Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Astro Panda posted:

I'm not a business/finance anything, and I probably only know this from watching Dragons' Den, but equity is when you literally buy a part of the company. That means you have a say in the operations and, say if the company is later sold off, you get a share of what it's sold for. You're a partner in the company, basically. If the equity is for more than 50%, then you're a majority shareholder, which means you technically control the company. The sharks/dragons like doing this if they like a product/company, but don't trust the entrepreneur to not gently caress everything up.

I believe you can be the majority shareholder if your equity in a company is greater than any other shareholder, so sometimes it can be less than 50%, but that's only really the case with established companies where many people own 0.01% equity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
You can be, but if people who own 51% band together they can do things like force a sale, or a restructuring, etc. Each bit of equity is counted as a 'vote' or whatever with a strength equal to its percentage, so not owning 51% puts you in a dangerous position, as the other guys can team up and force you out or muck up your business.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
http://youtu.be/OvG8iB4LPk4?t=11m16s

Lady selling her "condiment that will change your lives", "Slawsa" a combination of slaw and salsa.

They ask her where her money comes from and she breaks down it tears explaining that her and her husband have lived very frugally :psyduck: What? Why is that something to be sad about? Is she harboring this deep grudge against her husband for not letting her spend more money or something? I just don't get it. Good for you! You aren't swimming in credit card debt! Why are you crying?

E: This whole episode is good. Opens with a pretty wonky invention getting chased out, ends with a promising pitch that slowly goes more and more and more south.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 07:21 on Jan 30, 2015

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Murphys Law posted:

Hahaha, "Are you too passive aggressive to even come up with your own way to be passive aggressive? We'll sell you some passive aggressive for $60!"

I love Mark Cuban.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Moberri, dumb Portlander with dumb idea of attaching a blender to an exercise bike as a smoothie shop gimmick gets shut down immediately by Kevin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PsM3UIfjSg

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

GrandpaPants posted:

Moberri, dumb Portlander with dumb idea of attaching a blender to an exercise bike as a smoothie shop gimmick gets shut down immediately by Kevin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PsM3UIfjSg

Oddly enough there are several places in my area (a different part of Oregon) where this is the gimmick for their smoothies and they are all wildly successful. Kid's love standing around the exercise bike watching the dude pedal up their drinks, it's a lot of fun.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The best episodes have Kevin O' Leary in them. My two favorite things he does:
1.) Starts out with something like, "you are lucky I'm here", which turns into "because someone has to tell you this is loving stupid and you need to kill this idea".
2.) Response to not having a patent: "What's stopping (Brand) from crushing you like the cockroach that you are?"

I love it.

The Canada version has that weird tattooed guy with long hair who constantly recites poems instead of commenting, which is awful and fantastic in it's own way.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but it also means they can talk each other out of it. I know I've seen at least once after the person went to go talk on the phone, when they came back the Shark was like "well, you gave me time to think about it, and I don't want this deal anymore" :v:

Here's a good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AfeqPc4uf4&t=13m48s

Couple pitches their marital aid. Its called the 'elephant in the room' and its... a stuffed animal in a plastic box that costs $60.

The sharks all crack up when they hear the cost and point out that you can get stuffed elephants for $3.

They put in $100,000 of their friends' money. Kevin points out "they won't be friends for long!" :haw:

By marital aid I thought you meant the other kind of marital aid.

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...
http://youtu.be/VbDmvKSqdlg?t=1m30s

Idiot wants to make REALLY bad cat drawings for $10 each and sell them online, somehow gets Mark Cuban to give him $25k.

And checking the website, somehow managed to be profitable.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Schizophrenic Orb posted:

Idiot wants to make REALLY bad cat drawings for $10 each and sell them online, somehow gets Mark Cuban to give him $25k.

Mark Cuban is a smart man who understands the value of stupid cat poo poo on the internet.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GrandpaPants posted:

Mark Cuban is a smart man who understands the value of stupid cat poo poo on the internet.

Yeah it isn't as dumb as it seems on the surface, really. The turnover seems fast enough with great profit margins. Won't take long to get your money back, and if something does happen, Mark Cuban regularly moves around ten times that much. He wouldn't even notice the hit.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
From the same episode as the cat drawings, there is a dude who is selling a program to make people into better salesmen. I get the distinct feeling that as soon as he starts saying how he is a top sales guy, all the Sharks have decided that they are going to try to embarrass him or show that the Kool-Aid doesn't work on them, because he get ridiculed and doesn't get any deals. Then Kevin O' Leary says something like, "I guess you weren't the top salesman :smug:". The dude was riding the line between arrogance and confidence, but I think the Sharks turned off immediately to not look like they were buying into his sales tactics.

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yeah it isn't as dumb as it seems on the surface, really. The turnover seems fast enough with great profit margins. Won't take long to get your money back, and if something does happen, Mark Cuban regularly moves around ten times that much. He wouldn't even notice the hit.

What's amazing is that, given the number of drawings he says he'd made when they filmed (~1200), and the amount his website currently says he's sold, even if he was only making $5 per picture Mark has still made his money back at 33%.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Firstborn posted:

From the same episode as the cat drawings, there is a dude who is selling a program to make people into better salesmen. I get the distinct feeling that as soon as he starts saying how he is a top sales guy, all the Sharks have decided that they are going to try to embarrass him or show that the Kool-Aid doesn't work on them, because he get ridiculed and doesn't get any deals. Then Kevin O' Leary says something like, "I guess you weren't the top salesman :smug:". The dude was riding the line between arrogance and confidence, but I think the Sharks turned off immediately to not look like they were buying into his sales tactics.

I think he took a huge hit when Daymond gave him the "sell me this pen" test and he failed to do anything to wow them. You can't roll in and say "I'm the best salesperson in the world!" and come back with a mediocre response to that classic sales test.

Also how he was constantly trying to shift toward doing a mobile app and a "videogame" when they were trying to get at that they wanted him to do seminars and the usual kind of thing.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I don't think it was that bad, but I guess I'm not a very good salesman. I think he was dead on arrival when he comes in and says, "I'm really good at this, listen here". There was another guy in a later season I was actually watching last night, I think he was selling some sort of thing to hide X-mas lights when it's not the season, but because he started with "I'm in the top 2% of sales where I work", it set them off to try and squash him.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

When you said "really bad" it didn't nearly prepare me. I was still expecting to see pictures of cats.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

This amateur poo poo is like cartooning 101.

Half the cats have the same :cheeky: face, the other half have the same :) face. Its all super super low-effort stuff, and really dumb too. Like, I would honestly expect this was a 9-year-old's work if you didn't tell me different :v:

"I want to draw a cat for you I want to draw a cat for you I want to draw a cat for you I want to draw a cat for you"

This is the whitest rap of all loving time. And the sharks are eating it up. :stonk:

Seriously, ordering cat drawings online? This is a joke right?
Edit: I think everybody sees it as a joke but him.

Firstborn posted:

They can be dicks sometimes.

http://youtu.be/CiKAnf40QdI?t=1m29s

This guy seems like he has an alright idea, maybe a little fringe but nothing too crazy compared to some on Shark Tank. But right off the bat he tells them he has an online business that is doing very well, and all the sharks just pretty much tell him to gently caress right off with his plan to grow a retail business and get them to invest in that. They're not remotely interested, and they keep pushing him on selling them equity in his successful online business that he never wanted to sell, and doesn't need money for.

I've heard Sharks lament before that they weren't being offered a part of the bigger business, but they usually just bring it up as an arguing point and then move on. But on this one they just go on and on about it.

Also Kevin O'Leary saying "I forbid you!" is up there with "crush you like a cockroach"

"You're trying to put my money in harms way when I can put it safely in your business!" No, you can't, because he's not offering that business. Jackass.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 08:56 on Feb 1, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
That video where they are fighting so hard for a completely separate business is disgusting. It's also kind of awesome that the guy is like, "I make 600k profit a year in this other business, I have no reason to sell you 18% for 75k. It doesn't need 75k."

It's so good to see them on edge and drooling with greed over this dude's business that isn't even being offered.

The golf club that you pee in from the same episode is pretty great.

Firstborn has a new favorite as of 09:36 on Feb 1, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Firstborn posted:

That video where they are fighting so hard for a completely separate business is disgusting. It's also kind of awesome that the guy is like, "I make 600k profit a year in this other business, I have no reason to sell you 18% for 75k. It doesn't need 75k."

It's so good to see them on edge and drooling with greed over this dude's business that isn't even being offered.

The golf club that you pee in from the same episode is pretty great.

Yeah that golf club one was funny. Everybody writes it off except the one guy who is like " you know, this is the perfect gag gift for golf fans"

To his credit the urologist is totally cool with treating it as a novelty joke product as long as he gets it sold.

Lots of people that go on the show have delusions of grandeur. That guy said he put like 300K of his own money in, but then sold a big chunk of the company to the shark for way way less, right? I think he had already been humbled and was happy enough to just get something back from it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

http://youtu.be/CiKAnf40QdI?t=1m29s

This guy seems like he has an alright idea, maybe a little fringe but nothing too crazy compared to some on Shark Tank. But right off the bat he tells them he has an online business that is doing very well, and all the sharks just pretty much tell him to gently caress right off with his plan to grow a retail business and get them to invest in that. They're not remotely interested, and they keep pushing him on selling them equity in his successful online business that he never wanted to sell, and doesn't need money for.

I've heard Sharks lament before that they weren't being offered a part of the bigger business, but they usually just bring it up as an arguing point and then move on. But on this one they just go on and on about it.

I think the sharks have a point, though. They take umbrage in that the kiosk itself isn't a proven business and thus his valuation is worthless UNLESS he offers up the online part as a sort of collateral. They're not being purposely obtuse, the guy is literally asking them to shoulder all the risk while he still has the safety net of the online business. It's a pretty bad deal for the sharks, especially since I imagine that something like custom bobble heads would do a lot better online than in a mall.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Well, he seemed open for providing insurance for their investments, but that got brushed aside pretty quickly.

I just realized one of the shark's claim to fame is... FUBU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQrwHO_r4Cg - Starts around the 20 minute mark. The self-proclaimed best shoe salesman in the world (who made 64k last year) wants to start a franchise where women give her 100k for a pink SUV. Directly after, juice made out of Llama poo poo. Patent pending.

E: In fact, this whole episode is great. After the Llama people there's a great Umbrella product.

Firstborn has a new favorite as of 10:25 on Feb 1, 2015

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
I tried to find a better version of this, but alas.

Wired Waffles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q8L1DK6O1c

Worth mentioning for people who (rightfully) dislike Kevin. Beyond that, uhh, product name speaks for itself.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIgdGTg5mSw

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Holy poo poo!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

That dude probably got told "I already have one of these" by everyone he pitched it to, showed it to, or even mentioned the idea to. This is his breaking point, on live television, in front of the most influential investors he'll ever meet in his life.

It's one of the most beautiful moments ever recorded.

So of course it's fake.

Astro Panda
Dec 21, 2012

Do you even LOTR?!
Guys, please.... Please.... Read the video description...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Trumpet

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Apple turnover was a giveaway but I got a laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsYBQQyzeNY

At about 19:00, these guys introduce a water purifier that condenses water from the air. Neat idea, until the dragons taste the water at 28:20. Ouch.

Plus it's a pyramid scheme.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

I think the sharks have a point, though. They take umbrage in that the kiosk itself isn't a proven business and thus his valuation is worthless UNLESS he offers up the online part as a sort of collateral. They're not being purposely obtuse, the guy is literally asking them to shoulder all the risk while he still has the safety net of the online business. It's a pretty bad deal for the sharks, especially since I imagine that something like custom bobble heads would do a lot better online than in a mall.

Yeah but he was only asking for like, what 70K? Not very much. And they give him crap like he's asking for a ton. 70K will barely pay for a few part-time employees and renting a space for part of a year, not even a full year.

I get if they thought it was a bad investment, but then just tell him you're out. And even then I could kinda see what you're saying, ask for some collateral. But they don't want that. They just straight up say to him, cancel plans for retail, and sell us part of your business.

If he's not going retail, he has no reason to sell his other business. At the very least asking for part of both would kinda make sense.

:lol:

I think I already posted this but its still gold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmlx-e_u0i8

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 23:00 on Feb 1, 2015

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Old Boot posted:

I tried to find a better version of this, but alas.

Wired Waffles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q8L1DK6O1c

Worth mentioning for people who (rightfully) dislike Kevin. Beyond that, uhh, product name speaks for itself.

This is great just for watching Mark Cuban call Kevin O'Leary out.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Been going through the recent season of Shark Tank. Ran across this bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci_3j89yo6k

Three women develop (or pay people to develop), admittedly, a dating app that sounds pretty great. It sounds like they're doing well. They don't share the user number right now, but uh, hey whatever. They're gonna make a million bucks in sales this year.

Problem is, they've already lost all of it. They're taking $100,000 salaries themselves while their company isn't making poo poo. They expect to break even at $10 million a year. Mark Cuban offers them $30 million for it right now, they turn it down immediately.

It comes off like a scam. Who the hell spends $300k on salaries for the three owners when their venture is poised to lose a million this year? And if they're losing one million at one million in sales, how does the figure of breaking even at ten million make sense? I understand their costs increase with a higher userbase but that scalability sounds loving awful.

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 07:24 on Feb 3, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

All my time watching Shark Tank I've been waiting for somebody to do this

http://youtu.be/fXsz6F9dR8g?t=28m49s

They ask for $300K for 15% , aka $2M valuation.

:v: "Why is the value of your company worth $2 Million dollars?" "That's insane... I'm out"
:confused: "...We never thought 2 Million..."
:v: "Then why did you say that??!"
:confused: "... oh ... I see how you're calculating it..."
:v: "Where were you a manager at?!"

Also they've spent $400K already.

This is a goldmine for quotes.
Mark Cuban asks them what they're going to do, and responds with "Horrible, Horrible, Horrible, Horrible, did I say it was a Horrible Answer?"
"We would have been profitable except we went to Europe!" "What do you want to do with the money?" "Go to Europe!" :doh:
"We made a lot of mistakes with our money"
"Would you agree to allow me to put an ankle bracelet on each of you, every time you said 'Europe' You got a 50 volt shock?"
"I'm out. I'm so out, I'm in Europe."

Also Bingo for Kevin Leary saying "Crush you like the cockroaches that you are"

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Feb 4, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

All my time watching Shark Tank I've been waiting for somebody to do this

http://youtu.be/fXsz6F9dR8g?t=28m49s

I love that Mark Cuban was quoting Kevin there, but wow, it's not at all a surprise why these two were let go. It's a shame, too, the product looked like it could actually be decent if it were actually managed well. I'm really surprised that Daymond didn't ask for more equity, since I imagine he would be the one doing literally all of the business stuff. I was actually expecting Robert and Daymond to offer to straight up buy out the company for some money, since clearly those women had no idea what they were doing.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
How about the Amplify Tree, in which a woman from PEI tries to market a Christmas tree for any occasion customized with creepy mannequin heads? My favourite is where Kevin starts asking her about her valuation and Arlene just jumps in with, "No, Kevin, let's just say no." Like, don't be cruel to this poor woman who's obviously a nut.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dogfish posted:

How about the Amplify Tree, in which a woman from PEI tries to market a Christmas tree for any occasion customized with creepy mannequin heads? My favourite is where Kevin starts asking her about her valuation and Arlene just jumps in with, "No, Kevin, let's just say no." Like, don't be cruel to this poor woman who's obviously a nut.

:stare: The gently caress did I just watch?

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010
So how much of Canada's population is just completely insane? Cause from the look of Dragon's Den Canada I'd say a solid twenty five percent of you guys probably shouldn't have access to sharp objects.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Solice Kirsk posted:

:stare: The gently caress did I just watch?

just don't give up on your dreams

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dogfish posted:

That isn't a product, that's an art installation.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Double-post, but this time I come bearing content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ejTLILKGQ

This entire episode is everything you can ask from Dragon's Den. Some really fun inventions, some absolutely insane ideas, and a huge pitch that has them all frothing at the mouth.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I saw Copa de Vino at the gas station by my house. Son of a bitch did it!

Dogfish posted:

I kept waiting for Kevin to say "nutbar factor 6" but he upgraded her to "nutbar factor 7" :argh:

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

That isn't a product, that's an art installation.

Yeah that was my thought exactly.

Its like the Fragile leg lamp from A Christmas Story or something.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 05:45 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Welfare
Feb 12, 2009

Centrelink's Finest

Zaphod42 posted:

http://youtu.be/OvG8iB4LPk4?t=11m16s

Lady selling her "condiment that will change your lives", "Slawsa" a combination of slaw and salsa.

They ask her where her money comes from and she breaks down it tears explaining that her and her husband have lived very frugally :psyduck: What? Why is that something to be sad about? Is she harboring this deep grudge against her husband for not letting her spend more money or something? I just don't get it. Good for you! You aren't swimming in credit card debt! Why are you crying?

When I read things like this, Zaurg's (BFC anti-legend) old title about his wife having panic attacks about not being in enough debt no longer seems amusing, but completely accurate.

Madness.

• Locked thread