Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The funniest thing to me is there is a traffic cop in an elevated booth in basically every intersection futility gesturing at passing motorists who are completely disregarding their presence and doing their own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

ddiddles posted:

Why does everything in China look like they've never seen one of these:

I was at a newish hotel in Guilin earlier this year which had been modeled after some Renaissance hotel. The rooms were nice looking on the surface but like everything in China, just a little bit broken. There was a lovely glass-walled bathroom separated into a toilet area and a stall area with a raised slate center and drainage rim around it. The rim and toilet area was slightly sloped so that the runoff water would feed into a drain set between the sink and the toilet.

Unfortunately, the drain in my room was clogged and I couldn't turn the water on more than a third without the water backing up and overflowing out into the room.

In my friend's room the layout was exactly the same but the drain was in the far corner instead of between the stall and the toilet. The sloping was the same so there was basically no drainage at all - he had to wedge a towel in so that it wouldn't overflow into the room.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Fojar38 posted:

this is basically china.txt

all those skyscrapers might look great all lit up at night and poo poo but that disguises the fact that most of them are made of paper
I spent 3 weeks in China + Tibet and I completely agree - every hotel I stayed at looked nice on the surface but was clearly thrown together.

The funniest thing was that they had hedgerows on all the streets in the countryside so that you couldn't see the million ghost cities from the road. Because out of sight, out of mind. Except that you could of course see the top 10 stories of the dozen empty shells of buildings as you drove past.

Probably the saddest thing was the "build it and they will come" mentality. Guilin was completely built up with a brand new highway to a brand new rail line and a huge meticulously landscaped visitor's center which was 100% deserted, but several people assured me that they were going to be the next big hotspot because they were practically in <x big city's> backyard. That sentiment was repeated in several places but Guilin was the worst.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 17, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Speaking of trees China just LOVES planting the things. They plant them to try and halt erosion or to undo the damage industrialization caused and when I was in Tibet, they planted a million trees along the river just outside of Lhasa:

It doesn't show very well in this picture but all the trees are identical and are planted in super neat orderly rows and in a grid pattern. It looks really horrible and fake. I took a few pictures trying to capture how dumb it looked but none of them turned out very well. It basically looks like this:

Just hundreds and hundreds of square KM of that.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Well, you have terraforming unintended consequences and a complete lack of biodiversity because it's just a single type of fast-growing non-native tree. Basically known reforestation concerns that were identified and mitigated decades ago by responsible forestry departments but in the normal Chinese spirit they're just going to plow ahead with the plan even though the results are uncertain.

I can tell you that a quarter of the trees I saw in Lhasa were dead or dying because they're using it to try and make the river more consistent but the drat thing expands and contracts like the nile. All the trees in that pic were in a grid, the empty spaces are where the trees have been washed away.

The first article talks about their reclamation efforts elsewhere which don't seem to be doing too well, either:

quote:

In contrast to successful attempts elsewhere to halt deforestation or replace recently felled trees, most of China’s planting is on long-barren land. Much is of non-native pines and poplars, which are easy to grow and produce wood that can quickly be sold as paper pulp or planks. The result is an “ecological mismatch”, says Jiang Hong of the University of Hawaii.

Just 15% of trees planted on China’s drylands since 1949 survive today, estimates Cao Shixiong of Beijing Forestry University. Many died of age, as those grown from cuttings (as most are) only have a lifespan of around four decades. But many were simply unsuited to the soil. Monocultures are prone to disease. In Ningxia, in northwest China, a pest wiped out 1 billion poplar trees in 2000—two decades of planting efforts. In arid areas trees may even aggravate desertification by depleting groundwater and killing grasses that bind the soil.

tl;dr: Yep. And doesn't work. And they've been trying the same thing for 60 years.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 17, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Street pooping, street peeing, people spitting everywhere, holes in the ground for public toilets, that's just how it is. People are still friendly, even if you are a walking attraction because of being american (and taller than basically everyone by default). The food roulette is fun if you go in not knowing a single character except for the one for 'beef'.

My friends and I went into this one place. They didn't really have menus, so we weren't sure how to order. They brought us to the back with basically the entire restaurant staring at us and there was a line of cooks behind plastic with gigantic woks on 2 foot flames and we just pointed to what looked good. It was the best food of the entire trip.

The meal was $12 american total for 4 of us including beers (70 yuan or so).

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Watching that video I just got a blast of remembered Beijing smell. The smog has this grit on your tongue, this taste in the back of your throat.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

icantfindaname posted:

Too late, they already destroyed them all
The terracotta warrior museum in Xi'an had a bunch of displays that said the site was discovered by some peasant but they have almost no artifacts from the first few pits they dug because people would just paw through and take what they wanted.

The museum in Lhasa was filled with "peaceful Chinese liberation" this and "glorious revolution" that; there was a huge display of jade that was gifted to Tibet from various emperors I guess before the Chinese decided they wanted that stuff back and came to take it. The other displays were filled with "This is how the peasants live!" and my guide said she grew up in a kitchen exactly like the diorama and had ceremonial clothes just like the mannequins were wearing. It must have been really weird to have your life on display behind glass in a museum.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 26, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
To be fair to Mao, it did work out in the end. Chinese population doubled, minus 5% due to famine, and once he was marginalized they had all those extra hands to fuel a massive production which pulled hundreds of millions of people out of poverty and made them a first world nation.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
All first world nations get their own GBS threads, that's the definition of a first world nation.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I still can't believe 1/3rd of all medicine is counterfeit. Like, that's a loving national crisis right there.

And it makes it even worse since all drugstores are nation-owned!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

caberham posted:

But Hong Kong cops are absolutely terrified of speaking English and dealing with white people :ohdear:
Why is this?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Someone started a fire in a skyscraper in Beijing with some fireworks. Whoops!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
My one regret as I ate my way through China last fall was that I didn't take pictures of all my food because I didn't want to look like a douchebag. So for even the things I found delicious, there's no way to ever order again. It was good, not anything like american Chinese food, but I suspect you can probably get it if you know exactly what to order. If you're on a coast or in a big city, at least.

Most of the food was pretty damned good, but what amazed me the most was how CHEAP everything was. I ate in mostly random restaurants, but the only touristy place was this duck place in Beijing, where I guess my duck was numbered? It was pretty weird

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I got my picture taken in the same place with probably the exact same yak.

On the path down to the water there are a bunch of little cute friendly baby goats a taked out along the path with no one in sight. So naturally you pet the goat, take a picture, maybe get a pic hugging the goat or something.

30 seconds later a Tibetan runs up to you and demands money for taking pictures of their goat. If you refuse they scream and harass you all the way down the path. Most people just pay to get them to leave them alone. It's a good little scam.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
waitwhatnoyou'lldie

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Yeah but crocodiles/alligators are dinosaurs so awesome they didn't need to change. Birds are fuckin chumps compared to them.

They are so awesome they don't have anything to prove. They're happy to just sit and chill and be happy knowing if they felt like it or if you got too close you'd be out a limb.

Swans on the other hand have absolutely everything to prove to anyone who will listen and especially anyone nearby.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Monkey Fracas posted:

If your hotel is near a major-ish road then I hope you find car honking soothing
It was pretty bad in China but nothing like South America

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

hailthefish posted:

But then they might have to leave the tour group and even interact with locals dirty foreigners!

Also pay more money for food which just won't do

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I flew internally twice in china and got wing seats each time, the first there was a whole bunch of tape holding wing panels closed, the second there were wing plates completely missing and I could see the wing's wiring and flap solenoids

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I had normal poop in China. Were you eating stuff cooked in sewer oil or something?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Also, Chinese women are baby crazy, the entire culture is centered around having and rearing children so if you're thinking you can go and just get married and be childless and enjoy the free life I've got some bad news for you.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

computer parts posted:

That juxtaposition between new construction and crumbling buildings is everywhere in China. I wish I could find pics of where I was but we took an hour long bus ride and the whole way through the countryside was those same images.

Did you notice the tall hedgerows planted along the road in an attempt to hide it all from casual drivers by?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
people staring, getting their picture taken with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

It seems like a deus ex machina anyway - the idea of anything important about space launch vehicle technology remaining secret between superpowers is sort of naive. They story needed a mechanism by which to solve an impossible problem so the author made some poo poo up.
I didn't see the movie, but there was nothing secret in the book - just a normal, sister space program that had it's own fully-booked launch schedule. There was a scene with a bunch of sad scientists and their payload sitting in a warehouse for the foreseeable future because their rocket was absconded by politics and horse trading for a seat on the next mars mission.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 3, 2016

• Locked thread