Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Do you love the setting of Kill la Kill but can't stomach the gross, creepy bullshit? If so, then you should watch:

The Rolling Girls is the first original anime by Wit Studio, whose pedigree includes Attack on Titan and Hozuki no Reitetsu, and is being directed by Kotomi Deai (Assistant Director for Silver Spoon and Director for its second season). It takes the fast and frenetic action of Kill la Kill, mixes it with the vivid imagery of Kyousougiga, and slam dunks it all into a wonderful kaleidoscope of insanity.

PLOT

Following the Great Tokyo War 10 years ago, Japan's prefectures have been divided into independent nations. Each nation is ruled by figures called "Mosa" (Best in the subs) along with an army called "Mobs" (Rest in the subs), who are locked in an endless struggle to dominate the other nations. Four "Mob" girls from the Saitama clan are ordered by their "Mosa" to travel around Japan and mediate battles between nations as they occur.

CAST

Nozomi Moritomo
VA: Ari Ozawa

A normal girl who's family runs the "Moritomo" restaurant in Tokorozawa. She's a new recruit for the "Hiyoshi Town Propellers" vigilante group and loves her neighbor Masami Utoku like an older sister. Her childhood nickname was "Nonsuke" and her favorite food is melonpan.

Yukina Kosaka
VA: Rina Hidaka

A tone-deaf runaway girl traveling with Nozomi even when it looks like she'd rather travel alone. Speaks politely if she's aware that she's being watched. Her childhood nickname was "Yukippe" and her favorite food is sushi with sake.

Ai Hibiki
VA: Risa Taneda

An upbeat girl traveling with Nozomi, she has a one-track mind, but has a big heart and adapts quickly to different situations. Her childhood nickname was "Uu-tan" and her favorite foods are hamburgers, curry rice, and grilled meat.

Chiaya Misono
VA: Yumiri Hanamori

A fanged girl tagging along with Nozomi in search of mysterious "power stones." For some reason, she knows the childhood names of Nozomi, Yukina, and Ai. Her favorite food is Moritomo Takoyaki.

Masami Utoko
VA: Ayumi Fujimura

Maccha Green
VA: ????????

Yukari Otanashi
VA: Nozomi Furuki

Shigyo Kuniko
VA: Fuyuka Ooura

President of Tokorozawa
VA: Sayaka Ohara

STAFF
Director: Kotomi Deai
Screenplay: Yasuyuki Muto
Character Designs: tanu/Katsuhiko Kitada

Show has been licensed for streaming in the US by Funimation.

The first episode actually turned out pretty solid! There's a lot of quirky and exciting stuff being poured into this show backed up by a lot of gorgeous animation. If they can pull together a good, cohesive story to go along with the awesome and fun-to-watch setting, this could turn out to be one of the best shows of the season.

Alfalfa The Roach fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Great Rumbler posted:

This needs to be somewhere in the OP:

Done and done.

The_Frag_Man posted:

This is a pretty bad outfit. Is it actually impossible to close that jacket?

It's kinda not great, yeah.

Can we just take a moment to appreciate how cool Masami is both in design and personality though.

I hope she doesn't disappear from the main cast too early because goddamn she works so well.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I love that everyone but Nozomi knew about Maccha Green's identity and that the guy with the crocodile mask is literally called Crocodile. Also Nozomi's dad is the best.

And yeah, hopefully the main cast can keep things interesting or they can keep running into even more crazy factions. Shigyo and Masami were a large part of what kept my interest, but if they can maintain the insanity, then we'll have no problems.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I haven't been keeping up with it as much as I would've liked due to work and school, but I'll try to catch up when I'm not horribly busy/lazy. I would agree that the first two episodes were the highlight of the show so far, but I'm willing to keep watching just to at least see where it ends up.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Oh is the show over already?

I'm sorry I wasn't a better thread host and didn't keep up with the show beyond episode 3 :(

• Locked thread