Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I wasn't really expecting them to switch gears so dramatically so soon. Both of the bests the show opened with were dramatic, larger than life and eccentric characters. Now we have Thunderoad who is just a petty, short-sighted and stupid child despite her enormous power being the basis of the strongest prefecture nation. Heck, without even trying she is already more villainous than Shigyo who reveled in playing the villain, and she had a roller coaster of death! Pity that that rest girl (who is obviously the bomber) believes in her so strongly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
It's a double-edged sword, having an otaku run your state security, but I guess when you base your state's culture around an endless Comiket you don't consider many other options.

Guess this also means that Rolling Girls is secretly a series of Blue Hearts music video covers that will end with a giant Battle of the Bands for the last heart-piece?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'd be fine with that. Anime music videos are the best anime anyways, as seen in the case of FLCL.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

roombas did 9/11

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Rickshaw died for our sins

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

aers posted:

There's a ton of Blue Hearts references, I believe all the episode titles are their song names.

Yup, that is the case. Also they had a song called The Rolling Man. It's blue hearts all the way down.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I can't believe this show would throw its characters in a fridge.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Since nobody has been really posting about this show at all, would I be right to assume it fizzled out after those first two episodes?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I still like it...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah, it's still pretty fun, I guess it's just not the sort of show that generates a lot of discussion?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ah okay. Good to hear it didn't poo poo the bed after a good start, then!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Food racing prefecture seems like a pretty cool place. It's a pretty chill show in general, which is ideal for a road trip adventure. It looks like every district has become exaggerated versions of their economy/tourism spots, Mie being pottery and food, and Aichi being vehicles. Someone more familiar with Japan could probably explain better, I'm just skimming off of Wikipedia and that's the impression I'm getting.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Srice posted:

I would still say the first two episodes have been the highlight so far, but it has continued to be enjoyable and I'll keep watching it.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

If this were a traditionally weak winter season and I was less busy then I'd probably continue watching this, but alas cuts have been made.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I haven't been keeping up with it as much as I would've liked due to work and school, but I'll try to catch up when I'm not horribly busy/lazy. I would agree that the first two episodes were the highlight of the show so far, but I'm willing to keep watching just to at least see where it ends up.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
It's a bit difficult to talk about this show, largely because the main characters are more like a vehicle to let us explore this alternate-universe Japan and less characters doing important things. Having said that, I'm still watching it for the pretty colors and occasional wacky fight scene. The Mie vice-chief who could only speak over the roar of his motor was kinda funny.

If you're looking for plot, there is some speculation that the President lady from their hometown is secretly collecting the heart stones in order to cure whatever is afflicting her daughter that caused her to wander around with a gas mask in the first few episodes.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think that was more to hide who she was since she was technically running away. Her mom is using the stones for some reason and feels like she needs to collect them and they seem to be tied to natural phenomena.

Also I'm watching this because its like the most colorful post apocalypse story I've seen. Like an entire nation splits apart into a ton of different states, people start getting super powers and everyone is still pretty chill. This would be a recipe for disaster in just about any other series.

vvvv
I seriously doubt thats the endgame. The girls mom seems to have an urgent cause to need them and not some nefarious "Lets watch the world burn" sort of thing.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 10, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Their society is built on proxy battles between bests instead of war. Gee, I wonder what will happen once all the bests have been tricked out of their stones?

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
So it's a grand plan to reunite Japan under one banner again?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Nah, I meant that once the bests are all gone, conflicts will again become wars. Maybe someone will come out on top eventually, but there will be a whole lot of suffering and death on the way.

For all that this is a mostly upbeat show, I somehow don't get the feeling that it will fall into the fantasy of an idealized warring states period. As awesome as sengoku basara is, those warlords were huge assholes.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope the guy that speaks only in bike revs wins.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Also I'm watching this because its like the most colorful post apocalypse story I've seen. Like an entire nation splits apart into a ton of different states, people start getting super powers and everyone is still pretty chill. This would be a recipe for disaster in just about any other series.

See, from the flashbacks in the first couple episodes, I'm thinking this has already happened and the Twin Tower Declaration fixed it with institutionalised Best fights. Basically, we're in the post-post-apocalypse.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If you haven't already noticed, the major Bests in each arc appear in the ED including future ones.

Since Dandy guy isn't a best, he doesn't appear even though he could probably go toe to toe with them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

If you haven't already noticed, the major Bests in each arc appear in the ED including future ones.

Since Dandy guy isn't a best, he doesn't appear even though he could probably go toe to toe with them.

I think he is a Best, it's just that he's got someone else holding his stone for him. He certainly seems to be the leader of his gang. I think it's less the Bests and more the most prominent characters of each arc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It just seems as though vigilante corps captain =/= best. That girl has had the mie captain's stone for years, so he wasn't a best either.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Serious Frolicking posted:

It just seems as though vigilante corps captain =/= best. That girl has had the mie captain's stone for years, so he wasn't a best either.

I think you've got it backwards. The captains are by definition Bests. Whether or not they have stones, or are superpowered thereby, is totally irrelevant.

Heck, apparently most people who have them don't even know that the stones give superpowers.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 11, 2015

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
I like the art and animation, I just wish the plot and characters weren't so boring.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have no loving idea what's going on in this show or where it's going... But it's pretty entertaining to watch, regardless.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's not that hard to follow. The race was ok, but Redline has effectively ruined all races for me it seems.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Allarion posted:

It's not that hard to follow. The race was ok, but Redline has effectively ruined all races for me it seems.

Not for me it seems. The revelation that this was basically Redline w/ tv budget but more sparkles only made it better.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
So Kyoto became the land of Rock. Did not see that coming. Fun set of characters for this episode too.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
the music character's name is Misa Ichijo

:siren:EXTREMELY SUBTLE MACROSS REFERENCE:siren:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Speaking of references, Shuten Doji is a legendary bandit/oni based on Mt. Ooe. So they're sort of reenacting that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The backgrounds are amazing in this episode.

The translation was tying itself in knots trying to keep the Kyoto people's speech quirks though.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

The translation was tying itself in knots trying to keep the Kyoto people's speech quirks though.
I wondered why spoke like Yoda, they did.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Srice posted:

Well, more like the show became a road movie instead of a wacky battle du jour.

Still enjoyable, and it certainly looks fantastic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

We had some wacky battle stuff this episode too, though it was pretty short. It included an FLCL-esque guitar to the face as well.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

I was a little bitter at the sudden shift in tone, but I'm definitely enjoying the current direction of the show anyway. This was probably my favorite episode largely because it feels like a sort of reconciliation between the whacky battles I feel like I was promised and the cute goofy road trip I actually got.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
The only thing I'm really upset about is that Alligator Mask isn't around anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

While the 'main' characters might be pretty bland, everything else about this show is consistently awesome. Stand out this episode was that guy with his James Bond rickshaw. And, ya know, staging a rock concert while being bombarded by Buddha shaped missiles.

• Locked thread