Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Han Nehi posted:

how do i find this post

he probs cut out the nws post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

is this a megathread yet

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Fathis Munk posted:

he probs cut out the nws post.

It was turned into a link

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
rap sheet

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

verbal enema posted:

It was turned into a link

pfuh, that poo poo is censored, how do you expect me to get off on that eh ?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Fathis Munk posted:

pfuh, that poo poo is censored, how do you expect me to get off on that eh ?

Idk man she seems OK w/ it

Heck, I am too

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Why are the megathreads closing :confused:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
because spanish manlove

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
why does spanish manlove not like meagrethreads?????

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
uh... cause they are fun ?

idk man
:shrug:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Samuel posted:

Why are the megathreads closing :confused:

To drive the number of reasons to visit GBS ever closer to 0.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
this is a lovely meta-megathread

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Megathreads are so awful and bring the worst out of this website please please please let this rule be permanent and also implement it to all other subforums.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

sorry megathreads rule its too bad the mods here think threads aren't made for posting in

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Spanish Manlove posted:

FYI unless a thread is completely trash I'm going to let the little sapling try to grow above the ashes.

I can get behind this idea

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Lots of posts is a clear indicator that a thread is bad and should be closed

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I prefer quality over quantity

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I also prefer a handful of quality threads over a vast quantity of poo poo threads

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
can we please make it bannable to make threads or post in threads

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

no such thing as a quality thread how can you not know that by now

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

gnarlyhotep posted:

I prefer quality over quantity

Quality doesn't seem to be factoring in to any of this though does it? Just the length of the thread

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

:qq: oh my good ness... what... im speechless :qq:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
the sky is not falling, calm down everyone

we're just trying some stuff to see how it works out

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

list of quality threads in SA history:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

gnarlyhotep posted:

that's what hitler said

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

gnarlyhotep posted:

every mod action is a bad action and I'm a facist rear end in a top hat who just wants attention

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

mein kraft

itsgotmetoo
Oct 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Spanish Manlove posted:

every mod action is a bad action and I'm a facist rear end in a top hat who just wants attention

Meltdown harder, scrub

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Hey what the gently caress I was about to organize an armed attack on Green Bay in Texas Friendtalk

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I have opinions about mods let me share them with you

The best kind of mod/admin is one you don't even know their name or care about them because they just quietly do their job in the background. If you are well-known and recognized everywhere you're either reviled (so you're a bad mod) or you're a big popular leader (so you're a bad mod for making the forum about you) or you're polarizing with huge fans and huge critics (so you're a bad mod for making the forum about the controversy you generate).

Your real job is basically equivalent to that of a low-level civil servant. You have a lovely repetitive thankless thing to do which is probate or ban the bottom 0.5% of posters and that's really all. You are not a charismatic manager who will climb the corporate chain by alternately licking your boss's rear end in a top hat and showing off how dynamic and useful you are by scrambling the org chart or instituting the latest cloud software platform.

You'll know you're doing it right when nobody notices you or cares about you and the forums just chug happily along.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Maybe some of us don't want to post inane poo poo on the internet, and are just looking for large threads full of inane poo poo to sift through when they need to kill some time, or want to see pictures of dogs or depressing pictures from other countries. Maybe some of us really couldn't care less about the hundreds of gimmick threads that surge in and out like the tide, sure to be gassed within the hour. Instead of bombing the larger threads, maybe put them somewhere where they'll be out of your way so you don't have to be repulsed every time you see them, and the idiot fagbabies who like to look at content without making GBS threads threads everywhere can do that to their gay little hearts' content.

You know, like what PYF was ostensibly about, before you did this there too.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Spanish Manlove posted:

word.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Are any metrics used to determine quality?

For instance, it seems to me that it is reasonable to consider the now-closed OSHA thread as quality based on its high ratio of views to posts, which was at 202:1 (rounding down).

By way of comparison, the original Tumblr thread, also closed down as a megathread, only attained an 87:1 view to post ratio.

The Tumblr thread actually had more posts than the OSHA thread, but the OSHA thread was more viewed. It seems like treating these two threads as essentially the same is missing some important differences in the very nature of these threads.

In any case, if nothing else the overall anger level of GBS seems to have been raised a little by closing the megathreads, which is a worthwhile endeavor in its own right.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

the only quality thing gbs needs is quality mods :smug:

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Imagine reading any of that poo poo above

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I have opinions about mods let me share them with you

The best kind of mod/admin is one you don't even know their name or care about them because they just quietly do their job in the background. If you are well-known and recognized everywhere you're either reviled (so you're a bad mod) or you're a big popular leader (so you're a bad mod for making the forum about you) or you're polarizing with huge fans and huge critics (so you're a bad mod for making the forum about the controversy you generate).

Your real job is basically equivalent to that of a low-level civil servant. You have a lovely repetitive thankless thing to do which is probate or ban the bottom 0.5% of posters and that's really all. You are not a charismatic manager who will climb the corporate chain by alternately licking your boss's rear end in a top hat and showing off how dynamic and useful you are by scrambling the org chart or instituting the latest cloud software platform.

You'll know you're doing it right when nobody notices you or cares about you and the forums just chug happily along.

No, moderators are people too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Are any metrics used to determine quality?

For instance, it seems to me that it is reasonable to consider the now-closed OSHA thread as quality based on its high ratio of views to posts, which was at 202:1 (rounding down).

By way of comparison, the original Tumblr thread, also closed down as a megathread, only attained an 87:1 view to post ratio.

The Tumblr thread actually had more posts than the OSHA thread, but the OSHA thread was more viewed. It seems like treating these two threads as essentially the same is missing some important differences in the very nature of these threads.

In any case, if nothing else the overall anger level of GBS seems to have been raised a little by closing the megathreads, which is a worthwhile endeavor in its own right.

haha look at this nerd.

• Locked thread