Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

It's good that we don't reward the pilots for crashing the plane. Really a moral hazard IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
On the other hand I bet something like that would be really useful after we made the normally super-safe air travel terrifying because the plane was now assembled in multiple detachable parts. With these new planes falling out of the sky all the time having a safety device would be great!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
An airframe parachute, you say?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
It's almost as if the people doing weird concept designs have literally no idea how whatever they're designing works.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I can't help but picture one of those just falling off the plane over Kansas.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Combine this with aerial refueling and a Fulton recovery system and I think we've just revolutionized air travel.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

zedprime posted:

An airframe parachute, you say?

I love you.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
With the detaching design that clearly leaves the cockpit intact, are the pilots supposed to die or rush into the cabin and actuate the separation from there? Cause I can see a big red emergency pull handle located in the cabin ending well.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

um excuse me posted:

are the pilots supposed to die

Yes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

um excuse me posted:

are the pilots supposed to die

"No, Mr Bond, I expect you to taxi to a stop a safe distance from the terminal."

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I like the retro rockets firing into the top of the cabin.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hyperlynx posted:

I like the retro rockets firing into the top of the cabin.

Aww, the exhaust isn't that bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uGfOppQD_g

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

um excuse me posted:

With the detaching design that clearly leaves the cockpit intact, are the pilots supposed to die or rush into the cabin and actuate the separation from there? Cause I can see a big red emergency pull handle located in the cabin ending well.

If it is supposed to help in cases where terrorists have captured the plane then it would be silly to have a single big red button, since the terrorists could easily prevent it from being used. IMO they should put a special toggle in every armrest, let the passengers vote that way. If 80% active their toggles away they go. :iamafag:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

um excuse me posted:

just do like it like star trek where you have to have three dudes pull the interlocks out manually while twisting them like so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFcNdepOFBM

threatening cyborgs optional

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Huh. That's cool as hell. Cheers!

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

I like how the first one lands on the stock windows XP background.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

JB50 posted:

I like how the first one lands on the stock windows XP background.

Speaking of backgrounds, in that part watch the horizon.

Sneaking
Sep 15, 2009

Wasn't sneaking. Stupid fat hobbits.
I thought those were a joke. You know, like a SNL skit.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

um excuse me posted:

The little explosion in the background as the passenger cabin gently touches down confirms that, yes, the captain is going down with the bird. :patriot:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Blistex posted:

I was always curious what a major league pitcher could do with a grenade.

-300 foot throw and airbursts above a trench
-grenade thrown through exterior wall of house and explodes inside
-pitched through 16x16" 4th story window
-thrown into the box of a speeding Toyota pickup from 100 feet away
-forgot to pull pin but the grenade impacts with a guy's face at ~95mph and kills him
-tosses a curveball so it goes around a hapless civilian and lands at an insurgent's feet 15m directly behind the non-combatant.
-pulls a muscle and sits out for the rest of the war

Corporal John J. Spillane, Co. A, 2nd Amphib Tractor Batt.

Serial # 311385

Awarded the Navy Cross for action at Tarawa

Crew chief, Company A, 2nd Amphibian Tractor Battalion.

"For great personal bravery and heroic conduct. During the H-hour assualt, several enemy grenades on separate occasions were thrown into the troop compartment of his vehicle. Spillane began throwing the grenades out of the vehicle with absolute disregard for his own safety until one exploded in his throwing hand, mutilating it and causing severe multiple wounds elsewhere on his body. His dauntless courage and quick thinking saved the lives of the assualt troops in his vehicle."

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/hqXakIH.webm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyn3_mqHeic

http://nypost.com/2016/01/28/garbage-truck-explodes-like-a-missile-in-new-jersey/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Imagine the smell.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This is made by the author of self-maiming earthquake beds.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Imagine the smell.
New Jersey as usual?

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

If it's so easy then why dont they just put a parachute on the fucken plane? Do the pilots really need to die in this scenario?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdDuHxwD5R4

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SNOT CORN posted:

If it's so easy then why dont they just put a parachute on the fucken plane? Do the pilots really need to die in this scenario?

Maybe so there's no fuel to go splodey? Not really sure.

But airplane parachutes are definitely a thing, just for smaller airplanes (as of now at least).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

SNOT CORN posted:

To be fair, a cabin without fuel, engines, luggage etc is a whole deal lighter than a whole plane, and who's to say the pilots can't get into the cabin given enough time or use their own parachutes?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G4E3WjNufA

:allears:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Maybe so there's no fuel to go splodey? Not really sure.

But airplane parachutes are definitely a thing, just for smaller airplanes (as of now at least).

Notice the disparity in the ratio between load and parachute size. This is why you don't let inventors design your safety systems.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LordSaturn posted:

Notice the disparity in the ratio between load and parachute size. This is why you don't let inventors design your safety systems.

No that's why that one has retro rockets DUH

(Seriously though, I'm not defending his design in any way. I was just pointing out that airplane parachutes are not as outlandish as some think.)

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Seems to me like either of those designs would add an enormous amount of weight to the fuselage of the aircraft.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
IIRC the original idea was to improve airport logistics by separating airframe maintenance from passenger handling, the emergency features must have been designed (badly) around that.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Apparently my building takes OSHA a little too seriously

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SaNChEzZ posted:

Is that the 8333 EDJ Building in Tempe? Cause if so what's up buddy?!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is that the 8333 EDJ Building in Tempe? Cause if so what's up buddy?!

Nope, just another drought tolerant landscape in Los Angeles. We can still be buddies though!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Two teen boys in rural Tennessee died this past week after allegedly drinking a cocktail of Mountain Dew and racing fuel known as 'DewShine'.
Logan Stephenson, a 16-year-old student at Greenbriar High School, was found dead in his bed the morning of January 21.
Just minutes later, paramedics were called to Stephenson's best friend J.D. Byram's house, when the boy started having seizures.
'They noticed the color of his skin had changed and he started having a seizure. His hands started drawing up,' Greenbrier Police Chief K.D. Smith told WZTV.
Byram, a student at the same high school, died Monday night at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l#ixzz3yf1Mcy6Y

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SaNChEzZ posted:

Better than not considering it at all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4JCMkGPJeo

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G4E3WjNufA

Jesus christ. Dude "cooking" directly with his house wiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

haveblue posted:

IIRC the original idea was to improve airport logistics by separating airframe maintenance from passenger handling, the emergency features must have been designed (badly) around that.

I thought that was an entirely separate patent filed by an actual airplane manufacturer, and the idea was maintenance as you said but also to improve turnaround times at airports by just having all passenger boarding being done before the plane even lands, the module in the airport terminal is swapped with the one on the plane while it refuels, and then the plane leaves as the previous passengers disembark. And it didn't involve ejecting the passengers at all.

Icedude fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 29, 2016

• Locked thread