Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

That was a really awesome concert. I also liked Mamechiyo's shamisen part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

While the 'main' characters might be pretty bland, everything else about this show is consistently awesome. Stand out this episode was that guy with his James Bond rickshaw. And, ya know, staging a rock concert while being bombarded by Buddha shaped missiles.
I'm watching the missiles streak across the sky and I'm wondering. "Who makes the missiles? Do they have a military industrial complex that sells Buddha shaped missiles to the various city-states? Why would a stage also have a massive self-defense mechanism built-in? How much energy do the lasers use?"

And then, "That drummer sure can play for an old guy! I didn't know a Shamisen could be played like that!!"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Dan7el posted:

I'm watching the missiles streak across the sky and I'm wondering. "Who makes the missiles? Do they have a military industrial complex that sells Buddha shaped missiles to the various city-states? Why would a stage also have a massive self-defense mechanism built-in? How much energy do the lasers use?"

And then, "That drummer sure can play for an old guy! I didn't know a Shamisen could be played like that!!"

We know who made the missiles. It's the evil carpenter guys who also made the weapons in every arc so far. They made the deathtrap roller coaster, they made the roomba bomb, they blew up the shachihoko and they made the Buddha missiles. Turning innocuous things into bombs seems to be their specialty.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dan7el posted:

The stage canons are probably from the war. I was expecting a mighty riff to blow away some o the missiles though.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I liked everything about this episode. This is a good show.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Main mystery of the show, for me, is why the hell Chiaya turns into an octopus... thing when she falls asleep. It's happened at least twice so far, what's up with that?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mikl posted:

Main mystery of the show, for me, is why the hell Chiaya turns into an octopus... thing when she falls asleep. It's happened at least twice so far, what's up with that?

It's the next evolution of moeblob

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Mikl posted:

I remember the time where she ended up in the freezer, when was the other time?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Starsnostars posted:

I remember the time where she ended up in the freezer, when was the other time?

Latest episode, when they fall asleep in the club and Mamechiyo comes in to steal Misa's stone.

Also, checking earlier episodes, there's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it instance in the same episode as the freezer bit, around the 11 minute mark when Dandy is attacked by the guy who only talks in revs. Everyone ducks, and Chiaya is in her "octopus" form.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Mikl posted:

Latest episode, when they fall asleep in the club and Mamechiyo comes in to steal Misa's stone.

Also, checking earlier episodes, there's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it instance in the same episode as the freezer bit, around the 11 minute mark when Dandy is attacked by the guy who only talks in revs. Everyone ducks, and Chiaya is in her "octopus" form.

Of course, I'm not sure how I forgot that as it was the most prominent example.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

What does it say about me that I didn't know the octopus-thing was a recurring thing and that it was actually Chiaya until now? :shobon:

Granted I was wondering why Chiaya was frozen cold in episode 5 and what the hell that thing bouncing around after getting stepped on was in this episode. However, it never seemed important enough for me to care and there is so much weird stuff in this show that it wasn't all that noticeable or significant until I learned that the octopus-thing is one of the main characters.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
That was great. My favorite since the opening episodes, for sure. It regained the frenetic energy that's been lacking these last few.

The concert was awesome, but it was also lame. A rock concert with the crowd wearing matching ponchos is lame, even with the sky ablaze with cannon fire.

It's weird how Funimation and Crunchyroll are opposite on which songs they subtitle (OP/ED vs. insert).

Edward IV posted:

What does it say about me that I didn't know the octopus-thing was a recurring thing and that it was actually Chiaya until now? :shobon:

Granted I was wondering why Chiaya was frozen cold in episode 5 and what the hell that thing bouncing around after getting stepped on was in this episode. However, it never seemed important enough for me to care and there is so much weird stuff in this show that it wasn't all that noticeable or significant until I learned that the octopus-thing is one of the main characters.

This is me, too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Didn't expect a Stand By Me reference.

I think this episode almost had some plot too.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 7, 2015

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The scene in the tent in the morning was cute. But poor Chiaya...

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Zoom in. Enhance.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Nice. This show has so many fun details.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
You know, apart from a couple of occasionally-deployed running gags, I'm really not sure what you'd lose if you cut Yukina from the story. She doesn't seem to have a thematic or emotional connection to... anything, really.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

You know, apart from a couple of occasionally-deployed running gags, I'm really not sure what you'd lose if you cut Yukina from the story. She doesn't seem to have a thematic or emotional connection to... anything, really.

Your post makes me realize that I really don't know any of the four main girls' names. It seems to me that they could just as easily and effectively been one or perhaps two instead.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Do anime studios do this on purpose or are they just sloppy with misspellings?

I suppose it's funny either way.

Also, all I could think of was that she's a cannibal!

This episode left me with way, way more questions than answers. At least we now know why Chiaya turns into the octopus at times. When the most difficult questions of any mystery need to be answered -- aliens is always the best and final answer.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

English is not their first language so silly mistakes occur.

Also she turns into a octopus weiner not a an octopus.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Also she turns into a octopus weiner not a an octopus.

Yes. This.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SW3CsdR8nk

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Well this episode was wierd. Wierd-er, since the show was already bizarre on its own.

I'm really liking this show. It's not the best, but it's nice and cute and I'm definitely looking forward to the episode each week, which is more that I can say about other shows.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wish the main characters had more to them other than just being generically cute, I know that they're more there to enable the story to focus on the journey and meeting the actually fun characters but four of them seems a bit much if you're not going to bother giving them personalities other than 'gets lost a lot'. I still like the show since it's not really about them and it occasionally looks amazing but if the remaining episodes focus on the stones and Chiaya being an alien like it's pointing to then eh.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think they're basically there to be proxies for us laymen/women, but with a few simple personality traits so they are at least somewhat interesting.

The Chiaya being an alien reveal was pretty bland though, and despite the absurd amount of plot (absurd for the show at least) I didn't really like it much. It's not a bad episode, but not that good either. I just hope wherever we're headed it was worth this setup episode.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I wish the main characters had more to them other than just being generically cute, I know that they're more there to enable the story to focus on the journey and meeting the actually fun characters but four of them seems a bit much if you're not going to bother giving them personalities other than 'gets lost a lot'. I still like the show since it's not really about them and it occasionally looks amazing but if the remaining episodes focus on the stones and Chiaya being an alien like it's pointing to then eh.

Don't worry! There are two other subplots they have to resolve at the same time so the alien story may not be the entire finale. One subplot seems to be Momotaro except with an Ostrich and a Sloth instead of a Pheasant and a Monkey and the other looks to be part of Kaguya-Hime.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I got bored, I thought episode 8 was great, and I'm pathetic, so I wrote an extremely timely transcription of Stones, the ending insert (mostly by ear).

山を超えて 谷を超えて
川を流れ 石は転がる
足りない頭で考えて
足りない何かを探してる
僕ら小さな冒険者 
時々道に迷って 途方に暮れるけど

Over mountains and through valleys
And down rivers roll the stones
Trying to figure things out with our lacking heads
Trying to find what we're lacking
Each on a tiny adventure
And while we may get lost on the way -

青い春を転げる名無しのストーンズ
蹴っ飛ばされて 弾かれて
すり減る日々に 丸くなるなよ
歌いながら僕らは
この世界を笑い転げて
明日へと!

The nameless stones roll on through the verdant spring
Spending their lives being kicked, turned, and worn down
But never turning quiet and round
We'll sing as we roll with laughter across the whole world
And roll into the future!

:rock: shamisen

ドロに塗れ埋もれて 名無しのストーンズ
選んだ道は 違うけど
苔生すなんて まだ早いだろう
似合わないだろう

The nameless stones are covered with dirt
And they've chosen different paths, but
We're not gathering moss just yet
It's not for us anyway

青い春を転げる名無しのストーンズ
蹴っ飛ばされて 弾かれて
すり減る日々に 丸くなるなよ
歌いながら僕らは
この世界を笑い転げて
明日へと!

The nameless stones roll on through the verdant spring
Spending their lives being kicked, turned, and worn down
But never turning quiet and round
We'll sing as we roll with laughter across the whole world
And roll into the future!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Despite the thread title, show still not about roller derby.

Very misleading!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tonight on Rolling Girls: My Two Moms - giant robots!

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
The show seems like it's going somewhere finally, but I'll be damned if I know where, or what's going on most of the time.
It's still very pretty though!

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Has this show regained the energy of the first 2 episodes yet? The next couple I watched after were so bleh in comparison.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The show was a scheduling disaster but at least we can look back fondly on some of the greatest background art work ever seen in TV anime http://imgur.com/gallery/SymLR/

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

AND THAT'S 3 SQUARE MEALS IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Now that it's done, I can say that I enjoyed the ride. It was bizarre and strange and all kinds of ways but ultimately a satisfying ride with some really gorgeous art.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Disappointed that the show didn't end with all the heart stones turning blue.

Also wow, that finale sure had a lot of Stones remixes, huh? Did the Hammerburns only ever do one song?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
What did the numbers on Ai mean?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

What did the numbers on Ai mean?

She's well on her way to become a number two. And then it's only a last tiny step to become the number one aka a best.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

She's well on her way to become a number two. And then it's only a last tiny step to become the number one aka a best.

This is actually backwards. Through most of the show, she's just a One. While Haru and Ura are fighting over Momo, she becomes a Two. In the closing credits, after climbing that rock in the ocean or whatever, she becomes a Three. This ties into what her dad told her that she won't be able to do anything until she's a Five.

I used spoilers to be polite, even though the show is over.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Oh, ok. Well, good for her anyways.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Oh is the show over already?

I'm sorry I wasn't a better thread host and didn't keep up with the show beyond episode 3 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Oh is the show over already?

I'm sorry I wasn't a better thread host and didn't keep up with the show beyond episode 3 :(

After that little early slump, it definitely "got better" though it was more just the plot became clearer. I'm still not sure what Yukina's role really was in the story, but it was still a great journey and the ending didn't disappoint at all.

• Locked thread