Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Don Tacorleone posted:

Is it really? Goddamn videogames got really good looking while I was busy growing up

no it's just intentionally low-res and compressed so it would appear less like a video game , if you look at the video on youtube you can clearly see a player's name tag above the plane when it finishes the loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

emanresu tnuocca posted:

no it's just intentionally low-res and compressed so it would appear less like a video game , if you look at the video on youtube you can clearly see a player's name tag above the plane when it finishes the loop.

well modern games do look insanely good though, BF4 is already kind of "dated" amazingly however

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006
Protip: You can tell it's a video game because the F-35 is flying in the air and not currently on fire.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Shadeoses posted:

Guadalcanal being an uncontested complete victory over the Japanese, who resorted to suicidal bayonet charges because they had no ammo and couldn't escape the island after losing every single engagement since the first landing.

mostly the :qq: navy left us here and we had to fight off the japanese for a month or two with minimal support. they lionize the gently caress out of marine squadron that was there for some reason.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Where does the F-14 Tomcat fall in the spectrum of good to poo poo? Every young boys room was plastered with images of Top Gun dream Tomcats.

The early model tomcats were extremely poo poo, and it remained a goddamn maintenance queen throughout its service. For like 5 years or so after they were pulled from service you could look at the tarmac at NAS Oceana and see exactly where they parked the F-14's because there was F-14 shaped oil stains loving everywhere.

However the plane is absolutely loving gorgeous and fast as poo poo and I love it for all the wrong reasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqyI04WDZlQ

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

If you mouselook right there's a whole row of them plus a giant coffin for the Osprey as well.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
Is the Osprey still a deathtrap or just was one for decades? (Ignoring that it's taking you to places with Marines)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

David Copperfield posted:

Is the Osprey still a deathtrap or just was one for decades? (Ignoring that it's taking you to places with Marines)

It was a widowmaker throughout the late-90's, but people who've been around them since say that they're better than they used to be.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

It's not so much that it was a deathtrap, as Marines are dumb and love to cram troops into experimental aircraft.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

F-35 is basically the New Coke of military airplanes

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I like the A-10 and am sad it's going away

"A single plane is never going to be able to carry enough missiles to destroy an appropriate amount of commie tanks, what do we do?"

the answer is a machine gun so big that it fires bullets that can disable tanks, brilliant, love it, big guns all the way USA

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Thunderbolt III : the rear engines are replaced with two more cannons

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

Thunderbolt III : the rear engines are replaced with two more cannons

cannon software delayed until thunderbolt IV program

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

I like the A-10 and am sad it's going away

"A single plane is never going to be able to carry enough missiles to destroy an appropriate amount of commie tanks, what do we do?"

the answer is a machine gun so big that it fires bullets that can disable tanks, brilliant, love it, big guns all the way USA

You gotta love how it has old school shark teeth artwork on the nose too.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Raskolnikov38 posted:

cannon software delayed until thunderbolt IV program

what if the osprey's propellers were made of guns

do you know what this means?

troop transport and CAS in the same package

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

etalian posted:

Now post the a10 drivers coloring book

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

etalian posted:

That's a warthog

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33teK7L4DM4

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Frostwerks posted:

it is the platonic ideal of a ground attack aircraft

i think the russians woudl disagree:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mange Mite posted:

Now post the a10 drivers coloring book

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_053c.html

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mange Mite posted:

i think the russians woudl disagree:

You have let down our country and our Red Army. You have the nerve not to manufacture IL-2s until now. Our Red Army now needs IL-2 aircraft like the air it breathes, like the bread it eats. Shenkman produces one IL-2 a day and Tretyakov builds one or two MiG-3s daily. It is a mockery of our country and the Red Army. I ask you not to try the government's patience, and demand that you manufacture more ILs. This is my final warning. — Stalin

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I like seaplanes, they should bring those back.

Stick the F35 on pontoons so it can't melt the tarmac??

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mange Mite posted:

You have let down our country and our Red Army. You have the nerve not to manufacture IL-2s until now. Our Red Army now needs IL-2 aircraft like the air it breathes, like the bread it eats. Shenkman produces one IL-2 a day and Tretyakov builds one or two MiG-3s daily. It is a mockery of our country and the Red Army. I ask you not to try the government's patience, and demand that you manufacture more ILs. This is my final warning. — Stalin

That is legit my favourite Stalin quote.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Mange Mite posted:

lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Stalin would have sent Lockmart to the gulag

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
stay safe poverty ghost

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
As someone who managed production of a major component of military aircraft. LOL. Nice OP.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE
I know a critically acclaimed indie game that begs to differ, OP:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

gannyGrabber posted:

No, you fool! Then it will just melt the ocean.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

etalian posted:

Stalin would have sent Lockmart to the gulag

Honestly I can't think of a single WW2 soviet plane that wasn't developed in a gulag, I mean a "camp for aeronautical engineers"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bolow posted:

Honestly I can't think of a single WW2 soviet plane that wasn't developed in a gulag, I mean a "camp for aeronautical engineers"

US should open gulag for all major defense contractors.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

Bolow posted:

Aside from all the cardboard ones from before the war.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

gannyGrabber posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_F2Y_Sea_Dart

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

etalian posted:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

its not that the osprey crashed all that often it just holds a hell of a lot more dudes than a helicopter and for some reason every flight of this experimental aircraft was crammed full of guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gatts posted:

As someone who managed production of a major component of military aircraft. LOL. Nice OP.

Well don't leave us hanging. How did you make the F-22 give oxygen to the pilot?

• Locked thread