Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ddiddles posted:

Why does everything in China look like they've never seen one of these:

Too much trouble, why bother.

I also bet you most of the construction workers literally have not ever seen one of those.

Edit: To be fair to the lazy rear end construction workers buildings aren't maintained in any way and are built as cheaply as possible, so they're all basically collapsing within a couple years of being built. So doing a good job is kind of a waste of time because the building is going to be gone in an absurdly short timeframe anyway. I think I read things here are built with an expectation of 20 years max before they'll be demolished?

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

China.jpg/OSHA.jpg crossover edition

This is not in any way unusual but this was a particularly large and impressive pile of cables.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They know the right guy, whoever that is. Some of them legitimately want to stay in their homes but a lot of them are using that connection to hold out for as much money as possible from the developers to agree to leave.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Developers being massive pieces of poo poo is something we can share across all cultures.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

whip posted:

My daughter is half Chinese. Is she still a laowei? Thanks in advance.

She's a filthy race traitor mudblood

whatever7 posted:

It just means outsider.

Which is derogatory

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

China is actually literally Morrowind

You wander through a blasted hellscape of destroyed nature, most of which is invisible through the thick gray air, while glassy eyed people stare at you, muttering "Outlander" to themselves as you pass

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Depends what kind of token whitey job. The ones where it's like we need a white person for two days, there are agents who try to recruit you if you live here. And a lot of them pay pretty well for minimal effort so it's a popular way to make a little extra money.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

DNova posted:

Is that a stereotype thing that Chinese people write? I actually saw that on the ingredients list of a spice packet for mapo tofu or something.

Actually, every coin has two sides

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

yes we'd love to do your homework for you.
related: my school is putting a cap on chinese admissions, because they realized that TOEFL scores mean nothing. there was a huge wave of chinese admissions, and the teachers found that they couldn't follow lectures or read slides in english. they all told their profs that they either got the TOEFL questions in advance or were allowed to take the exam dozens of times and just report the highest score

yes TOEFL is a huge waste of time and meaningless. I'm glad universities are starting to treat all Chinese test scores as the fakes they are

I always liked meeting English teachers who scored like a 99% on the Korean exam for English and could not manage even the simplest conversation for more than like 15 seconds before bursting into laughter and saying they couldn't understand in Korean

Which I understood because apparently I learned more in the like, 40 hours total of Korean class I took than they learned in their 14 years? or so of English class

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

bamhand posted:

Koreans are more cliquey than Chinese in my experience.

Mine too, though they're both pretty bad.

At my school they do actually get a class about that, and I've had a lot of conversations with the students about how to make friends and not end up in a little Chinese bubble wasting their time in the US. They just don't have any intercultural contact and have no idea the way they drive people off without intending to. Simple things like "nobody is going to come talk to you if you're all hanging around together speaking Chinese" don't occur to them because why would they?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

no skills or ability to communicate in English.

Sounds like somebody got a 95% on their TOEFL!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I teach kids of filthy rich Chinese people and have been impressed how many of them seem to be decent and well adjusted people.

There are the fuckwits but it's nowhere near as bad as I would've expected it to be. I don't know if I'm lucky or the really bad ones just kind of overblow the problem.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

my students love Japan. They hate Korea and Hong Kong

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

bringmyfishback posted:

I thought they liked K-pop and stupid poo poo...DAMMIT I LISTENED TO K-POP BECAUSE YOU TOLD ME THAT SO THAT I COULD TRICK THEM INTO THINKING I WAS SORT OF COOL FOR LIKE A WEEK

The tenth graders love kpop and kdramas and poo poo. They also hate Korea. Much like when one of my Korean students told me she hoped everyone in Japan would die while literally wearing head to toe Hello Kitty stuff and drinking a Pocari Sweat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hong Kong is by far the most hated in any case

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

Do they receive a stipend from the government or do they just survive off donations?

They're a completely private institution I'm pretty sure. They also have an outstandingly hilarious museum about how Japan liberated Asia from western oppression and everybody was happy until the westerners came and attacked Japan because of ??? and hosed it all up.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fojar38 posted:

so japan has issued apologies but they are somewhat wishy washy from time to time and it doesnt really matter because the chinese dont actually want a sincere apology so much as an excuse to continue hating japan

This is a correct analysis

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

if i had to put money on how WW3 would start it'd be racist nationalism + some loving stupid worthless islandspiles of bird poo poo covered rocks in East Asia

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Vladimir Poutine posted:

I wonder if the people who drive them everyday have hearing damage, they can be pretty loud when you're right next to them

Judging from the volume of everything I think everybody in China is near deaf

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hasn't the littering tourist thing already been happening

And harassing penguins too

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I had a great moment when teaching about the Columbian Exchange and one student disbelieved me that chilis were from the Americas. He asked "If chilis are from there then why don't they have spicy food?"

Before I could answer, another student called him a loving moron and asked if he had heard of Mexican food. I stood silently, filled with pride as she ripped him.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My friend is married to a Korean and her family came to visit in the US. They were stopped at customs and forced to throw away things they brought to America since they wouldn't be able to get them there:

carrots
onions
garlic

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Blistex posted:

/\ Were they allowed to keep their steamer-trunk full of garbage-tier ramen?

I assume so. She just sent pictures of the vegetables to make fun of them.

Blistex posted:

In some of the museums in Korea they have displays showing the making of Kimchi during ancient times (like 2000 years ago), and naturally there will be a depiction of Chili peppers as one of the ingredients.

Anyone who has spend more than 15 minutes in Korea will have heard, "ohhh, careful, that is spicy!". I've heard them ask people from Lousiana and Texas if they can eat spicy food and Chinese teachers as well. Korean spiciness is somewhere around a 4 out of 10.

4 is about right. There's almost nothing in Korea that is genuinely spicy. Buldalk will light you up, chicken feet usually are pretty hot, good dalkgalbi is spicy, same with good ddeokbokki, and uh...

Koreans also usually believe only Koreans eat garlic. Garlic, probably the most common flavoring on Earth.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've been asked in a shocked tone "Can you eat rice?" while I am eating rice at a table with coworkers who I have had lunch with, therefore eaten rice in front of every single day for over a year.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My favorite was a dude at the first place I worked in Korea. This guy was dumb as gently caress, even the other Koreans thought he was a moron.

Anyway he asked me what kind of kimchi we eat in America. I said we don't really eat it except at Korean restaurants, and most people probably have never had it (this was 2011 so it wasn't trendy yet). He started to argue with me, insisting that we do eat kimchi. I said I am from the US and am pretty sure we don't.

He spent the next four months bringing me articles. The jist of his argument was that if you do not eat kimchi at every meal, every day (and rice but that was a later addition) you will die. There are people in America who are alive, therefore we must eat kimchi daily like Koreans do. There was absolutely nothing I could do to convince him otherwise.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Imagine you were in the US and people literally applauded if an Asian looking person said "Hello" in English and was able to pick up a fork and not immediately stab himself in the eye with it

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I like the use of "can you" instead of "do you like"

Yes I am physically capable of placing tofu in my mouth and consuming it

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Ethnic nationalism making me angry

:agreed:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Blistex posted:

Every time I see Korean tourists I have to suppress the urge to point at them and shout at the top of my lungs, "Wayguk" (foreigner).

I had this conversation on the street here in China a few days ago. Ran into two random Koreans walking home and apparently I haven't forgotten nearly as much Korean as I felt like I had

It's a foreigner!
Where? I'm Chinese. This is China. You're foreigners.
Wow, he speaks Korean?! (one speaking to the other, not bothering to address the person talking to them)
No, I only speak Chinese.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

unfortunately, I can't convey the looks on their faces as they tried to figure out how the whitey speaks Korean and why the whitey is calling us Glorious Han people dirty foreigners

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

yeah I'm starting to tell people I don't speak English. there is nothing that confuses people in asia more than the idea that white people do not all speak English

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

imagine you were white and born and raised in China and are entirely Chinese but literally everyone all the time calls you foreigner and speaks English at you, a language you have no knowledge of because you're from Chongqing and have never traveled abroad and didn't give a poo poo about learning it in school because your parents were from uh, Finland so it's not like you spoke English at home either

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Subyng posted:

on the other side of that coin, when I visited Asia everyone there assumed I knew their language

Yeah I had Asian friends in Korea who didn't speak Korean and everyone was mindblown

Worst was if you were Korean-American and insufficiently Korean

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I was out with a Chinese friend and I spoke Korean better than her, so we had many conversations where a Korean person would ask her something or I would initiate the conversation, then the Korean would continue speaking to my completely silent (except in English) Chinese friend while I handled the communication while never being acknowledged in any way

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

all complaining aside this is the hardest thing to deal with in Asia. There's a lot of other stuff you can learn to understand and you gradually appreciate, but having grown up in a diverse city in the US with friends of many cultures from kindergarten on it's just impossible to comprehend the mindset of someone who grew up in such a sheltered monocultural landscape that they're barely aware that other types of people and things outside their immediate area even exist.

My students are cosmopolitan as hell by local standards but I still had one ask me how I can write Chinese when she saw me writing a food name in Chinese. And I was just like, the same way you can ask me that in English. And then she felt dumb because obviously and when she gave it more than half a second thought it made sense but still, her first instinct was WHITE WRITING HANZI NOT POSSIBLE

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

computer parts posted:

I'm from Idaho so I have a slight inkling.

[ASK] Me about not meeting a black person until I was 13!

Yeah I'm not saying there aren't any white people who can relate, just I personally can't. And most of the people I know in Asia come from reasonably diverse backgrounds so they also can't.

I don't think there's a direct correlation either. Being from podunk nowhere in the US is definitely closer but I don't think there's anywhere in the US where people would reject the idea that pizza is from Italy or whatever.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

A friend of mine, who is Puerto Rican and speaks Korean to an almost advanced level, was on the subway with an Asian American friend who speaks barely any Korean. They were chatting in English and this old Korean guy just starts laying into his friend about how she must speak Korean and pretty much called her a whore for talking for my friend.

My Korean friends said this would happen a lot when we were hanging out. They'd just hear older Koreans calling them whores for being around me. I was also once accosted with my ex-girlfriend, who was not Korean but nobody can actually tell the difference between Koreans/Chinese/Japanese no matter how much they insist they always know instantly.

My favorite friend story is one I have who speaks Korean pretty well. He was at a casino in the Philippines at a table with Koreans, who were all telling each other what cards they had in Korean for cheating purposes. He played innocent American and after winning a thousand dollars off them he stood up, thanked them profusely in Korean, then left in a shower of cursing and screaming.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The awkward casual racism towards my black coworker was always the best though. :allears:

A restaurant near me has jokes on their chopstick wrappers and a good number of them are racist. I had students translate them. "Why do black people like white chocolate? So they don't eat their fingers."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Barracuda Bang! posted:

is honestly reprehensible

Don't sign your posts.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

我也是

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

simplefish posted:

. jay pee gee

This is a baller as gently caress van wizard

• Locked thread