Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

johnny sack posted:

Is this a classroom or what the gently caress??

Frog Act posted:

gaokao probably

Well that sure clears that up :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Modest Mao posted:

It's 電話 (dian hua) in chinese,, same meaning. Cell phone is 手機 "hand machine" though.

edit:

Some other cool compound nouns

Scooter is 機車, machine vehicle.
Car is 汽車, air vehicle.
Train is 火車, fire vehicle.
plane is 飛機, flying machine.

"chinese is the hardest language" lol

If train is "fire vehicle", what's fire truck?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Thanks thread, I just bought Poorly Made in China. Can't wait to start reading it tonight.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Lazyfire posted:

It's sort of fascinating in the wrong way. Like, everything the guy talks about is something that sounds so bizarre that you have to wonder if parts are made up.

I watched a few of the documentaries posted here, and then the discussion of the book just kinda piqued my interest in exactly the way you describe. I imagine reading it will be like rubbernecking at an accident; it's the wrong thing to do but morbid curiosity gets the better of you.

On the same note, I've been looking to buy some cutlery, and 99% is made in China. The bad reviews point out everything mentioned in this thread: poorly made from inferior steel that bends at the slightest pressure; poorly packaged utensils that arrive scuffed and scratched; handles that shatter suddenly for no reason; knife blades that suddenly snap off because of poor tempering or inferior epoxy; etc. etc. The number one question asked is always "where are these made?" And the number one answer is almost always "unfortunately, China." Thankfully, I've found a couple of sources of non-Chinese flatware which exhibit none of these problems.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Zipline posted:

8/10ths of this thread is text and stories, hoping for some from Chengdu/Nanjing. And pictures would be even better. I used to work with some Chinese immigrants and they told me the Chinese are really filthy by American standards, so trying to gauge how sick I'm going to get.

Dude, maybe you should start an ask/tell thread, or poke around the Regional China discussion thread.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

WarpedNaba posted:

Judging from the general state of QA over there, one can only imagine it's a step or two away from downing spent jet fuel.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Just finished reading Poorly Made in China, and it's like taking the pill in the Matrix. Everywhere I walk I now notice imported goods, and I instantly deconstruct them from a Chinese manufacturing perspective. I see "inside" them. I see the whole story of how they came to be, and how they slowly came to be, well, poorly made in China.

Hmmm...that lamp, the style is just a little off. The factory copied the model from Crate and Barrel, but changed it just enough. And the pole fits poorly in the base. Also, there are casting marks where there should be none, and very small --almost unnoticeable-- scuffs that weren't polished out. I can just see the sequence of events that led to that. Switching up on the manufacturing process to save $0.10, buying a machine to stick the pole into the base in order to impress the importer, but the machine does a poor job of it, etc. etc.

Hmm...those towels, they're juuuuuust a little to thin. Manufacturer probably showed the importer proper samples, then slowly starting backing out the pile until there was only enough thread to hold the towel together but not do an actual job of toweling. Oh, me so solly, you bought 100,000 like this. Need $.05 more per unit next time. Must be problem at factory!

It's impossible to unsee :smith:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Yeah, do the bare minimum to spec at first, then slowly dial back the quality until (a) someone notices; (b) poo poo breaks; (c) poo poo breaks and people die.

And of course my favorite knock-off mashup toy of all time, containing who knows how much lead, uranium, asbestos and carcinogens in the poly bag alone:

The furniture of law enforcement indeed. :china:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Davincie posted:

here's a translated episode of what i assume is the same dating show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiFCWwKq2wg

I was expecting something worse. This was very :3:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
The clone wars, they have begun.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/10/technology/mobile/china-fake-apple-watch/index.html

(fake Apple watches now available in Shenzen)

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

What exactly is that camouflage pattern supposed to be useful for? Do they expect to deploy into a vat of vanilla blueberry green tea swirl ice cream?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
So...John Sculley, formerly of Apple, is developing a new cellphone. The hardest part?

John Sculley posted:

The hardest part of the design was not coming up with cool-looking designs. It was sweating the details over in the Chinese factories, who just were not accustomed to having this quality of finish, all of these little details that make a beautiful design. We had teams over in China, working for months on the floor every day. We intend to continue that process and have budgeted accordingly.

(emphasis mine)

Having read Poorly Made in China, I can just imagine the whole hot mess.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Fart Puzzle posted:

I wonder how cost effective a machine that turned your farts into usable energy would be

I am not a fartonomist so I cannot comment.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Made in Chian best product 5000 years industry

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
New York City is getting its first baijiu bar

http://gothamist.com/2015/11/14/nyc_baijiu_bar_lumos.php

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

china.jpg: Is this a fly from opening up?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Germans poo poo in some interesting places, according to some videos I found

Germans poo poo in some interesting places, according to some videos i OWN :tutbutt: :nexus:

ninja edit :page412snypa:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I am not an alcoholic so I cannot comment.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Shayu posted:

I think that its ok for millions to die if it's done by actions of someone intending to do good.

That is the China Way™ :china:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

effectual posted:

France doesn't usually explode every day though.

Too soon.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Some chinawoman stabbed another chinawoman (whom she did not know) at the Art Basel exhibition in Miami. No why.

http://gothamist.com/2015/12/07/art_basel_miami_stab.php

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Grand Fromage posted:

Good album cover

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Stanos posted:

what's the singles

Gonna need some help from the thread experts on that.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Someone just posted on reddit (I know, I know) a picture of a note found tucked into a sock purchased from Primark (whatever that is):

Assuming this is Chinese?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Shenzen sunroof.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Snowy posted:

No way, just send her the poop pics and see where this goes.

This.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Those remind me very much of Pocher model cars.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

ladron posted:

I feel it's important to let you know i got this and found it amusing.

+1

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
slam nong
holy dong

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Do they actually want the potted plants or is it just because it's free?

Yes.

No why.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Ah yes, the infamous mystical Jewish salt and pepper shakers of wealth :psyduck:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

whiteyfats posted:

Countdown until China claims Hawaii and Puerto Rico. :ohdear:

5,000 years of luau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

angel opportunity posted:

happy new year guys

I am on the wrong page so I cannot comment.

• Locked thread