Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Even in the documentary, he didn't really look sad. Just exasperated and angry. "Yeah... I uh, admire that she had the guts to do it." :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm Crap posted:

dunked the claim form into the basura laughin'

"Basura" has me cracking up for some reason.

Something Awful Mountaineering Threads: Denying life insurance claims since 2011.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
He probably hated her and was too weak-willed to get a divorce, so he just let her go and die so that he had an easy way out + a tray of funeral fudge at the ceremony in Nepal. :shrug:

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
Thanks to this thread i watched the Everest documentary on Netflix last night, it was pretty good. 45 minutes long and narrated by Liam Neeson, it doesn't get much better than that. The documentary was filmed during 1996 when all those idiots died during that storm. The guy leading the expedition for the documentary was at base camp when the other groups of climbers decided to make for the summit with the weather being really bad. The expedition lead said "nope, too dangerous" and decided to wait a while longer. He then got to talk to his friend who was stuck up on the mountain dying during the storm, knowing he could do nothing to save him. It was ok, not enough shots of dead bodies, and could have used a little more death.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
Somebody should like make the ultimate sacrifice and carry a boat anchor up there and just die right on top of the summit thus spoiling the amusement park.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
25 CRAZY FACTS THAT WILL MAKE YOU WANT TO CLIMB MOUNT EVEREST:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnN3ABP5XQ4

"Number twenty: One out of every ten successful climbs to the summit ends in death."

A very poorly-titled video.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Lincoln posted:

25 CRAZY FACTS THAT WILL MAKE YOU WANT TO CLIMB MOUNT EVEREST:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnN3ABP5XQ4

"Number twenty: One out of every ten successful climbs to the summit ends in death."

A very poorly-titled video.

my main response to reading "into thin air" was wanting to climb mt. everest so i guess this works on me?

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Torka posted:

not surprisingly
sorry about not being a pussy

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Into The Silence by Wade Davis is a fantastic book about Mallory and the early British attempts on Everest. Mallory was kind of a dick who talked non stop poo poo about his fellow expedition members and repeatedly failed at whatever he was doing. Notably, Mallory considered the mountain unclimbable and had all but given up until George Finch and Geoff Bruce (an untrained soldier with zero mountaineering experience) set a height record climbing with bottled oxygen.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

nomadologique posted:

my main response to reading "into thin air" was wanting to climb mt. everest so i guess this works on me?

I haven't read such a page-turner of a book in years. One thing that stands out is how easy a time of it, the book writer had compared to everyone else. People are going insane (checking air bottles in the pile) on top and he's just chugging along, no big deal. Everyone drops like flies and he's all "doodley doo, doop de doop, climbing everest, maybe I'll do it again some day" (no I don't know if he actually said that)

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Has anyone every through hiked from sea level to the summit because that would be cool as hell.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
in the endless quest to be the first by any metric, any qualifier at all, ofc they have

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Macartney-Snape

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

XMNN posted:

in the endless quest to be the first by any metric, any qualifier at all, ofc they have

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Macartney-Snape

not impressed unless they went from the dead sea to everest

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

Cuckoo posted:

Even in the documentary, he didn't really look sad. Just exasperated and angry. "Yeah... I uh, admire that she had the guts to do it." :geno:

I finally watched it, and the part where they showed the rescue party lifting her body up freaked me the gently caress out for some reason. Like "oh, dude's lifting her up and they're...OH GOD LOOK AT THE CREEPY FROZEN CORPSICLE POSITION SHE'S IN."

The sherpas who go up into the Death Zone just to get the bodies must have gigantic balls.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
Canadian Girl is my new idol

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

:spergin: posted:

At that time he rated the difficulty of the Second Step as 5.10—well outside of Mallory's capability ... Houlding rated the climb at 5.9, just within Mallory's estimated capabilities.

What's the difference between a 5.9 and a 5.10? "Just within" and "well outside" don't help here.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Those guys finished El Capitan free climbing. Wow.

Star Trek episode V may get a new cgi opening with Shatner programmed over their faces. :)

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Howard Beale posted:

What's the difference between a 5.9 and a 5.10? "Just within" and "well outside" don't help here.

I found this:

http://outdoorswithdave.com/climbing/climbing-ratings

It doesn't really help all that much...

But it sounds like 5.9 is something that is at the far extent of a beginner, but doable. While the 5.10 is where things start to get difficult to the point that you would need regular training for quite some time. It also seems to be where it transitions from near vertical climb at 5.9 to vertical or past vertical at 5.10 and above.

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy

Gripen5 posted:

But it sounds like 5.9 is something that is at the far extent of a beginner, but doable. While the 5.10 is where things start to get difficult to the point that you would need regular training for quite some time. It also seems to be where it transitions from near vertical climb at 5.9 to vertical or past vertical at 5.10 and above.

That still doesn't really make sense in this case. Mallory did things that people thought were impossible while climbing. Why would it be out of his ability to do a climb like that?

What does the Mallory's pipe route look like? I assume it must be comparable to what Everest has.

Also, that's a pretty sudden jump in difficulty if 5.9 is doable and 5.10 is almost impossible.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I've been wanting to play around with and look at a 3D model of Everest to get a better sense of scale, but I didn't think to use Google Maps until today.

https://goo.gl/maps/D4ZCF

There's the link, if anyone else is interested.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Ok so indulge me for a post. I'm a minor cave diver, only a few dozen under my belt, my thing is being a deep ocean wreck diver. I know a few people
Who have died . I train and study all the time: Am I a dumb idiot according to this thread

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bishop posted:

Ok so indulge me for a post. I'm a minor cave diver, only a few dozen under my belt, my thing is being a deep ocean wreck diver. I know a few people
Who have died . I train and study all the time: Am I a dumb idiot according to this thread

For taking enough offense to make this post yeah a little

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtlwoX1YEmg

No. Nnnnnooooooope. Nuh-uh.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ive done a couple of cenote dives they were pretty fun

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

This doesn't even look cool or interesting or fun

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Minrad posted:

I've been wanting to play around with and look at a 3D model of Everest to get a better sense of scale, but I didn't think to use Google Maps until today.

https://goo.gl/maps/D4ZCF

There's the link, if anyone else is interested.

What's up with that green snow? I'd guess it was just built from crappy photographs, but the green appears to be in striations.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

also chiming in on the "i watched that documentary about the canadian woman and lol"

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Bishop posted:

Nah, a lot of the fatal cave diving posts involved deep dives.

Normal scuba license goes to 60 feet and plenty of those were 200+. This is where it gets hairy, at that deep its not just the cave but the pressure that's deadly.

That being said I do love diving but my sense of adventure ends right about where I need a flashlight

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

But it was her dream!

Seriously though, her husband must've been a weak willed piece of poo poo to just agree and let her spend $50-60k just so she can climb the world's tallest mountain even though she has literally zero experience. There's comprising in marriages and then there's "gently caress no I will not be a party to your death wish". That he didn't even fight her on it and tell her to climb some other smaller mountains first means he was either as dumb as her or completely cowed by her.

Well, if you have not signed a prenup, and are reasonably well doing financially, divorcing from your bossy, know it all, annoying wife can ger a lot morr costly than letting her spend 50k on what you know will most lukely be her own funeral.

I wish I was joking but it makes sense... she must have been a loving burden for him, assuming her last wise decision was a typical example of her behaviour in everyday life.

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

that poo poo doesn't even look like a cave at the surface

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Didn't know a YouTube video could give me claustrophobia. Push this oxygen tank through a tiny cave, if you gently caress up and get stuck, you die. Enjoy the scenery.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
I'm going to go via pressurized space suit exo suit combo and waddle my way to the top with goatse strapped to the back of my EVA pack. And on the way down my sweet gold tinted visor is going to have etching with a big "LOL" on the front.

Im surprised someone hasn't brought up a full pressure suit to go ez mode but maybe its all about ~*~tHe cHaLleNGe~*~.

Also laughed at dumb canada woman. Whats her bitch idiot ex husbando being owned by now?

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Roki B posted:

I'm going to go via pressurized space suit exo suit combo and waddle my way to the top with goatse strapped to the back of my EVA pack. And on the way down my sweet gold tinted visor is going to have etching with a big "LOL" on the front.

Sounds like a good(?) Kickstarter idea.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

does anyone have the gif of the trek one has to make just to get to the base of k2?

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Noslo posted:

Nah, a lot of the fatal cave diving posts involved deep dives.

Normal scuba license goes to 60 feet and plenty of those were 200+. This is where it gets hairy, at that deep its not just the cave but the pressure that's deadly.

That being said I do love diving but my sense of adventure ends right about where I need a flashlight
ive done around 25 deeper than 200ft and a lot approaching that. Deep diving and cave diving are two somewhat separate things. You can deep dive or cave dive or both. In my experience a lot of cave dives are deep and long enough that we use mixed gas ( non air- oxygen nitrogen helium) mixes, and have to follow a decompression schedule, meaning you have to switch gasses and hang out at certain depths

My deepest dives are ocean: when I go deep I'm mainly worried about the narcotic effects of my various breathing gasses. If I'm dicing a rebreather I want to make sure it's properly maintaing a partial pressure of oxygen that won't make me have a seizure and die. I'm also worried about being able to launch a surface marker, which I have to attach to a 400+ ft reel and then inflate at depth. If your reel jams while it's heading to the surface you just have to let go or it's an elevator ride to hell

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Bishop posted:

ive done around 25 deeper than 200ft and a lot approaching that. Deep diving and cave diving are two somewhat separate things. You can deep dive or cave dive or both. In my experience a lot of cave dives are deep and long enough that we use mixed gas ( non air- oxygen nitrogen helium) mixes, and have to follow a decompression schedule, meaning you have to switch gasses and hang out at certain depths

My deepest dives are ocean: when I go deep I'm mainly worried about the narcotic effects of my various breathing gasses. If I'm dicing a rebreather I want to make sure it's properly maintaing a partial pressure of oxygen that won't make me have a seizure and die. I'm also worried about being able to launch a surface marker, which I have to attach to a 400+ ft reel and then inflate at depth. If your reel jams while it's heading to the surface you just have to let go or it's an elevator ride to hell

I mainly love reading about this sort of poo poo so I never ever have to do it, tbh!

Oh, I'm also enjoying playing Far Cry 4 which is set in the Himalayas. It also has some bits where you go high-altitude and I think this qualifies me to cllmb Everest more than Yellow-suit.

Oh, they also ran a pre-release competition in which you could win a trip to Everest and play the game on the mountain.
http://venturebeat.com/2014/11/17/far-cry-4-fan-climbs-mount-everest-to-play-it-it-all-seems-so-unreal/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3pw_HOBiAc

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

mookface posted:

The Canadian lady's story is hilarious.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/m/episodes/2012-2013/into-the-death-zone

Here is a link to a documentary about it. She was a loving idiot.

What a bizarre trainwreck of one willful person.

"For the sixteenth time this is stupid and you're not trained and you're gonna die"
"Nah it's cool I'm willful"

Canadian piano player just like :unsmith:

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
It's the partial pressure of oxygen, not absolute concentration which you fuckers should know, a la diffusion. There is not less oxygen by percentage.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Well on the bright side now he can go climb it and be The First Canadian Pianist Formerly Married to a Woman of South Asian Origin who Immigrated to Canada and then Died While Climbing Mount Everest to summit.

Really one for the history books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

In his biography, The Wildest Dream, it says that the story about the pipe was probably made up. He just invented it as an excuse to climb that route solo.

quote:

The controversy arises from the fact that George climbed the route alone. At that time solo climbing was considered an unjustifiable practice, since anyone who fell would almost certainly be killed. Some climbers did it but kept their ascents secret. Later guidebook editors dismissed the story of George's ascent as apocryphal and refused to include it in their lists, but his biographer David Robertson, who assessed the evidence carefully, concluded that it was true. In retrospect it is most likely that George's description of the ascent was accurate but the pipe story was not. It may well have been that George had gone with Trafford to sniff around Lliwedd for fresh routes. Having set up the line of Slab Climb, he found that Trafford was unable to follow, and so completed the route himself. Because solo climbing was considered such anathema, George may have invented the story of the pipe to justify what he had done.

• Locked thread