Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Man, was that awkward. Here's another MLM with the douchiest douches that ever douched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2mVs12eRcA

Take a drink every time they high five, it'll get you plastered.

Holy gently caress this is just a trainwreck.

Content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAY2xvGzdpA

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 08:28 on Jan 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah and during this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZGc1dV7tU8 (where the male Dragons all look pretty slimey) you have Kevin being like "okay piss off, give us time to talk among ourselves". I guess if you have the money, you get all the power though.

I've seen, on Dragon's Den Canada, a ton of times where they're more than happy to let people go out in the hall and discuss the deal or even call up another partner that didn't make it that day. Shark Tank is just a piece of poo poo show most of the time. Think it's just the nature of American reality shows

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GrandpaPants posted:

Robert in the segment with the silver water segment was great. Dude was very obviously pissed as hell and it was a bit scary to see the usually cool guy seething at that guy.

Edit: For some reason, it feels like the sharks in general really dislike hesitation. Daymond has definitely backed out of a deal with people who can't make a firm decision. I think Cuban does that a bit too. Lori, Barbara and Robert don't really seem to give a poo poo.

Along those lines, I think it's weird when the sharks are offended when the pitchers want to see if the other sharks have an offer.

I think it's just a tactic for the American version, to increase the pressure on the people coming in to pitch their products. Lord knows American reality TV is all about tension, and if they don't have to spend as much time making anxiety-inducing cuts and putting in obnoxious sound cues, all the better.

I mean, it sure as hell isn't good business sense. I'm sure all of the people on there give a ton of thought to anything involving that much money.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GrandpaPants posted:

Mark Cuban is a smart man who understands the value of stupid cat poo poo on the internet.

Yeah it isn't as dumb as it seems on the surface, really. The turnover seems fast enough with great profit margins. Won't take long to get your money back, and if something does happen, Mark Cuban regularly moves around ten times that much. He wouldn't even notice the hit.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

That dude probably got told "I already have one of these" by everyone he pitched it to, showed it to, or even mentioned the idea to. This is his breaking point, on live television, in front of the most influential investors he'll ever meet in his life.

It's one of the most beautiful moments ever recorded.

So of course it's fake.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Been going through the recent season of Shark Tank. Ran across this bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci_3j89yo6k

Three women develop (or pay people to develop), admittedly, a dating app that sounds pretty great. It sounds like they're doing well. They don't share the user number right now, but uh, hey whatever. They're gonna make a million bucks in sales this year.

Problem is, they've already lost all of it. They're taking $100,000 salaries themselves while their company isn't making poo poo. They expect to break even at $10 million a year. Mark Cuban offers them $30 million for it right now, they turn it down immediately.

It comes off like a scam. Who the hell spends $300k on salaries for the three owners when their venture is poised to lose a million this year? And if they're losing one million at one million in sales, how does the figure of breaking even at ten million make sense? I understand their costs increase with a higher userbase but that scalability sounds loving awful.

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 07:24 on Feb 3, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dogfish posted:

How about the Amplify Tree, in which a woman from PEI tries to market a Christmas tree for any occasion customized with creepy mannequin heads? My favourite is where Kevin starts asking her about her valuation and Arlene just jumps in with, "No, Kevin, let's just say no." Like, don't be cruel to this poor woman who's obviously a nut.

That isn't a product, that's an art installation.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Double-post, but this time I come bearing content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ejTLILKGQ

This entire episode is everything you can ask from Dragon's Den. Some really fun inventions, some absolutely insane ideas, and a huge pitch that has them all frothing at the mouth.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GrandpaPants posted:

I have no idea how the Bevboy even got two offers. Two really good offers considering that they have like no sales, the pitchman has negative charisma, and the product is crap. Kevin was absolutely in the right on this one.

It may be stupid, but never underestimate dumb novelty products you can market to drunks.

Zaphod42 posted:

It was either posted earlier in the thread or it was in an episode that was posted, but yeah I remember that one. I don't think he got a deal though.

I just watched one the other day where Kevin O'Leary took his pants off on live tv. Of course, he wears whitie tighties. I would post a link but nobody wants to see that.

Oh and there was one where Kevin brings this guy they made a deal with on Dragon's Den to the set of Shark Tank to talk to Mark Cuban about their product. Its some app for hockey teams and fans and he wants Mark to take it on for the Mavs.
Mark takes 1 minute to look at the app and then tells him absolutely no way. You can see in Kevin's eyes that he realizes he made a poo poo deal. I should find that one...

I believe you're looking for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IGV6Si_zso&t=1378s

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 01:22 on Feb 10, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

This starts out pretty straightforward, I figure they're going to demo some new & improved gadget to speed up getting the meat from a lobster or something. Then it really takes a turn for the weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nqQ4wPS9wg&t=26m55s

That was NOT the product I expected them to be pitching.

What in the good goddamn?

I barely even see what could be considered a human shape in that poo poo.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
"We want to sell information about futures trading."

"How much have you made?"

"I lost over 10k."

Strong argument, can't believe they passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
So I recently came across this little segment.

https://youtu.be/GsPbdcYtY8Y?t=549

These ladies want to sell ice. But not just any ice, no, specialty ice. Their ice is smaller so it won't damage blenders. They want to sell spherical ice that doesn't melt as fast in your drink (which, practically, doesn't work out that well actually). They want to make a connection with the way you chill your drink.

For some loving reason Arlene gets taken along for the ride with this crap, even though you can achieve all this with some cheap ice trays and molds off of Amazon. I think it's just because Kevin points out that there isn't exactly a lot of room in the market for bulk ice and she wants an excuse to get in an argument.

• Locked thread