Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Blistex posted:

When I was living in Zhong Jie (older downtown neighborhood) in Shenyang they were doing a shitload of demolitions and construction before the Olympics came to town.

How did you like living in Shenyang? I have the impression that it is analogous to Pittsburgh (i.e. a post-industrial city trying to reinvent itself). Any reason why you chose to live there rather than a more livable city like Dalian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Baddog posted:

I miss milk tea. Its just condensed milk and black tea right? I can't seem to get it to taste anywhere near the same.

try either DEHP, styrene, acetophenone, or maleic acid for that authentic flavor

quote:

Tapioca pearls, milk powder, and juice syrups have in the past been found to contain banned chemical additives. In May 2011, a food scandal broke out in Taiwan where DEHP (a chemical plasticizer and potential carcinogen used to make plastic) was found as a stabilizer in drinks and juice syrups. Some of these products may have been exported and used in bubble tea shops around the world. DEHP can affect hormone balances.[7][8] In June 2011, the Health Minister of Malaysia, Liow Tiong Lai, instructed companies selling "Strawberry Syrup", a material used in some bubble teas, to stop selling them after chemical tests showed they were tainted with a carcinogen identified as DEHP.[9]

In August 2012, scientists from the Technical University of Aachen (RWTH) in Germany analyzed bubble tea samples within a research project to look for allergenic substances. The result indicated that the products contain styrene, acetophenone and brominated substances.[10][11] The report was published by German newspaper Rheinische Post and caused Taiwan's representative office in Germany to issue a statement, saying food items in Taiwan are monitored.[12] Taiwan's Food and Drug Administration confirmed in September that in a second round of tests conducted by German authorities, Taiwanese bubble tea was found to be free of cancer-causing chemicals. The products were also found to contain no excessive levels of heavy-metal contaminants or other health-threatening agents.[13]

In May 2013 the Taiwan Food and Drug Administration issued an alert on the detection of maleic acid, an unapproved food additive, in some food products, including tapioca pearls.[14] The Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore conducted its own tests and found additional brands of tapioca pearls and some other starch-based products sold in Singapore were similarly affected.[15]

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Red Bones posted:

I used to come home from a night out drinking and watch the NHK World channel online, which is nothing but very relaxing programs about things like the Japanese countryside, fishing, or what everyone is having for lunch over there. Its the chillest poo poo.

NHK World had the most relaxing music for its weather segment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7VrBGOA8rw

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

This woman is offering to marry anyone who can pay her brother's medical expenses.

:smith:

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

hydo posted:

ha-LEE-sko is how we've always pronounced it - or is that my family adding unnecessary Texasese to it?

Yeah, that's the Mexican pronunciation on Forvo.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Blistex posted:

Pretty awkward gaming phone.

Nice choice using 1943 to market a product to a Chinese audience.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Tarkus posted:

As an odd aside, I find that Chinese products are getting better but they just won't go the extra 10-15% of the way there to make their product stand out or even be usable. It's like they're so busy making clones of stuff that when they do make something unique or of value, they just won't spend any time whatsoever to make it good, even when they're sooooo close.

Some examples:

The $600 Changhong 4k TV. The fit and finish on the unit is nice and the picture isn't bad however, the image processor is some old thing that can't process the pixels quickly enough making almost any resolution useless for any purpose. Super laggy, complete fail. After looking it up, an extra $5 would've made all the difference. Had they added a few finishing touches the unit would be worth an additional $200 out of the gate but they insist on being in the cheap+fail department.

The JXD android handheld emulator machines. These handheld devices have come a long way. For the price the hardware is pretty good and works rather well, however the software is buggy and lovely to the point of being unusable. Why not simply spend a little bit of time working on the software rather than hardware revisions?

The CHMER Electrical discharge machine. Beautiful machine, everything has nice fit and finish and works really well however, again, the software is a bodged together pile of crap. For a $200,000 dollar machine, everything is nice except the software, which is actually DOS software. I have no idea why.

To be fair, the Germans actually win the prize for the absolute worst software as far as I'm concerned but I always wonder why these Chinese companies can spin out 8000 hardware revisions but never work on the core of what makes their product.

差不多 ("good enough") is leading philosophy of Chinese business

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
Eagle hunting festival in Xinjiang

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

WarpedNaba posted:

What's the word the Chinese use for their oligarchs? The Japanese had their Zaibatsu/Keiretsu, the Koreans have their Chaebol, the Chinese...?

Historically, it would be 行 (hòng in Cantonese, háng in Mandarin). Nowadays there really isn't an equivalent. State owned enterprises are comparable but they don't have the conglomerate-style diversified interests in many fields.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

onemanlan posted:

Chinese students kicked out of Model UN after becoming upset that Taiwan is listed as a country rather than a region of PRC.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/chinese-students-were-kicked-harvards-145125237.html

Modeling real life.

lol at the quotes Forbes sourced from renren:

quote:

The following day, as the quarrel escalated, the American organizers decided to call security and remove some of the Chinese delegates from the conference, which was held at the Sheraton Hotel in Boston.

The Chinese had become a “security risk” and the organization committee “felt uncomfortable about their presence”, one of the Chinese participants wrote in a post on the Renren social networking site, which is popular among Chinese students.

“Even though now I am more than 100 miles away from the scene, as I am sitting on my bed in the hotel room, I can still feel the blood rushing to my head,” she wrote.

“So this is America’s so-called freedom, its so called freedom of speech and freedom of movement. So these are the human rights that America is preaching every day — but where are those rights now?

“America’s democracy, freedom and human rights are only for Americans; they have nothing to do with you Chinese folks.

“Americans treat you with bias if you are Chinese. Being Chinese just won’t do. This is a fact.”

The writer was identified by China’s state controlled newspaper Global Times as Deng Bingyu, a student from Xi’an-based Northwest Polytechnical University in Shaanxi Province.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Frog Act posted:

youd have to be really flipping your poo poo to get removed from a hotel like that, i love that tehy just immediately chalk it up to anti chinese sentiment

i was listening to an episode of sinica recently and they made a joke about how the chinese word for "Chinese person" or whatever reflects the sort of rampant cultural chauvinism characteristic of the han view. what word were they talking about or am i just wrong

You're thinking of something else. The demonym for a Chinese person in Mandarin is literally China (中国) person (人) 中国人。

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Nauta posted:

if you dont drink at least a liter (f u caveman americans) of milk a day your a bitch

Galactose in milk causes a lot of oxidative stress and may accelerate aging. :(

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Blistex posted:

People were filling cargo containers with milk powder from Australia and New Zealand and making a fortune when the milk scare was at its height. A big container that would go for $20 USD would sell easily for 2-3x that. Chinese parents are still willing to pay a good premium to make sure baby formula doesn't kill their kids, even though some of the culprits were executed and testing happens on a daily basis.

Edit: The problem is that Chinese suppliers are willing to risk a lot to make another 1% profit. Guy I knew who had a laminate flooring factory in a Chinese prison was talking about a guy who had a supplier in China he contracted to make oil pipe parts. They sign the contract, the guy produces a batch, and they all pass inspection. A month later the next shipment isn't to spec and are useless. The metal is wrong, the fasteners are the wrong size, and the holes for bolts are in the wrong place. He drives to the factory to talk to the boss and it's closed. They're not making poo poo. The boss is in his office and with the exception of himself and his secretary, the factory is abandoned. Seems he subcontracted the work out to someone cheaper. They hop in the car, go to the subcontractor's factory, and same thing! He subcontracted it out to some other place.

The same thing happened with those Fischer Price toys with the toxic paint. The initial factory started cheaping out and subcontracting the paint. They got screwed over when their subcontractor subbed it out again, and the supplier they got gave them lead paint.

Paul Midler's book Poorly Made in China documents this exact scenario happening to some American sucker trying to have soap produced. It's a great read.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Professor Shark posted:

Are there any documentaries on Chinese business practices that I could watch? Also, that BBC Chinese episode is down, anyone have a link to it?

Here's all you need to know about KTV.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

waitwhatno posted:

I'm gonna be the idea man, if you do the ppt presentations

tokenized product codes; slap one outside on the box to scan with your smartphone, slap one inside the box. the one inside the box can only be checked once and is invalidated after that. it also tells you what randomised hidden dye they added to this box, if you want to go the extra mile and buy their patented chemical dye reagent set. website for all of this is hosted in the us.

I think this is doable with costs <1000$ per box of powder. any investors?

there's already something similar for bottled water where each jug is serialized

http://www.beijing-kids.com/blog/charcey/2012/01/30/Purified-Water-Fake-or-Real

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

etalian posted:

Also a lot of the government employees had expense trips to China to manage the project (aka helping chinese hooker economy)

Just like what happened with Lancaster mayor Rex Parris and the BYD electric bus contract:

quote:

Parris, who says Chinese economic reformer Deng Xiaoping is his personal hero, ordered the city staff to take Mandarin lessons and personally flew to China several times to court BYD and other firms.

"The day of America ruling the world is over, just over," Parris said. "If we're going to compete we'll have to start treating other countries respectfully and we really haven't, especially Asian countries. They're doing us a favor. We're not doing them the favor. We're the ones who need the jobs."

and then this occurs

quote:

In October 2013, investigators for the California Labor Commissioner's Office acting on a tip conducted a surprise inspection of BYD's facilities in Los Angeles and Lancaster. Based on that inspection and resulting interviews, the office slapped nearly $100,000 worth of fines on BYD for a combination of minimum wage, pay stub and rest break violations.

But worse than any fine was the narrative building from the incident: a Chinese company given government money to create American jobs is instead flying in temporary Chinese laborers and paying them pennies.

The earliest allegations regarding BYD underpaying its Chinese workers originated in a lawsuit filed by Sandra Itkoff, BYD America's former vice president of strategy. After being fired from BYD in 2012, Itkoff sued the company for wrongful termination and discrimination. In a written complaint filed one month before the commissioner office's inspection, Itkoff claimed that she'd been excluded from all-Chinese staff meetings, that BYD buses were riddled with safety issues, and that BYD brought cheap labor from China to its Los Angeles headquarters, paying workers $5,000 to $8,000 per year.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Loqieu posted:

I know a woman named Chanel and another one named Ice.

Chinese beer sucks, but every place seems to carry Heineken anyway. Cheap baijiu, which might make you blind, is where it's at though.

jinjiu > baijiu

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Accretionist posted:

Monkey undergoing circus training :smith:

I can only begin to imagine the terror that those monkeys experience daily in Chinese zoos. :smith:

I'm sure poo poo like this happens way more often.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Disco Infiva posted:

I wonder if Pandas are endangered because Chinese ate them all.

They don't taste very good apparently.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Zipline posted:

So China's always had a lot of people. Some funny things came from this. For example, did you know that in Imperial China rocks were more valuable than people? Slight exaggeration, but only slight. You've all seen pics of trebuchets like this

Counterweight trebuchets are also notable because they are responsible for the fall of the Song Dynasty. The Mongols couldn't end the siege of Xiangyang that was going on for years until they got Persian engineers to build fuckoff huge ones that could lob a 300 kg projectile from half a kilometer away.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

JaucheCharly posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ukh4rvtLOo

Are there any notable chinese inventions or products of the last 2 decades? I don't mean office chairs that explode into your rear end in a top hat or formula with melamine.

Modern ecigarettes were brought to market by a Chinese pharmacist who lost his father to lung cancer. However, he wasn't the first to invent it. The idea was patented in US in the 60s.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

THE PENETRATOR posted:

so what i'm getting from this thread is that chinks are hosed up retards that i shouldn't trust with anything

here's a cool book for you to read

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Larry Parrish posted:

but instead they are just Yellow Jews who cant help but pinch pennies. lol.

It's interesting how China takes old negative Jewish stereotypes and spins them into positive things to be emulated. Theres a ton of Chinese self-help books about "secret" Jewish business practices to get rich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea0KOHt7eXI

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Zzulu posted:

i just realized i have no idea who the leader of china is

For the record, it is Xi Jinping

i have learned something today

Remember, it's not Eleven Jinping.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
Don't know what to do with undeliverable international mail? Just start selling it on the street.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

My Chinese is pretty elementary. What do the LED placards say? I get the gist of it as

"中华文明生生不息" = Chinese civilization grows unceasingly
"中华少年志存高远" = Chinese youth aspires to reach lofty new heights

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

waitwhatno posted:

they aren't, goons are just a bunch of pussies.

for comparison, here are some non-pussified "chinese" kids wrestling with a baby bear for fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvMv9tM-0UA

1997 in russia was hosed up dude lmfao

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

simplefish posted:

I lived in a town with a massive swan population and never got attacked. Then went to a university with a lake, and while some of the geese were belligerent bell ends, I never had issues with the swans.

How the hell is there this much swan hate?

birds are terrifying

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
Here's a Thai lady getting really pissed off at Chinese tourists.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10155344723750650

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

icantfindaname posted:

i guess this is korea but it says china does the same thing? holy poo poo what a bunch of retards

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/21/nyregion/despite-warnings-asian-immigrants-rely-on-glucose-injections-as-a-cure-for-ailments.html

despite being literally no different than just drinking a can of loving soda, I still believe in the magic power of black market glucose IV that can possibly/probably cause all your limbs to be amputated by septic shock. only use them if you're really tired guys!!!!!!!

ivs are also good for students cramming for the college entrance exam

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

angel opportunity posted:

eat melon seeds and kan re nao , becourse if something very interesting to watch , you want to have a snack

The problem with eating melon seeds is that your teeth end up looking like this

瓜子牙 is no joke

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

monkeytennis posted:

Never mind that, what the gently caress is Jews Ear Juice??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auricularia_auricula-judae

Its name in Chinese, 黑木耳 (literally black wood ear), is also a slang term for a vulva.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Moridin920 posted:

They've already got a wooden one. I don't know if this is an upgrade or not.

At least the wooden one can move around I guess but on the other hand it is a wooden aircraft carrier.

Wait, what? Did Xi retrofit a flight deck on the Marble Boat?

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Mons Hubris posted:

They tried to do it like a traditional Mongolian wedding and some Dutch TV show was there filming it. We had to drive an hour into the grasslands, and a lot of the wedding party were staying in yurts nearby. There were guys playing the horse head instrument for music the whole time, and the ceremony involved the groom having to perform feats like carving the kneecap off of a lamb and smashing a clay pot full of mare milk liquor, which everyone then had to drink with the bride and groom. All the local ranchers and herders were invited to participate in wrestling, archery, and horseback riding contests to win a camel, and the night concluded with a rap concert and fashion show. One of the weirdest days of my life.

There was a cool thread a million years ago where a goon's brother got married in Mongolia. I wish the pictures were still up.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Sheep-Goats posted:

The only reason that English is popular is that the UK lead the world in science and maritime trade leading up to WWII and then the US dominated the world financially from WWII to now (with the UK stodging around in the number two slot as is more historically usual).

World War I and anti-German sentiment had a huge effect on the rise of English as the dominant language in science. Here's a short interesting article on it by PRI.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

BigBoss posted:

Probably due to the fact it's a culturally acceptable vice, whereas think like narcotics are super taboo and sex/eroticism aren't as prevalent as it is in other cultures.

lmao if you actually think this. Roughly ten percent of Dongguan was involved in the sex trade before the government cracked down.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

angel opportunity posted:

why foreigner all like hamburger and other junk foodses such as: sandwich?

Trick question. Rou jia mo dates back to the Qin dynasty and is an inalienable part of Chinese culture. Foreigners, while unsightly in their overconsumption, are just trying to catch up to the thousands of years Chinese spent enjoying sandwiches.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

and this is how they were able to fund it

http://online.thatsmags.com/post/did-swindled-africans-pay-for-chinas-6400-strong-tour-group-to-france

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Third World Reggin posted:

did we just find a chinese three olives

http://shanghaiist.com/2015/05/18/online-backlash-18yo-boasts-about-natural-features.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBYVc8083PM

cool pov of the approach at 4:11

• Locked thread