Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

She has an umbrella in her hand, it is an exhibit somewhere. It looks like a quarter inch of glue on the plate too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

That is surprisingly neat. Need some pics of HK island or Mongkok electrical wiring, it is amazingly hosed up at times. Google search only finds the tidy ones, the real masterpieces are elaborate 3-dimensional works of art that are difficult to photograph well.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 16, 2015

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Almost all HK taxi drivers run their own private service, the Android phone with the orange circle is one of the new apps like Uber and shows the taxi is unavailable.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

whip posted:

Why all the sleeping nets?

My wife just bought Snail White. Some kind of snail goo with whitening cream.

The windows are never sealed well, mosquitos will always get through.

Snail poo is really popular at the moment, South Korea is selling a lot of the weird stuff, not forgetting bird phlegm (bird's nest), snake and bee venom.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 25, 2015

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Wow, I remember this from years ago and it was constantly over TV in HK, so cute. One youtube comment says 2001?

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 26, 2015

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Modest Mao posted:

That's not true also this just happened an hour ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fWhYJNZt08

If the plane malfunctioned that is pretty amazing flying to avoid the high rise, road and land in the river.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Neurophonic posted:

BBC Four had a pretty good, candid and frankly grim documentary on a mayor of a town in China last night. It's called Bulldozers, Paving Stones and Power: The Chinese Mayor if you want to look it up.

Essentially shows how even the people that try to do good (albeit in a very stupid way) get shat on.

here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjjL8XAEmQ0

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Drone_Fragger posted:

Basically if you're going to use a chinese supplier of anything you really need to press for quality assurance and repeatability over pure cost or you will end up with some absolute shite.

You have to do QA yourself, absolutely everyone else will be bribed.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Willfrey posted:

Poor monkey :( Almost as bad as working at Foxconn

So Foxconn have pretty much the best working conditions in China, just imagine the paradise of working for Lenovo or Samsung would be.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

A Jupiter posted:

EDIT: another video on his channel of the inside of a Chinese IKEA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHCavsC1ofE

They sell the food at cost, similarly in HK the restaurant is packed because it is so cheap. They actually expanded the restaurant a couple of times to accommodate more people (MegaBox).

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

Imagine that for your whole life the city you live and work in smells like poo poo.

well it already smells of pee so adding poo poo doesn't change much.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Anidav posted:

So what you're saying is Chinese people cannot fathom going inside a bathroom and instead pee outside or on the door of one?

that's the great citizens of new york, enjoy the aroma stepping down into any subway station.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Groovelord Neato posted:

Um why wouldn't you take a shower in the morning.

If your climate is hot and sticky taking a shower at night is more conducive to a cleaner and better sleep.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

caberham posted:

The only passable dim sum place in north America that I tried is the kirin restaurant in Vancouver. San Francisco, Calgary, Chicago (lol), L.A., Toronto. Nope.

There's an Aberdeen restaurant in White Plains, just north of NYC, pretty good. The ones I liked in Manhattan all closed out, there is Cha Chang Tang for Canto-food which is not unreasonable. Honolulu Cafe can be found in both Vancouver and San Francisco and has good tea, that's about it.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I had Asian friends in Korea who didn't speak Korean and everyone was mindblown

Worst was if you were Korean-American and insufficiently Korean

I have witnessed a Hong Kong person being shouted down in Shanghai for not being Chinese because she could not speak fluent Mandarin, asked her to speak in English instead.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Tupperwarez posted:

Comedy answer:
The so-called foreign 'language' is merely a series of strange noises that foreigners seem to think mean something. Simply follow the script regurgitated by our authentic foreign noise dispenser, and you can get more business and increase your salary.

If only this was true, the HKLC in Wanchai has way too many teachers that live by wrote learning but they're using a tape recorder from the past. They insist of dictating a form of Cantonese no one actually speaks. Considering Hongkong style of not following rules by all means possible it is hilarious how strict this schools methods are.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I presume there are apps to do this? There is an entire pop music video from South Korean Horan with similar styled sequences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAAmrFxJACI

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

burritolingus posted:

That is how I've heard it. That and some people feign injury then claim the person helping them pushed them to get money because a judge ruled helping a stranger is a sign of guilt or something. Also you aren't supposed to pick up lost wallets or things because the owner could have left it there as a trap so they could claim you robbed them then demand payment for silence.

The income gap is so huge that people have become really adept at playing people for any amount of money. I remember on a short trip through Shanghai a family would be begging, not just regular pan handling but removing all the clothes from their children and getting them to run and literally throw themselves completely prostrate on the floor in front of tourists. Definitely an alarming experience.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The BBC noted that with the announcement there were a huge "audience" at the Birds Nest stadium ready to celebrate. There were no actual members of public allowed in.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Tuxedo Gin posted:

lol a woman dares to touch a guy with her breast and he responds by doing this:

pretty hosed up imho. peep the video in that link.

Don't really see much in the video, looks a very weak case to bring to court, the Taiwanese take a good version of it though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB4ZKRxzz3U

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Tell me more Great Rene how you cannot channel the Chinese spirit and learn written Chinese yourself.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

For a culture that loves money so much this was a nice sign of humanity. He did turn less creepy at the end though.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I'm not sure a lot of people can read or write that place name. A competition for highest stroke count?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Imperialist Dog posted:

Peking's influence continues to grow, however

It is the location of this that makes it look even more comical than it already is.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Or a gas leak?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

A car is supposed to crumple and absorb the energy from the impact, otherwise that bicyclist would be deader than dead.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

If they fired big blobs of paint they could have a big dad's paintball session.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

DetroitVectorSmooth posted:

does india have people drying dog pelts under a bridge in tyool 2015?

They look rather gnarly, what do they end up as?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

China exported products are quite frequently very well made: almost any IT product is made in Canton, the important distinction is products for domestic usage which are so frequently cheap copies with substandard if not hazardous components.

Retailers are always forcing cheaper prices which for the garment industry has meant looking at Brazil, India, French-Indochina region at cheaper cost but also significantly worse quality.

• Locked thread