minority of players who spend a lot.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
The worst thing about f2p games is lovely funbux that dont translate directly to even values of your currency

League of legends, skins are 487 or 975 rp. Some are 1820 rp (instead of the obvious 1950) and you invariably wind up with like 237 rp left over with no way to spend it. Because it's a dollar for 120, 5 for 650, 10 for 1400, etc

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I've been playing some Heroes of the Storm and have had dark thoughts on if the game used a cashcurrency system.

Like if the game had a median points bundle with bonus points. Would stuff work out 5-15% cheaper :negative:.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

THE PENETRATOR posted:

The worst thing about f2p games is lovely funbux that dont translate directly to even values of your currency

League of legends, skins are 487 or 975 rp. Some are 1820 rp (instead of the obvious 1950) and you invariably wind up with like 237 rp left over with no way to spend it. Because it's a dollar for 120, 5 for 650, 10 for 1400, etc

Yeah that's intentional. Cause you'll have 175 points left over or some poo poo and and then youll buy more points because hey youre halfway to a new skin or something so its really like getting a deal.

When you understand the psychology behind it it's so drat twisted.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Is intentionally garbage that i hate! !!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Didn't the xbox points work the same way? 1000 points was like 8 bux and then games cost some amount of points that didn't divide 1000 evenly.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Wheany posted:

Didn't the xbox points work the same way? 1000 points was like 8 bux and then games cost some amount of points that didn't divide 1000 evenly.

Yup you would have like 80 points left. But hey that sweet new halo avatar is only 100 points. You are so close to owning it.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Drakes posted:

I've been playing some Heroes of the Storm and have had dark thoughts on if the game used a cashcurrency system.

Like if the game had a median points bundle with bonus points. Would stuff work out 5-15% cheaper :negative:.

I got into the heroes of the storm beta about a week ago and the cash poo poo is horrible (the actual game is good though). All of the bundles in the store are horrible (think mostly $25-50 for a few heroes and skins) and your ability to get gold takes a nose dive once you get to level 10 accountwise because they just stop giving you gold when you level up.

The heroes range between 2000 and 15000 gold and you get 30 per win. You can get 500 gold by getting a hero to level 5 (about 10 wins) and you get a daily quest that gets you 200-800 but may be lock behind a hero you don't own.

They also do poo poo like not giving you any free heroes so you even have to buy the basic tutorial guy.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
The weirdest thing I remember from LoL is it became a regular thing to ask on the forums or in tickets for 10-20 RP and you could usually get it although sometimes they would ask for random things like a hand drawn picture of Teemo.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Ularg posted:

There's a lot of good D&D style rpgs you can get the rules for free online like Dungeon World or Lasers and Feelings, although you need some dice with weird numbers and paper for some of them. I think they assume that they won't make money off them and they're fairly passionate about the medium so they don't go heavy into monetizing.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

To date there are 123 playable characters in league of legends, and if my tally is right it costs 95,485 RP (Real-money currency) to unlock them all. In theory (not accounting for overflow from RP bundle tiers) it would cost between $636.57 - $734.50 to buy all the characters. I think you could shave about $50 off if you buy the retail release/collectors character pack, and in theory you could wait and pick them up as they individually go on sale for 50% off. That still results in a stupidly expensive game.

You can unlock characters without spending real money through IP points earned by playing games. I've played approximately 4,600 games ( :shepface: ) over the last 4 or 5 years. I still have 13 characters left unlocked, 8 if I cashed in all my un-spent IP on the cheapest ones.

This is in a game who's main selling point is COMPETITIVE ESPORTZ, where presumably you want everyone to start on an even playing-field.

OtherworldlyInvader fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 29, 2015

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

To date there are 123 playable characters in league of legends, and if my tally is right it costs 95,485 RP (Real-money currency) to unlock them all. In theory (not accounting for overflow from RP bundle tiers) it would cost between $636.57 - $734.50 to buy all the characters. You could shave about $50 less if you buy the retail release/collectors character pack, and in theory you could wait and pick them up as they individually go on sale for 50% off.

You can unlock characters without spending real money through IP points earned by playing games. I've played approximately 4,600 games ( :shepface: ) over the last 4 or 5 years. I still have 13 characters left unlocked, 8 if I cashed in all my un-spent IP on the cheapest ones.

This is in a game who's main selling point is COMPETITIVE ESPORTZ, where presumably you want everyone to start on an even playing-field.

Don't forget the fact that you need to spend IP on runes, which exist only to give you ingame stat boosts that will give you a noticeable edge over players who don't have them or have lower quality ones.

So, yeah, COMPETITIVE ESPORTZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
I think it's fair to say that we're entering into something of a soft video game crash. The console market is effectively dead in Japan and nothing is rising up to replace it, the mobile market is flooded with poo poo just as the console market was back in the Atari days and big, well-established publishers like Capcom are struggling to produce mobile hits. I feel like the days of big AAA games are coming to a close and it's all gonna be touchy tappy phone poo poo from here on out.

Unless you're on PC. PC's a great place to be these days.

• Locked thread