Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i cant imagine how hilariously it must own to be a higher up in the military and i dont mean a captain or whatever im talking the four star generals who can spend years wasting a trillion tax payer dollars and laugh it all off because as long as they dont gently caress up like accidentally dropping a nuke that explodes in the middle of New York there's not too much that will stop them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

etalian posted:

US should open gulag for all major defense contractors.

Robo Reagan posted:

i cant imagine how hilariously it must own to be a higher up in the military and i dont mean a captain or whatever im talking the four star generals who can spend years wasting a trillion tax payer dollars and laugh it all off because as long as they dont gently caress up like accidentally dropping a nuke that explodes in the middle of New York there's not too much that will stop them

Petraeus might get into trouble for leaking stuff to his biggest fan girl.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
yeah but doesn't leaking info normally turn in to a snowden situation where you're basically hosed and have to scratch out a living in russia? having to resign seems like small potatoes

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

yeah but doesn't leaking info normally turn in to a snowden situation where you're basically hosed and have to scratch out a living in russia? having to resign seems like small potatoes

In the case of Petraeus they found classified documents on Broadwell's laptop and he has a good chance of getting a felony charge.

also lol

Slapdash
Mar 30, 2010

Popular Thug Drink posted:

its not that the osprey crashed all that often it just holds a hell of a lot more dudes than a helicopter and for some reason every flight of this experimental aircraft was crammed full of guys

They needed to test it with realistic loads. Do you have any idea how expensive it is to buy sand bags from defense contractors?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Slapdash posted:

They needed to test it with realistic loads. Do you have any idea how expensive it is to buy sand bags from defense contractors?

It was hard either getting the marines to sign up for the deathtrap, they told them it had 5 cent beers onboard

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Slapdash posted:

it's hard to even turn into a joke because that's literally what they were doing, literally using ospreyloads of marines as Crash Test Dummies

Once there was this marine who
Got into an accident and couldn't come to formation
But when he finally came back
His hair had turned from black into bright white
He said that it was from when
The osprey had smashed him so hard

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Reminder that it would literally be cheaper and more effecient to give a group of MIT undergraduates a budget to design a warplane on and have them do it as a end of year project then it would be to continue to suck bullshit excuses out of jockheed shartins 1 inch micropenis.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

etalian posted:

In the case of Petraeus they found classified documents on Broadwell's laptop and he has a good chance of getting a felony charge.

also lol

I actually got that 'book' out of the library and remember thinking 'man this is awfully glowing and its kinda weird how she emphasizes how swole Petraeus is" when I tried to read it and put it down after like two chapters.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Please don't make me sperg about this again.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Blistex posted:

Here are three (of many) reasons why the F-35 will never fail, not matter how much of a failure it is.

which one is the bottom one?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

blowfish posted:

which one is the bottom one?

Japan's new aircraft carrier helicopter tender destroyer.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

What would you guys say that the three biggest faults with the f35 is? LIke, there are so many of them i can't keep my head straight.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Eastbound Spider posted:

What would you guys say that the three biggest faults with the f35 is? LIke, there are so many of them i can't keep my head straight.

The engine bursts into flame when put under stress (stress involves taking off and landing, and 5 degree turns).
It has at most 4 missiles and < 0.02 seconds of main gun fire. It will be replacing the A10 as a close support fighter
The plane can't take off if the fuel is too warm.

Those arent necessarily the biggest, just my favourites.

EDIT: Also it hasn't killed any marines yet so its still beaten out by the Osprey.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 15, 2015

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Otisburg posted:

it's hard to even turn into a joke because that's literally what they were doing, literally using ospreyloads of marines as Crash Test Dummies

ahahahaha

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

cool game not sure what it has to do with the F35 though?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

emanresu tnuocca posted:

that gif is from battlefield 4, btw.

Battlefield 2 actually.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Ludicro posted:

Battlefield 2 actually.

:thumbsup:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Blistex posted:

Japan's new aircraft carrier helicopter tender destroyer.

Well Japan at least has an excuse for buying a totally-not-aircraft carrier that just happens to be suitable for lovely stovl jets :v:

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i love my hosed up tiny carrier

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

VectorSigma posted:

i love my hosed up tiny carrier

You shouldn't.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Iamblikhos posted:

I know a critically acclaimed indie game that begs to differ, OP:

pretty sure the f35 does not have this kind of range

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/12/the-tragedy-of-the-american-military/383516/

quote:

And the main effort of military leaders through the past decade, under the Republican leadership of the Bush administration and the Democratic leadership of Obama, has been to get rid of the A-10 so as to free up money for a more expensive, less reliable, technically failing airplane that has little going for it except insider dealing, and the fact that the general public doesn’t care.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

This plane does not get nearly enough love.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
in 5-10 years the f35 will be underproduced and barely used and we just build cheaper drones instead

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

As soon as adamantium is invented you'll all see how good the F35 really is

the adamantium is only used inside the engine for maximum safety and efficiency

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

old dog child posted:

Now all I can think of is wolverine going *snickt* and then suddenly bursting into flames while a bunch of guys in red jumpsuits run in to put him out.

"Who the gently caress let him drink warm liquor?"

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

use the missile bay thing for a heat pump to cool the fuel that cools the aircraft

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
the f35 will only function while encased in a giant refrigerator

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

420DD Butts posted:

the f35 will only function while encased in a giant refrigerator

we will make this refrigerator fly

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

old dog child posted:

we will make this refrigerator fly VTOL.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

old dog child posted:

we will make this refrigerator fly

gis seems to indicate "f4" is also a band of real life singing bishonen mans

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

wtf why was our F-35 boondoggle imbroglio thread get closed?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Prettz posted:

wtf why was our F-35 boondoggle imbroglio thread get closed?

All the good threads in GBS got closed to make room for more poo poo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

I actually got that 'book' out of the library and remember thinking 'man this is awfully glowing and its kinda weird how she emphasizes how swole Petraeus is" when I tried to read it and put it down after like two chapters.

She should have written a bicep exercise book instead.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

use the missile bay thing for a heat pump to cool the fuel that cools the aircraft
the extra heat adds more energy to the warhead reactants prior to detonation. win-win.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Prettz posted:

the extra heat adds more energy to the warhead reactants prior to detonation. win-win.

Changelog F.35 Alpha 8.2.43.1
-Fuel overheating issue solved.
-Missiles removed due to premature detonation issues.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

old dog child posted:

- Adamantium turbine blades show tendency to break loose mid flight and cut entire plane in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pneub posted:

- Adamantium turbine blades show tendency to break loose mid flight and cut entire plane in half.

also create a obvious weakness against a megalomaniac with magnetic control superpowers.

• Locked thread