Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Hobohemian posted:

I like 3 way more than New Vegas. DC was just a cooler post apocalyptic landscape. The desert? Who loving cares about the desert?

when I got 3 I thought my tv had hosed up because everything had a greenish tinge so I bought a new one

durr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
NV was pretty loving retarded because the story makes the barbarian faction out to be super badass and the leader is supposed to be way hardcore, but you can literally walk right into the guy's tent, kill him and all his general guys, walk out and nothing will change in-game.

The entire story is based around getting the ncr to back off and the bad guys to either retreat or die and literally the easiest, shortest and most logical way to accomplish that goal doesn't have any effect on anything. How do you gently caress that up?

site fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 13, 2015

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I play Bioware games exclusively for the hot romances don't even beat them just start the game over as soon as I do one conquest so I can start on the next once I do all the romances I've 100%ed the game.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Dead Money I think carried it's theme the best out of all the DLC. The theme of "You have to let go" was in pretty much every facet of the story, characters, and so on.

Ending spoilers: I liked how at the end you have a huge pile of gold that you can sell for loads of caps. But you can't take it all with you without massively cheating. You gotta let (most of) it go.

New Vegas is the real Fallout 3. Anyone who doesn't pick the Wild Wasteland perk is playing the game wrong.

Still need to cheat in the Your Console Sucks gun. If I had to choose, I would get rid of wild wasteland.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Hobohemian posted:

I like 3 way more than New Vegas. DC was just a cooler post apocalyptic landscape. The desert? Who loving cares about the desert?

dc was terribly designed in the game, whereas new vegas had a fantastic design. plus new vegas expanded on the new california republic plotline which is cool because it's the best faction in the game imo.

basically everything was better in new vegas, including the writing (3's writing was barely tolerable at best, which is odd for a RPG), the level design, the game play, everything.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I was listening to a podcast about FO3 New Vegas and some nerd was going off about how it took him way too long to find Felicia Day's companion character. He was pissed that he managed to finish the main quest without finding her.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

New Vegas was terribly designed and the open world was pretty sucky but it's still a trillion times better than the laughable shitfest that was FO3.

Also the series will never be any good until they make even barely competent FPS combat, which will never happen.
Getting rid of the horrendous garbage analhole that is VATS would be a good first step.

Hold on, let me pause this pitched firefight so I can watch my guy shoot someone in the head 10 times clunkily until it slides off unsatisfyingly like a stitched up doll in retarded slomo while a cockroach nibbles my ankles but the game is still trying to make it look cool.

What a joke.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Flying Fortress posted:

Fisto? "Buzzz, whirrr...I...I can't feel my legs..."

kinky

e: hey, I have a question. If you do the Helios 1 quest and send power all over the Mojave, and then later try to recharge Euclid's C-Finder, it won't work huh? Because you need to channel all power to Archimedes I guess. Is there any way to re-direct the power after the fact?

I was going to use it to kill the Deathclaws at Quarry Junction but in the end I just plinked away at them from a distance with Ratslayer which also did the trick

Stahp

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
I saw primm irl, there are dinosaurs and nearby is the solar farm.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

JebanyPedal posted:

New Vegas was terribly designed and the open world was pretty sucky but it's still a trillion times better than the laughable shitfest that was FO3.

Also the series will never be any good until they make even barely competent FPS combat, which will never happen.
Getting rid of the horrendous garbage analhole that is VATS would be a good first step.

Hold on, let me pause this pitched firefight so I can watch my guy shoot someone in the head 10 times clunkily until it slides off unsatisfyingly like a stitched up doll in retarded slomo while a cockroach nibbles my ankles but the game is still trying to make it look cool.

What a joke.

i disagree with your opinions, but i will defend to the death your right to have them

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Concerned Citizen posted:

i disagree with your opinions, but i will defend to the death your right to have them

I hate that you disagree and hope legislation will be put through to silence you forever.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

JebanyPedal posted:

I hate that you disagree and hope legislation will be put through to silence you forever.

that was uncalled for aggression

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
How come no-one seems to be bothered that both F3 and NV are so lacking in big, dense cities like the old games?. When F3 came out I was really looking forward to exploring locations similar to The Hub, Junktown, NCR, Vault City, etc in 1st/3rd-person, which wasn't the case. Megaton is like a tiny settlement in F1/2 terms.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

psyman posted:

How come no-one seems to be bothered that both F3 and NV are so lacking in big, dense cities like the old games?. When F3 came out I was really looking forward to exploring locations similar to The Hub, Junktown, NCR, Vault City, etc in 1st/3rd-person, which wasn't the case. Megaton is like a tiny settlement in F1/2 terms.

Nah, you're right, the old games were entirely about exploring post apocalyptic society, not wandering around the abandoned remnants. New Vegas tried to get more into that but you still spend tons of time in dungeons and empty space.
The first two were definitely unique in that. And that's partly why their atmosphere was so great.

Entering Modoc in the dead of night, with that sad bucolic music playing. Shivers man.

Frisky
Apr 2, 2012

What turtle?
video games are for children

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Hobohemian posted:

I like the setting, New Vegas is more of a Western than a post apocalyptic game.

Also Honest Hearts made me look up Zion National Park and now I really want to go there since it looks really nice.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I didn't play NV until it was on a steam sale for 5 bucks because I thought it was a F3 expansion for YEARS

NV rules. I liked the kinda janky, lovely vampire the masquerade vibe I got from it.

The only story I have is approaching the town where everyone got butchered. A naked dude ran down the trail toward me screaming that he won the lottery.

I let him go, and kept wondering... What lottery??? I wanna win a lottery! So I turned back down the hill and sniped him to death with my lovely rifle. Turns out the lottery was just a loving ticket.

Go into town and find a bunch of disabled people and a burned out building. gently caress this.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

psyman posted:

same reason why skyrim/oblivion have such small towns. it's a combination of the gamebryo engine being a pile of poo poo and xbox 360/playstation 3 having insufficient memory to make large bustling locations

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Concerned Citizen posted:

same reason why skyrim/oblivion have such small towns. it's a combination of the gamebryo engine being a pile of poo poo and xbox 360/playstation 3 having insufficient memory to make large bustling locations

Focus is also just different. Bethesda games are about exploring atmospheric wilderness and dungeons with environmental storytelling.
Which isn't a bad thing by any means. FO3 was pretty good at it despite its fucktarded writing, horrendous quest design, any anything approaching decent gameplay.
Skyrim is insanely cool to explore with visual and NPC mods.

Flying Fortress
Oct 23, 2008

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I didn't play NV until it was on a steam sale for 5 bucks because I thought it was a F3 expansion for YEARS

NV rules. I liked the kinda janky, lovely vampire the masquerade vibe I got from it.

The only story I have is approaching the town where everyone got butchered. A naked dude ran down the trail toward me screaming that he won the lottery.

I let him go, and kept wondering... What lottery??? I wanna win a lottery! So I turned back down the hill and sniped him to death with my lovely rifle. Turns out the lottery was just a loving ticket.

Go into town and find a bunch of disabled people and a burned out building. gently caress this.

my first playthrough I followed the prompts and listened to Vulpes whatisname give me his spiel, but the next time I played I just lobbed grenades into the group of Legion dudes and loving killed him right off the bat. Feels good man.

FNV is great. I like that you can get Cass as a companion by beating her in a drinking contest.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I like that you can murder anyone.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

JebanyPedal posted:

I like that you can murder anyone.

For real. In the end you can still finish just fine, you just lose the OPTION for some endings.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

I always got lost or stuck in fo3 in some of those maze like bunkers

nv is supreme in every way

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

GET MY BELT SON posted:

I always got lost or stuck in fo3 in some of those maze like bunkers

nv is supreme in every way

Getting to the radio station the first time around is a real bitch. Even with the compass markers and the chalk on the walls it got confusing.

Also, because you got a perk with every single level in FO3, it feels like you become super powerful a little too quickly. NV was more of a throwback with the delayed perk, even if it was just every other level.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bullet sponge supermutants EVERYWHERE.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

JebanyPedal posted:

Bullet sponge supermutants EVERYWHERE.

gently caress that, the mother loving reaver ghouls. No naked, skinless being should be able to withstand more damage than an APC. Or mutant swamp-billies.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I like the shooting mechanics of new Vegas way more too.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I chose energy weapons the first time around and it starts out gimped but becomes OP as gently caress once you have a plasma rifle and dead enclave start providing an unlimited supply of ammo. Then I played unarmed which was fun. Small Guns would be great if finding the specific ammo for my weapon of choice wasn't a pain in the rear end.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I chose energy weapons the first time around and it starts out gimped but becomes OP as gently caress once you have a plasma rifle and dead enclave start providing an unlimited supply of ammo. Then I played unarmed which was fun. Small Guns would be great if finding the specific ammo for my weapon of choice wasn't a pain in the rear end.

That's the problem with fo3. You use pretty much the Chinese assault rifle exclusively until you get a plasma rifle / energy weapons going. My favourite weapon in that game was the Lincoln repeater and new Vegas had a lot more guns that were technical like that. I had a lot of fun with all of the technical guns with a low rate of fire and NV has a lot of those.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Weird. When I went to bed last night I was in a universe where FO3 was good, and the only positive thing you could say about NV was that the boring effort free landscape was nicely bookended by the limp humorless story.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Frankenstyle posted:

Weird. When I went to bed last night I was in a universe where FO3 was good, and the only positive thing you could say about NV was that the boring effort free landscape was nicely bookended by the limp humorless story.

the idea that fallout 3 is better than NV can be refuted by the single fact that fallout 3's ending had a plot hole so blatant it had to be filled with a dlc. (send the loving radiation-immune mutant into the chamber jesus)

it's like the epitome of every lazy decision made by bethesda.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Frankenstyle posted:

did you have a goatee in this evil mirror universe

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Dead Money I think carried it's theme the best out of all the DLC. The theme of "You have to let go" was in pretty much every facet of the story, characters, and so on.

Ending spoilers: I liked how at the end you have a huge pile of gold that you can sell for loads of caps. But you can't take it all with you without massively cheating. You gotta let (most of) it go.

New Vegas is the real Fallout 3. Anyone who doesn't pick the Wild Wasteland perk is playing the game wrong.

dude you literally only need 100 sneak in order to just moonwalk outa that vault with all the gold, very slowly. It flabbergasts me to see how many people just forgot you can sneak past old beardy goon man

edit: and yeah anyone who thinks 3 is a better game is a retard who never played the original fallout games.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

mookface posted:

I like the shooting mechanics of new Vegas way more too.

Well the ironsights made it so it was possible to actually hit something out of the sludge-retardation only-works-half-the-time abysmal abomination that is VATS.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Also Fallout 3's story is a cobbled together turd-faced Frankenstein from plot points from Fallout 1 and 2 except everything is executed worse and is less profound or interesting, it's literally taking Fallout 1 and 2's plot and characters and making them dogshit and then throwing in an idiot robot and saying PLEASE MAKE UP FOR EVERYTHING ELSE.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Enclave was the only cool part about 3 and I wish they made it so you could become it's leader or w/e. To bad Bethesda is allergic to making good games. See: every game they have made after Morrowind.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Satsuki Kiryuin posted:

The Enclave was the only cool part about 3 and I wish they made it so you could become it's leader or w/e. To bad Bethesda is allergic to making good games. See: every game they have made after Morrowind.

Also another thing taken from FO2 and made worse.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

JebanyPedal posted:

Well the ironsights made it so it was possible to actually hit something out of the sludge-retardation only-works-half-the-time abysmal abomination that is VATS.

so you ragequit the first level of deus ex then

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I played throught new vegas a bunch of times and never used vats. There was just never a need for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

gggiiimmmppp posted:

so you ragequit the first level of deus ex then

No, but I was a retard kid back then and could tolerate JC Denton suffering from cerebral palsy.

• Locked thread