Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

serious norman posted:

:stare: Are those enormous thumbs in the middle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blpe_sGnnP4

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Just wanted this on the first page so all the other pages don't have to do descriptions.

Chinatown posted:

I honestly don't understand the problem with this. Lots of places in the world sell meat like this.

Also it all looks extremely fresh.

I didn't say there was a problem with it, you gotta do what you gotta do, and some of that was butchered near the end of the building there. However most of those tables are wood and are not cleaned very well and there are definite hygienic problems with selling meat this way. It doesn't matter how "fresh" your beef is if you throw it on a wooden table full of scratches, old congealed blood, surfaces that unwashed exterior parts of the animal have contacted, there's no differentiation between which animal's parts go where, etc.

China is the only place I've been where I had the shits at least once a week and I lived in Southeast Asia for two years. There are definite food hygiene issues there.

TOILETLORD posted:

will chinese dudes gently caress anything breathing with a vagina just wondering how desperate their male population is.

I was told China recently legislated handys to not be "sex" and therefore a little JO after your massage isn't prostitution. This may not be accurate, but that has little to do with the steady massage business in China.

raton fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 12, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Y'all bigeye niggas mighty easy to troll n awful short on china.jpg

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Wow look at this guy failing to keep up with the arbitrarily shifting tides of the Something Awful forums, what a homo.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

MrMoo posted:

She has an umbrella in her hand, it is an exhibit somewhere. It looks like a quarter inch of glue on the plate too.

It's real food with sauce dude. Not normal Asian food but food that was made in Asia. Also because it looks like sushi that means it probably wasn't made in China and therefore doesn't belong in china.jpg

E: ^^ sounds about right

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef_BznBwktw

raton fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 13, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Top City Homo posted:

imo this is an environmentally socially positive car.

1.) it kills bad drivers taking them off the road or making them drive more cautiously
2.) the car compacts itself into a easy to handle cube for easy recycling

China Public Relations I am available for full time

TIA

Can I convert the engine to run on gutter oil?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

close but its not quite that they make a career out of it, because if you are just one guy jumping in front of a car obviously everyone is just going to drive away, dash cam or not

its organized crime getting the newer/stupider/worthless members to do the deed so that as soon as it happens, his associates slide up to the drivers window and extort money to "make all this trouble go away"

e: i dont really understand why russian and chinese gangsters are such pussies though, like they have guns and poo poo why dont they just steal the car and all the guys money/phone/etc and sell it?

Selling a stolen car takes time, VIN counterfeiting tech, and most of the time these days the ability to ship them to another country. Extortion is easy money and your crew can do it over and over whereas selling the poo poo would take twice as many people twice as much time.

Thank you for posting china.jpg in the china.jpg thread!

raton fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 16, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Accretionist posted:

From what I gather, the niceness goes [ Taiwan > Hong Kong > Mainland ] and Hong Kong's not bad.

Taiwan > Hong Kong > Most of the Capital Cities in South America > Shanghai > Beijing > A Goblin Camp in Lord of the Rings > Actual Mainland China

If you hate nature and love money and don't care about art then you might put HK over Taiwan.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

opus111 posted:

there's tonnes of nature in HK, brah.

Yet if you're the sort of person who hates nature you may rank Hong Kong ahead of Taiwan, this weird but true fact that

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I've seen that cabbage and while it's pretty cool it's a little basic -- like I can imagine my dad taking a sculpting class and picking out a stone from the pile and deciding to carve it into a cabbage because the bottom is white and the top is green. Like a cabbage.

The grasshoppers legs on it are also a little blocky but whatever. If it didn't have the pedigree to be priceless most Chinese people would walk right past it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Aero737 posted:

If they are mainland this is going to be such a shitstorm

What are we supposed to be seeing here?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

pentyne posted:

That could always be applied to most cultures. There are always a few extremely smart people who do not succeed in traditional academic environments but can self teach themselves a trade like programming, web design, etc. and be loving amazing at it. I knew a guy in high school who graduated with a 1.8 g.p.a, and he scored a 1540 on his SATs (when the max was 1600) and got a perfect math score. He took the score around to his teachers and flat out told them "Look, I cannot make myself interested in this class, but I'm really loving smart, just let me do the bare minimum and coast through, I'm joining the military when I graduate" and they didn't give him any poo poo after that.

The second half of the thing you wrote there however can't be applied to some cultures. China is one of them.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Monkey Fracas posted:

In Hong Kong like every store has a bunch of powdered baby formula out front- you're allowed to take a certain amount of it over the border back into China.

So I guess people still don't really trust the baby formula, despite the executions.

Many Asian supermarkets in American Chinatowns have a small rented spaces near the exit. Usually one of these spaces will be occupied by a business that sells, packages and ships certain items in bulk to China and chief among these are baby formula and vitamins because Chinese customers rightly question whether anything made in China is genuine or not. So it's sort of like a Western Union but for sensitive consumables. They do a brisk business, and you can tell when another contaminated food story is making the rounds in the motherland because the guy running the place will look all haggard and exhausted.

raton fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 5, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

PotatoJudge posted:

The strawberries of Latin America?

Strawberry, yes. It means like preppy dickhead, naco.

Mymla posted:

Would you yanks put your bloody tanks to good use and invade China so you can give them a proper civilized language.

Invading China is a POM task if ever there was one.

raton fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 6, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Frostwerks posted:

whats pom, person other than merrican

Prisoner of Her Majesty. Originally a pejorative for Australians, now used ironically by Australians to refer to the English as the English live in a worse country/more directly under the queen. Usually you hear "pommy bastard" rather than just POM on its own.

It's like "Yank" but for British people.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Steps for having a good argument:

1) Don't stick up for China
2) Don't stick up for England

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I used to work with an Ecuadorian and the first time he ever talked to a Peruvian in the flesh was after he moved to the US. He described it like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRUdNhYoP_U

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ElGroucho posted:

Conversely, everyone dislikes Mexico the way Canada and the Brits dislike the US

Spanish language and culture has come to be dominated my Mexico, the way people are no longer learning British vernacular, but American.

Think of how lovely all these other motherfuckers must be to have Mexico be first among "peers" :mexico:

Mexico and Cuba are the best two Spanish speaking peoples anyway.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Frostwerks posted:

some people like to get their shoes shines, others prefer to get their knob polished

porquenolosdos as they say in ARGENTINA

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

JaucheCharly posted:

How does the research on bubble communites progress there?

Coincidentally at the same speed as the research on bubble communities progresses at the western firm sending over product specifications and build sheets.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
China claims to own every country more or less but I believe the map is countries that officially come down on the "No, Taiwan is a different country" side of the fence.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

DetroitVectorSmooth posted:

You're thinking of something else. The demonym for a Chinese person in Mandarin is literally China (中国) person (人) 中国人。

He's referring to the extra word that you use if describing yourself as Chinese (or was it just Asian?). You say China Type Person or whatever. If you're talking about another sort of person you leave out the Type word. Just Black Person or White Person. Lots of people when they first learn about this feel like they should add Type in when speaking about their own race but feedback about this is never given.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

bamhand posted:

No, 中国 is China, leaving out a word would not make sense. It's three characters because China is two and person is one. A white or black person is two characters because white and black are one character each. America is 2 characters so American is 3 characters total, this is true of my countries such as France, Germany, the UK, etc.

This was something I read like a dozen years ago when I was trying to learn Chinese so I can't really reconstruct it. Maybe it was something like white person, black person, yellow TYPE person being the correct terms for races. In any case it was some extra unnecessary word thrown in when referring to people like you (if you are Chinese). I don't think it means much whatever it is but I do think it's the same thing still causing ruffled feathers somehow.

icantfindaname posted:

asian-americans are basically completely different than asians-in-asia because of the terrible education system and conformism and stuff, you've nothing to worry about. i guess it sort of sucks that your home/heritage country is a giant shithole, but oh well

:stare:

raton fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 12, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
IDK man I think it's pretty normal to defend your heritage even if you're so distantly removed from it that it actually doesn't matter any more. Like I got my grandma a new kitchen knife for Christmas because even though she has plenty of money she's extremely thrifty and has been using the same fifty cent piece of poo poo for twenty years and the handle on it is busted, and I made sure to get her a German made knife because both of her parents were from Germany, and she called me and talked for a bit about how great this German made knife was and how our people certainly do excel at some things, and I argued with her neither verbally nor internally in the least. My mom rolls her eyes when the movie villain inexplicably has a German accent. I'd never buy a Ferrari over a BMW. The connections thin out but they never really sever.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 12, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

so your saying you're grandma is a nazi?

Great post

Hihohe posted:

Just like a Kraut to give someone the knife they are gonna stab them with

Some American traits are very identifiably from one country or another.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If you put rice cookers in the rooms they're going to make tea eggs in them.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You can be proud of your Chinese heritage. I mean, most of it is in Hong Kong or Taiwan now, but still.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a China.txt for you. One time in a Chinese market I was looking for some horrible exploitative midget performance VCD that had been playing the day before in order to send home and horrify family with. Speaking almost no Chinese at that point I just ran around yelling XIAO REN XIAO REN and quite quickly what I sought was delivered into my hands. Sometimes you just have to ask. And then bargain over the VCD as though you were dealing with the world's scabbiest used car dealer.

raton fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 13, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Are you sure this is for babies? Because I know in shops in the UK formula is kept being counters because it's used to cut drugs.

Dude how much coke do you think those Chinese dudes have?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

waitwhatno posted:

I just can't believe that no one in western companies has figured out a way to make money from this. There must be a reliable way to check if a product is untempered at home, right? Maybe involving buttcoin encryption and shady electric wiring?

It's not that easy to open an import business in China and any proof you try to manufacture you're going to manufacture in China, which they're going to sell out the back door to knockoff whatever companies.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I hope China does not collapse and instead becomes a stable and prosperous democracy. :(

This would lead immediately to it collapsing.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cumslut1895 posted:

My Chinese friend was talking about streets where you can buy high-end Integrated Circuits for cheap, which seemed extremely cyberpunk to me

What is the word for cyberpunk but lovely?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The city brewery in Harbin makes a pretty good light lager, which is not the best kind of beer, but of that kind of beer it's more than fair. This is because a bunch of Germans moved there in the 1800s and shock horror opened a brewery. It was also in this city that I was offered special northern cabbage, which we only eat here, not some other place in China, which was sauerkraut.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Ketmine makes you bladder dissolve if you keep doing it over an extended period. Also it might make you more susceptible to altzheimers but that it unconfirmed I think.

Plus it's like a super 2010 drug, they are probably still listening to dubstep and poo poo while they do it.

1990 drug but okay.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Improbable Lobster posted:

Literally every culture is super lovely to just about everything outside of a small subset of pets duder. Especially if they think that the cruelty will make money.

E: Look at literally any circus or zoo that doesn't have extremely high pressure to treat its animals humanely.

While none of us are super nice to animals Asia is seriously on another level.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I'm a shell of a human being but this kind of poo poo makes my blood boil worse than those paintings of Cambodian babies having their heads smashed in against the 'ol head smashing tree in the killing fields. What a bunch of knuckle dragging cunts.

Sono posted:

Does China do well at any head-to-head sport? It seems like their education style is a perfect match for doing gymnastics by rote; having to react to another team, not so much.

Ping Pong AKA National Ball.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone should have to take two years of Biology, Chemistry and Physics in high school as well as Calc. If they don't want to they ought to get a remedial degree with a picture of a Ford truck on it. This is coming from someone with an English degree who taught English in Asia. If your native language is English you ought to also have read at least Macbeth before you even get the Ford truck degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Accretionist posted:

Biology and chemistry did more for my worldview and ability to understand the world than any other subjects. This attitude is probably the #1 thing you learned from your lovely teachers.

I personally think it's disgusting that we live in an age where we finally really know something about our world and there are people who don't even want to have contact with that but I will say that if I had to choose between the accumulated production of the humanities and the accumulated production of science I'm taking the humanities every time. Those who choose otherwise are making a choice out of a desire for comfort or just plain fear, and that ain't no way to live.

• Locked thread