Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
can you imagine going like 80k in debt to learn everything there is to know, about the gay rear end romans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014

fanged wang posted:

can you imagine going like 80k in debt to learn everything there is to know, about the gay rear end romans

thanks to this thread, everyoine can

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

fanged wang posted:

what did you go to school for fanged wang and whats your profession. what are your hobbies and interests?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
A good way to troll racists is to call the Ottomans the Third Roman Empire.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
im a big gay nerd too i just dont think the romans were the bees knees and here is why:

they never did anything cool

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

fanged wang posted:

protomongols pwned the gently caress out of rome militarily like a thousand years before genghis and the mongols never got their poo poo pushed in by lol frenchman they were victims of their own runaway success which is probably the most baller way to fail as an empire

persians had like a bill of rights and were the most progressive and humane empire

rome was uh persistent i guess what is there to say about rome reading about rome is like watching star wars episodes 1-3

the mongols were also fine with including conquered peoples into their armies and stuff, along with local governors/governance.

they also got started on makign their own written language, etc. it's just the inheritance crises plus being originally a bunch of rootless nomads made it harder for them to consolidate properly after sweepign across the world

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
p. sure I'm the reincarnation of this dude:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

fanged wang posted:

persians had like a bill of rights and were the most progressive and humane empire

the achaemenids were ok

the parthians were a bunch of steppe barbarians and don'T loving COUNT OK TAKE IT FROM ME, A NOBLEMAN FROM SHIRAZ CIRCA 45 AD

the sassanids were theocratic shitheads on par with any other empire you'd care to name. i guess they were nicer to the jews than most, overall

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Accordion Man posted:

A good way to troll racists is to call the Ottomans the Third Roman Empire.

How many fake Roman Empires were there after the collapse anyway? It's a hard thing to just look up.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the best minor god was priapus

On a side note in roman culture a massive cock was seen as grotesque and barbaric.

here's a lovely poem, basically a big penis statue was a old school system scare robbers since Priapus was also
the protector of the home

quote:

Percidere, puer, moneo; futuere, puella;
barbatum furem tertia poena manet.
Femina si furtum faciet mihi virve puerve,
haec cunnum, caput hic praebeat, ille nates.
Per medios ibit pueros mediasque puellas
mentula, barbatis non nisi summa petet.

I warn you, boy, you will be screwed; girl, you will be hosed;
a third penalty awaits the bearded thief.
If a woman steals from me, or a man, or a boy,
let the first give me her oval office, the second his head, the third his buttocks.
My dick will go through the middle of boys and the middle of girls,
but with bearded men it will aim only for the top.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Or alternatively I'm this guy and his amazing bra hat

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

MegaGatts posted:

The romans also had a much more fleshed out auxiliary. The legions get all the credit, but they were just part of a well oiled machine of archers, artillery, and infantry.

and cavalry, who were a big deal. a lot of peopel credit superior roman cavalry to ending hannibal's 15+ year win streak

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
of course the oregonian sympathises wiht the plaid-wearing barbaroi

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

paranoid randroid posted:

of course the oregonian sympathises wiht the plaid-wearing barbaroi

see also: novelty beards, tattoos, piercings, unnecessary nudity

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

TEAYCHES posted:

weve had a lot of discussions about polearms recently, but why do you think legionary style sword and shields won out over pike formations in antiquity?

I put it down to the discipline, tactics, flexibility and the auxiliary of the romans.

Think about a phalanx. In order for it to be effective it needs to remain cohesive. that cohesion, because of their long spears, reduces the speed. The romans used various formations, some were slow and plodding like a phalanx, others offered maneuverability. The use of short swords gave them this flexibility. That means they could effectively disengage. That was the crux of Roman military dominance. Always having a fresh man on the line. A short sword lets someone fall back much easier than a 12 foot long spear. This combined with a well disciplined auxiliary core with archers and javelins made the Romans a nightmare for relatively undisciplined armies of their day. I don't care how good you are, fighting for for hours straight while being pelted with javelins and arrows will gently caress your army up.

Lets not forget the Romans didn't forgo spears all together, the triarii, the most veteran and capable soldiers of the Republic carried spears.

So, I feel, the short answer is flexibility. In the west at least. During this time the Chinese used halberd like weapons and would continue to do so for 2000 years.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Mange Mite posted:

and cavalry, who were a big deal. a lot of peopel credit superior roman cavalry to ending hannibal's 15+ year win streak

I credit Hannibal being a retard who invaded an empire with the only resupply chain being on the other side of a mountain range therefore causing him to recruit disloyal and untrained replacements by force to fight against their own people to his eventual defeat. I'm surprised that idiot lasted as long as he did.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Mange Mite posted:

see also: novelty beards, tattoos, piercings, unnecessary nudity

Few know the Naked Bike Ride of Portland actually dates back to the flight of Vercengetorix and his followers from the Roman-occupied Avernii city on their 12 speeds

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

Mange Mite posted:

the mongols were also fine with including conquered peoples into their armies and stuff, along with local governors/governance.

they also got started on makign their own written language, etc. it's just the inheritance crises plus being originally a bunch of rootless nomads made it harder for them to consolidate properly after sweepign across the world

the khan system was p bad

and yeah the thing that made it easy for them to conquer everything, being ruthless cowboy motherfuckers, was not conducive to sitting around administrating stuff and learning poetry.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

MegaGatts posted:

I put it down to the discipline, tactics, flexibility and the auxiliary of the romans.

Think about a phalanx. In order for it to be effective it needs to remain cohesive. that cohesion, because of their long spears, reduces the speed. The romans used various formations, some were slow and plodding like a phalanx, others offered maneuverability. The use of short swords gave them this flexibility. That means they could effectively disengage. That was the crux of Roman military dominance. Always having a fresh man on the line. A short sword lets someone fall back much easier than a 12 foot long spear. This combined with a well disciplined auxiliary core with archers and javelins made the Romans a nightmare for relatively undisciplined armies of their day. I don't care how good you are, fighting for for hours straight while being pelted with javelins and arrows will gently caress your army up.

Lets not forget the Romans didn't forgo spears all together, the triarii, the most veteran and capable soldiers of the Republic carried spears.

So, I feel, the short answer is flexibility. In the west at least. During this time the Chinese used halberd like weapons and would continue to do so for 2000 years.

see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8LiQFnkuJY

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

The Human Crouton posted:

I credit Hannibal being a retard who invaded an empire with the only resupply chain being on the other side of a mountain range therefore causing him to recruit disloyal and untrained replacements by force to fight against their own people to his eventual defeat. I'm surprised that idiot lasted as long as he did.

I like how the romans got so loving fed up of Hannibal&co trolling their empire that they razed all of Carthage

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
a bunch of woolly germans made an entire legion disappear like that plane, bc the romans were not that great at war

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MegaGatts posted:

The romans did have trouble facing the Macedonian style phalanx system.

Eventually they learned to hold back and look for gaps in the phalanx. The phalanx was a really unwieldy formation and over bad terrain gaps would naturally form in line.

The romans would send small groups of soldiers to charge into to the weak spots and start destroying the phalanx from the inside. Up close your phalanx only had a small dagger vs. a roman with a short sword.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

he expected to fight them and win, not get blueballed for 20 years. not to mention the fact that supply was way less organized back then period.

honestly one of hte big reasons the romans won in the end is because for whatever reason culturally they were able to tolerate the fabian strategy for as long as they did. standing by and/or running away while foreigners burn down your heartland is drat hard to keep up in terms of political will, discipline, etc., and its impressive that they managed. i certainly wouldn't have bet on it.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
roman armies were regularly trounced by lol their own slaves

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

fanged wang posted:

roman armies were regularly trounced by lol their own slaves

It's okay to get beaten by Manu Bennet

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Mange Mite posted:

The cavalry were most def pretty important, but they never really had the numbers to rely on them. They were used mostly for harassing skirmishers and acting as the hammer to the legions anvil. Especially during the republic days. Anyone who had a horse had to buy it, feed it, and equip it themselves. But they were an important part to the Roman war machine. And calling their army a machine is really apt. it had so many moving parts and each part is rather ineffective without the others. However, when it was all working as intended it was pretty much invincible in its day.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Here's an album of some pictures I took from my trip to Rome, Pompeii and Ostia back in November for anyone interested

http://imgur.com/a/G65oF

this one is my favorite

if you're new in town you follow the dicks on the ground in Pompeii to find your way to the nearest Brothel

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Claudius Gothicus triumphed over the Goths.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

fanged wang posted:

a bunch of woolly germans made an entire legion disappear like that plane, bc the romans were not that great at war

Actually,

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

TEAYCHES posted:

Actually,

It was the chimps

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

what have you accomplished with your life you rotund retard

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mustang posted:

this one is my favorite

if you're new in town you follow the dicks on the ground in Pompeii to find your way to the nearest Brothel

lol

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

fanged wang posted:

youre leaving out the part where the germans couldnt capitalize ont his because all the other chieftains were too pissing their britches terrified of the romans to join up with arminius, and then the romans came back later and killed everyone on the german side of the river they could lay hands on

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Frostwerks posted:

what have you accomplished with your life you rotund retard

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
hannibal was such a badass the romans put statues of him up in rome

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

youre leaving out the part where the germans couldnt capitalize ont his because all the other chieftains were too pissing their britches terrified of the romans to join up with arminius, and then the romans came back later and killed everyone on the german side of the river they could lay hands on

i listened to the audiobook of i, cladius so i have a pretty good grip on all of this imo

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
hannibal was such a badass the romans chased him down halfway across the world to kill him because they were so freaked out by him just being alive

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

TEAYCHES posted:

i listened to the audiobook of i, cladius so i have a pretty good grip on all of this imo

the part where there's a fight between an elephant and a rhino was DAF (Dope As gently caress) imo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

hannibal was such a badass the romans chased him down halfway across the world to kill him because they were so freaked out by him just being alive

Mithridates VI got foiled and came back to fight again so many times I literally cannot imagine him without the voice of Cobra Commander

• Locked thread