Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

ive only read the book/played the games how do they handle the scene where he throws his newborn son headfirst on to the ground to prove to his adviser that he can get a new son but not a new adviser

How about the scene where a peasant has no meat and cooks his wife and serves her to Liu Bei, and Liu Bei and Cao Cao put aside their differences to both high five the peasant for putting service to his lord first.

And yeah, even in Rot3K its easy to read between the lines and see that Liu Bei was probably a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I wonder what pests he will order the Chinese people to kill. I'm going to guess bees because they are taking all those pollinating jobs away from hard working farmers.

This has already been done. There are parts of southwest China where the bees have all been killed by pollution and pesticides and the farmers have to hand pollinate their apple trees.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Hihohe posted:

Is china just that lovely country from Dilbert? The one where everything is mud?

It's not mud, it's loess.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

So outside of the green hat thing, can someone tell me more about how cucking works in China these days?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Is the stuff about Mao having a weird dick true?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Accretionist posted:

My guess would be integrity of research methods. A few months ago, for a content mill, I wrote an article about penis size. Long story short, studies into penis size are almost all useless because they either rely on self-report, which gives you inflated figures, or self-selected volunteers, which gives you inflated figures.

The best study to date puts the average at just over 5", erect. Unfortunately, because of the data used, this figure is really just for western caucasians.

Visual Aid:

Note:
5" = 12.70cm
6" = 15.24cm

That can't be true... that would mean for every 6 incher there's a 4 incher, and 4 inches is really really small.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

EIFS (Exterior Insulation Finishing System) is a pretty common exterior treatment, basically a cheap synthetic stucco. The combustibility of the foam is a known property and usually the other components of the system like the coating, backing, and mesh are selected to mitigate that. Like I wouldn't be shocked if that building is a deathtrap, but its more complex than just "lol foam."

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

oohhboy posted:

Did you see what was behind that foam? The building looks like it's made out of loose rocks and mesh.

Oh, its definitely poo poo, just didn't want anyone thinking there was any innovation going on.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

With the job market these days I wouldn't be so sure.

If you're a math PhD that actually speaks comprehensible English, you're set.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I work in times square and I've seen a bunch of these from various places in China. I assume it's purely an internal dick measuring contest and they're not actually expecting Midwestern tourists to see a billboard and think more positively about Henan.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

What did Rene have to say?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

A guy my dad worked with got a mail order bride. He was Chinese but grew up in the US. His parents absolutely insisted he could only marry a girl from their hometown back in China. He was not able to find any in Brooklyn, surprisingly. This was pre internet so they went to a matchmaker who gave him a binder full of headshots to pick from. He went with the prettiest one, but had no idea what she looked like below the neck.
It actually worked out great, they totally clicked personality wise. His wife lived through a lot of Maoist bullshit and thought American democracy and capitalism were the greatest things ever, she started her own business. I'm guessing this is not representative of how mail order marriages usually go.
They aren't inflicting any nonsense on their children though. Their son just married a nice Hispanic girl he met at school.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Joke? It was a statement of simple fact.

I'm actually pretty impressed it was able to tip over while staying vaguely intact. I would have expected the shear stresses to break the walls apart on the way down.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Wendigee posted:

Its going to live 50 years longer than the average chinese kid minimum, or at least it would if it was let into the loving ocean instead of 6 inches of water.

It's super lucky to return lost sea turtles to the sea.

It's just as lucky to buy a fresh water turtle and throw it into the ocean where it dies a quick but painful death.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In China, do you have this?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Fojar38 posted:

in an alternate universe chinese goons are mocking the inscrutable occident by saying "why" to everything

Seriously, whats the Chinese language equivalent to SA? I want to experience 5000 years of shitposting.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

I would never have sex with a she-goon.

Unless Microwave's mom has an account.

In traditional Chinese culture family members of goons count as goons, up to nine degrees of relation.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Haier posted:

Since my posting has given me lecher status, here's some OC. China_woman.jpg

Congrats to the crafty, tiny-dicked dudes who started this rumor.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Fojar38 posted:

why is it always the british

I'd think they're blackmailing someone, but everybody in UK government and media being a paedo isn't exactly a secret.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Somebody in one of these threads related a story about a globe in Korea that had a sticker placed over it to replace "Sea of Japan" with "East Sea," and also make Korea bigger and Japan smaller.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Haier posted:

I was told tonight that a common thing for couples/people who want to get a bang in without going home or renting an hourly hotel is to use the internet and get a coupon/groupon for a KTV and pay like 20-30 RMB for 1-2 hours in a room there and bang and drink a couple sodas and leave. Maybe this is why KTV is so popular.

how did you not realize this until now

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Haier posted:

I've never been to KTV because I don't care about karaoke and the only time anyone asks me to go is in some big work group thing and gently caress that and being the only non-Chinese in the room.

That is your chance to sing badly in Chinese and make everyone 哈哈哈

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

My dad was an MP in the (US) army in Korea in the 60s, and he remembered the riots as being insane. The riot cops on one side doing their thing, and the protestors on the other being just as if not more organized and disciplined than the cops. God help you if you were standing between the two for any reason.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

89% of Chinese whoremongers don't use condoms.

I wonder what the deal is with the 11%.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

the gently caress is a mouth fedora

they do some weird poo poo in chiner I tell you what.

I'm imagining a particularly horrible form of mustache.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Haier posted:

Agreeing with this, and my anecdote is on the opposite side. When I lived in the vegetarian hotdog fest of India, every one of my (male) friends thought the most amazing beautiful girls in the world were blond-haired blue-eyed white girls. I heard "exotic" a lot to describe them. If a white girl loved skinny brown men, she would literally be having dicks tossed at her every moment of every day if she wanted one. I actually knew several white girls who lived/stayed there and the few there that were "OK" or interested with Indian men were getting dicks left and right, in every crease and hole possible. Those girls got smart and went after Indian guys with a lot of money and the guys would pamper the hell out of them. They were just boring dishwater white girls, but that was beyond "good enough" for the Indians. Thought white guys in Asia are more common, you can find a parallel.

Friend of my sister went back to India to get married in the family's ancestral village, and invited her white American bff to go with her to this town in the middle of nowhere.

"White girl visits village" made the front page of the local paper. She had to stay inside to keep the proposals under control. One guy offered a herd of goats for her hand in marriage and was surprised to be turned down, cause it was a lot of loving goats.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It's fun to try to find Dokdo on a map. You're like oh it must be that tiny insignificant island there. Then you realize no, that's Ulleung, I actually have to zoom in a few more levels to even see Dokdo.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Fojar38 posted:

guys the new york times says that china is going to dominate the entire pacific ocean

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/07/opinion/chinas-pacific-overtures.html

I love when your red text actually ends up working out perfectly.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

canoshiz posted:

If do right, no can defense.
True
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_JMkptIuko

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

I grew up in a town that had a ton of Korean and other immigrants to the USA and I can confirm that Asian Christians are indeed very strange. The mention earlier that in China it is either Catholic/Christian suddenly explains why so many of them were insistent that the two were entirely separate religions not simply different denominations.

Plenty of good old fashioned American evangelicals think that Catholicism is secretly a satanic conspiracy.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Would I get the angry nong thing if I visited China with my ABC wife? Could they tell/would they care that she's not actually Chinese?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

GeneX posted:

Someone explain what the hell the deal is with taiwan and china

I think taiwan say they're an independent country that are the sole rightful heirs to the title of "real china", since china is communist-ish. China maintains that Taiwan is an unruly province of theirs.

So, if I have that right, who gets mad when you call Taiwan "China" or Chinese? Because someone seems to, even though they quite literally both maintain that Taiwan is china

"One China" is the official policy of the Taiwanese government (in part since changing that could mean war with the PRC), but plenty of Taiwanese people consider themselves independent and may get kind of salty at being called Chinese. Taiwan has only shared a government with the mainland for 4 out of the last 100 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEn3xqrMasc

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

You're just a dumb whitey. I can pick an ABC out of a crowd of a thousand Mainlanders in a heartbeat and I'm white as gently caress.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I personally have zero problem playing spot the mainlander (is their toddler currently making GBS threads on a newspaper?), was just curious if the reverse was true. My wife knows literally five words (一,二,三,人, and 山)of Chinese so it probably wouldn't be a problem anyway. Not like racist weirdos on the subway is new to me, just around here they usually have the excuse of a legit mental illness.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

She doesn't turn 18 for 11 years, Haier will probably be out of China by then.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Be quiet Modest Mao

A lot of people in the 19th century were pretty scared of Russia conquering China, as the fundamentally Asiatic character of the Russian people would allow the nations to easily merge into an unstoppable juggernaught.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It's really weird to mention if someone is Chinese or not in the china.jpg thread, guys.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Modest Mao posted:

Did no one catch that that fat dude is 216 KiloGrams which is 476 pounds

"My 600-lb Life" is an American TV show in its fourth season.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

These airstrips are a military threat to places like the Phillipines, but no problem at all to the US Navy. So the only logical outcome of this artificial island business is everybody else in SEA cozying up to Uncle Sam.

Does China not get this? Someone link me a British academic explaining how this is all part of an inscrutable plan that westerners (who lack the long term perspective of 5000 years of history) can't comprehend.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

simplefish posted:

people from the UK as customs chiefs,

The foreign run China Maritime Customs Service thing started well before her. The foreigners first took over customs administration in Shanghai in 1854, since the Small Swords rebels had taken over the city and the Qing could no longer collect.

The Qing dynasty was quite thoroughly hosed when she came to power, what with being in the middle of history's second bloodiest war. While she was not necessarily the prime mover of the Tongzhi Restoration, it's not really fair to try to blame her for all the failures during her reign without also giving her any credit for that decade when they kind of sort of got their poo poo back together.

And yeah, the politicization of history in China is really frustrating to deal with. There's so much effort put into arguing "was figure x good or bad?" that would be better spent on "should we really be uncritically taking this primary source about figure x at face value?" I was reading this paper about the historiography of an obscure subject that doesn't need exploring at this juncture, and it had a sentence along the lines of "For a Marxist party which professes that the intellectual superstructure is always determined by the material base, they sure put a lot of effort into policing the superstructure."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Lol.

This is on the level of "thing happened when ruler was alive therefore caused by ruler" In fact Cixi had little influence over the training practices of the Beiyang Fleet* or customs officials in the south. Both those organizations were under the personal control of regional governors.The Qing state was a mess. Cixi may not have been literally a demon but she was undoubtedly a cruel woman devoted first and foremost to maintaining her personal station in life. It's hard to see how anyone could have salvaged the Qing government by the 1870s, but she was definitely not the right person for the job.

* there's nothing wrong with the practice of hanging laundry lines from the gun barrels. Drying clothes in preposterous places is a time-honored naval tradition. Buying shells made of cement was a more serious problem.

Yeah, everything was being managed as ad hoc initiatives on a regional basis and managed by individual governors with little central coordination (this was a big step up from the 1850's when things weren't being managed at all). I heard an unverified anecdote that at some point during the Sino-French war, the French captured a ship, then got a letter from the Beiyang navy asking for it back. As far as they were concerned, only the Nanyang fleet was at war with France.

• Locked thread