Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AnacondaHL posted:

This show is close to being interesting, but isn't quite there. Like a meal where you can tell it's missing an ingredient, but not immediately sure what is missing. It's a show that the three episode test was made for.

As an animan of discerning taste, I think it's clear that what's wrong is how hard it is for a viewer to figure out a point. While they spilled a thousand words explaining why Macha Green and clothespin lady were fighting, it was so convoluted that it ended up dragging the whole thing down.

Like, if they had just shown us this cool lady and this dork fighting, we could make our own narrative in our heads and get invested in figuring out what's going on. Or, you could build up the politics and characters of the show in the first half, so when they get around to fighting we know what it's about and why it's significant. Instead, they tried do both at once, and it ended up really messy and made what was some cool looking poo poo feel really boring. And when you have cool looking poo poo but viewers feel bored? You really hosed up then.

There's a good reason why the ramen fight later in the episode was much more enjoyable, and not just because an impromptu eating contest is hilarious in and of itself. We knew who the characters are, why they were fighting, and the results made sense.

This isn't the only show that's had a bad start like this, and there's some that have eventually found a fun grove. Another show by the screenwriter, Sengoku Basara, was the same way if I remember correctly.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Both this and Kyousogiga feel like something that started from the scribbles in the animator's notebooks in high school.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The_Frag_Man posted:

Uhhh.. maybe compared to KLK, sure.

Viggy has a disorder where they are unable to identify when something is supposed to be sexy.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Command Ant posted:

Bloody prudes, the whole lot of you.

It's true, whenever I see a boob I get the vapors.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nat posted:

Now as for the actual episode, although I loved this one a whole lot more than episode #1, it felt as if these first two could have been one single episode.

That wouldn't have worked, at all. I found the amusement park scene really satisfying, but it only worked because they had enough time to naturally transition and relate all of the cool elements they stuffed in there. I hope that they keep doing two parters, because the kind of sublime excess that they're going for needs that space to breathe.

But yea, I was kind of down on this show last week, but now that I'm more on it's level I'm liking it a lot.

• Locked thread