Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Pawn 17 posted:

They should make a series of zip lines that go from the summit all the way down to base camp.

Better to just lie on your side and roll down.

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

These threads are my favorite ones of the year. It's fascinating to read all about something that I will absolutely never do, and the fates of people that do not have the appropriate fear of the cruelty of nature.

mookface posted:

The Canadian lady's story is hilarious.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/m/episodes/2012-2013/into-the-death-zone

Here is a link to a documentary about it. She was a loving idiot.

Link for non-mobile version:
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/episodes/2012-2013/into-the-death-zone

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 12, 2015

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Rondette, having looked at the photo of your books, I think you'd be the perfect poster to start a mountaineering thread in Book Barn.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Rondette, having looked at the photo of your books, I think you'd be the perfect poster to start a mountaineering thread in Book Barn.

I have even more now.....I shall corrall them all and share. I am a total armchair mountaineer though, I took the train on Snowdon.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I want to feel bad about that lady but she was just so dumb. Everyone tried to tell her this was stupid even on the ascent ,the professional climbers were like "Lady you have no oxygen left if you keep going you are seriously going to die!" , "My dreams will see me through this hardship" -Everest deathtoll +1

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Rondette posted:

I have even more now.....I shall corrall them all and share. I am a total armchair mountaineer though, I took the train on Snowdon.

I started the polar exploration thread in the Book Barn and do you think I've ever got scurvy or killed a seal?* Start the thread and the experts will contribute, recommend and answer questions. :)

* Except by accident.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I mean this poo poo isn't any sort of accomplishment you can be proud of. I have respect for those army dudes climbing the challenge slope to a degree, but paying a bunch of Sherpa's to do all the work and then coral you up the south face while praying this particular group of retard westerner suburbanites doesn't get themselves killed on their watch is dumb as hell.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Axetrain posted:

I want to feel bad about that lady but she was just so dumb. Everyone tried to tell her this was stupid even on the ascent ,the professional climbers were like "Lady you have no oxygen left if you keep going you are seriously going to die!" , "My dreams will see me through this hardship" -Everest deathtoll +1

She was dumb as hell to be sure. The only thing is that when you have paid $40k, traveled half way across the world and are that close to the summit (and your brain isn't working properly) it's probably pretty hard to turn back and leave without ever making it.

Before even leaving, you'd have to be ready to accept paying all that money and spending all that time and failing; which I think many aren't.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Axetrain posted:

Yeah, I'm watching that CBC video now and man, she just had a death wish and there should've just been people that flat-out refused to take her up for her own stupid good.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Demonachizer posted:

I was happy when that Canadian lady died but felt a little guilty. Now that I am watching the documentary I am even happier and don't feel guilty at all.

Oh god, she took a huge picture of her in the yellow snowsuit to Everest :doh:

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdMV42czPCI

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rondette posted:

Oh god, she took a huge picture of her in the yellow snowsuit to Everest :doh:

And hung out for over half an hour at the summit after her oxygen supply was dangerously low :doh:
Like I said... death wish. She was clearly driven by narcissism, and now she gets her ultimate wish as a frozen lump draped in a Canadian flag.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Aha, here's the original thread from 2011.....
Abandoned on Everest-rest-rest-rest:: Human endurance, corpses and sperg rage ITT

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

that was just an alt and her main characters alive and kicking... the jokes on us :wth:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Haha I started watching that documentary, I'm at the part where they are saying "she will be the first south-east Asian woman from Canada to reach the top" I laughed out loud what a worthless claim to fame.

E: Holy gently caress she just picked some startup company that had never taken a single person up the mountain before, lol.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 12, 2015

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
now she's not even the first corpse you see on the way up

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

vvvvvvvvv
Yes, she is....http://www.alyssaazar.com.au although unlike our Canadian friend she seems to have actually climbed some mountains.

vvvvvvvv

Rondette fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 13, 2015

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

What's the betting we see that teenage girl who was planning to ascend last year have a go this year? It got talked about in the last thread but.... :effort:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

:confused:

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

What's the betting we see that teenage girl who was planning to ascend last year have a go this year? It got talked about in the last thread but.... :effort:

I doubt it. Her book she pre wrote of her experiences there doesn't make sense anymore. And her dad is probably broke from sending her last year.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

One of the first google results is still the facebook page. I thought it was a joke thing until I looked at the dates...

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Now, I probably couldn't summit Everest even if I were hauled up by Sherpas in a portable Oxygen tent, but some people have managed it alone with nothing more than some basic climbing gear.

Everest today is just Sherpas hauling your rear end up a bunch of ropes and bridges they placed ahead of time while hauling your oxygen bottles for you, right? That hardly seems an impressive accomplishment compared to what the first people to summit Everest must have brought.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Ursine Asylum posted:

One of the first google results is still the facebook page. I thought it was a joke thing until I looked at the dates...

Hey guys I climbed a 20ft rock climbing wall rated a 5.6 WELP TIME FOR EVEREST

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Saddest thing about Mt. Everest to me is that its littered with discarded trash now. People talk about how its such a beautiful place but then you see pictures of all the stuff climbers have left behind on it in their quest for the top. So yeah, even if you succeed in reaching one of the most remarkable places on the planet, in the process you've tarnished it further and ruined its natural splendor. The whole thing is a testament to greed. Spend a ridiculous amount of cash, get pulled up a slope, throw crap on it before stumbling back down.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Saddest thing about Mt. Everest to me is that its littered with discarded trash now. People talk about how its such a beautiful place but then you see pictures of all the stuff climbers have left behind on it in their quest for the top. So yeah, even if you succeed in reaching one of the most remarkable places on the planet, in the process you've tarnished it further and ruined its natural splendor. The whole thing is a testament to greed. Spend a ridiculous amount of cash, get pulled up a slope, throw crap on it before stumbling back down.

Trash and poo poo. It is the frozen Ganges

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

This documentary is amazing, glad this thread is here.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
The way they stay tactful and maintain a tone of respect just makes the whole trainwreck-in-motion more damning as it reaches the conclusion.

These threads got me to read several books and watch more mountaineering documentaries than I can recall. Did I ever post about my brief stint? I was considering climbing Mt. Whitney and trying to get in shape for that. For Whitney I'd have to start at 7,000 ft and climb 7,000 ft elevation in a day. (Ultimately, I never got in good enough condition to make an attempt.) I made a habit of hiking up a nearby 2,000 ft mountain. Not much of a mountain, I know, but I'd go down to the beach first so I could at least start at literal sea-level. I needed to see how I could fare at higher elevations so I took a trip. I started in the grand tetons doing half-day hikes starting at I think 6,000 ft elevation. I'm sure some of you live at higher altitudes than that, but I was coming from sea-level and wanted to give myself room to acclimate. I didn't have much difficulty.

Next I went to yellowstone and did 2 all-day hikes both around 7,000 ft. Finally I went for Mt. Washburn (10,000 ft) and that completely floored me. I ran out of breath in no time at all, then just couldn't catch my breath again.

I really pushed myself but I reached a point where every few steps up was a struggle. My legs weren't particularly tired but my lungs were having no more, I hit a wall around 500 ft from the summit and couldn't go on. I'd stopped to take breathers before but this one was it for me, the last 500 ft was 500 ft I didn't have in me. Then a gorgeous girl in short shorts powered her way by me and shot me a smile.

She was just leaving when I reached the summit but at least I got to talk to her. :shobon: Finally, I went to glacier national which was by far the most beautiful location.

A little scary at times as well.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Sanctum posted:

I think we get a free pass on that one. You think we're over-critical of her now that she's dead, you should see the poo poo we slung before she died. That woman was not prepared to climb Everest.

The 2013 fight between sherpas and Euli Steck + company was a major disappointment to me. If there is anything I would like to see on Everest, it's more alpinist-style climbers going up there without fixed lines alongside a team of sherpas in some high altitude traffic jam. And then some famous alpinist climbers set out to do just that and got attacked by sherpas because they had to cross over a line the sherpas were fixing and allegedly knocked ice down on them.
That wasn't a fakepost I legit like laughing at dead bodies and the stories attached to them.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Now I want to climb Everest and be the first person to rail the first Southeast Asian Woman From Canada To Summit Everest.

Also, how come nobody's ridden a snowmobile off the peak of Everest and then wingsuited down with a GoPro on their helmet? I want to see that fuckin' footage.

(Yes, I understand that none of that is possible, doesn't mean it wouldn't rule)

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

if Everest is an overhyped bitch mountain full of trash, what is an actual cool mountain to climb?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

mookface posted:

She was a moron. She was warned like a hundred times to go back down because she didn't have enough oxygen to ascend and descend and she didn't listen. She made it to the top but died going down.

How many women must suffocate while going down before action is taken?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Fonzarelli posted:

if Everest is an overhyped bitch mountain full of trash, what is an actual cool mountain to climb?

K2 probably.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

or annapurna

enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Fonzarelli posted:

K2. Your mushed up gore-ghost will have the most insane stories in heaven.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Fonzarelli posted:

We've been over this, K2. Or annapurna. The kind of mountains where entire climbing teams vanish in avalanches and serac falls. Warranted that happened in Everest recently, but for K2 or annapurna those are regular occurrences.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Hell, if you're looking for technically challenging climbs that aren't on murdermountains that thirst for human blood, go climb Mount Rainier or some poo poo.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

I TOTALLY DID IT AND OVERCAME THE ODDS AND IT WAS A TOTAL JOURNEY OF SPIRIT MIND AND BODY AND FEW CAN SAY THEY DID WHAT I DID BUT I BEAT ADVERSITY AND DID IT #IDIDIT

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Would it be possible to build some sort of trebuchet to fling me to the mountain's peak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

how could y'all forget about the cutest thing about everest?

:3:

• Locked thread