Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Douchebag posted:

Which courses did you play?

Burning Ridge, River Hills, World Tour, Willbrook, Tradition. We got rained out of TPC Myrtle for the second year in a row.

It was fun but it just feels like a waste to play badly the whole week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying recording and journaling my range sessions and it's very interesting. I write down what worked, what didn't, any specific pain or injury and what I want to try on the next session. Looking at the videos it's clear to see how my longer swing form completely breaks down by the end. Like I can see that my performance on the longer clubs might have been affected by me getting tired before actually getting to them, so next time I'll skip every other club on my warmup. Ending with wedge half swings was very very good and let me finish the session on a positive note.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

daslog posted:

Burning Ridge, River Hills, World Tour, Willbrook, Tradition. We got rained out of TPC Myrtle for the second year in a row.

It was fun but it just feels like a waste to play badly the whole week.

I’ve played all those except Tradition and River Hills.

TPC is really nice, shame you got rained out there.

My son takes lessons from one of the new, young, pros at WT so we get to use the range when we want, that’s actually a fun course.

Next time try to get on Grand Dunes, that’s my favorite here by far.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Last Friday, terrible putting day on slow, slow greens. I cannot adjust.

Today, super fast, top dressed greens. 3x three putt bogeys on the front 9 to go with two birdies, finish at 3 over on the front. Bogey, par, bogey, eagle, par, bogey, par, double bogey, bogey. gently caress me.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

It's a universal rule: if the pro shop does not carry logo balls, the course will suck.

100% confirmation today

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Omne posted:

It's a universal rule: if the pro shop does not carry logo balls, the course will suck.

100% confirmation today

What if the logo balls are pinnacles?

Pured a 7 wood today (indoors on trackman)

It's really a shame the fairway ran out at 240.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

xsf421 posted:

What if the logo balls are pinnacles?

Pured a 7 wood today (indoors on trackman)

It's really a shame the fairway ran out at 240.

how do you like your 7 wood? I'm planning on buying one as my tee club after I'm used to my irons.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I love it, but it’s not really long enough to be a good tee club for most people. With a more typical swing speed you’re looking at 180-200 yards.

Why don’t we ask integ who just got his 7 wood delivered today after trying mine last week.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xsf421 posted:

I love it, but it’s not really long enough to be a good tee club for most people. With a more typical swing speed you’re looking at 180-200 yards.

Why don’t we ask integ who just got his 7 wood delivered today after trying mine last week.

best club i've had the pleasure of swinging honestly. i do not have the speeds to hit an x-flex shaft, and i was able to hit the 7 wood 180+ yards outta anything. it's not called a heavenwood for nothing.

Qi10 R-Flex shaft arrived today, very excited to have that in my bag for when the rough gets rough.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I've been toying with the idea of running a 5 and 7 wood instead of a 3 and 4 hybrid, mostly because I seem to be hitting nicely with my 3 wood and less so my hybrids and I'm wondering if that's just what my swing lends itself towards.

Anyone done this? Anyone able to tell me what a 5 and 7 wood is like? I've not had the chance to try any of them yet.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

xsf421 posted:

oh yeah I mean,200yds would be great for me. I'm not quite there with drivers just yet so my plan is to gradually get longer clubs once I master them until I can reliably hit drivers. I keep hearing good things about them

nerdz fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 16, 2024

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Carth Dookie posted:

I've been toying with the idea of running a 5 and 7 wood instead of a 3 and 4 hybrid, mostly because I seem to be hitting nicely with my 3 wood and less so my hybrids and I'm wondering if that's just what my swing lends itself towards.

Anyone done this? Anyone able to tell me what a 5 and 7 wood is like? I've not had the chance to try any of them yet.

My bag is driver, 5w, 7w, 4h at the top. I can hit the 7w out of most trouble, and it's fairly easy to hit distances from the top of its range down to about 200.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Carth Dookie posted:

Folks usually go 4w 7w if they aren't going 3w 5w (and some good fitters tend to agree that the average swing speed male doesn't have much business swinging a Strong 3 and arguably a regular 3 as well).

If everyone was being realistic and not ego-driven the top of 90%+ of bags would probably be Driver, 4w, 7w, 5h, 6i

Posting the Ping fitting study bag comp chart, but the one criticism it routinely gets is that its just too many clubs at the top of the bag and the gapping doesn't need to be that tight.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 16, 2024

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

GEMorris posted:

Folks usually go 4w 7w if they aren't going 3w 5w (and some good fitters tend to agree that the average swing speed male doesn't have much business swinging a Strong 3 and arguably a regular 3 as well).

If everyone was being realistic and not ego-driven the top of 90%+ of bags would probably be Driver, 4w, 7w, 5h, 6i

Posting the Ping fitting study bag comp chart, but the one criticism it routinely gets is that its just too many clubs at the top of the bag and the gapping doesn't need to be that tight.

This is interesting, because i've been adding speed to my clubs at a surprising rate, mostly because of an understanding i didn't have before with my body mechanics and how i've been coming over the top on a lot of iron shots. my driver right now is up around 90-94 mph.

My bag is currently Driver, 3w, 4h, 7w, 5i-pw, 52, 54, 58

I hit the 7w typically significantly better than i hit my 3w, unless it's literally off the fairway, because getting through thicc grass is tougher on that 3w for sure. and xsf was literally telling me Sunday on the course that most people can't hit a 3w for poo poo, and on a lot of lies, i'd be better off hitting an iron, and he was right.

and honestly if i could trade my 5i for a 5h, i'd probably consider it.

iNteg fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 16, 2024

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

GEMorris posted:

Interesting.

I don't intend to spend any money on more clubs just yet (Someone quote this post when I kramer into the thread next with my latest purchase. I'm giving it 2 months - who wants over who wants under?)

but I am having a coaching session this weekend and I haven't actually checked swing speeds, just ranges/dispersion. That's not to say that if I turns out I've actually been swinging like a parkinson's afflicted sloth that I'm suddenly going to swtich up my bag, but I'm curious now what I ACTUALLY swing at and where it might put me on that chart.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

iNteg posted:

This is interesting, because i've been adding speed to my clubs at a surprising rate, mostly because of an understanding i didn't have before with my body mechanics and how i've been coming over the top on a lot of iron shots. my driver right now is up around 90-94 mph.

This underlines one of the financial risks of new players getting fitted (and expensive new clubs) when they are committed to improving their swing through lessons. Once you learn all of the mechanics you can find speed (and delivery) that just wasn't there weeks prior.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just got my new (used) regular flex clubs and after the fitter gave me some swing coaching my club head speed with a 6i is slightly over 80. It will be hilarious if the fitter made my swing too fast for the clubs he fitted me with.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

nerdz posted:

I just got my new (used) regular flex clubs and after the fitter gave me some swing coaching my club head speed with a 6i is slightly over 80. It will be hilarious if the fitter made my swing too fast for the clubs he fitted me with.

Right now you are still in the correct flex based solely on swing speed, but over 84 on a 6 iron is where the consensus of Stiff flex begins.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
and just to make things more confusing, "normal" vs "stiff" vs "xstiff" doesn't really carry over between brands or even between models - my driver shaft is a Kai'li White 60G Xstiff, but it feels considerably softer to me than, say, a Tensei Black Stiff

One thing with that Ping chart (and hybrid v iron in general) is I feel like I hit a hybrid considerably further than the same number iron, and from casual conversations with friends I don't think that's unusual. I replaced my 4i with a Ping 5H that I adjusted down a degree and the distances seem about equal on well-struck shots - maybe my hybrid ball flight isn't ideal or something?

wyoak fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 17, 2024

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, I play a tensei blue tour x-stiff, which is softer than my ping tour 2.0 black x-stiff shaft. I wish companies would stop using hzrdus shafts for their stock shafts, they’re always way on the stiff end of the spectrum for their class.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xsf421 posted:

Yeah, I play a tensei blue tour x-stiff, which is softer than my ping tour 2.0 black x-stiff shaft. I wish companies would stop using hzrdus shafts for their stock shafts, they’re always way on the stiff end of the spectrum for their class.

this was my problem. I can swing a Ventus Blue Stiff, and it feels fine. I had 2x HZRDUS stiff shafts on my driver and 3w and they were awful, and now with an R-Flex Tensei Blue it feels much better than it ever did before.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
To make things more confusing to me, apparently weight is not the same as flex either? I'm picking between two clubs with KBS 90 max regular and XP 115 R300 shafts. The KBS with the rogue X head really helps me send the ball up in the air. I haven't had the chance to try the XP115 shaft but I assume I'll get less height from it or something, but lets see

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Weight is arguably more important than flex. I’ll leave it to the TXG guys to explain.

https://youtu.be/6yjXPhltKhg?si=qowmBP10jHeHfGGe

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

xsf421 posted:

Weight is arguably more important than flex. I’ll leave it to the TXG guys to explain.

https://youtu.be/6yjXPhltKhg?si=qowmBP10jHeHfGGe

Ya, this. When I got fitted for my driver a few years ago I had my best results, best dispersion/distance when I moved into a heavier shaft. I was hitting an off the shelf 65g x flex shaft and wound up in a 77g x flex shaft.

Most people who only swing off the shelf drivers pick up mine and are like wtf this thing is heavy, it feels normal to me now and off the rack drivers are so light lol.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

mattfl posted:

Ya, this. When I got fitted for my driver a few years ago I had my best results, best dispersion/distance when I moved into a heavier shaft. I was hitting an off the shelf 65g x flex shaft and wound up in a 77g x flex shaft.

Most people who only swing off the shelf drivers pick up mine and are like wtf this thing is heavy, it feels normal to me now and off the rack drivers are so light lol.

I straight up can’t hit irons lighter than a D3 swingweight. Trying to do so results in massive amounts of thins and shanks. I completely lose all feel for where the head is.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

wyoak posted:

and just to make things more confusing, "normal" vs "stiff" vs "xstiff" doesn't really carry over between brands or even between models - my driver shaft is a Kai'li White 60G Xstiff, but it feels considerably softer to me than, say, a Tensei Black Stiff

One thing with that Ping chart (and hybrid v iron in general) is I feel like I hit a hybrid considerably further than the same number iron, and from casual conversations with friends I don't think that's unusual. I replaced my 4i with a Ping 5H that I adjusted down a degree and the distances seem about equal on well-struck shots - maybe my hybrid ball flight isn't ideal or something?

Hybrid/Iron gapping has several problems

1. Labeling
2. Length
3. Cog / head performance

1. Labeling is inconsistent, most companies use the number of the equivalent iron based on loft, which creates this big distance differentials due to the following points. A few companies label hybrids based on distance, e.g. the expected distance on a 21° hybrid is equivalent to that of an 18° iron, so we will label it as a 3h and not a 4h.
2. A big source of the distance is that most hybrids are sold a full inch longer than the equivalent graphite shafted iron (which are themselves half an inch longer than steel shafted irons). Tom Wishon strongly recommends shortening hybrids to the equivalent length of the iron they are replacing
3. CoG on a hollow metal head can be much lower and further back, encouraging higher launch, and further amplifying the distance between say a 4h and a 4i the player is having difficulty getting up in the air in the first place.

Have distance/gapping targets when you go in to buy or build a hybrid, and know that lofts aren't meaningfully equivalent between irons and hybrids, the number labels are inconsistent, and they are default configured extra long to provide "impressive distance" in a fitting, but that also means less control, ordering a hybrid 1" short is completely valid especially if it helps you reach your desired gapping.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Golf Megathread 2024: We Love Our Shafts

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

What’s this, a wild package arrives.

A package from the colonies.

Ooh a package from Augusta

Your boy and his daughter are going to look fly as they hack up the local muni.

Much love Shrapnig <3

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Is it that time of year? Am I going to get to play in sunny, warm, weather for 18 holes? Oh, yes I am.

Number 14 by B. B., on Flickr

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Is it that time of year? Am I going to get to play in sunny, warm, weather for 18 holes? Oh, yes I am.

Number 14 by B. B., on Flickr

Same. But it wasn’t sunny, or warm where I was. It was just bright till 9pm

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I went to a new golf course today and their driving range was closed but they had a chipping green so I decided to go for that for the first time. Wow, I had a lot of fun! I spent around three hours chipping around, hitting real grass for the first time. With no sim time pressure, no running out of range balls, hitting 20yds or less I was really forced to focus on my contact and control which I'm sure will translate into better swings with other clubs. I had the chance to try tall grass, bad lies, uneven lies etc and it was all very interesting. I got an Odyssey #7 putter so once that arrives I wanna do chipping and putting together. And when I get my sand wedge I want to play around with the practice bunkers too. I even tried to be fancy and hit a few flop shots, more often than not just sending the ball rolling way past the green.

It also made me realize some really important stuff about cavity backs: some of their back designs can be a bitch to clean once they get full of grass and mud. And that the rogue X with the hot faces and a 46 degree approach wedge (lol) is very hard to hit anything around the green, but maybe I can get used to it. If I keep the rogues I'd have to get at least 2 more wedges for my short game though.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Be sure to also practice putting from off the green, its relevant in a higher percentage of chipping situations than people think, can be much less error prone, and almost no one practices it.

Not discouraging practicing chipping, it and off green putting are both more important than flop shots.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GEMorris posted:

Be sure to also practice putting from off the green, its relevant in a higher percentage of chipping situations than people think, can be much less error prone, and almost no one practices it.

Not discouraging practicing chipping, it and off green putting are both more important than flop shots.

Yeah in many scenarios just doing a toe tap with the wedge got me way closer in a more controlled way. I was mostly pitching and chipping to train contact, not exactly aiming for the flags today. Once I get a putter I'll do that for sure.

EDIT: Though I did get a chip in at 15yds! (and a chip in at 20yds on a hole I wasnt aiming for )

nerdz fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 18, 2024

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Oodles posted:

Same. But it wasn’t sunny, or warm where I was. It was just bright till 9pm

Getting distinct Kid Rock on the course vibes

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Had my first coaching session today.

Results:

142m (155 yard) 7 iron with 127m (139 yard) carry.

Turns out my grip needed correcting and I was standing too close. Once I got that sorted things got much better.

Now to work on getting all my higher irons, hybrids, woods and driver to go longer than my 7 iron. :v:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nice! Golf progress is a beautiful thing. A couple weeks from when my training program ended, I was carrying around 150yds with a 5i with my elbow destroying swing. Then I fixed it, got new clubs, my wedges and 9i carry increased a lot but I can't hit a 5i for poo poo right now. And now that I understand a bit about clubs I see why I liked the sim clubs so much, I was playing with ladies flex clubs.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

GEMorris posted:

Right now you are still in the correct flex based solely on swing speed, but over 84 on a 6 iron is where the consensus of Stiff flex begins.

My trackman results are telling me I need to find 14mph then.

Got a lot of swinging to do. I got roped into joining what is basically a golf sim gym when I got my coaching today. But it means I have 24/7 access to a trackman golf sim so I can live with that.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm playing for the first time in 2.5 months today, probably the longest non-weather enforced break from playing golf I've had in a decade. This will go poorly.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

I'm playing for the first time in 2.5 months today, probably the longest non-weather enforced break from playing golf I've had in a decade. This will go poorly.

Or, because it's golf, you'll have a great day, and your next round, now with high expectations, will crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
This morning I drove 46 miles round trip to hit some balls for an hour for the first time since November (injuries-busy-unmotivated). :newlol:
The first dumpy range that was closer I went to had spots open to hit but ZERO parking spots and nowhere else to park. :jerkbag:
The second mega-range (Haggin Oaks - Sacramento) had literally 1 stall out of 50,000 of them available and I only got into that one because the instructor let me use it until his next group came in.

Everything is so damned crowded "GOLF IS DYING!!! GROW THE SPORT!!!" my arse. :argh:

Weekends are a shitshow, I'd almost rather be working so I can weeeze out on Tues/Wed although having a healthy PTO accrual balance means I can weeze out on a Wed every now and then.

The only good thing is after playing for 500 years, I have absolutely no problem taking massive amounts of time off and not feeling much rust.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 20, 2024