Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Moola posted:

at least we have the scrunt thread...
Official hams refugee center for the time being

AchtungBaby posted:

How bout them necromundas?
It was pretty good! I digged lots of the tables people built for it and especially this GW made one is rad though I can't find more pics

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
The 40k orks aren't really Tolkien orcs at all.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

poo poo we're already two pages in and nobody has posted any skeletons

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Phoon posted:

poo poo we're already two pages in and nobody has posted any skeletons

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sad Mammal posted:

The 40k orks aren't really Tolkien orcs at all.

They're green and ugly and don't really have a coherent lifecycle and are dark twisted parodies of humanity and they use lovely improvised or crude equipment. I mean yes obviously they're also parodies of british cockneys but that's secondary.

space elves eldar are also not exactly the same as the long-hair-obsessed tolkein elves but w/e the point is as originally conceived, warhammer 40k was a futuristic version of GW's fantasy property. They even had space dwarves and space ogres although they'd prefer everyone forget about that now.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Leperflesh posted:

where does warhammer 40k sit in the chain? It is derivitave not only of tolkein (despite being nominally sci fi it has tolkein orcs and elves in it) but also Alien, joe haldeman novels, and lovecraft

They also ripped off a load of stuff from Michael Moorcock's Elric books.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Leperflesh posted:

They're green and ugly and don't really have a coherent lifecycle and are dark twisted parodies of humanity and they use lovely improvised or crude equipment. I mean yes obviously they're also parodies of british cockneys but that's secondary.

space elves eldar are also not exactly the same as the long-hair-obsessed tolkein elves but w/e the point is as originally conceived, warhammer 40k was a futuristic version of GW's fantasy property. They even had space dwarves and space ogres although they'd prefer everyone forget about that now.

But orks are garishly green, fungal, comic relief Mad Max punks with silly accents, Tolkien orcs are swarthy elf abortions that come from WWI hun iconography.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sad Mammal posted:

But orks are garishly green, fungal, comic relief Mad Max punks with silly accents, Tolkien orcs are swarthy elf abortions that come from WWI hun iconography.

yeah like I said there's been an evolution. But it's still a chain of one work deriving off the the previous, for a hundred years.

As opposed to developing an original fantasy or SF setting with original, new alien species or whatever.

Being derivative isn't entirely a bad thing though, that sense of familiarity makes a setting more immediately accessible to a casual person. You see some orks on a table and you have some idea of what's going on, whereas if it was idk pink elephant-faced fish-people who talk to each other by playing violins, you'd be like 'what the heck I have no idea what this is'.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
40 gay

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Warhammer is bad and fun

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Tin Tim posted:

Official hams refugee center for the time being

It was pretty good! I digged lots of the tables people built for it and especially this GW made one is rad though I can't find more pics

that actually owns

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Warhammer is bad and fun

I learned in the gw deathwatch thread that fun is not an empirical concept and therefore it doesn't exist, beep boop.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Leperflesh posted:

yeah like I said there's been an evolution. But it's still a chain of one work deriving off the the previous, for a hundred years.

As opposed to developing an original fantasy or SF setting with original, new alien species or whatever.

Being derivative isn't entirely a bad thing though, that sense of familiarity makes a setting more immediately accessible to a casual person. You see some orks on a table and you have some idea of what's going on, whereas if it was idk pink elephant-faced fish-people who talk to each other by playing violins, you'd be like 'what the heck I have no idea what this is'.

That's why I cast all my foe characters and races as Africans

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I am sad that the old thread is dead but on the other hand people were starting to unironically post their fanfiction in it which is the sign a thread needs to die, "Exterminatus" if you will (that is my little 40k joke for you all)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Real talk I played a Warhammer 40k game like three times, a buddy invited me

it was fun and I could see how people could get lost in it

and yet I laughed in the face of the guy, when he told me a "starter army" could be as low as 200 dollars (not including the manual for how to play said army)

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

itsgotmetoo posted:

grimdark is a stupid loving word

noblebright

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

He was lying, there's no way you get brand new models for a starter army for warhammer for as little as $200.

Well, maybe if he told you that like 10+ years ago.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Never forget :skeltal:

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I like Dan Abnett's & Commisar Cain books & can appreciate the painting skill but the game itself? Not happening.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Wet, Leopard Growl

Humors

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Leperflesh posted:

where does warhammer 40k sit in the chain? It is derivitave not only of tolkein (despite being nominally sci fi it has tolkein orcs and elves in it) but also Alien, joe haldeman novels, and lovecraft

See I thought they ripped from Tolkein, Alien & Terminator. But Lovecraftian??

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Tin Tim posted:

all those posts will be lost in time

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

hail moola, threadnaught of the 1st Legion, the Dork Angels

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

i just painted up five deadzone zombies only twenty more to paint

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

tzeench and the concept of the warp in general is pretty lovecraft

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

never forget cool 'hams thread

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Warhammer is about 5 or so links down in the chain of the modern fantasy human centipede, with Tolkien at the head, and all the unoriginal fuckers behind him.

well said

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
£2.50 for 5 is a pretty good deal

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Moola posted:

all those posts will be lost in time
We can make them again, we have the technology

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

poo poo it's already page 2... Anyone got some cool poo poo to post about Warhamer ? ?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

never forget cool 'hams thread

old titans were the best.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

I learned in the gw deathwatch thread that fun is not an empirical concept and therefore it doesn't exist, beep boop.

:eyepop: kinda like here

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

Philadelphia posted:

stop talking about space marines and support NASA

fixed

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

It'd probably be quicker to list genre fiction that Warhammer DIDN'T pinch from. A non-exhaustive list of stuff that's been swiped at over the years:

2000 A.D.
Heavy Metal magazine
Doctor Who
Tolkein
Vance
Moorcock
Heinlein
H.R. Giger
The Terminator
H.P. Lovecraft

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hogge Wild posted:

:eyepop: kinda like here

fun doesnt exist in gibbs

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

The warp, creatures from beyond time and space, your brain exploding due to it, tentacles, body horror, ancient secrets man was not meant to know, books that kill you if you read them, etc. etc.

I mean it's probably less specific than alien/tolkein but it's there.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
god forbid a thread be popular enough to get long. anyway have an absurdly tiny terminator.

edit: it's like the size of a pinky fingernail.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Sad Mammal posted:

It'd probably be quicker to list genre fiction that Warhammer DIDN'T pinch from. A non-exhaustive list of stuff that's been swiped at over the years:

2000 A.D.
Heavy Metal magazine
Doctor Who
Tolkein
Vance
Moorcock
Heinlein
H.R. Giger
The Terminator
H.P. Lovecraft

you forgot Dune. Dune is a big one.

Inexplicable Humblebrag