Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE-
poo poo got real in Nepal, 7.9 Earthquake which has devastated the region. The two days of tremors have sent Nepal's economy back by 10 years. Donate some money at these sites (more to be added.)
Medecins sans Frontieres
Julian Lennon will personally match your donation
SAR dogs Nepal - search and rescue dog team in Nepal.
Live to Love (based in Nepal so best way to get money to the source)

Actionaid

Unicef

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everest is the highest mountain on Earth. 8848 metres of rock.

It was first knowingly ascended by Tenzing Norgay and Edmund Hilary in 1953. Since then more than 4000 people have summitted, and around 250 have died trying. A lot of those people are still up there, and have become landmarks for other hopeful climbers. The most notable one is known affectionately as 'Green boots', and resides in a cave close to the summit.

Dorje Morup aka Green Boots

There is a lot of controversy about the bodies on Everest, and every year people ask why they can't get the bodies down. For a start, even though climbing Everest is much 'easier' these days thanks to modern technology, you are still battling conditions at an altitude of cruising jets, with 30% of the oxygen you are used to. Your body is actively eating itself and you have to climb a single fixed line that is also being used by loads of other climbers of varying skills, under an incredibly strict time window. It is not a place where rescues happen easily, let alone chipping decades old bodies from a rock face. The air is too thin for helicopters - the highest ever rescue took place in 2013 and that was a struggle at 7000 metres.

Everest has been a source of fascination for me since the first thread I read on SA back in 2011, and I have read and digested more than I care to remember. A good place to start is to read 'Into thin air' by Jon Krakauer which is about one of the most famous years on Everest. 1996 was the year that 15 people died, 8 in one night when they were caught in a terrible storm. It was made into a tv movie and is currently being adapted into a big budget movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le3D-fUA_XU

2006 was another bad year, with another large death toll, including one David Sharp who was stranded next to Green Boots and left to die while people passed him by to get to the summit. The 2006 year has a lot of footage available for us to watch, as there were at least 2 tv crews up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZLCIpovtkU
This is a good tv show but you will hear a LOT about Tim Medvitz's injuries. Also 'Ever-ever-ever-ever-rest rest rest' There are 3 seasons of this, the first two are definitely the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_CMD4R0ufk
This series follows some guys from the British army attempting to try to climb the quite frankly terrifying West Face, which has only been successfully climbed by 19 people, and it has killed 21 people.

2014 was hotly anticipated by goons after some notable failures in previous years, including this unfortunate Canadian Lady in 2012 who photoshopped herself into some mountain scenes as part of her climbing preparation.

It didn't end well.

Unfortunately for everyone the 2014 season was abruptly cut short when an avalanche killed 16 sherpas, making it the deadliest year in Everest's history. The remaining Sherpas refused to work out of respect for their colleagues, and probably knowing it was next to impossible to do without them, all expeditions were cancelled. This included a crazy bastard who wanted to Base Jump from the summit.

This blog post goes into a little of what we can expect this year, and somehow I feel this quote sums up what Everest is all about these days.

quote:

Many of the guides I spoke with said they have been approached to host film crews, but said the crews had no “story line” and were going to be there in case there was another tragedy. Apparently there are as many as 8 separate crews preparing to be at base camp.

So, bring on the climbers!! The avalanches!! The endless arguments about why they can't 'put a slide at the summit'!!

Also feel free to talk about other mountains, such as Everest's slightly smaller but much angrier cousin, K2, known affectionately as 'The Killer Summit' - it will eat you and literally chew you up, depositing your remains at its feet. Also caving, diving and any other sort of extreme sport which we can get freaked out by.

I have a youtube playlist with some more mountain documentaries on here-
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1rmbexoLhFeYR86FqBnY01-OKSEuG1eT
Previous Threads-
I can't wait.

eta- Mountain pug

=======================
ETA we had a bit of a dual thread situation going on, here is Last Chance's excellent image laden OP.....

EDIT- [url=http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/[/url] is a good place for up-to-date news on this year's events.

edit edit!
COMPETITION!!!

Deathpool! Pick a number of fatalities for the 2015 climbing season, get it right, win prizes! There is a maximum of 3 guesses per number of fatalities, they're filling up fast! Prizes will be books and your own personalised drawing (by me) of you atop Everest.....
Here is the current list....

The North Tower posted:

Updated list - we're pretty much out of the typical range by now, with 2-15, 17 and 26 all taken - sorry if you weren't able to enter with a number you wanted, but I did follow request solely in chronological order, and there's always next year for the big 20-year-anniversary party!

enziarro, bonus for 3 dead climbers, sherpa quintuplets

stab

Zo

Pick
HEY VAPER

2s are all taken for now
SaltLick
SteveVizsla
sleepycat

3s are all taken for now
Pale Ale, with a bonus for all climbers, no sherpas
Demonachizer, with a bonus if one of them is a Count
Gripen5, with a bonus for 1 sherpa, 2 climbers

4s are all taken for now
Minrad
captainobliviou, with a bonus for K2 having more than Everest
Bunnita

5s are all taken
Angela Christine
polpotpotpotpotpot
I Greyhound, with a bonus for all climbers, no sherpas

6s are all taken
Dely Apple
Grim Up North
StoneOfShame, with a bonus of Alyssa Azar being one of the deaths

7s are all taken
elwood
The North Tower
redreader:
<8 (Caltrain deaths as of the end of the day March 13, 2015, PST) - (please pick an exact number to be eligible for the prize--locking you in at 7 for now)

8s are all taken
LongDarkNight
Ogive
mistressminako

9s are all taken
Plinkey
Fatkraken, with a bonus for 6 on the Tibetan side and 3 from the Nepalese side
Catpain Slack, with a bonus for 2 sherpas and 7 climbers

10s are all taken
Chris!
effervescible
lilljonas, with a bonus for 2 sherpas and 8 climbers

11s are all taken
Doctor Schnabel
Paramemetic
Default Settings, with a bonus for one being spectacularly stupid

12s are all taken
Rondette
Catpain Slack:
2-12 (2D6), with a bonus for all climbers (please pick an exact number to be eligible for the prize) - locking you in at 12 unless you change it
spinst, with a bonus for 2 sherpas, 10 climbers

13s are all taken
Man Whore
littleorv
I Own Soulz

14s are all taken
Crusty Nutsack
Lolance, with a bonus for 2 sherpas and 12 climbers
Nuggan

15s are all taken
The Fuzzy Hulk
Van Kraken
Leperflesh

dirtycajun
Hijo Del Helmsley

17s are all taken
Picnic Princess
ranbo das
Sanguinary Novel, with a bonus for 2 sherpas, 15 climbers

gggiiimmmppp, all climbers

Daedra

BaronVonVaderham, 5 sherpas 17 climbers

26s are all taken
Leperflesh
Stoat
Germstore:
2-26 (1D6+1D20) (please pick an exact number to be eligible for the prize, and also pick your bonus, since 1D6 sherpa and 1D20 climbers is too vague) - locking you in at 26 for now unless you change it

Gehenomm, all climbers

Josef K. Sourdust

Happy Hedonist:

Butt Wizard

Here is a great mountaineering book list that was posted on page 22!

SteveVizsla posted:

I was in a bookstore the other day that had a ton on climbing, so I took photos of the fronts and backs and typed this up. I didn't include Touching the Void, Into Thin Air, High Crimes, anything by Krakauer, etc.

Everest

Everest - The First Ascent: How a Champion of Science Helped to Conquer the Mountain - Harriet Tuckey, 2014. This won a bunch of awards last year. Tuckey's father was Dr.Griffith Pugh, the scientist and strategist on Hilary's team in 1953 as well as the father of altitude medicine.

Blind Descent: Surviving Alone and Blind on Mount Everest - Brian Dickinson, 2014. Brian's Sherpa turns back 1,000ft from the summit, but dumb Brian decides to still try and summit, alone. He reached it, then lost his vision and had to climb down blind, relying on "his Navy survival training, his gut instinct, and his faith."

The Mountain: My Time on Everest - Ed Viesturs, 2013. Viesturs explores the history of the mountain, various tragedies, etc. while giving accounts from his 11 trips and 7 summits of Everest.

Dark Summit: The True Story of Everest's Most Controversial Season - Nick Heil, 2009. Largely focuses on the 2006 deaths, particularly David Sharp (the Brit who alive but everyone kept walking right by), but also goes into how the popularity of Everest is causing riskier expeditions, bad climbing teams out for money, idiots climbing, and all of the stuff we routinely talk about.

Above the Clouds: The Diaries of a High-Altitude Mountaineer - Anatoli Boukreev, 2002. Covers his life climbing, including Denali, K2, and the 1996 Everest climb. He died on Annapurna in 1997.

The Climb: Tragic Ambitions on Everest - Anatoli Boukreev, 1999. The 1996 Everest disaster from one of the climbers who saved people. This edition includes some stuff from after the tragedy, along with co-author DeWalt's rebuttal to Krakauer about Into Thin Air.

High Exposure: An Enduring Passion for Everest and Unforgiving Places - David Breashears, 2000. Climber and filmmaker Breashears explores the why of climbing, with particular focus on Everest and the 96 climbing season.

Left For Dead: My Journey Home from Everest - Beck Weathers, 2001. Weathers was part of the 1996 climb, was left for dead, but managed to survive. Covers the climb, his survival, and his "life journey."

My Father, Frank: Unresting Spirit of Everest - Tony Smythe, 2013. Frank Smythe climbed various Himilayan mountains in the 30s, and in 1933 reached within 800ft of Everest's peak.

Touching My Father's Soul: A Sherpa's Journey to the Top of Everest - Jamling Norgay, 2002. Jamling was the Climbing Leader in 1996. He blends the story of his 1996 climb with ones from his father's climb as well as giving an inside look at Sherpas.

K2

Buried in the Sky: The Extraordinary Story of the Sherpa Climbers on K2's Deadliest Day - Peter Zuckerman, Amanda Padoan, 2013. Follows the stories of the two sherpas who survived K2 in 2008, out of the 13 who climbed it.

No Way Down: Life and Death on K2 - Graham Bowley, 2011. Another about K2 in 2008.

One Mountain Thousand Summits: The Untold Story of Tragedy and True Heroism on K2 - Freddie Wilkinson, 2011. Yet another about the 2008 deaths.

The Last Man on the Mountain: The Death of an American Adventurer on K2 - Jennifer Jordan, 2011. About the 1939 climb and death of K2's first victim, Dudley Wolfe. The author is the one who found his body 60+ years later.

K2 the 1939 Tragedy - Andrew Kauffman, 1993. Another about the 1938 and 1939 climbs.

Savage Summit: The Life and Death of the First Women of K2 - Jennifer Jordan, 2005. Only 6 women have climbed K2 (as of the book's publishing), and half died on the way down. This covers all 6.

K2: Triumph and Tragedy - Jim Curran, 1989. The 1986 climbing season of K2, when 27 summited but 13 died.

K2: Life and Death on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain - Ed Viesturs, 2010. The mountain's history and 7 of the most deadly years.

OTHER MOUNTAINS

One More Step: My Story of Living with Cerebral Palsy, Climbing Kilimanjaro, and Surviving the Hardest Race on Earth - Bonner Paddock, Neal Bascomb, March 10 2015. Self explanatory.

Where the Mountain Casts Its Shadow: The Dark Side of Extreme Adventure - Maria Coffey, 2005. Interviews with top climbers, widows of dead climbers, the families of climbers, etc. Coffey's husband Joe Tasker died on Everest in 1982.

The Mammoth Book of Mountain Disasters: True Accounts of Rescue from the Brink of Death - Edited by Hamish MacInnes, 2003. 35 First hand accounts.

Tilting at Mountains: Love, Tragedy, and Triumph on the World's Highest Peaks - Edurne Pasaban, 2014. The first woman to climb all 14 8,000 meter peaks.

Mountains In My Heart: A Passion for Climbing - Gerlinde Kaltenbrunner, 2014. First woman to climb all 14 8,000 meter peaks without oxygen.

Reinhold Messner: My Life at the Limit - Reinhold Messner, 2014. Interview between Messner and Thomas Huetlin. Covers climbing, Antarctica, hiking across the Gobi and Tibet, being a member of the European Parliament, "his encounter with and study of Yeti," male/female roles (he is against eating ice cream with girls), and other stuff.

Beyond the Mountain - Steve House, 2012. About his life climbing mountains, including climbing a new route on Nanga Parbat.

The Last of His Kind: The Life and Adventures of Bradford Washburn, America's Boldest Mountaineer - David Roberts, 2009. Photographer and adventurer who has nine first ascents in North America, as well as a cartographer who charted Denali, the Grand Canyon, Everest, and others.

Conquistadors of the Useless - Lionel Terray, 2008. Autobiography. Terray was considered a national hero when he started climbing mountains following WW2. One of National Geographic's 100 Greatest Adventure Books of All Time.

The Beckoning Silence - Joe Simpson, 2003. Simpson, a subject of Touching the Void, goes on the last climb of his life, the north face of Eiger.

Annapurna: The First Conquest of an 8,000-meter Peak - Maurice Herzog, 2010. One of Sports Illustrated's Top 100 Sports Books of All Time.

The Will to Climb: Obsession and Commitment and the Quest to Climb Annapurna--the World's Deadliest Peak - Ed Viesturs, 2012. His three attempts to climb the mountain, while covering the history of others who have tried.

Fiva: An Adventure That Went Wrong - Gordon Stainforth, 2013. In 1969, teenage Stainforth and his idiot twin brother decide to climb the highest rock face in Europe, with no experience or gear. It didn't go well.

Forever on the Mountain: The Truth Behind One of Mountaineering's Most Controversial and Mysterious Disasters - James M. Tabor, 2008. On a climb of Mt McKinley in 1967, seven members of 12 man team became stranded and died. Tabor "uncovers" controversies and cover-ups.

Denali's Howl: The Deadliest Climbing Disaster on America's Wildest Peak - Andy Hall, 2014. Another on the 1967 climb of Mt McKinley, this one by the son of the then-park superintendent. This one focuses on the actual story, along with the story of the people trying to rescue the stranded climbers, and what could have been done differently.

Surviving Denali: A Study of Accidents on Mount McKinley 1903-1990 - Jonathan Waterman, 1991. Pretty straight forward.

The Naked Mountaineer: Misadventures of an Alpine Traveler - Steve Sieberson, 2014. A lighthearted look at climbing smaller mountains (Matterhorn, places in Borneo, etc.) and the people he meets and adventures he has.

Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident - Donnie Eichar, 2014. Includes photos, the climbers' journals, government files, etc., along with the author retracing their steps. I'm including this one on the subject because it came out late last year so hopefully actually covers the truth instead of still trying to push it as a mystery/aliens.

Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why - Laurence Gonzales, 2004. Self explanatory, with a focus on mountains.

CAVES & DIVING & ETC

Blind Descent: The Quest to Discover the Deepest Cave on Earth - James M. Tabor, 2011. Using journals, interviews, etc. Tabor covers two explorers as they both try to reach the deepest point on earth in 2004 - Bill Stone in the Cheve Cave of Mexico, and Alexander Klimchouk in a supercave in Georgia (the country). Both spent months underground and one cited review mentions "deadly falls, killer microbes, sudden burial, asphyxiation, claustrophobia, anxiety, and hallucinations. . ."

Beyond the Deep: The Deadly Descent into the World's Most Treacherous Cave - William Stone, Barbara am Ende, 2002. In 1994, 45 people go into the Huautla Cave in Mexico, led by the author. People die, floods force people back, and the two authors pushed on for another two weeks and set the record for deepest cave dive.

Diving into Darkness: A True Story of Death and Survival - Phillip Finch, 2008. Two of the world's top divers traveled to Bushman's Hole in the Kalahari Desert, one dies and one barely survives.

Fatal Depth: Deep Sea Diving, China Fever, And The Wreck Of The Andrea Doria - Joe Haberstroh, 2004. Follows divers trying to reach the Andrea Doria in 1998-1999, when three people died. Goes into the history of the ship along with the divers' lives and what pushes them to dive just to bring back a teacup.

Alone on the Ice: The Greatest Survival Story in the History of Exploration - David Roberts, 2014. Douglas Mawson's crazy expedition to Antarctica in 1913.

The Last Season - Eric Blehm, 2007. Backcountry ranger Randy Morgenson mysteriously vanishes in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Rondette fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
body pic is creepy

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The Canadian lady's story is hilarious.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/m/episodes/2012-2013/into-the-death-zone

Here is a link to a documentary about it. She was a loving idiot.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
somebody should poo poo on the OP's dick

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

dad gay. so what posted:

That's no way to speak about a lady.

Sweepstakes on the number of dead this season? Any number between 0 and 100 (incl. climbers and sherpas, both Tibetan and Nepalese sides)? My pick 41 total.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

dad gay. so what posted:

Charming!

I'll join in the death toll sweepstake and put a punt on 34

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
that woman was a loving moron if it makes you feel any better

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Chinatown posted:

that woman was a loving moron if it makes you feel any better

She was the first Canadian woman of south Asian descent to become a human popsicle in a $8,000 down suit on the world's highest rubbish tip.

And no one will ever take that record from her. :colbert:

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
Any notable douchebags attempting this year we should know about ? I want to be the first Filipino transgender colorblind lesbian double amputee gulf war veteran to summit.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I'm gonna start an adventure tour travel agency, but we're just gonna kill all our customers, drain as much of their money as we can, and claim they died on the great adventure they paid to go on. In reality, the unconscious bodies will be auctioned off to wealthy cannibals immediately after we gently caress 'em up with the captive bolt gun. Hell I bet there's people who would pay for THAT.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

She was the first Canadian woman of south Asian descent to become a human popsicle in a $8,000 down suit on the world's highest rubbish tip.

And no one will ever take that record from her. :colbert:

I did do some photoshops in the intervening years

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
MIB 3 is awesome

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rondette posted:

2014 was hotly anticipated by goons after some notable failures in previous years, including this unfortunate Canadian Lady in 2012 who photoshopped herself into some mountain scenes as part of her climbing preparation.

Her last words always stuck with me

"DON'T LEAVE ME HERE TO DIE"

because it sounds pretty bitch rear end

you better believe if you fucks were leaving me to die on everest i'd have some more... colorful language

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

my questoin is if oxygen is a problem why dont they bring more of it lol

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

1gnoirents posted:

my questoin is if oxygen is a problem why dont they bring more of it lol

they should just suck more air ??!

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dMastri posted:

Her last words always stuck with me

"DON'T LEAVE ME HERE TO DIE"

because it sounds pretty bitch rear end

you better believe if you fucks were leaving me to die on everest i'd have some more... colorful language

She was a moron. She was warned like a hundred times to go back down because she didn't have enough oxygen to ascend and descend and she didn't listen. She made it to the top but died going down.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Post pics of dead people preferably with blog posts by them before they were dead about how they wanted to climb the mountain and then let's laugh at them for failing.

That's my favorite part about these threads.

Backcountry
Jan 16, 2009
I'm a former mountaineer and can tell you with absolute certainty that the only people who do this kind of poo poo anymore are complete douchbags. I hope they all die.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
I had a thought that they should get those rebreathers that the divers use. But I sure it is prohibitively heavy. I seem to remember reading that you can barely walk in them before getting into the water, but that might have just been due to the dry suit and other gear.

Either way, those pressurized tents that the doctors on Everest use on climbers who get altitude sickness are pretty neat. Definitely would think every team would want to pack one or two of those for emergencies.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Gripen5 posted:

I had a thought that they should get those rebreathers that the divers use. But I sure it is prohibitively heavy. I seem to remember reading that you can barely walk in them before getting into the water, but that might have just been due to the dry suit and other gear.

I wondered about that but don't those rebreathers have a 10-20% complete malfunction rate? Killed a whole lot of cavers (in the last thread). Posters itt check your apparatus. tia

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Why not just use really long lengths of garden hose

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
because it's there

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I wondered about that but don't those rebreathers have a 10-20% complete malfunction rate? Killed a whole lot of cavers (in the last thread). Posters itt check your apparatus. tia

when exposed to frost and cold, and if you include every one attempted to mountain climb from 1938 until now

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I was happy when that Canadian lady died but felt a little guilty. Now that I am watching the documentary I am even happier and don't feel guilty at all.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

i hope a goon dies on everest with a something awful grenade keychain, thats the only way we'll be remembered in the future

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

if you go to everest make sore you have Something Awful merch on you please

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

winner on the death sweepstake 2015 gets to climb and die in 2016. kickstart it

E: Choose your number. I have 41 and I'm afraid of heights :ohdear:

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Demonachizer posted:

I was happy when that Canadian lady died but felt a little guilty. Now that I am watching the documentary I am even happier and don't feel guilty at all.

lol snowbinded by hubris

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Demonachizer posted:

what documentary is that

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

a hole-y ghost posted:

i hope a goon dies on everest with a something awful grenade keychain, thats the only way we'll be remembered in the future

eh sure, but can it wait another decade or two?

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
woah this mountain rules and owns people on the reg

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
buy mt everest an sa account

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Chinatown posted:

what documentary is that

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

mookface posted:

The Canadian lady's story is hilarious.

Here is a link to a documentary about it. She was a loving idiot.

Oh my god, this is what happens when absurd narcisism and Dunning-Krueger collide. This is so upsetting to watch, but I can't look away. :magical:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Tipps posted:

Oh my god, this is what happens when absurd narcisism and Dunning-Krueger collide. This is so upsetting to watch, but I can't look away. :magical:

Its not upsetting to watch actually its pure lol how is this person so loving dumb.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Honestly if I had to choose where I died it'd be at the summit. At least I'd have you goons talking about my death for years to come.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Post pics of dead people preferably with blog posts by them before they were dead about how they wanted to climb the mountain and then let's laugh at them for failing.

That's my favorite part about these threads.
I think we get a free pass on that one. You think we're over-critical of her now that she's dead, you should see the poo poo we slung before she died. That woman was not prepared to climb Everest.

The 2013 fight between sherpas and Euli Steck + company was a major disappointment to me. If there is anything I would like to see on Everest, it's more alpinist-style climbers going up there without fixed lines alongside a team of sherpas in some high altitude traffic jam. And then some famous alpinist climbers set out to do just that and got attacked by sherpas because they had to cross over a line the sherpas were fixing and allegedly knocked ice down on them.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

They should make a series of zip lines that go from the summit all the way down to base camp.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Chinatown posted:

Its not upsetting to watch actually its pure lol how is this person so loving dumb.

It is almost more amazing how her friends and family are just like oh she was super determined and poo poo. Her sister commented on how she was lazy and never wanted to walk anywhere preferring to take a taxi.

What a useless piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Here are the previous years threads-

• Locked thread