Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can see the whole tractor shifting as it digs in, the blade is applying an enormous amount of force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Seriously, though, how did it get up there?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm way beaten on this but holy :stare:

My dumb OSHA story:

When I was about 13 years old I was with my dad while he was running errands and he had to stop in to the warehouse of the pool table and general pub/fun game place he works at. There was a customer there who was picking up a pool table or something that he had to put together. However, for some reason it was stacked on top of the warehouse shelving in an area where the forklift couldn't get the forks underneath it and lift it up. This customer worked in construction, so my father, in his infinite wisdom, had the customer get in the forklift and drive it, and my dad stood on the two forks of the forklift as it lifted him about eight feet in the air. Then, he bent over and slid the table onto the forklift, then stood on the pool table that was on the forklift while the customer turned the forklift around and lowered the table.

I didn't know much about jobs or workplace standards or anything like that yet, but I was old enough to know that what I was seeing was absolutely ridiculous.

If the forklift couldn't manipulate it how did it get up there in the first place?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's clearly a grenade so I'd guess they're in a pretty bad way yeah.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
...Did he think that would not happen if it landed in the trailer?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

dpbjinc posted:

My professor would do this experiment. Except the finale would be in a completely different class.

In my high school physics class, the teacher blew free-floating bubbles off one of the table's gas ports and I got to pop them with a candle on a stick.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Pretty sure everyone else on that float looks just fine. Does electricity even conduct that well through the human body? It's not like when those 4 Chinese people or whatever ran a scaffold into a live wire.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/cca8b7c92c104c09a55db4cf716fa143/witnesses-say-multiple-deaths-haiti-carnival-accident

Everyone on the float was fine, the casualties came when the surrounding crowd panicked and trampled each other.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's over 70MB, should probably have been linked.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Some people browse on tablets and phones, too. 70MB is just way too excessive for an embed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
But that was before we knew about the cancer, right? Or was it like leaded gas where there was a multi-decade lobbying effort to sustain it?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

uPen posted:

Making the deterrent kill people who enter kind of defeats the purpose of trying to keep people away from dangerous poo poo that would kill them.

Yeah but if it's something that causes immediate pain and obvious acute sickness (which both go away after a while) they might never reach the stuff that gives the entire community cancer six months after they steal it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Whether you're serious or not, if you can build that you can build an orbital solar farm that doesn't produce hazardous waste at all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That doesn't even look real. How does the manhole rise on a literal pillar of fire for a good long fraction of a second before the shockwave emerges?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PT6A posted:

And, yeah, holy gently caress, don't screw around with trains.

Unless you're a nuclear waste storage container

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A shameful disregard for their heritage

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So what exactly happened there? I'm guessing there was a tiny drop of water in the mold and it caused a miniature steam explosion?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

He would have floated on top of the much, much more dense molten metal. This is also what happens when you fall onto molten lava: you sink into it like an inch or two at most, because humans are only a little more dense than water, and molten lava (or steel) is a hell of a lot more dense than that.

You can also do this with mercury without instantly bursting into flames and dying (you'll die later on from heavy metal poisoning).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

5er posted:

Probably don't have to. Birds are light as dust. If they've already accounted for ice, which will be hells of heavier than birds, and birds are really not likely to be perching on heavily iced powerlines, it's a non-issue.

Excess bird loading on powerlines can actually have severe consequences according to this documentary

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

buttcoinbrony posted:

I assumed they would have heaters built in, is that not the case?

I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of energy required to keep that much aluminum at that temperature is greater than can be produced by any power source that would fit on a truck (short of ongoing combustion which is probably not a good thing to drive around on public roads).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"Gravity knives"?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This strikes me as unsafe

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

KozmoNaut posted:

How anyone could ever consider this a viable currency, I have no idea. It hurts my brain to think about it.

People who use bitcoin fall into one of these categories:

-Scammers
-Drug dealers
-Ransomware operators
-Radical fundamentalist libertarians
-Opportunists making money (in real currency) by selling hardware and services to all of the above

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Parents, employers, or universities.

There are also bots that watch Github for anyone accidentally uploading S3 credentials to a public repo so they can steal them, log into their account, and use all the compute capacity it's allowed to mine. Everything about bitcoin is completely insane.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*Moving* oil makes a great coolant. That guy's going to end up with a broken bitcoin miner sitting in really hot stagnant oil.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can see the divots on the wing where it hit. The base of the tower is on the left between the van and the personnel.

Why does it have a shroud over the cockpit, though?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

They actually named the building "The Address"? Were they big Abbott and Costello fans?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Enfys posted:

The incredibly dramatic disappearance of the excavator as it slowly sinks is beautiful. It should have a moving musical score to go along with it.

As the last guy bailed out the excavator whispered to him "I know now why you cry".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

Triangle Shirtwaist? Never heard of it, is that a new fashion?

Yeah it's really hot these days

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GotLag posted:

Skydiving is not the same as cave diving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIRoLs_zFgo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
IIRC the original idea was to improve airport logistics by separating airframe maintenance from passenger handling, the emergency features must have been designed (badly) around that.

• Locked thread