Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

T.S. Smelliot posted:

She used to tell me stories about how in the 70s there were men who would learn there was a woman pilot and they'd refuse to get on the plane lol

Please start a thread. I would love to read that.

My mom got a Cessna 172 in the late-80's and whenever me as a ~5 year old kid would mention to people that we had a plane they would usually respond with, "Oh, your dad flies" and I'd say no, my mom is a pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Gobblecoque posted:

If I was the president and on my way out I'd probably want to play with one of our most extravagant ways of killing people one last time too.

Remember, you get two free hits, and if ya don't use em, ya lose em.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Quoted without comment: Actually commenting on this a bit. El Presidente has, after long and arduous process of negotiating with defense subcontractors, managed to not affect the unit price of the plane at all, but will, however, take any credit for it anyway.

A Man With Tiny Hands posted:

A lot was put out, and when they say a lot, a lot meant about 90 planes. They were having a lot of difficulty. There was no movement and I was able to get $600 million approximately off those planes.

Foxtrot Alpha posted:

it turns out Trump had nothing to do with it. At all. As the Post notes, the head of the F-35 program at the Pentagon announced a cost reduction of six to seven percent per plane on December 20th, days before Trump’s team actually started meeting with the defense industry.
If you do the math on that, a “six to seven percent” cost reduction for the most recent F-35 production lot would amount to—get this—approximately $600 million. Specifically, it would result in a cost reduction of “$590 million to $630 million.”

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/f-35-a-great-plane-now-thanks-to-president-trump-1791824958

Sormus fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 31, 2017

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
Lockheed has been promising a unit cost below $100M for a while now. A quick Google shows me this announcement from July.. I recall hearing that number even earlier, though, but it's hard to find it in amongst the news of the "new" deal. Lockheed has been promising a price below $85M by 2019 for a long time, though.

It's smart for them to go along with this, though. In addition to making Trump look good to his rube base, it makes the F-35 program look like it's become a good "deal," and might help them turn their PR around, at least in right wing media circles.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Lockheed has been promising costs of well under $6 for some time now

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?
Lockheed has been promising a plane for some time now

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?
This space saved for news on Australia cancelling their order due to being insulted by Trump

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

The delays in the F-35 program have probably saved the lives of many pilots. Lockheed's F-104 was responsible for destroying more Luftwaffe aircraft than the top 5 British WW2 aces combined. (Actually I think it's the top 6, but when it comes to F-104 accident rates you have to understate things so they'll sound believable.)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Syd Midnight posted:

The delays in the F-35 program have probably saved the lives of many pilots. Lockheed's F-104 was responsible for destroying more Luftwaffe aircraft than the top 5 British WW2 aces combined. (Actually I think it's the top 6, but when it comes to F-104 accident rates you have to understate things so they'll sound believable.)

On the other hand,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyBDEG9dg-Q

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hopefully trump insults our allies enough that they cancel, dooming the whole project

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The aircraft with the highest skill ceiling, and hardest of skill floors.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dandywalken posted:

The aircraft with the highest skill ceiling, and hardest of skill floors.

All aircraft have the same skill floor. It's called the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Indy posted:

This space saved for news on Australia cancelling their order due to being insulted by Trump

lol our prime minister has no spine and the one good thing to come from a trump presidency will be him getting negged on the regular

• Locked thread