Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

BCR posted:

Having visited Beijing and north east cities, how does Taipei compare for nature and greenery?

Like national parks, easy to get too green spaces. Beijing just hits me as brown, grey and dusty.

Am i right in thinking its a moped ride away in Taipei?

Taipei is surrounded by forested hills and mountains, Yangmingshan is a national park nearby.

Or you can take the subway one stop past the Taipei 101 building station and hike Elephant Mountain.

This is good, because you might not want to be on a moped in Taiwan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMHjqgB7MCw

Having the "popular in Taiwan" youtube channel show up on my Youtube is pretty awful, most days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

But sometimes it's kinda pretty good. You will want your sound for this one.

"stupid women rider REMIX"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXj6V9U73J8

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

simplefish posted:

What is not normal about these? Have I been here too long?

I was thinking the same thing, but also including the fake construction worker arm waver guy.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

opus111 posted:

there's tonnes of nature in HK, brah.

HK has some parks and hills and beaches and poo poo, but I never really saw grass and trees just growin on tops of buildings.

Sorry I live in Taiwan so no dystopian urban hellscapes for you guys here.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Frostwerks posted:

has anyone been to the taiwanese national parks? i been checking their wikipedia and webpage and they look loving impressive. taroko natl park looks really primo in fact

The 7-Eleven at Alishan is nice.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

where the gently caress do these trees come from i always wonder.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

more like gayture

I got your gayture right here.

Horatius Bonar fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 17, 2015

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

JaucheCharly posted:

Btw, why whitening cream?

Asia is opposite land, so white people tan, and Asian people whiten.

It's to make sure the yin and yang of the world is balanced.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

No joke check Craigslist for being white in China jobs.

The amount of "NEEDED 30 - 60 white man with beard" ads is above zero.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Wonders such as

The jadeitite cabbage.

The meat shaped stone.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Fartmaster posted:

:china:

I have never heard of this before in my life, and thanks to you, I will never forget.

I've seen both and I'd say the Mona Lisa is over rated.

The meat shaped stone is properly rated.

Also the cabbage has two bugs on it and lol if saw it and you didn't see both. Go back and look again.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Angela Christine posted:

Is it a rock that was carved to look like meat, or just a rock somebody dug up and thought looked like meat. If the rock looks like meat naturally, is this proof that god(s) exist and like to play pranks on starving peasants?

That's part of the mystery of the meat shaped stone.

(the skin was carved and stained. http://www.npm.gov.tw/en/Article.aspx?sNo=04001103 - also close ups of it where it looks really tasty. Seriously it looks 100 percent like the giant hunks of stewed bacon you can get in China)

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

I taught English in Taiwan.

The worst question you could ask a kid is "why?". Complete incomprehension.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

JaucheCharly posted:

That article. Lol. So, I was asking myself what a Pangolin is.

I wonder if they also stun the owls with a hammer, or just use a cleaver to cut off their heads.

Ever since I saw Pangolin on a menu I wondered how they prepared it. It just seems aggressively inedible. Thanks guys for clearing that up.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Tupperwarez posted:

This is the basic translation process in China:
1. Look up foreign word in dictionary. Quality and age of dictionary is irrelevant.
2. Take the first synonym you find. The first one, no matter what it is, because it's obviously the best one. Why else would it be listed first?
3. Move on to the next word in the sentence. Repeat until you have run through the entire text.
Optional: Once text is finished, move words around so that they make a little more sense. (Spoiler: The translator will never be paid enough for this to happen.)

You will notices that most Chinagoon anecdotes are about nasty air, watery shits, constant staring, street making GBS threads, and repeatedly being HALLO-ed at. This is because about 85% of Chinagoons live in peasant-infested, grey-skied armpits, for some reason.

The fungus is actually called Jew's Ear in English, what would you call it?

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

anyone who thinks this thread is casually racist has clearly never been to China. shits like, professionally racist there.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Blistex posted:

moon cakes.

tell me you only buy those as obligatory gifts and not for personal consumption.

moon cakes are the fruit cake of asia.

caberham posted:

I have been to China, live in China, and work in China. I still think this thread is casually racist.
I haven't seen the word locust used in this thread even once.

Horatius Bonar fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 13, 2015

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Admiral Bosch posted:

this thread is doing a pretty good job of making china look like a shithole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Magna Kaser posted:

That's a big chain that originated in Taiwan. They serve you curry in a plate shaped like a squat toilet.

I never went there because i heard the food was poo poo.

I guess it never took off on the mainland since they didn't serve it on a plate shaped like a sidewalk.

• Locked thread