Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Command Ant posted:

Bloody prudes, the whole lot of you.

It's true, whenever I see a boob I get the vapors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm gonna need a gif of crocodile man raising the roof.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
Requesting that Mod "Sexy_Ferg" changes the title to Rolling Blunts with The Rolling Girls, thanks in advance.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Welp, episode two ups both the the comprehensibility and the goofy fun.

Also, Shigyo and Masami need to get a room. Like, goddamn.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Can Wit really keep up this level of animation? It didn't work out too well for them too well with AoT. :ohdear:

I love the animation, the style, and the little details, but I'm just not sure they can stay consistent.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Haha, I love this show, I just hope it can keep up the same energy (and quality) for the rest of the series. Also that roller coaster insert song was Jet Set Radio as gently caress.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, 3rd episode will probably be the real test since the two Bests got decommissioned, and they were a large part of why the first two episodes were enjoyable. Hopefully the main cast can keep that up, or at the very least the groups they run into will be fun with their own little quirks. That flashback backstory would probably be a pretty cool series though, even if it is probably an alternate version of Kill la Kill.

Episode was rad though, full of gif-fable moments.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I love that everyone but Nozomi knew about Maccha Green's identity and that the guy with the crocodile mask is literally called Crocodile. Also Nozomi's dad is the best.

And yeah, hopefully the main cast can keep things interesting or they can keep running into even more crazy factions. Shigyo and Masami were a large part of what kept my interest, but if they can maintain the insanity, then we'll have no problems.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Ep 1 was pretty great, and ep 2 was also good, but our actual main character is easily the least interesting part of it, and I don't see our new cast being able to top the two Bests kicking each other's asses. I really hope they can prove me wrong, because it'd be a shame for a show with a strong opening like that to be wasted.

Also, I have to admit, I kinda tuned out at the beginning when they gave the exposition, did they really say much other than "Japan broke up, the leaders of each piece are called Bests and fight for more area"?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No that was pretty much it, other than the flashback stuff from this episode.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I thought it was just kind of a gag at first, but no, the main girls really are just mob characters. Kind of interesting that the leads are Rest instead of Best. Makes me hopeful that we'll get to see a bunch of different over the top Best each week .

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Overlord K posted:

I thought it was just kind of a gag at first, but no, the main girls really are just mob characters. Kind of interesting that the leads are Rest instead of Best. Makes me hopeful that we'll get to see a bunch of different over the top Best each week .

That seems to be the case. Reading between the lines, it seems that those Moonlight Stones are what gives Best their powers and makes them Best whether they know it or not. MC gave one to her sister as a lucky charm without realizing its power and during the Best fight, their own stones flew off which removed their ability to resist bone breaking injuries from the direct blows of other Best. odds are, we'll see the main case become Best in their own way.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
To be fair, the entire cast seems able to resist bone breaking injuries considering being launched into the air is considered negligible though that's obviously more of a gag of random mobs being launched aside by the heroes.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

and that the guy with the crocodile mask is literally called Crocodile.

Very minor as it was, that was probably my favorite part of the episode. I had a good laugh out of it.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Man, I really want to love this show, but there is something off-putting about it. These two episodes felt like they were narrated by a 10 year old with ADD.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
woah the op song and vid rules

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Haha, I love this show, I just hope it can keep up the same energy (and quality) for the rest of the series. Also that roller coaster insert song was Jet Set Radio as gently caress.

this is the part of the show i liked. the annoying but great guitar vader-esque singing. everything else was pretty meh

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
This show made me smile through most of it, and that is good. I guess I'd call it style over substance though, since there's really not much going on. It's also a warning sign that all the interesting characters are apparently getting left behind here, but given the gimmick of "from the perspective of a background character" I'm assuming they're going to meet a succession of eccentric Bests in other districts they travel through.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

The Devil Tesla posted:

And when you have cool looking poo poo but viewers feel bored? You really hosed up then.

This captures more or less how the first episode felt for me, actually zoned out a couple of times which is really unusual for me.

Liked the second episode much better, though at this point there's still something missing. Guess it will be the three episode test.

P.S. Muto Yasuyuki (script writer) also has the dubious honour of having been script writer for Bible Black.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I liked this episode much better than the first one. There was more action, and things seemed to happen. We'll see how things continue next week when there isn't a "best" in the protagonists.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CuLT posted:

This captures more or less how the first episode felt for me, actually zoned out a couple of times which is really unusual for me.

Liked the second episode much better, though at this point there's still something missing. Guess it will be the three episode test.

P.S. Muto Yasuyuki (script writer) also has the dubious honour of having been script writer for Bible Black.

Everyone has to start somewhere.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I hope this show remains as good as those first two episodes

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
I love how everyone but the main characters fly off the rollercoaster and one of them says basically "we're background characters, we're used to being blown sky-high on a daily basis."

Wolfman Nards
Apr 5, 2011

I can't tell if the setting for this show is sci-fi, magic, or magitech. I think I'll just go with anime. The setting is anime.

Nat
Apr 3, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Can Wit really keep up this level of animation? It didn't work out too well for them too well with AoT. :ohdear:

I love the animation, the style, and the little details, but I'm just not sure they can stay consistent.

Attack on Titan was plagued with production problems. I wouldn't worry about it too much until you see Animation Directors drop out of the project.

Now as for the actual episode, although I loved this one a whole lot more than episode #1, it felt as if these first two could have been one single episode. I'm all for exposition, but not at the cost of me caring about who should be the main character. It feels like an overly long prologue for something as simple as "four girls travel around the country beating people up". And in all honesty I want to see more of Masami and Shingyo now, thanks to their incredibly long amount of screen time, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore, seeing as both of them are out of commission for two whole months. With that said this was a rocky start but (I hope) at the very least Masami and Shingyo are out so it can start focusing on whomever the main character is, and the misadventures of the main mob. Also the Rest getting blown away while the main characters stuck inside the roller coaster was cute.

I didn't realize that the Sengoku Basara screen writer was working on this project until someone pointed it out, that explains the amount of crazy shenanigans going on. It's going to be a fun ride from here on out.

edit: The attention to detail is great, for example Hibiki showing up as a background character in episode 1, and the photo Nozomi's dad shows is pinned up on the wall. Or at least its up to the viewer to think that it is. Shingyo's theme is mad funky. :allears:

Nat fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 19, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nat posted:

Now as for the actual episode, although I loved this one a whole lot more than episode #1, it felt as if these first two could have been one single episode.

That wouldn't have worked, at all. I found the amusement park scene really satisfying, but it only worked because they had enough time to naturally transition and relate all of the cool elements they stuffed in there. I hope that they keep doing two parters, because the kind of sublime excess that they're going for needs that space to breathe.

But yea, I was kind of down on this show last week, but now that I'm more on it's level I'm liking it a lot.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
God drat it, I know an alligator mask when I see one! :argh:

Ai's adorable failed attempt at stopping the roller coaster was the funniest part of this episode for me, despite how simple it was compared to everything else.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Tokyo has been swallowed by Comiket apparently.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm glad that between this show and last season's Shingeki no Bahamut, giant red anime afros are making a well-deserved comeback.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Each time I see the OP of this show, I keep thinking that this is the K-on girls on a road trip through the Kill la Kill world. Anyways, episode was decent enough, though light on action. I'm not completely sold on the main cast yet, but I'm more interested in the world anyways with its cast of crazy Bests. Also happy to see that the show will probably keep checking in on the sister.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Allarion posted:

Each time I see the OP of this show, I keep thinking that this is the K-on girls on a road trip through the Kill la Kill world. Anyways, episode was decent enough, though light on action. I'm not completely sold on the main cast yet, but I'm more interested in the world anyways with its cast of crazy Bests. Also happy to see that the show will probably keep checking in on the sister.

I think it's definitely confirmed that the stones that they are looking for are connected to, at least, certain aspects of the Bests' powers.

Also is the robe and hat thing a sly reference to the 30 year old virgin Wizard thing or is it just Comima being weird?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

I think it's definitely confirmed that the stones that they are looking for are connected to, at least, certain aspects of the Bests' powers.

Also is the robe and hat thing a sly reference to the 30 year old virgin Wizard thing or is it just Comima being weird?

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Xelkelvos posted:

The rest of the world is cosplaying Kill La Kill, so Tokyo is rebelling by cosplaying Little Witch Academia.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It might not have been as fun as the last couple episodes, but I really like what they've set up, and the style is still great. The directing is a little weird though.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I'm really enjoying this so far, but I'm such a sucker for beautifully animated, over-the-top poo poo like this that I wouldn't even care if there was no coherent plot.

I saw "1987" in the credits and couldn't figure out what in this anime could possibly be from that year. I eventually decided it must be music, and expected it to be some old anime reference or something.

Nope, it's the song in the opening!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B44S8edyhw

aers
Feb 15, 2012

There's a ton of Blue Hearts references, I believe all the episode titles are their song names.

Eagerly awaiting the Kaiji episode.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

explains why i love the op, blue hearts with a jsr vibe

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Mentat Radnor posted:

I'm really enjoying this so far, but I'm such a sucker for beautifully animated, over-the-top poo poo like this that I wouldn't even care if there was no coherent plot.

I saw "1987" in the credits and couldn't figure out what in this anime could possibly be from that year. I eventually decided it must be music, and expected it to be some old anime reference or something.

Nope, it's the song in the opening!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B44S8edyhw

Holy poo poo no wonder I recognized it. I love the Blue Hearts, go watch Linda Linda Linda if you can.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQQUEicr6d8

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 27, 2015

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah that movie and the blue hearts are both real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Do those Roombas have animes on them?

• Locked thread